Where is the fucking justice for Trayvon Martin? a 17 year old INNOCENT CHILD shot to death simply because he was walking in his father's gated community.

(940 Posts)
chewchewmeaw Sat 17-Mar-12 19:10:18

Why in gods hell has that MURDERER not been arrested?

Are they looking for riots? they will happen if Zimmerman is not brought to justice. I am so sickened by this.

I wouldn't be surprised if you haven't heard this story yet - very slow in reporting it.

He was begging for his life': Family's anger as police finally play 911 calls made by neighborhood watch captain who shot black teen

Trayvon Martin,17, was shot dead by George Zimmerman, 28, last month, who claims the killing was self defense and has not been charged
Police finally gave into mounting pressure on Friday and released eight 911 calls
The teen's family say the calls show Zimmerman was the 'aggressor' not Trayvon

The police have finally released the 911 calls made in relation to the killing of an unarmed black teenager who was shot by a white neighborhood watch captain.
George Zimmerman, 28, had called 911 to report a suspicious man and can be heard pursuing Trayvon Martin, 17, on foot against the dispatcher's advice causing the teen to run away.
Moments later the police are bombarded with calls from terrified neighbors as a voice in the background can be heard desperately screaming for help before the sound of two gun shots.
When police arrived at Florida's Retreat at Twin Lakes Townhomes they found Trayvon, who had been returning from a store with candy for his younger brother, had been shot dead by Zimmerman.
Scroll down for video

Trayvon Martin, 17, left, was killed by George Zimmerman, 28, right, after the neighborhood watch captain pursued him as walked in a gated community
Zimmerman had called 911 after spotting the teen walking through the gated community.
'This guy looks like he is up to no good. He is on drugs or something,' Zimmerman told the dispatcher from his SUV.
He added that the black teen had his hand in his waistband and was walking around looking at homes.

More...
Teenager's death gives life to others: Organs donated by girl, 16, who died in crash provide new hope for the desperately ill
'These a-------. They always get away,' Zimmerman said on a 911 call.
During Zimmerman's initial call, he told the dispatcher he was following Martin and the dispatcher told him, 'You don't need to do that.'
But Zimmerman sounds as if he continues to pursue the teen saying: 'He ran.'
Scroll down for video

In Zimmerman's 911 call he said Martin, pictured, looked like he 'up to no good' and on drugs as the teen returned home with skittles for his brother
He then refuses to meet police officers at an agreed location and asks for them to call him on arrival instead so he can tell them where he is.
Sanford police officials, who have not charged Zimmerman after accepting his claim that his actions were in self defense, finally released eight 911 calls on Friday after mounting pressure.
Martin's family had demanded the release of the calls to help better understand how Martin died while walking home from a convenience store last month.
'He was yelling for help, and no one could help him. He saw his life being taken away from him,' the teen's father Tracy Martin said.
He said they will continue pushing for charges to be filed against Zimmerman.
'We’re hoping this doesn’t happen again to another family, and that America opens their eyes ... even though this won’t bring Trayvon back,
we don’t want there to be another Trayvon,' Mr Martin said.
Scroll down for video

The teenager's parents; mother Sabrina Fulton, right, and father Tracy Martin, left, are said to be devastated after hearing the 911 calls of their son's last moments

Benjamin Crump, the attorney for Martin's family, said that the 911 calls show that the teenager spent the last few moments of his life terrified and Zimmerman should be charged
After listening to recordings of 911 calls, Martin's family said they're more convinced than ever that the Zimmerman should be charged with a crime.
'You hear a shot, a clear shot, then you hear a 17-year-old boy begging for his life,' said Natalie Jackson, the family attorney. 'Then you hear a second shot.'
The case has been turned over to the State Attorney's Office which can decide whether to file charges or present evidence to a grand jury.
Attorney Benjamin Crump, who is also representing the family, told reporters outside Sanford City Hall that Martin's parents both broke down and cried as they listened to the recordings.
'They are completely devastated, and they are in unbelievable grief,' Crump said. 'The last seconds of his life were in absolute fear.'
Scroll down for video

Martin was visiting his father and stepmother in Sanford where they live at The Retreat at Twin Lakes, pictured, when he popped out to buy snacks for his younger brother
He added that a third witness has come forward saying it was the boy who was crying for help.
Martin's parents, Tracy Martin and Sybrina Fulton, previously sued to have the recordings released. A hearing for the case had been scheduled for Monday.
Moments after Zimmerman's initial call, dispatchers were bombarded by seven 911 calls from frantic neighbors describing a fight between two men, screaming and then a gunshot.
'There is somebody screaming outside,' one female caller said, as an unknown male voice can be heard crying in the background. Then a shot is heard.
A male caller described a physical altercation between Martin and the shooter.
'I just heard a shot right behind my house,' The caller said. 'They're wrestling right behind my porch. The guy is yelling 'Help.' I'm not going outside.'

