for not expecting a 2yo to call my bluff

(58 Posts)

I asked dd to come upstairs and get dressed
She asked why?
Because we're going to <aunt and uncles who she knows well and loves seeing>
But I don't want to
Ok shall we just go and leave you here? (usually is followed by a frenzy of dressing and cries of NO NO
Ok I just stay here
<big smile...goes off to play with toys>
I know they say don't threaten something you can't follow through, but really! Have I been outsmarted by a toddler?

Mrsjay Sun 17-Jun-12 11:49:48

I think some posters are taking this a bit too serious it is all very lighthearted and baby stealth is an obvious genuis grin glad she is dressed she wouldve been freezing going out in the buff,

EarnestDullard Sun 17-Jun-12 11:50:17

I'd much rather negotiate with my (also 2yo) DD than drag her kicking and screaming.

Oh ffs. Parent how you like. If this had been life or death then yes I'd have put my foot down. It wasn't and I teased her a bit. Life must be very dour when you just parent to the rules all the time.

BikeRunSki Sun 17-Jun-12 11:55:10

I've used this threat and carried it through. Got me and DF ready, into car, said goodbye to (naked) DS, locked front door, got into car. Rang landmine from car. P.

Sorry, that rant was only to lapis really who saw fit to ask if the world had gone mad because someone teased thir toddler. I know others have given advice andim grateful though Tbh she usually just does as I ask. Presumably that means I'm in for it when she's a teen!

hels71 Sun 17-Jun-12 11:57:34

I tried that with DD, 4. I said if you don't hurry I will just have to leave without you. she looked at me and said "I'm too little to leave on my own. That's illegal mummy"....................Oh dear!!!!!!

I did then say she could then choose to dress herself quickly or I would dress her AND choose her clothes..that worked much better as she does not approve of my choices!!!

BikeRunSki Sun 17-Jun-12 11:58:11

.... from above...
Rang land line from car to show DS that there really were no grown ups in the house. About 1 min after leaving the house I opened the door to find DS with his pants and socks on in the hallway. Top and jeans were easy after that!

LapisBlue Sun 17-Jun-12 11:59:33

And the poster who responded to you originally, I suppose, talking about "what mummy says goes". Rant = no effect whatsoever. Raw nerve, I guess.

Lol at that's illegal mummy and bikerunski setting off land mines under her reluctant toddler

Morloth Sun 17-Jun-12 12:00:13

Both my kids have just waved and said bye! If I tried the whole pretend to leave thing.

What got easiest compliance from DS1 was a 5 minutes heads up and for DS2 he likes to say good bye to stuff.

Obviously sometimes they just have to come immediately, but hey if you can come to a mutually agreeable solution then why not?

Well I think she missed he point of the threAD but wasn't quite so scathing. Why does everything have to be done acccorkng to the rules, I was having a bit of fun, no call for world gone mad comments really

LapisBlue Sun 17-Jun-12 12:06:05

the so-called "rules", although why you would want to call them that is odd - your choice I guess - are there to prevent you storing up trouble when your child becomes REALLY stroppy and drives you to drink.

It also means that other adults don't have to put up with screaming brats in cafes. I didn't mean to offend you, however the second poster did NOT miss the point of your thread from where I'm sitting.

Mrsjay Sun 17-Jun-12 12:07:38

oh Lapis she was having a bit of fun with her toddler and posted about it , jeez this isnt setting her DD up to be a brat hmm

redwhiteandblueeyedsusan Sun 17-Jun-12 12:12:14

ds had a tantrum because he could not wear tights to school under his trousers in a heat wave. he ended up going to the car in pants and tshirt only with the rest of his clothes in a bag. dressed in the car with no problem once we got to dd's school.

TheProvincialLady Sun 17-Jun-12 12:13:49

If you spend all your energy making your toddler do things THIS INSTANT and having no sense of humour, you are far more likely to have a resentful child later on and nowhere to go with your threats/demands. There is a middle way between letting your child do what they like and always insisting they do what you say that very second. And in my experience, it does not lead to screaming brats in cafes. A bit of humour and mutual respect is just plain human decency. I experienced Victorian parenting in all its glory and it's nothing to be proud of.

MissTapestry Sun 17-Jun-12 12:17:14

Oh my god, MN would be so booooring if nobody could ever be light hearted. Fgs, I might have to join the real world today.

Although that could be a danger as obviously mini stealth is out there lurking and waiting to cause trouble just because her mother had a laugh this morning hmm

Bless her Stealth I love it when they call your bluff. I actually see it as a positive thing because it makes me evaluate my parenting if DS does it. Not in a OMG where have I gone wrong way but usually in a 'fuck, I really need to stop theatening things he knows won't happen way'

Although at 2yo DS refused to get dressed so he went out in his pushchair in his vest and pants. It was 10am and the puddles were still frozen over. He never refused to get dressed again. grin

<disclaimer I had clothes in my bag so when he turned blue! got cold.>

BegoniaBigtoes Sun 17-Jun-12 12:23:35

My 2yo DD did this the other day on the toy bus outside the supermarket. Very stupid of me to even try it, in retrospect.

