Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

NOT to want to pay £29 for a school photo???

(175 Posts)
PiedWagtail Mon 26-Mar-12 10:04:43

My school has got Tempest to do 'modern' class photos - long thin ones with the kids in small groupings with props - they cost £12.50 for a print, or £29 framed. They're awkward to find a place for, too big, too expensive (to get both my ds's class photos would be £58!!) - who can afford that?

Just emailed the school sec with my feedback and she said they have just had positive feedback hmm - so AIBU??

What are your school pics like and how much are they? I just want a record of my dc in each school year, and their friends, and don't want to pay a fortune for it!!

HairyLemon Mon 26-Mar-12 12:28:19

YABU just buy the print

SoupDragon Mon 26-Mar-12 12:30:21

No one is asking you to pay £29 for a school photo. They are offering you a photo for £12.50 or a frame plus photo for £29.

I really can't see what you are complaining about - just buy the bloody print.

Scholes34 Mon 26-Mar-12 12:31:00

A big hurrah for our school - after two years of those awful long modern photos, they've gone back to the traditional everyone lined up photos, much to everyone's relief!

ElphabaisWicked Mon 26-Mar-12 12:33:31

The problem is what to do with the print. You can't put it in a frame unless you pay to have one specially made. You can;t pop it i nan album, they dont make them big enough. You coule just buy it and leave it in its rolled up tube. even if you buy it with the frame where on earth do you display it, too big for the mantlepiece.

I think what people are saying is give us some choice. Let us have a traditional photo in a standard size at a reasonable price.

shagmundfreud Mon 26-Mar-12 12:38:46

We had one of these tempest photos.

The grouped ds(8) and his friend - the smallest boys in the class, either side of the biggest girl in the class, who's hugely tall AND fat.

Poor ds and friend looked like toddlers. Poor girl looked freakishly large.

Not good at all.

Didn't buy the picture. Don't know what possesses a photographer to do something like that in a school photo.

Kennyp Mon 26-Mar-12 12:47:19

I really hate those prop photos, leaning all over the teachers and gym equipment. Theres no date or class name or names of kids. I never buy them.

My son was "posed" one year .... Hands in pockets, standing sideways. He looked nothing like him at all.

Bring back the normal photos i say, although sm in a minority tooo. I sympathise.

OhDoAdmitMrsDeVere Mon 26-Mar-12 12:53:42

One year DC3's nursery did photos. Nothing unusual there but when I saw them shock

They were those 'victorian waif' ones. Hidious and weird. Weird because my DC has dreadlocks and he looked bizarre in a cloth cap and knickerbokers.

I declined to purchase any.

I never buy photos now. I keep the proof. I only want a record of what they looked like at that time. I dont like school photos, they are generally pretty naff.

I was reeling on Friday when the dcs came out of school with their class photos and they were £10.50 each.

I will stop complaining now as they are traditional rows of pupils with their class teachers and I can see everyone's face clearly and obviously much cheaper than the alternatives grin

VivianDarkbloom Mon 26-Mar-12 12:56:34

In this digital age, I feel like they could do a photoshoot for each kid/group and put them all in a protected online gallery, then you can order as few or many as you like/want to pay for. Would be a much better use of the cost of hiring a pro and all the equipment. I'm sure as kids we only ever had terrible school pics because the outlay of printing was such that you only got one chance. With the group shots such as running and jumping they should just take a whole bunch and each kid will surely have some great ones and some scrunched ones. Seems silly for the photographer to pick the one he thinks works instead of taking ten in the assumption that there'll be a passable one of everyone that way.

Jenny70 Mon 26-Mar-12 14:01:17

I didn't buy ours, my daughters expression was very false and scrunchy...

So I dressed her for school nicely, sat her about a foot away from a plain coloured wall with good natural light. Took digital photo, telling her a joke to make a more natural smile, got printed on high street for 69p... friends dropped over and they thought I'd had her school photo back super quick.

Result.