By the time police officers arrived, unarmed Trayvon, who had been carrying Skittles and soda, was dead on the ground from a single gunshot
Another woman said a man in a 'white top' was on top Trayvon.
Earlier on Friday, Martin's parents called on the FBI to take over the investigation, saying they no longer trusted the Sanford police department.
Sanford police Sgt. David Morgenstern said the department stands by its investigation but welcomes help from any outside agency. FBI agent David Couvertier said the agency has been in contact with Sanford police and is monitoring the case.
'We are committed to having somebody review this to see if we made a mistake,' said Sanford Mayor Jeff Triplett. 'If we made missteps and there is something there, we will act accordingly'

Trayvon's family believe Zimmerman should be charged and brought to justice for shooting their young son
Several Sanford residents who spoke to The Associated Press said they think there would have been an arrest already if the shooter had been black and the deceased had been white.
They said blacks and whites in this city of 53,000 residents were pretty much in agreement that an injustice had been done with no one arrested, and that there was no racial divide in how the case is being perceived. The city is 57 percent white and 30 percent black.
Zimmerman's father delivered a letter to the Orlando Sentinel on Thursday, saying the way his son is being depicted in the media is cruel and misleading.
He also says his son has received death threats and moved out of his home. George Zimmerman is Hispanic and grew up in a multiracial family, the statement says.

AICM Sun 14-Jul-13 08:59:05

Flojo
If the police want to find somebody then surely what they like like is relevant? You have instantly created a racist issue out of nothing. People like you are the problem in cases like this. A fair trial is impossible as long as people look for racism and find it whether it is there or not.

Ashoething Sun 14-Jul-13 09:00:44

Please get your facts right before your post bollocks. Zimmerman is not white-he is Hispanic.

BabyMakesMyEyesGoSleepy Sun 14-Jul-13 09:12:24

Its quite normal for an emergency operator to ask you to describe a prevalent feature of someone, i.e. skin colour,hair colour etc.

Zimmerman's parents,neighbours and relatives all said it was Zimmerman screaming for help (as did Martins parents) and forensics showed that Martin was on top of Zimmerman.

I don't understand why they keep referring to him as white,when he is mixed race,favouring his Hispanic mother in appearance.

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 14-Jul-13 09:24:47

Hispanic isn't a race. It's a cultural identity that people whose ancestors came from mainland Spain identify with.

People from Spain are still white, as in Caucasian are they not?

Back to the main point,I cannot believe the jury are still deliberating. Surely this must be one of the most cut and dried cases a jury could hope for? Zimmerman is guilty.

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 14-Jul-13 09:27:17

Just seen he was acquitted. Absolutely appalling.

TidyDancer Sun 14-Jul-13 09:36:10

In your opinion, you mean Alivolatpropiis?

Many people believe Zimmerman was acting in self defence. The evidence presented actually backs him. Quite understandable that he was found not guilty.

Daisytunes - many assumptions in your post. No one knows that Zimmerman was interested in Trayvon because he was black. It is the media/community that have tried to divide this case down racial lines. It fits the story they want to tell.

One look into Zimmerman's background shows there was no precedent for bigotry.

DoraExplorer1993 Sun 14-Jul-13 09:37:25

Surely this must be one of the most cut and dried cases a jury could hope for? Zimmerman is guilty.

Only if they base their opinion on the ridiculous media coverage and ignore all the facts of the case.

BabyMakesMyEyesGoSleepy Sun 14-Jul-13 09:41:42

It may not be a race per se but it is used to differentiate an ethnic group akin to travellers being white but an ethnic minority.

DoraExplorer1993 Sun 14-Jul-13 09:41:46

I don't understand why they keep referring to him as white

Because it helps back up the witchunt the media started to paint him as a nasty racist, and clearly being white makes you more racist that if you're actually half Peruvian. Same reason the media use a 13 year old picture of Martin and not a recent one showing his "gangsta" gold teeth, and why they used a picture of Zimmerman in a boiler suit looking depressed rather than any of the more "respectable" ones also available.

ipswichwitch Sun 14-Jul-13 09:47:33

Regardless of who was the aggressor during the confrontation, the fact remains that Zimmerman ignored police advice and pursued Martin and was armed. If he had followed their advice, this confrontation would not have happened and a young man would still be here.