Me: Come on DD come on, going shopping!
DD: I playing! I on bus!
Me: Come on come on blah blah etc.
DD: No!
Me: Do you want me to leave you here then? Bye DD! Bye!
DD: Bye mummy! Bye! See you later!
Me: <hovers pathetically nearby>
DD: Go WAY mummy! Go shopping!

Bystanders: hmm

Lastofthepodpeople Sun 17-Jun-12 12:27:17

Hmm, I tried this with DS and he got so upset, it took almost half an hour to calm him down. And he was extra clingy for ages after that. Never did it again.

mumeeee Sun 17-Jun-12 16:40:14

LapisBlue. I sometimes did things like stealth and other posters have said with my DDs when they were little, They didn't grow up into brats and if it was really important that they did as they were told that instant I would insis,but you have to have humour in parenting aswell as jusy insisting you are obeyed. My DDs are now all in thier 20s and I polite mature adults.

Softlysoftly Sun 17-Jun-12 16:57:04

I always joke and negotiate with DD1 (2.8) and she has so far avoided the "terrible two's" tantrums by having choices, doesn't mean when push comes to shove mummys way doesn't come first lighten up!

I can however never shout now sad I had a shouty mummy moment in the car (sleep deprivation, empty fuel gauge, crying DD2 3wks), we got home, DD1 in tears, she hid under kitchen table then came storming through, hands on hips and says:

"mummy, you said fuckiks sake to the car, now say sorry and don't never ever shout at us again OK!?"

and I did I'm now her bitch

CrystalsAreCool Wed 20-Jun-12 13:00:55

It's funny, since the thread was posted, me & dd (who is nearly 9) passed a toddler and a mum in the street saying "I'm going now bye" and walking off cos her toddler was refusing to budge , dd said "You used to do that to me didn't you!" She remembered! shock. I chuckled and said "Yeah, it was the only way i could get you to come!" grin

missnevermind Wed 20-Jun-12 13:31:40

DS(3) Didnt want to go to Mums and tots last week, so like you do, I said me and the baby would go then.

Same here he just waved us off, I too believe that you dont say something you wont carry through.
So I put the front door on the latch and made a big show of getting the pram out of the door, shouting to DS that he wasnt allowed to move or touch anything untill we got back from playing - He said OK Mum hmm.

So i stood on the doorstep for a few mins and then opened the door and shouted through that I had forgotten the babies blanket. DS said Wait for me mummy I will come too!

cory Wed 20-Jun-12 13:49:18

Lapis, I think the essence of good parenting is confident parenting. To me, that means you can afford to sometimes treat things lightly or to cut a bit of slack, sometimes even to let them win an argument, because you know and they know that at the end of the day you do have the authority to make them behave. It's like a confident teacher with an excellent discipline record can afford to be far more relaxed in front of a class than a nervous and inexperienced teacher.

Sometimes I have watched friends of mine watching their children like hawks for signs of rebelliousness and doling out punishments right, left and centre, and I have reflected that the message they are really sending out is that they are afraid of losing the upper hand- so they are putting that idea into the child's head as a distinct possibility. Which isn't something I'd care to do.

I had a very similar toddler: dd was never taken in by anything and was always questioning my decision and my knowledge. But eventually she got used to the idea that there wasn't any point because she couldn't shake me or unsettle me. She is a very compliant teen, really remarkably open to the idea that nearly 50 years of life experience might just be an advantage compared to 15.

Ds was a sweet and easily manipulated toddler. He is quite a difficult pre-teen, but he only really challenges his dad, not me, because dad gets ratty. Very quickly.

CrystalsAreCool Thu 21-Jun-12 12:46:15

You make a good point cory, I think you're right.
Part of my confidence though, and dd's understanding, was that I always followed my threats through, never promised anything that I couldn't guarantee, never gave in to a 'no', etc etc, so she initially learnt that way that what I say goes. Therefore when I had to just be strict & confident as you say, it was easy because she knew there was no point in arguing, she rarely tantrummed over a 'no' to something, and 1-2-3 really was magic. Then when she got to coming up for 4 i was able to start teaching her (and myself! wink) about compromise - i could start bending the rules a bit and letting her call some of the shots, etc -without undermining my own authority, because she still knew that what i said goes.

She's nearly 9 now, we have a very cooperative & friendly relationship, I rarely have to tell her off or threaten punishments or offer rewards. I am waiting with bated breath for teens though, i suspect she is going to be a very stubborn, stroppy teen!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now