Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To not believe that 40% of parents want to bring back the cane?

(372 Posts)
Voidka Fri 16-Sep-11 11:53:59
echt Fri 16-Sep-11 12:01:57

YANBU.

They want it back for OTHER kids. You know, feral like.

Just as certain parents like streaming as long as their children aren't in the bottom set.grin

It wouldnt bother me...my DS is a good kid so I doubt he would ever be on the receiving end anyway.

When I was at school the cane was sort of an urban legend. No-one I knew ever had it but the fear of it was enough to keep everyone in check.

We've gone mad now, too soft in many ways, hence sometimes a lack of control.

Miggsie Fri 16-Sep-11 12:08:26

I'm not sure that teaching children that "you must obey, obedience involves humiliation and pain, when you grow up, you can do this too, it's the right way to break someone's will" is a good thing.

However, the current system is not maintaining discipline but instead of going back to basic sadism I think we need some more imaginative and less brutal ways of getting people to be less anti social.

Voidka Fri 16-Sep-11 12:08:38

But surely the way to fix that is to go to the other extreme?

clairefromsteps Fri 16-Sep-11 12:09:50

How did I know this was going to relate to a DM article?

If their figures aren't completely made up, I would suggest that yes, some parents would like the cane brought back but haven't fully considered the implications (ie that it could also be used on their own little darlings).

40notTrendy Fri 16-Sep-11 12:10:05

Another idea that people think is a quick fix for society's problems.

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow Fri 16-Sep-11 12:12:20

YANBU I don't believe it either.

How do they know anyway? They just make the figures up. No-one ever asked me whether I wanted the cane brought back, or anyone I know.

Lets test the theory, how many of us here on mumsnet were asked by David Cameron whether we wanted the cane back?

Voidka Fri 16-Sep-11 12:13:39

To be fair I have heard it on the BBC and Sky News too.

Voidka Fri 16-Sep-11 12:14:07

Well I for one dont!

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Fri 16-Sep-11 12:14:22

YANBU.

My father was caned as a child. I can't remember the details of how it happened, but he lost the tip of his ear thanks to the cane. Where my DS is concerned, it's my duty to discipline him, not the teachers. It's all very well them putting him in time out, but I deal with the behaviour issues.

kat2504 Fri 16-Sep-11 12:17:45

Must be a slow news day or something. this is never going to happen so why are they wasting their breath/column inches debating it? The teaching profession is pretty much unanimously against it, so even if it was not illegal, it just wouldn't be happening.

And yes, those in favour are only actually in favour of other people's children being abused. Their own children are, of course, impeccably behaved at all times hmm

OriginalPoster Fri 16-Sep-11 12:18:18

If I was stopped in the street and asked if I want to bring back caning, I might well say 'yes, and hanging' just out of badness because I don't like to be asked and reveal my views to random people on the street.

On here, of course, I love discussing stuff with random people. But I chose to come on here...

MinnieBar Fri 16-Sep-11 12:20:24

It's rather moot though isn't it, seeing as how it's against the law. I very much doubt they will go that far tbh.

It is dangerous to send out the message that if you commit a wrong it is ok to be physically hurt. We should be removing all violence and aggression out of childrens lives.
I worry about the lack of educational statements and how this would effect those SN children, without a definate diagnosis.

We would not be able to use it for 'looked after children' or those in the CP system, already, so lots of dilemmas before we even start.

When i went to school 1970's the most badly behaved were those that were from neglectful, abusive bacground. Mainy got beaten regulary by their fathers, the cane meant nothing to them.

Children are going into schools with knives on them, under the threat of being stapped and shot, themselves, they aren't going to care about being threatened with the cane.

If the teacher can cane my child, why carn't i give her a smack if she's out of order?

TBH I am in favour and if my DS behaved so appallingly that they felt he needed to be caned so be it. However, I dont ever need to go down this route at home and I am sure he wouldnt need to be caned at school!

I think the softer this country has become, the more the country has gone to the dogs. Kids today know they can get away with blue murder....my Dsis is a teacher and some of the tales she has told me....it would make your hair curl!

but of course, they never will bring it back anyway so it's all hyperthetical.

kat2504 Fri 16-Sep-11 12:22:46

That's a good point you make, seems quite sick actually to impose more violence on the very kids who are being abused at home already. That's really going to help them isn't it?

We would end u with two children carry out the same behaviour, on gets the canem the other one doesn't, how is this going to help?

Also if a child is given the cane, they can justifiably go and hit the child that told on them, because that's what we do when we are wronged, isn't it?

Sorry for the typo's blush

deaconblue Fri 16-Sep-11 12:36:20

Utter nonsense- the same parents would be up the school like a shot 'you touch my kid and I'll smack your head in'

Gissabreak Fri 16-Sep-11 12:37:46

Message withdrawn

cornsylk Fri 16-Sep-11 12:38:35

so betty you are in favour because you think it won't apply to your child hmm

LeQueen Fri 16-Sep-11 12:38:35

Wouldn't bother me if they brought back the cane, I very much doubt it would ever be used on my DDs. I would certainly never have done anything to warrant the cane at school either.

They had the cane at my DH's school. I think it was rarely used, though DH did get it once. His parents were told, and his Dad went ballistic at him for breaking school rules. DH was grounded for a month, no pocket money, made to do endless chores, his Spectrum ZX was removed. He was never so stupid as to get the cane again, the repurcussions were too dreadful.

Teachers had no problem with launching black-board rubbers at pupils though, if they weren't paying attention. And, one lad who wore a load of gel in his hair to school (against school rules) was marched into the loos and his head stuck under the cold tap by a teacher. Pupils were very scared respectful of the teachers.

School had virtually no discipline/truancy problems, and had amazing academic results.

Corn if you read my post properly I say that if he behaved so appallingly to warrant the cane then so be it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now