to think Elizabeth Gaskell would have been a MNetter?

(20 Posts)

MardyBra - agree re flaming!

MardyBra Fri 30-Sep-11 19:58:04

I think this thread belongs in Chat rather than AIBU though.

MardyBra Fri 30-Sep-11 19:57:46

Scarlett O'Hara
AIBU to marry DSis's fiancee to keep our family home in tact?

glastocat Fri 30-Sep-11 16:20:38

Jane Eyre....AIBU to kick StJohn Rivers in the bollocks next time he tells me I'm built for labour, not for love? grin

FancyForgetting Fri 30-Sep-11 16:20:12

Was thinking along these lines while listening to Wuthering Heights adaptation the other day - imagining Cathy asking 'AIBU or is DH? He adores me but I only married him for his money and now the tosser is objecting to my relationship with my step-brother and is really pissed off because he has run off with SiL...'

Decided she was definitely the NetMums type, but then concluded she and Heathcliff would probably make a cracking episode of Jeremy Kyle smile

<Not-a-romantic-bone-in-my-body emoticon>

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Fri 30-Sep-11 16:16:08

grin typo... I meant homekeeper
Although, in the original tale, it was snow white's mother who tried to kill her... And it was all based on a true story, albeit loosely.

CaptainNancy Fri 30-Sep-11 16:13:39

Mrs Gaskell would have been bibbety I think

Tianc Fri 30-Sep-11 16:11:25

Snow White was a Mother? shock

They didn't tell us that at nursery school!

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Fri 30-Sep-11 15:31:27

Mother Gothel : AIBU to be overly protective of my DD?

Mrs Dalloway's daughter would have been in the Feminism section

Hansel and Gretel's mother. AIBU to think I come before DSS and DSD?

Cinderella's Stepmother: AIBU to think my DSD should participate in household chores?

Mrs Banks would have remained slightly confused in the FS

Snow White AIBU to expect the 7 men I live with to help with chores, even if I am a SAHM?

WorkInProgress Fri 30-Sep-11 15:21:12

Wouldn't it have been Darcy's sisters on mumsnet complaining of gold digging girlfriend and her chavvy family?

Tianc Fri 30-Sep-11 15:20:34

Ooh, not so sure!

Queen Vic: My husband wears some, er, jewellery in an intimate area. Is this normal? Won't it hurt me? Advice from more experienced ladies wanted.

MardyBra Fri 30-Sep-11 15:07:54

Sorry meant Queen Vic would have been on Netmums not MN

MardyBra Fri 30-Sep-11 15:06:52

Good thread idea.

Having been to see the film recently, I was reminded of how straight talking Jane Eyre was.

Dashing, I think Bathsheba would have been a great AIBU.

Madame Bovary would have deserved a thorough flaming on the Relationships board (silly mare).

Queen Victoria would have been on MN because she would have disapproved of all the swearing and bumsex. But Anne Bolyen and Elizabeth 1 would have been a right laugh, I reckon.

Off to do the school run, but will think of more.

Bathsheba Everdene: AIBU to think that having just got over the disappearance of my wastrel husband, who treated me very badly and who I found out had actually fathered a child out of wedlock blush on a serving maid shock, I should not now be receving most unwelcome proposals from my neighbour? Admittedly, I did rather flirt with him at one time, before the wastrel ruined my life, but I think it in the most DUBIOUS of taste for him to start pestering me now. He wants me to go to his Christmas party, but I'm in mourning and all my staff and labourers will be there!

WannaBeMarryPoppins Thu 29-Sep-11 13:36:47

Reading Alice in Wonderland at the moment and think that her parents would have definitely posted about their daughters apparent drug use in the teenagers section!

Whatmeworry Thu 29-Sep-11 13:02:48

I think Sylvia and Emmeline Pankhurt would have rocked the Feminism board

In more ways than one....

Tianc Thu 29-Sep-11 11:52:40

Esther Summerson: I seem to have picked up an admirer. blush I'm sure he's very respectable but he just doesn't do it for me, and now he's trying to be "helpful" by digging up stuff on my family (long story – adopted) . WWYD?

Tianc Thu 29-Sep-11 11:43:21

Emily Davison: I'm posting from my iPhone inside a cupboard in Houses of Parliament! Cannot wait to see the look on the census collector's face.

tiddlerslate Thu 29-Sep-11 11:34:06

I think Sylvia and Emmeline Pankhurt would have rocked the Feminism board.

Tianc Thu 29-Sep-11 11:15:46

Just started reading Mary Barton, and there on p16 is a shopping list with... "nice ham." shock

Who else (real or fictional) would have been a MNetter, and what would they have posted?

Mrs John Dashwood in AIBU: AIBU to stop my husband giving his half-sisters money? We're bending over backwards for them as it is, letting them stay in their our house, carting furniture around for them. And their china is too nice for a poor family, should I shop them as benefit fraudsters?

Elizabeth Bennett in Relationships: My sister has been seeing this gorgeous man, really perfect for her, but he has these toxic sisters. They keep smarming up to her, but I don't think they really like her and I'm afraid they're actually trying to break up her relationship.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now