NOT to want to pay £29 for a school photo???

(187 Posts)
PiedWagtail Mon 26-Mar-12 10:04:43

My school has got Tempest to do 'modern' class photos - long thin ones with the kids in small groupings with props - they cost £12.50 for a print, or £29 framed. They're awkward to find a place for, too big, too expensive (to get both my ds's class photos would be £58!!) - who can afford that?

Just emailed the school sec with my feedback and she said they have just had positive feedback hmm - so AIBU??

What are your school pics like and how much are they? I just want a record of my dc in each school year, and their friends, and don't want to pay a fortune for it!!

MidnightDinosaur Wed 27-May-15 03:03:09

I bought my ds2's kindy photo as it was really nice. Traditional head and shoulders shot but the teachers said that any photos that don't get bought get shredded.

I found that a bit sad really. Surely they waste more money shredding photos than they would of they just made the photos cheaper so more people were able to afford them.

FeelingSmurfy Tue 26-May-15 23:25:52

I'm glad my parents bought all mine, nice to look back on, but we only had single photos they started class ones the year after I left primary and I managed to be ill on every school pic day in high school!

I don't understand why parents buy them now though, Max spielmans (and others I assume) do cheap school picture packs where you take child in wearing uniform and they take the professional school pic style photo and you get a few different sized prints for about £5. I understand not a proper photographer etc but usually better pics because they had longer to spend getting a good one, you are there to make your child smile and can make sure their hair is brushed etc

Why do school pics always seem to be taken in afternoon when half the lunch is on their tops and face and their hair is sticking up everywhere???

ScrambledEggAndToast Mon 25-May-15 20:01:24

I remember one MNer who said that her child was off school on the day of the class photo so they photoshopped him into the picture gringringrin

Lara2 Mon 25-May-15 12:29:31

My school has done these for the last few years and I hate them. Too big and too expensive. I hanker for the days of the old fashioned class photo that a
local photographer used to do and charge about £1 per copy. He was a lovely man - did all the local schools and had done for generations - he took mine as a child! The women who do them now are so bloody bossy and the whole process is such a faff for schools - the children get fed up waiting. Give me the all standing together, smile, 2 photos (just to make sure), 10 minute process any day.

HereNotThere Mon 25-May-15 11:56:45

I never bought the photos- mostly because I didn't like them. It never bother the kids. I used to help out on school trips so would take photos of the kids with their friends then.

What does everyone do with all their school photos confused

Moln Mon 25-May-15 11:46:59

I've just been asked for 50 blooming euro, UPFRONT!!!

I've on issue being as that price, but even more of an issue that I don't even get to see the flaming thing before hand.

AppleBarrel Mon 25-May-15 11:40:02

Just got the proofs for ours. £7 for 6 (identical) portrait prints of various sizes, plus a load of passports sized ones - we can also buy them one by one for £3 each.

Class photo, plus 3 "novelty" prints of the individual photo again - calendar, this book belongs to.. ect costs another £7.50 for the lot.

Class photo is just a standard group photo of the class sitting/standing in rows with the class teacher. It comes with a cardboard folder to stick in, with space underneath for the passport sized photos and names of all the kids in the class - presumably they are meant to swap photos between themselves.

I'm really happy with the price £14.50 in total, enough photos for grandparents to each have a copy, and a nice, non-gimmicky class photo.

Singleandproud Mon 25-May-15 11:28:09

DDs school use tempest, I buy the acrylic class frame print for about £19 so DD has them.

I did buy her individual one this year but won't in future. Her dance school get a professional in once a year and you pay £20 for a CD with loads of photos in varied poses which are much nicer.

pocketbird I took the measurements of the long Tempest print and trawled the cheap places like B&M and Home Bargains for similar sized framed prints. They quite often have non standard sized box frames with prints already in.
Managed to pick up a frame in B&M with a 'Keep Calm' type print for about 4 quid which I binned and used the white frame for the photo. I had to trim the edges of the Tempest print very slightly but it looks fab and DS has it in his room.