HairyLemon Mon 26-Mar-12 14:02:04

Buy the print, take a pic of it with a digital camera and then print it out at whatever size you have a frame for. I've done this with loads of non standard size prints I've bought

EngeldinckHumperbert Mon 26-Mar-12 14:04:08

I agree, they are a rip off. The mark up is way too high. Both DH and I are good photographers so we take our own.

ladybirdbliss Mon 26-Mar-12 14:32:45

yanbu! we just got the full group poto when we were in school.
its fab looking back on them now.

i dont see the point in single pictures of ur kid to be honest its just a money making racket... i mean everybody now has a camera so why not just take a photo of ur child at home all dressed up in their uniform why does the school need to do them.

schilke Bosnia-Herzegovina Mon 26-Mar-12 14:41:56

I hate them too so yanbu. I bought ds2's class photo last summer as he was in year 6. I hate it. They are all in their socks - WHY?? The girls have mainly white socks, but the boys seem to have every colour under the sun and that bugs me! Some children are standing, some sideways some face on. Yuk. I just bought the print as framed was going to cost a fortune. So now, it sits, rolled up in the tube it came home in.

Plus it's longer than my school photo of the whole school - 820 children plus staff!

PiedWagtail Mon 26-Mar-12 15:56:24

soupDragon that was a completely unhelpful reply. Thanks. hmm There's no point buyng the print without a frame, is there?? You can't stand it up like you can the traditional cardboard school photos as IT IS TOO LONG. And it is not s atdnard size so it would be v hard to find a frame for it. There's no point replying if you can't say anything helpful.

Jenny - I can do photos of my own dc, I was talking about class photos.

PiedWagtail Mon 26-Mar-12 15:56:48

Oops - a standard size blush

BeerTricksPott3r Mon 26-Mar-12 16:02:12

I think the style is horrible and the photos overpriced.

May buy one when DS is in Yr6 as a memento of his class for when he is older, but certainly not before.

Tempest do the individual ones at his school too - the last one was so hideous I refused to buy it (DS agreed it wasn't a decent photo of him). Don't even get me started on the one Tempest did for my work photo (free, compulsory, straight in the bin).

HairyLemon Mon 26-Mar-12 16:22:51

Honestly OP buy a print just so you have record of it and then take a pic of the pic , print it off and stick it in a frame. it is a fair bit smaller obviously but at least you have something you can frame. Or if it is of DC with a group could you just take a pic of it and crop out the others?

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Mon 26-Mar-12 16:30:52

Our school offers photo books, I thought it was Tempest, but I could be wrong. I liked those because they have the whole school in them, so when ds1 was still at primary I could just buy one and have both of them and their class included. I'm not a school photos on the wall type person, so I just wanted a record.

I do wish they would make more of an effort to make the children smile naturally in the individual photos, my dc always look slightly odd!

SoupDragon Mon 26-Mar-12 16:31:03

Thanks for singling me out, PiedWagtail. After all, I was the only one who said you should just buy the print. hmm

I must have missed the bit where you said "please only post if you agree with me"

"There's no point buyng the print without a frame, is there??"

Yes, of course there is. I have all of 2xDSs and DDs class photos and they are in an album because, whilst I want the record of their class, I really don't want all their friends on my mantelpiece.

If I don't like school photos I just don't buy them [shrug]

DC's school started doing class photos outside and "casually" posed - but it's still a group photo, not a collage of lots of them, and it's a conventional shape so you are not forced to buy the "special" frames. Most of them are nice, but I wouldn't pay that sort of money. DS now has formal, uber-conventional, team photos and I do get those as I think they are a sort of record of achievement and who knows how much longer he will manage to make it into teams for

Do they not do any sort of mini-print option, OP - that you could stick in an album or something? We did, I have to admit, buy some of the pseudo-venture ones which DD had taken at nursery, because they were stunningly nice pictures of her (and not in uniform).

OhDoAdmitMrsDeVere Mon 26-Mar-12 16:48:46

My favourite school/nursery photo is one of DC3 (again). Every single child is looking in a different direction. Its hilarious.

LeeCoakley Mon 26-Mar-12 16:51:28

You don't need a frame because you are not going to display it are you? It's just a record really. My dds are in their late teens and we had a real laugh at Chiristmas going through their old class photos so I'm glad I bought them all.

I hate the packs that contain 20 shots of the same photo in all different sizes. Relatives must dread it. grin But if you only want one photo the price isn't that much cheaper.

Bathsheba Belgium Mon 26-Mar-12 16:53:39

Our school only does those class photos for Primary 7 as a "last picture" type of thing...I think they look great...!

carernotasaint Mon 26-Mar-12 17:00:29

OP i do NOT for one minute believe what the school secretary told you about only having positive feedback. In this economic climate? BULLSHIT!
i bet shes telling that crap to everyone that complains.
im not a parent but i am really shocked at these prices. My last experiences of school photos was when i was in them back in the "80s.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now