To want a black wedding ring?

(71 Posts)
ComposHat Sat 17-Mar-12 22:43:03

I discussed this with the fairly soon to be MrsComposhat. I would quite like a wedding ring, but don't particularly like gold or platinum rings as I think they look a bit shiny and flashy and don't really suit me. I did however see some black wedding rings that I thought looked less blingy.

I put this to the soon to be MrsC and she howled with laughter, claiming I'd look like the world's oldest emo and in a few years time it would look absurd. Does she have a point?

I thought a plain black band like this one

www.geti.cc/index.php?option=com_hikashop&ctrl=product&task=show&cid=10382&name=4004b&Itemid=135&category_pathway=17&related_product=10445

I would just have the word Taken tattooed across your forehead.

In black ink if you prefer wink

ComposHat Sat 17-Mar-12 23:57:42

Alas, most of the space on my forehead is taken up with my 'KILLER' tattoo.

I have rose gold bands and it is a lovely colour when it's worn in (almost like a metallic skin colour), looks a bit too shiny copper when it's brand new tho, so don't be put off.

DH lost his band a year ago, I might check out Tungsten rings EvenBetter I sure as hell can't afford to replace his white gold one anymore!

NowWeKnow Sun 18-Mar-12 00:04:30

My dh has a gold wedding ring but he wears one similar to this which is black with gold on his other hand more as a signet ring which I gave him for his 40th. It would also be nice as a wedding ring though. It's really hard wearing and has never scratched.

NowWeKnow Sun 18-Mar-12 00:08:55

Also I'd say it's more very dark grey than black which might be an alternative to consider.

ComposHat Sun 18-Mar-12 00:12:50

Dark grey, what metals would have that finish? I confess I am an amateur when it comes to this sort of thing!

NowWeKnow Sun 18-Mar-12 00:14:49

The one I linked to is tungsten carbide.

EvenBetter Sun 18-Mar-12 00:53:21

It's gorge, I freely admit I'm judgemental and sneery about other peoples wedding rings and everything else but £35 for an undamagable ring is good!

Try on anything in a jewellers to get your size and see what width you want, then buy online!

youbethemummylion Sun 18-Mar-12 07:00:35

My and my husbands wedding rings are rose gold with a thivk band of whitby jet in the middle, we like them and have never had issues with people thinking we are asexual. Designed them ourselves and a man in a tiny old fasjioned jewellers in whitby made them, quite cheap too.

I've seen quite a few of these recently - they are not black but a lovely matt grey. They are honestly really nice in real life.

go for it smile Your new wifey's ring doesn't have to match either, dh has a gold ring and I have a platinum ring.

NoGoodAtHousework Sun 18-Mar-12 07:08:48

When DP and I eventually get married he wants a carbon fibre ring and I may get a titanium and carbon fibre. You can find any weird and wonderful ones on eBay!

SaraBellumHertz Sun 18-Mar-12 07:13:02

Definitely worlds oldest emo grin

DH has a very thick heavy platinum band a bit like this in shape but heavier.

It has become a bit battered over the years and so not blingy at all. My dad remarked that it looks like a car part!

sashh Sun 18-Mar-12 07:13:32

go for it, it's your choice. If your bride to be really hates the idea look at steel rings - not black but not shiny either

KingofHighVis Sun 18-Mar-12 07:19:26

how about on e of these

Although for some reason can't help imagining someone who buys one of these as being the sort of person who insists on doing snarly rock-star poses in all the wedding photos.

And the 'rebel' on seems soooo 1990s.

tribpot Sun 18-Mar-12 07:23:11

Love the comment about the world's oldest emo smile But I love some of the suggested rings on this thread, I would definitely have done something similar as I don't like shiny jewellery and don't wear yellow gold at all.

Hope you can find one you both like!

Kveta Sun 18-Mar-12 07:27:14

dh has a palladium (?) wedding ring, and it has a brushed surface so didn't look too shiny (which was his objection to all the gold ones).

mine is white gold, plain as can be.

18 months on, they both look quite scuffed tbh, but well worn anyway, and not nearly as shiny as they were!

iloveminieggs Sun 18-Mar-12 07:39:20

My DH also has palladium. Cheaper than platinum but from same family of metals. you get lots of choice such as brushed, matt or really shiny. Just bear in mind that some metals can be very heavy such as platinum so worth bearing in mind if you go for a wide band or if you have large fingers.

Rowgtfc72 Sun 18-Mar-12 07:45:09

Soon to be dh (May 21st !) has a tungsten carbide and carbon fibre ring. Mine is titanium , silver and some black stuff ! We wanted something different and got them from unique jewellry. As op above said , you cant get them resized as Im finding out having lost just enough weight for it to fly off when it gets wet.

MrsHoarder Sun 18-Mar-12 07:56:37

I'd presume you were in mourning unless you looked particually gothy. May have just spent too long reading Victorian literature though!

Fraktal Sun 18-Mar-12 08:15:50

I have nothing useful to add but blush at the black ring. I'm currently wearing my (black diamond) eternity ring on my middle finger waiting for it to be resized!

MinnieBar Sun 18-Mar-12 08:17:15

I think as long as you go for a dark-silver kind of shade rather than black-black - and matt/brushed rather than shiny - oh, and quite wide too - then it'll look masculine and appropriate rather than sulky teen rebel.

Oh and congratulations! Is Soon-To-Be-MrsComposHat a MNer?

ComposHat Sun 18-Mar-12 18:34:30

Thanks for the advice and best wishes everyone!

The current Mr Electricalbanana has a black wedding ring. Its made of paladium (i think that is how it is spelt) and its lovely. Mr E is a motorbike riding, black wearing rock god (in his dreams) and any personal embellishments makes him uneasy. So he wanted something which was "industrial" or something which looked like it had been part of his beloved bike.

we got it from birmingham.

MrsMeaner Sun 18-Mar-12 20:17:59

What is the significance of a black ring?

The point of a gold or platinum ring is that they last forever and are very precious.

My wedding band is plain (as it should be) and not blingy at all. If you want even less bling than none, go for a very narrow band.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now