I haven't bought the school photos for a few years now. They've been utter crap and I wouldn't buy them at half the (OTT) price.

When DS moves up to secondary in September to join DD at her school, I'm going to arrange for my own decent photos of the pair in uniform.

I am hoping that the school will do a reasonable, traditional, class photo at the end of Yr 6, so that DS can look back. That one will be something I'll pay for.

Madeyemoodysmum Mon 25-May-15 09:06:18

You can get a frame made on picture lizard. There are other websites. Google frames made to order.

pocketbear Mon 25-May-15 08:29:23

Hi everyone. Can I ask where people have found frames for their photos please? I have 2 tempest photos to frame, 7x16 and 7x28, and the awkward sizes is making it really difficult to find a frame! thank you

Darkesteyes Tue 17-Jun-14 17:04:34

Just dug out an old infant school class photo of mine from 1979. The little envelope under the cellophane at the back looks so pristine it could have been put there yesterday.

The price of the photo.........85p.

eyecandy Tue 17-Jun-14 11:46:18

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

mellicauli Thu 29-May-14 17:42:00

We had some great ones this year. DS (4) Major Sulk Holding Beach Ball and DS (10) Wallace & Grommet Grin.

No way was I parting with hard earned cash for that!

Daisychainsrus1 Thu 29-May-14 17:19:10

I don't mind the pictures they are allright, i prefer the old style though and they are a memory for my DC's to have when they are older and they can reminice,
but i do damnwell mind paying extra for the teachers to have trips to rugby grounds paid for, it must cost a lot of money to pay for rugby games.

I have spent so much money on school pictures over the past years

why should i pay extra so that a teacher that i don't like can watch a silly game with an odd shaped ball?

emms1981 Thu 29-May-14 12:51:54

They did these at my boys school, I bought ones of the boys before Christmas but they did class photos later, I don't really want pictures of other people's kids so I didn't buy them ....

fatlazymummy Thu 29-May-14 10:33:01

I've never heard of these new arty photos.
Anyway, I don't really see the problem. I only buy school photos if I really like them,and then it would probably be the cheapest pack.
The kids don't get upset. When they were very young I would have just made some excuse up but as they get older they don't care.

Waltonswatcher1 Thu 29-May-14 09:07:09

I absolutely loathe school photos - if anything dire happens the press get hold of them and that association has stuck in my head .
They are no way as nice as a relaxed fun family shot - IMHO .

Daisychainsrus1 Thu 29-May-14 09:00:37

i am really really really so annoyed with my DC's school.
my uncle is a governor in another school in Wales and he told us over the weekend that someone had reported it to them that some of the big school photographors had been giving the teachers rugby tickets to get the school photo work from the school. Who pays for the rugby tickets ????? we do!!! when we are paying expensive amounts of money for the photographs, I am so so angry they have enough in wages already, do they really need to have free tickets to do our shopping badly for us?

tpcfotos Sun 05-Jan-14 12:47:53

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

tpcfotos Sun 05-Jan-14 12:18:39

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

dementedma Thu 28-Nov-13 20:42:13

For ds first high school ones yesterday. In one he is sitting at a table with his arms in the foreground so they look about 10 feet long. The other is a close up one but at an angle which I actually like. Cheapest pack is 22.50!

dundy Thu 28-Nov-13 20:37:01

if anyone is interested message me

dundy Thu 28-Nov-13 20:35:08

The school photos are rather boring for me and I also feel pressured to buy them each year at certain time and despite if I like them or not. My kids are getting very upset and feel left out if I don't buy them. On top of everything I am a photographer myself and it causes almost physical pain smile. I have spend ages to convince the kids but now we have agree that I will make some nice photos of them in their favorite activities and outfits to keep in the milestone book and we only buy the class photo. Each year at roughly same time we take some photos to track down and enjoy later in life
I am in South London and the schools in the area are all with attitude smilesmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now