THEY HAVE DISCONTINUED MEDISED

(353 Posts)
BupcakesandCunting Mon 12-Mar-12 22:12:11

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! <breathe>

DS hasn't slept since friday night. Neither have I. Stuffed nose keeping him awake. As a last resort, I went to three Boots on a quest for Medised then at the forth Boots they blithely told me that there was No More Medised. Well thanks medicine people. You bastards. <shakes fist>

AIBU to want to go and do a dirty protest at Medised HQ?

BelleDameSansMerci Mon 12-Mar-12 22:14:08

Bloody hell you could try Piriton, I think it unblocks noses... I use Medised myself!

LucyLastik Mon 12-Mar-12 22:14:13

Really? DH bought some tonight although not in Boots

Valpollicella Mon 12-Mar-12 22:14:15

Hang on Bups. Lemme ring someone I know who works in a chemist. They'll know

TheSkiingGardener Mon 12-Mar-12 22:14:34

I can't find anything online about them withdrawing it

<narrows eyes>

Are you sure they just didn't want the shouty woman to go away?

curiositykitten Mon 12-Mar-12 22:14:36

Srsly?

BelleDameSansMerci Mon 12-Mar-12 22:14:39

Note - have no medical basis for that suggestion.

Meglet Mon 12-Mar-12 22:15:02

Surely there's still an alternative product? <<clutches straws>>

We have the actifed one IIRC.

WhiteTrash Mon 12-Mar-12 22:15:28

I really, really feel your pain.

Although I was using it on my 9 month old baby (nasty cold) and heard it was now for 6 year olds?! Then heard it was discontinued.

I was using a bottle I had from DS1 which was from 3 or 6 months one of the two.

We figured though if its bad enough to go from 6 months to 6 years then maybe we shouldnt be using it. Then heard it was discontinued anyway.

TattyDevine Mon 12-Mar-12 22:15:31

I don't think so.

To be honest, if its a stuffy nose that's keeping him awake, (don't know how old he is by the way) and you want to give something that's not technically supposed to be given to little ones, you'd be better off shoving some Sudafed nasal spray up his nose. Totally clears it for 8 hours. And its only topical and not linked to heart arythmias or whatever it was that caused Medised to be banned!

But I will no doubt get flamed for that.

TheFeministsWife Mon 12-Mar-12 22:15:47

shock really?

Valpollicella Mon 12-Mar-12 22:16:41

OK, confirmed - it has been discontinued.

They will continue to sell any stock but no more to be produced for the moment

PictureThis Mon 12-Mar-12 22:17:35

Use CalCold, it is exactly the same.

BupcakesandCunting Mon 12-Mar-12 22:17:50

Well, I can't find anything online about it either but it's a bit weird that 4 chemists didn't have any in stock. confused (Thanks Val)

I asked what I could do and they offered me Benylin Night which has the same antihistamine in as Medised but I am wary of giving it to DS as it says 6 years + and he is only 5. I know Medised says 6+ but my GP has prescribed it to me for him before for a very bad cold so am not so concerned about that one if my GP would give it to me IYSWIM?

CuntyQuiche Mon 12-Mar-12 22:18:10

Do they still make Calpol Night? That was the same IIRC

Tranquilidade Mon 12-Mar-12 22:18:24

You need to know if it is discontinued by the manufacturer or if they just mean Boots have stopped stocking it. Try a local pharmacy, they should be able to tell you.

WhiteTrash Mon 12-Mar-12 22:18:46

I did find the saline solution helped unblock his nose.

BupcakesandCunting Mon 12-Mar-12 22:18:56

I am assuming CalCold has been discontinued as they had none of that either!

Thanks for checking that Val

beautyguru Mon 12-Mar-12 22:19:18

Calcold has the same ingredients as medised so will that now be discontinued also?

BupcakesandCunting Mon 12-Mar-12 22:19:24

The last pharmacy i tried was Sainsbury's so I think it will be everywhere.

beautyguru Mon 12-Mar-12 22:19:45

OOps, cross post!

ledkr Mon 12-Mar-12 22:20:18

Blimey! <smiles smugly at brand new bottle on the shelf. Can you buy calcold stil?

BupcakesandCunting Mon 12-Mar-12 22:20:43

grin at the thought of advancing towards DS with a nasal spray. He would hit the roof!

BupcakesandCunting Mon 12-Mar-12 22:21:18

ledkr I will give you a hundred pounds for your bottle.

<foresees a black market in Medised starting up>

TattyDevine Mon 12-Mar-12 22:21:35

I believe the dose of diphenhydramine (the active ingredient apart from paracetamol) was 17.5mg so you could get some diphenhydramine and make your own blend.

I will no doubt once again get flamed for saying that (though I haven't got flamed for my first post yet)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now