Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think that this complete stranger should acknowledge me?

(189 Posts)
nevergoogle Mon 01-Aug-11 21:00:38

I mean, FFS, for the past two years I have walked past this guy on my way to work, every single bleeding morning.
Then, on my way home, we pass each other again.
We live in a small town, there's never anyone else about yet he strides past with his head up and stares straight ahead as if I'm a figment of my own fucking imagination.
I think he works near my house, and i must work near his. It's a 10 minute walk.

Is it too much to expect a 'morning' or a 'fuck sake is it you again trying to get a reaction who the fuck do you think you are?'
fucking something surely!? it's very annoying

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Mon 01-Aug-11 21:01:45

So he just ignores you when you say good morning to him?

That's bloody rude.

ajaybaines Mon 01-Aug-11 21:02:05

Well it obviously is too much for him, for whatever reason, so YABU for stressing about it.

If he says hello then next time you might have to talk.

You might be one of these needy clinging people.

ANd he'll have to talk to you every day forever or move away

Next time you pass him say "Good morning! Spiffing day!" He might think you ought to acknowledge him?

AgentZigzag Mon 01-Aug-11 21:04:24

We live in a similar place and there's quite a few people I either just say hello to or have a quick chat with as we're passing.

But there is one woman who always has a right face on and never even gives the smallest smile, even though I've been passing her for at least five years.

Have you tried doggedly saying hello every time you pass? grin

Maybe he's a murderer in his spare time and you're better off walking past?

hellospoon Mon 01-Aug-11 21:05:36

You sound kinda scary..

<backs away>

TattyDevine Mon 01-Aug-11 21:05:42

English people are so funny.

posterofagirl Mon 01-Aug-11 21:05:52

This happened to me once, I tried tipping my imaginary cap, saluting and saying 'top of the morning to you' before I got a grunted 'hi' in return. Proud.

nevergoogle Mon 01-Aug-11 21:06:18

no, i don't say hello. he never makes eye contact.

on the other hand i have a friendly exchange with the street cleaner every morning, and can tell if i'm running late by how far down the high street he's got when i meet him. he's like bloody clockwork.

redskyatnight Mon 01-Aug-11 21:06:32

I used to pass the same lady every day on my way to work. Over a period of many months we progressed from studiously ignoring each other, to half smiles, to saying hello.

Then my working hours changed and I didn't see her again. It cross my mind to think whether she wondered what had happened to me. For about half a second.

You're a total stranger and are probably forgotten as soon as you're passed. Or he might be half asleep and not even notice you.

AgentZigzag Mon 01-Aug-11 21:06:38

'Eccentric' I think you'll find the word is Tatty grin

nevergoogle Mon 01-Aug-11 21:07:30

it's not in england. have no idea where he's from of course.

nightshade Mon 01-Aug-11 21:09:00

well if you never say hello then you can hardly blame him.

nevergoogle Mon 01-Aug-11 21:09:59

but... you need eye contact first surely.

he stares straight ahead.

i'm going to do a cartwheel tomorrow.

emsyj Mon 01-Aug-11 21:10:00

YANBU! I go to the same cafe with some other mum friends all the time and am now on conversational terms with 99% of the other regulars. One day I was walking through (small town) with DH and an old lady came up to me and started animatedly chatting about one of my friends. DH was really bewildered as he has no idea about my secret Mumday life and so I had to explain she was one of the cafe people. I don't know her name! But she and her friend always talk to the babies and say hello to us.

GingerbreadDad Mon 01-Aug-11 21:10:46

So you have never talked to him but expect him to talk to you?

nevergoogle Mon 01-Aug-11 21:12:02

yup

AgentZigzag Mon 01-Aug-11 21:13:18

I get what you mean about it progressing on from eye contact first, it is a bit odd that he doesn't acknowledge you in any way after so long.

GingerbreadDad Mon 01-Aug-11 21:14:02

Well then your BU

His probably thinking the same as you

GingerbreadDad Mon 01-Aug-11 21:16:50

Maybe he used to be a londoner, they are experts at ignoring people during their commute to work. grin

AnyFucker Germany Mon 01-Aug-11 21:18:33

start clucking like a chicken

or flash your boobs at him

it will get you a reaction one way or the other smile

tethersend Mon 01-Aug-11 21:19:04

I once had a fling with a guy who I passed on the way to work every morning.

He clearly thinks you're HOT.

EvenLessNarkyPuffin Mon 01-Aug-11 21:19:38

He might know you are a crazy lady be a bit of a daydreamer.

tethersend Mon 01-Aug-11 21:19:41

And that was in London, GingerbreadDad wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now