Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To be in shock four hour later

(491 Posts)
Rhinosaurus Tue 01-May-12 11:17:00

This morning, my son - the 15 year old

........ who cannot get out of bed.
........who misses two school buses a week because he gets out of bed at 0750 (bus leaves at 0800).
........who sits on the sofa and stuffs food wrappers down the side rather than walk across the room to the bin.
.........who goes to put something in the dishwasher, but when he sees it is full of clean stuff having just finished its cycle, stacks plates and cups up on the worktop waiting for someone else to empty it.
.........who puts clean clothes in the laundry basket rather than fold them up and put them away.

was downstairs in the kitchen today, dressed in school uniform, at 0730, emptying the dishwasher with a cup of tea made for me on the table.....
confusedshockconfusedshockconfusedshockconfusedshock

Is he on drugs?

Is there a major unreasonable request coming up, requiring girding of the loins......

Help!

shock Sparkling hadn't even thought of that, but SLOT the jigsaw fits.

Or he was sleepwalking

ladydepp Tue 01-May-12 11:49:48

pack your bags and run, this can't end well grin

<remembering myself at 15>

Rhinosaurus Tue 01-May-12 11:50:15

Sparkling Brook fuck off I am far too young and youthful to be a grandma!!

He does have a c-card although I should imagine he is too lazy to put on condoms properly......

Rhinosaurus Tue 01-May-12 11:52:06

hmmm it's not going to end well is it.

Hence, in the spirit of true ostrich behaviour I have booked a hair appointment at 3.30pm, after which I am going to visit a friend which could drag on well into the evening, so sadly will only be DP here when he gets back from school.

Sparklingbrook Tue 01-May-12 11:52:20

grin I am the owner of a nearly 13 year old DS who is already like the 'before' version of your DS. I have to wait 2 more years at least for any change?

julieann42 Tue 01-May-12 11:52:45

I too would be worried..but I would enjoy the moment..

My son sounds much the same as yours so i too would be astonished ..you will have to tell us tomorrow if it is a sustained change or a one off......

I remember coming home in a particularly good mood, being sociable, and offering to defrost the freezer, and actually doing it.........the day I lost my virginity. grin

Schlumberger Tue 01-May-12 11:53:07

OP, I absolutely IMPLORE you to update this thread when you work out what's really going on. Your 'old version' son's twin is currently living in this house and I want to know that there is hope.

takeonboard Tue 01-May-12 11:53:59

Oh dear, this won't end well...............do come back and tell us what the Bad News is OP.
We need to be prepared for when our time comes grin

whattodoo Tue 01-May-12 11:55:16

I'm with siege's alien abduction theory.
Only possible explanation.

PoohBearsHole Mexico Tue 01-May-12 11:55:19

He has a girlfriend
He wants to go on holiday to some dodgey spanish town to drink/shag/benaughty get a sun tan
he needs money
he did something really naughty at school

Right am now back to read the thread!

PoohBearsHole Mexico Tue 01-May-12 11:55:49

OR
He wants to go to some dodge spanish town with new girlfriend on his own and needs money grin

PoohBearsHole Mexico Tue 01-May-12 11:58:23

Am so going with the Grandma option now smile soz!

Pinot Tue 01-May-12 11:58:37

I have no idea but can I swap him for my surly 12 y/o with a hankering for tutting and a refusal to wash?

No?

Rhinosaurus Tue 01-May-12 12:01:02

Sparklingbrook, it improved slighly when he moved into year 10, and had taken his option so was no longer getting daily phone calls from school about misbehaviour in certain lessons (always the same ones!).

Mine has been a Kevin since 12. He has done some really bad stuff in school when 13-14, getting exlcuded twice around fighting/alcohol/condom water balloons and banned from the school bus twice for mooning - which was a real pain in the arse as school is 15 miles in the opposite direct to where I work. We have have a few calls and two visits from the police regarding silly stuff outside of school. At one point school had to phone me daily, although since he went back after last summer, he has been a different person at school!

I can't imagine what he could have done that is worse than stuff we have had already!

Perhaps he is burnt out! LOL

finnbarr Tue 01-May-12 12:01:30

He wants something!!! My 15 DSS has done all of the above but NEVER the nice stuff...unless he wants something!
Hmmm...it's exam time...doing that rather than revision??!!!

landofsoapandglory Tue 01-May-12 12:02:22

Has he got wind that his school report is due? Or was he given it last night, had a sneaky peak and has hidden it at the bottom of his bag until he has managed to put you in a wonderful mood with him?

AKMD Tue 01-May-12 12:02:22

No, no, no, don't go out! What you need to do is be sat at the kitchen table with your DP when DS comes in, with very serious expressions. "Sit down, son, we need to talk." Explain how worried you are at what happened this morning, ask him for an explanation - is anything troubling him, has something happened, does he need something?...

If something is up (considered 99% certain) then we you aren't left in suspense. If nothing is wrong and it was a momentary lapse, he will be confirmed in his opinion that you are weirdos and it will make a classic tale for the best man's speech at his wedding. Perfect.

Once you find out what's going on, come back and tell us!

Rhinosaurus Tue 01-May-12 12:03:36

landofsoapandglory - he has never had a good school report, so I doubt that would bother him LOL

Be afraid - be very afraid.

My 12 year old DD is just like the pre version of your son.

I hope there is light at the end of the tunnel, but if she suddenly starts being nice to me I know she wants something BIG - like a pony grin

Lunabelly Tue 01-May-12 12:05:32

Well, he's NOT pregnant, at least, so this is a start. With that out of the way i would also go with the money thing. Or some over-priced exotic school trip is coming up that he wants in on?

Either way, milk it grin

This thread has made me realise I how proud I am of my dd.

She is obviously so well advanced and mature for her age...... she is only 11 and does all of the teenage things mentioned above plus some extra

I am so proud right now I could burst grin

Sparklingbrook Tue 01-May-12 12:09:25

Oooh she must be very advanced Keith. I always say DS is Gifted and talented at ' being stroppy'. grin

Obviously I am referring to the pre version and not the new improved one, but still << big sigh>> at 11

Oh my goodness, yes, how could I not notice, she is clearly G&T. Finally. An actual achievement grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now