To draw the line at breastfeeding my hairbrush

(57 Posts)
TheAvocadoOfWisdom Thu 12-Apr-12 21:16:34

DD is 18m and bf morning and evening. In the last month or so, she's become very insistent on having her favourite cuddly monkey and dinosaur breastfeed too. She finishes feeding on one side, then holds up monkey to let him feed, making pretend sucking noises, and then gives dinosaur a turn. Repeat on other side, and then back to the first several times. It's become a bit of a ritual, although she does miss out dinosaur if she's tired.

Yesterday, I had to breastfeed a toy car. Fine, ok, it's a one off. Today she wants me to breastfeed my hairbrush. I said no (in a cheery, casual way), and she had a full-on tantrum (the sort where toddlers make their body all melty so you can't hold on to them, and then when you try to lie them on the floor they arch their backs so that you can't put them down easily, followed by kicking and wailing).

AIBU? Or should I indulge her?

iwantbrie Sat 21-Apr-12 13:56:15

I've been in a crap pmt induced mood all morning, so glad I read this thread!

Woooster94 Sat 21-Apr-12 13:28:17

Coming late to this thread..

My DS at 20 months likes to haul large and dangerous objects onto my lap to BF, like his pedal car. But he hasn't actually asked me to feed it yet. It makes me laugh too when he wears his Dad's sunglasses to BF - being an international toddler of mystery.

IslaValargeone Thu 19-Apr-12 18:57:30

Although your post made me laugh. On a more serious note, no way would I be giving in to avoid a tantrum, slippery slope and all that.

Gingefringe Thu 19-Apr-12 18:52:18

I've never heard of this phenomenon. It's hilarious!! Bitty gone mad.

amothersplaceisinthewrong Thu 19-Apr-12 18:49:38

NOt only s hould you feed the hairbrush, you should be co-sleeping with it

WhaleOilBeefHookedIWill Unfortunately I have DH to thank for that one. I'm unimpressed by it too. blush

TruthSweet Wed 18-Apr-12 23:48:48

DD1 has tried to bf DD2 when she was hungry as a newborn - DD1 was about 21m at the time. DD2 was singularly unimpressed by tiny toddler nipples.

DD1 & DD2 regularly pump their 'bahs' with a breast pump that a kind MNer sent me after I posted about needing a toy pump for the DDs - sometimes it because they are too ill to bf, sometimes it's because baby is too ill to bf....

DD3 just tweaks her own nipples if I won't let her 'honk' me (she shoves her hand down my top and squeezes me which drives me mad now I'm pg). Funny child grin

I have fed a few dolls and they sometimes use my knitted breast to feed their babies (I am a peer supporter) though DD2 has tried to feed off it before as a toddler....

WhaleOilBeefHookedIWill Wed 18-Apr-12 23:31:47

A child calls it titty milk? Classy

agreetodisagree Wed 18-Apr-12 23:20:16

Excellent - I thought it was just me. I have been handed Sophie the giraffe, dolly, a duplo brick, a spoon, a pen, a Balamory case (did you know Spencer is now a bus driver? And was I the only one who wanted to write Calm Down Archie! on youtube when Miles Jupp did Prodigy for Sports relief?) a book - all with a smile of joy from DD2 and the clucking sounds.

But best of all...she gave a wooden tiger to DHs Moobs (A to the D to the G cup!) and did the sucking sounds to him too. grin

This thread made me laugh so much I woke DD up, she is not impressed grin

Fireandashes Wed 18-Apr-12 22:46:40

BreastmilkDoesAFabLatte, I'm intrigued as to why your DD had a figurine of Boris Yeltsin in the first place! grin

RushyBay Wed 18-Apr-12 22:38:13

Love this thread. I've bfed a Scuttlebug grin

I think BreastmilkDoesAFabLatte might win the prize with the figurine of Boris Yeltzin thanks

I actually got a tear in my eye the first time DS (23mo) bfed one of his toys.

AIBU to be envious of the OP? She's having all the fun with her breastfeeding 18 mo and here I am with a stroppy little 16 mo DS2, who merely removes my hands from the keyboard very firmly when I'm attempting to MN at the same time as feed him. sad

DS1 used to ask me to breastfeed his cuddly toys but only after he'd stopped breastfeeding altogether.

Today DS surpassed himself. He handed me a piece of his artwork (stickers and scribbles), and announced "Titty milk on paper, please mummy!"

Is that like "oil on canvas" then? Tate Modern here we come! grin

naturalbaby Wed 18-Apr-12 21:49:15

I don't know if I'm glad ds seems to have self weaned at 14months or sad that I'm missing out on all this. The worst I got were his feet in my face.

5madthings Wed 18-Apr-12 21:43:43

lol, my ds2 used to get me to bfeed his toy digger! the thing you do for a toddler! grin

shock God no!!! It's her favourite little Jelly Cat one. The only thing she'll consider sharing me with, apparently grin

TheAvocadoOfWisdom Wed 18-Apr-12 21:28:43

stetsons please tell me this isn't a real puppy???? grin

Brilliant! DD is 23mo and has just started to share her feed with Puppy (imaginative naming Chez Stetsons).

Maybe I'll see if I can get her to feed Puppy instead though, save me being pinned to the sofa like the early days grin

ewaczarlie Wed 18-Apr-12 21:05:42

It's been a rough day but thanks to this thread I'm in a much better mood! DS is too serious to do things like this (shame) so loving the laughs I'm getting thanks to others

kiwijesta Wed 18-Apr-12 20:57:17

Brilliant! I know have tears running down my face, and DH even cracked a smile. If DD hadn't self weaned at 13 months I'm sure her sheep would 'need' a bf too! grin

Midori1999 Wed 18-Apr-12 20:53:55

This is so funny and cute and lovely. grin

My DD is only 10 months but just starting to do 'cute' things while nursing, I am really looking forward to when she can talk about it, if I can still be breastfeeding then.

headfairy Wed 18-Apr-12 20:50:09

Hilarious, so glad both of mine self weaned at 15 months before they could start pulling these stunts.

msVelvet you need to read the Peter Andre really loves his kids thread, I nearly suffocated laughing so hard at it last night.

gafhyb Wed 18-Apr-12 20:45:57

Oh God, this is so funny. So typically toddlerish. I snorted at the toy car.

I think you have to draw some boundary lines. She's seeking to control you and succeeding. You have to allow her to get on with the tantrum and ignore it.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 18-Apr-12 20:44:01

What if the hairbrush has tongue tie?

You wont get that done on the NHS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now