Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

To think the working classes have been demonized in this country?

(177 Posts)
AwkwardMary Wed 28-Mar-12 23:15:24

I just read an article about it...lost the page though...so can't link sorry! It really resonated with me...it spoke of how their are no positive working class characters on TV anymore...the comedy shows that portray them make them the lowest of the low and shows like TOWIE are only illustrating how the working classed "done good" are only as tacky and badly informed as they "ever were"...and how Little Britain was written by two middle class men who'd been to private schools...so who the eff were THEY to take the piss out of working class girls like they did?

In the 80s we had good, positive and sympathetic worknig class characters like Yosser and it spoke of how Brookside was born of the Thatcher Years and showed a truer representation of the hard working working classes. Those with respect for themselves and a good work ethic. The 50s, 60s and 70s had lots of good literature such as Kes and Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, Poor Cow, Up the Junction etc

These days people are all about moving forward and away from being working class...nothing wrong with that you may think...why shouldn't people aspire to a better lifestyle? Well of course they should but not if it means that anyone who isn't striving for a bigger house and more "things" is looked down on and called a chav.

Is it all about respectability? Have the real working classes lost their self respect?

(I am working class right through and often feel confused about my past and my present)

AwkwardMary Wed 28-Mar-12 23:40:44

Well raffle it's up for debate...what strikes me already in this thread is a sort of denial of the working classes...they don't exist anymore...hmm

jaquelinehyde Wed 28-Mar-12 23:41:51

In fact the only class catergory that hasn't changed over recent years in my opinion is the upper class.

AwkwardMary Wed 28-Mar-12 23:42:31

jaqueline can we agree that "working class" means someone...or a family...who are educated only to secondary school level and who is either unemployed or in a manual job...

AwkwardMary Wed 28-Mar-12 23:43:22

You know who I mean by the working classes Jaqueline...you just do!

HalfPastWine Wed 28-Mar-12 23:44:30

Then add to that people educated to degree level who can't get a job in their field and therefore do a manual job.

AwkwardMary Wed 28-Mar-12 23:44:56

grip do you think the working classes are portrayed badly on tv?

And is there anyone on this thread who can think of a really positive working class character in a fictional show?

SundaeGirl Wed 28-Mar-12 23:45:23

Well, if it's so obvious that Jacqueline (or any other poster) knows who the working classes are, how can you claim there's a mass denial?

Starwisher Wed 28-Mar-12 23:45:52

I'm not sure about in rl, but the middle classes are very much fair game on the online world of mumsnet!

AwkwardMary Wed 28-Mar-12 23:46:25

Well yes HalfPast...if they are living in a council estate or a low income area and have low life expectations and children who have no resources available to help them get on in life....AND lack the knowledge to search them out.

troisgarcons Wed 28-Mar-12 23:46:48

Do define 'working class' to us? you can bandy about phrases all you like. Everyone will have a different perception of 'working class'.

you are IMHO digging at what has become the 'under class' - a different genre entirely.

Starwisher Wed 28-Mar-12 23:48:21

Del boy was positive. Who didn't love del boy and rodders!

AwkwardMary Wed 28-Mar-12 23:48:53

Sundae ...I just think people are being a bit awkward about it because it's uncomfortable to talk about and because the middle classes are feeling hard done by...

troisgarcons Wed 28-Mar-12 23:49:55

And is there anyone on this thread who can think of a really positive working class character in a fictional show?

I don't watch televison - I read book s- not Kindles - have I gone up a class or down one?

AwkwardMary Wed 28-Mar-12 23:50:40

Star But he's old hat.

trois I mean people who live in deprived areas and who have always done so...people who have no education beyond secondary school and whose parents are the same. People who either work in unskilled jobs or who are unemployed.

HalfPastWine Wed 28-Mar-12 23:50:42

Then how do you define low life expectations? Isn't that a personal choice?

What about a degree level person living in a council estate through choice who has decided that they no longer want to go into their particular degree field but get more satisfaction from doing say a low paid carer job?
What class do they fall into?

jaquelinehyde Wed 28-Mar-12 23:50:50

Erm no because I consider myself working class.

Anywho...Class most definitely still exists in this country and it is without a doubt used to keep people down and yes the explosion of reality television has caused horrible stereo-types to become the norm and make those in a more fortunate position feel better about themselves.

SundaeGirl Wed 28-Mar-12 23:50:53

I think people are being a bit awkward because, actually, there ARE so many stratifications in society today that the term 'Working Class' does need to be defined before it gets discussed.

AwkwardMary Wed 28-Mar-12 23:51:17

Oh Trois now you're just being a pain in the arse as usual

troisgarcons Wed 28-Mar-12 23:52:45

How are the unemployed "working class" that's a bit of an oxymoron really.

AwkwardMary Wed 28-Mar-12 23:52:58

halfpast I meant by "low life expectations* the amount of time which they have to live.

Well Sundae I attempted to define it in my last but one post.

raffle Wed 28-Mar-12 23:54:06

Erm, if you are unemployed you are, by definition, not working...so how can that be called 'working class'?

HalfPastWine Wed 28-Mar-12 23:55:03

Sorry Akward I didn't realise you were referring to low life expectancy.

troisgarcons Wed 28-Mar-12 23:55:23

I like being a pain in the arse grin. Pricking pretentious balloons like you, who give the aura of thinking they are above "working class" and can therefore discuss them like a social experiment that has gone hideously wrong.

Lets hope none of them are reading, eh?

AwkwardMary Wed 28-Mar-12 23:55:30

God...why do I feel like people here are being intentionally difficult??

You lose your job it does not mean you lose your class!

Starwisher Wed 28-Mar-12 23:55:41

Ok I can't think of a tv show that is current
How about music? Is there any positive role models in that industry who you consider wc?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now