ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

To refuse to use my parents' made-up name for their house...

(170 Posts)
MerryMarigold Tue 13-Dec-11 17:43:06

OK, so they used to live in a house which didn't have a number and had a name. My kids would get excited about going to blah blah cottage., Now they have moved somewhere where the house does have a number. But they miss having a name for their house, so they've given it a name. I just feel naff using the name. I mean, the house already has a number! And it's not like a massive road, there are only 6 houses in it, and it's a 'court' so it sounds quite nice anyway.

AIBU and should I just swallow my pride and call the house by it's new 'name'? Or should I just say we're going to visit blah blah court and address post to no.6 blah blah court?

<<<snort>>>

sorry, nothing constructive to add really.

My great aunt used to address post to my grandmother to 'Lake View Cottage'.

My grandmother's house was a tiny old 4 room cottage in the west of ireland which had a fairly distant glimpse of a lake out the front.... used to cause hysterics when letters arrived with 'Lake View Cottage' written on them grin

The house my parents bought a few years ago has a tiny snatch of a view of the same lake if you go up to the guest bedroom and stand on a chair.... I tried to convince them to call it Lake View in honour of my grandmother's house but they declined grin

Oh, and a house down the road is called Valhalla hmm

CarolCervix Tue 13-Dec-11 18:17:56

my house is called sea view.

CarolCervix Tue 13-Dec-11 18:18:08

i lve in wiltshire grin

CuppaTeaJanice Tue 13-Dec-11 18:18:30

Better than 'Rose Cottage' which a lot of hospitals use as code when referring to their mortuary. But SuePurb's right, it does sound quite Amish - has your dad started to grow a beard and had a bowl haircut, and is your mum now wearing plain home-made dresses? grin

Jajas Tue 13-Dec-11 18:18:35

My house has a name and a number (it's about 300 years old) I'm worried now as I use both, am I being super naff?

Yes we do need to know if it has any barn like qualities grin!

Jajas Tue 13-Dec-11 18:19:26

Carol grin!!

NoOnesGoingToEatYourMincePies Tue 13-Dec-11 18:21:09

I like it.

Can you not just say "we're going to my parents" or "we are going to grandma's" or something though?

SuePurblybiltbyElves Tue 13-Dec-11 18:23:17

YY. We're goin' to Granmas in the buggy. Dress plain now and starch your best bonnet.

NoOnesGoingToEatYourMincePies Tue 13-Dec-11 18:24:49

CandyTuft - that's genius! How did they think of it.

I would do that with our names, but that would mean our house would be called "Joan" and that would be weird.

I know of a Rivendell, a Westward Ho! and one on the school run that has a big sign with "Paul and Eileen at No. 31" on it

You think that's twee ... DH has friends who name every single rented place they live in, even if it's a rented room in a shared house, and they all refer to each others' rented rooms/flats by name.

The names are usually a sort of blend of extreme pretension and sci-fi/fantasty interests ... the 'best' one was when they insisted on all post being addressed to 'Asgard'. hmm

At least your can lie to people that your parents' house name dates back to before it had a number.

Bless 'em!. it could be worse, it could be "x Castle" or "X Palace" .

I used live near an old couple whose 30's semi detached was called "GlenDonna". Guess what their grandchildren were called grin

MrsCampbellBlack Tue 13-Dec-11 18:28:35

Sniggering at 'are they amish'

thebigkahuna Tue 13-Dec-11 18:29:41

grin at Providence Barn.

YANBU, just use the number.

I used to work with a couple who were not (yet) married, but both their surnames were Taylor. They named their house "Taylor Made".

<waves at unwitting couple if they're reading this - you are both very lovely but that is a stoopid name for a house grin>

Jajas Tue 13-Dec-11 18:31:24

Could be a courtyard of x many converted barns though I suppose <grasps at ye olde straws>

3inABIRDsnest Tue 13-Dec-11 18:32:31

There's a house I see in the village where my dad lives called 'Ar Ouse'. Don't know if they have paid to have it changed to that... hmmgrin

mycatsaysach Tue 13-Dec-11 18:32:38

my house is called foxgloves - i don't have any and never use it

RemainsOfTheDay Tue 13-Dec-11 18:33:53

PIL's did this. It's so utterly wankerish. I only use the number.

HarrySantaatemygoldfish Tue 13-Dec-11 18:34:01

Nothing can ever better Casa Bevron! grin

Grockle Tue 13-Dec-11 18:34:36

Do they have a link with providence?

flamingoFeet Tue 13-Dec-11 18:34:52

Is it a corruption of their names?

My mum and dad did this...<dies of shame>
It sounded like an unction for piles.

I love the name foxgloves. It makes methink of foxes wearing gloves.

Our house has no name, but if it did, it would be 'The Blue House' which is just descriptive.

Clossaintjacques Tue 13-Dec-11 18:36:33

This thread has made me laugh. My parents did this and we all refused to call the house by the name and it got forgotten and no longer mentioned. Just as well really because they named it after the pub they met in grin

NoOnesGoingToEatYourMincePies Tue 13-Dec-11 18:40:05

I did once call at a house that had a personalised marble doorstep, about a meter square, with the full names of the couple that lived in it, a quote from a poem and the date of their wedding carved in it.

All very hideous well, but they wanted to sell the house and couldn't understand why the doorstep might put buyers off a bit.

Darnsarfupnorf Tue 13-Dec-11 18:48:29

a friend of mine moved into a house called 'the joy den'....previous owner being joyce and dennis

there really are no words... grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now