To watch the pageantry this weekend even though I am a Republican

(5 Posts)
kim147 Fri 01-Jun-12 11:58:54

1000 boats going down the Thames. a concert, Pageantry, soldiers on parade, all that stuff - it is the kind of thing that will not happen for a long time and I happen to like watching that kind of stuff.

But I am a Republican and anti the idea of the Monarchy.

Then again, I like the pomp and pageantry.

I avoided the Royal Wedding as best I could but that proved impossible in the end.

So I'll be watching bits of it but that does not mean I support it. Even though I'm sure the viewing figures will be used to say how many people love the Queen.

It's a tough weekend to be a Republican.

kissmyheathenass Fri 01-Jun-12 12:04:49

It is a tough time to be a Republican, I agree. At our dd2's assembly this morning, we all stood up to sing the national anthem. I stood up but remained tight-lipped. I have balanced the onslaught of pro-Monarchy propaganda by showing the Pistols God save the queen on YouTube to dcs this morning!

Enjoy the pageantry, its your taxes that fund it after all. I dare say I will end up watching some of it if the dcs want to.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 01-Jun-12 12:24:28

You sound like a dieter opting to go on a trip to a chocolate factory and beating yourself up in advance about possibly enjoying a few of the sweets. Be as grimly conflicted as you like love. No-one will care.

manicbmc Fri 01-Jun-12 12:28:20

I managed to avoid the royal wedding, pretty much completely, apart from seeing the occasional pic on the internet.

I shall manage to avoid the jubilee as well. If I drink constantly from now until next week, it should all pass in a lovely, wine haze. grin

LentillyFart Fri 01-Jun-12 12:55:46

I absolutely agree with cogito. Do what you like. Nobody cares.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now