Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To draw the line at breastfeeding my hairbrush

(57 Posts)
TheAvocadoOfWisdom Thu 12-Apr-12 21:16:34

DD is 18m and bf morning and evening. In the last month or so, she's become very insistent on having her favourite cuddly monkey and dinosaur breastfeed too. She finishes feeding on one side, then holds up monkey to let him feed, making pretend sucking noises, and then gives dinosaur a turn. Repeat on other side, and then back to the first several times. It's become a bit of a ritual, although she does miss out dinosaur if she's tired.

Yesterday, I had to breastfeed a toy car. Fine, ok, it's a one off. Today she wants me to breastfeed my hairbrush. I said no (in a cheery, casual way), and she had a full-on tantrum (the sort where toddlers make their body all melty so you can't hold on to them, and then when you try to lie them on the floor they arch their backs so that you can't put them down easily, followed by kicking and wailing).

AIBU? Or should I indulge her?

TruthSweet Wed 18-Apr-12 23:48:48

DD1 has tried to bf DD2 when she was hungry as a newborn - DD1 was about 21m at the time. DD2 was singularly unimpressed by tiny toddler nipples.

DD1 & DD2 regularly pump their 'bahs' with a breast pump that a kind MNer sent me after I posted about needing a toy pump for the DDs - sometimes it because they are too ill to bf, sometimes it's because baby is too ill to bf....

DD3 just tweaks her own nipples if I won't let her 'honk' me (she shoves her hand down my top and squeezes me which drives me mad now I'm pg). Funny child grin

I have fed a few dolls and they sometimes use my knitted breast to feed their babies (I am a peer supporter) though DD2 has tried to feed off it before as a toddler....

WhaleOilBeefHookedIWill Unfortunately I have DH to thank for that one. I'm unimpressed by it too. blush

amothersplaceisinthewrong Thu 19-Apr-12 18:49:38

NOt only s hould you feed the hairbrush, you should be co-sleeping with it

Gingefringe Thu 19-Apr-12 18:52:18

I've never heard of this phenomenon. It's hilarious!! Bitty gone mad.

IslaValargeone Thu 19-Apr-12 18:57:30

Although your post made me laugh. On a more serious note, no way would I be giving in to avoid a tantrum, slippery slope and all that.

Woooster94 Sat 21-Apr-12 13:28:17

Coming late to this thread..

My DS at 20 months likes to haul large and dangerous objects onto my lap to BF, like his pedal car. But he hasn't actually asked me to feed it yet. It makes me laugh too when he wears his Dad's sunglasses to BF - being an international toddler of mystery.

iwantbrie Sat 21-Apr-12 13:56:15

I've been in a crap pmt induced mood all morning, so glad I read this thread!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now