This is why I despise Americas gun laws. This kind of thing happens daily. There was a story a while back about a man shooting his son who had come home late from a fancy dress party. Because he was fumbling with his keys at the door (being a bit drunk), the father thought he was someone trying to break in and shot him. It's bloody heartbreaking.

ifyourehoppyandyouknowit Sun 14-Jul-13 09:47:53

He would not have needed to act in self defence if he hadn't racially profiled and followed a kid who was armed only with a packet of skittles. I imagine Martin did confront hin, as you would if some random guy was following you around. He had no need to follow him, the police told him not to. He is a stupid dick and I hope he spends the rest of his life feeling guilty. Is it really self defence if you start it? He could have just as easily waited for the police. This is his fault, regardless if whether he is classed as guilty of murder.

Its just sad all round.

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 14-Jul-13 09:49:37

A witch hunt against white people? Really? hmm

They wouldn't have shown a photo of Trayvon wearing a "grill" because white people make racist assumptions about black men who wear them.

Really hard to see that justice has been done here given a 17 year old boy is dead. Guns carrying being legal is this day and age is outrageous.

TidyDancer Sun 14-Jul-13 09:51:17

Did he racially profile, Hopalongon? I don't think he did.

The 911 operator asked for his race, but the only person who referred to race without prompting and as a negative was Trayvon.

You are however absolutely correct in saying it is a sad case all round. No winners.

DoraExplorer1993 Sun 14-Jul-13 09:54:38

A witch hunt against white people? Really?

Well to anybody with a primary school level reading age would know I said nothing of the sort, but given your rather loose relationship with facts laid out in front of you I'm not really surprised.

ifyourehoppyandyouknowit Sun 14-Jul-13 09:57:03

Do you honestly think he would have acted the same if the boy had been white?

GrendelsMum Sun 14-Jul-13 09:58:15

It's a side point, but yes, in the US, 'Hispanic' would be seen as a race in a way that it isn't in the UK, with the attendant possibility of racial prejudice.

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 14-Jul-13 09:59:56

No,it's what you inferred.

They found him not guilty of commiting an act or acts that deliberately caused death. Florida laws definition of murder.

Fairly sure when you shoot someone death is the intention unless you're a trained marksman.

chocolatespiders Sun 14-Jul-13 10:01:01

If Trayvon was straddling him I don't understand how Zimmerman managed to get to his gun which was in the back of his trousers. And how did Trayvon's body end up so flat on the floor if he was shot whilst on top of him would he not have been slumped over. Why did the screams stop the instant the gun was shot. Why did Zimmerman not phone an ambulance when he told police he didnt know he was dead.

Absolutely heartbreaking and poor family having to see the photos of the body on the ground and in the Morgue.

TidyDancer Sun 14-Jul-13 10:10:41

Absolutely Hop. Imo, this was a teenager in a hoodie he saw, not a black boy.

If you want to see a prejudice, that's the one that's there.

Sallyingforth Sun 14-Jul-13 10:17:36

Well it won't change anyone's prejudice opinion I know but having made myself read the accounts it seems there were two people ready and willing to have a dispute, and once it got heated the winner was always going to be the one who was best armed. If the boy had been carrying the gun the situation would have been entirely reversed.

vivizone Sun 14-Jul-13 10:20:02

Fucking typical. Argh

RIP Trayvon.

I hope he fucking rots. H is as GUILTY as fuck.

emuloc Sun 14-Jul-13 10:23:29

Sallyingforth you have nothing to back your words up. Perhaps Trayon would not of been so trigger happy. If he had been allowed to go hone as he was trying to there would be no need for this thread.

chibi Sun 14-Jul-13 10:24:55

so.

you can arm yourself, stalk someone through the streets, start a confrontation with them after police have told you to quit it and leave them alone, and then shoot them when they try to defend themselves, and kill them.

what was it that made him feel entitled to confront and engineer a confluct with someone smaller, unarmed, alone?

people who are so sure that zimmerman did the right thing, or had no choice clearly have never, nor will ever have to worry about their children facing similar violence from vigilantes

the whole thing is sickening. no justice for a dead child.

lljkk Sun 14-Jul-13 10:26:37

Everything Ipswitchsaid. RIP Trayvon. sad

Sallyingforth Sun 14-Jul-13 10:28:20

Emuloc I have read each of the reports, and there has been bias on both sides. Like I said, I don't expect to change anyone's mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now