Ew Ew EW EWW!!!

(113 Posts)
fluffyanimal Tue 19-Jul-11 09:00:34

Last night I had a really weird dream about having an endoscopy (i have never had one in real life). It was quite vivid, I could feel the scope going down my throat which was a bit unpleasant but bearable. Then the doctors left me alone and I started to gag and try to bring up the tube.

Then I woke up and I still had the feeling of having a foreign body in my throat. I drank some water but it didn't really go away. it felt like when you accidentally swallow something that you haven't chewed properly.

AIBU to think I've probably swallowed a spider in my sleep? <boak>

OH MY FUCKING GOD. If a bird tries to fly down your throat today, then yes, you did swallow a spider.

bruxeur Tue 19-Jul-11 09:03:01

Heh. You're old.

AtYourCervix Tue 19-Jul-11 09:03:46

stop before you get the horse. you know what will happen if you don't.

fluffyanimal Tue 19-Jul-11 09:08:00

That song has in fact been in my head ever since. So far, though, nothing is wrigging and jiggling and tickling inside me, thank God.

brainhurtsandconfused Tue 19-Jul-11 09:17:08

Reminds me of the time that I woke to find bits in my mouth. I layed there trying to remember what I'd eaten the night before but nothing came to mind.

I eventually fished the bits out of my mouth to find that they were 2 very long spiders legs! EW EW EW! I was heavily pregnant at the the time and spend the remainder of the day with my head down the toilet chucking up everytime I thought about it!

AtYourCervix Tue 19-Jul-11 09:22:08

i'm going to hide this thread now. i actually feel a bit faint.

brainhurtsandconfused Tue 19-Jul-11 09:24:25

I'm off for some counselling now, this damn thread has brought the whole trauma back...

Pin0t Tue 19-Jul-11 09:28:31

NO.

TOO MUCH.

<voms>

All these years I have been holding on to the vain hope that eating spiders in yer sleep is just an urban myth! I may never sleep again.

<Faints clean away>

superv1xen Tue 19-Jul-11 09:40:33

shock

omg brainhurts

<hides thread>

Salmotrutta Tue 19-Jul-11 09:41:07

Oh help!! brainhurts - please tell me that was a joke??!!

I feel a bit sick now too <retch>

EricNorthmansMistressOfPotions Tue 19-Jul-11 09:46:31

Brainhurts shock [boak]

OP it might have been sleep apnoea rather than swallowing a spider...(hopeful)

TheBigJessie Tue 19-Jul-11 09:49:16

I'm sleeping on my stomach from now on.

JeffTracy Tue 19-Jul-11 09:52:57

Sleep tight, hope the... er... oh nevermind...

brainhurtsandconfused Tue 19-Jul-11 09:58:00

I would love to tell you that it wasn't true... I'm just glad that I wasn't aware of the other 7 that you supposedly swallow a year!

I had a spider drop from the ceiling into my lunch once, I am still traumatised....

disclaimer: I am NOT Miss Muffett <contemplates namechange>

misty0 Tue 19-Jul-11 10:03:18

Nnnnnnnnnnnno! Noooooooooo!

Oh God i thought it was a myth shockshockshock

EEEW

Salmotrutta Tue 19-Jul-11 10:04:56

There's a tribe in South America (?) who catch and eat Giant Tarantulas.................... <runs away to get hard hat>

misty0 Tue 19-Jul-11 10:13:00

My friend, when she was a kid, was in the kitchen, her mum had been baking. She saw a stray current on the work top - and popped it in her mouth.

Yep! You guessed it! She felt the legs all unfold on her toung .... aaaarrrggghh.

shock

crazynanna Tue 19-Jul-11 10:13:32

Don't worry...it's protein smile

QueenStromba Tue 19-Jul-11 10:18:48

The eating 8 spiders a year in your sleep is actually a made up fact. A journalist made it up in order to prove how people will believe any old thing you put on the internet, now when she tries to explain to people that she made it up to prove a point people say that it is true because they read it on such and such a website.

brainhurtsandconfused Tue 19-Jul-11 10:26:43

I can assure you Queen that the long, tough, brittle pieces that I hooked out with my tongue and resisted the urge to chew on, were definitely spiders legs!

Mind you I was huge at the time, flat on my back, mouth wide open and snoring like a trooper!

QueenStromba I'm giong with your explanation there <puts on blinkers>

fluffyanimal Tue 19-Jul-11 10:32:56

brainhurts
Sorry for bringing back past trauma! I am also not small and was sleeping on my back, probably snoring.

That also makes me hope it could just have been sleep apnoea like Eric said.

eurochick Tue 19-Jul-11 10:34:14

OMGOMGOMG!

@ Brain

brainhurtsandconfused Tue 19-Jul-11 10:34:48

You hope!grin

LuckyMrsT Tue 19-Jul-11 11:22:26

This thread has made me cry with laughter. Thank you all.

ScaredOfCows Tue 19-Jul-11 11:34:52

I had a fried spider in my fish and chips (chip shop) once. It wasn't very nice and I don't suppose the spider was impressed either.

Grumpla Tue 19-Jul-11 11:55:34

<vomits>

ChildofIsis Tue 19-Jul-11 12:18:20

My friend once found a hair in a curd tart from our local bakers.

We thought it was bad enough until tests were done on it and it was a pubic hair!!!

Needless to say my friend doesn't go there anymore and received a sizeable sum to keep quiet about it.

Empusa Tue 19-Jul-11 12:22:04

misty shock

Oh dear fucking god!!!

notso Tue 19-Jul-11 12:34:54

I had a glass of water near my bed and when I was drinking felt something go into my mouth, when I spat it back out it was a spider minus a couple of legs, one of those big ass ones as well.
I shuddered for about a month afterwards!

ChildofIsis I found a massive handful of pubes on an almond croissant in M&S once, when I complained the woman asked if they were mine!

snoopdogg Tue 19-Jul-11 12:38:47

I woke up to a tickling sensation on my face so scratched my cheek and squashed a big spider into my own skin............. <boak>

whatsallthehullaballoo Tue 19-Jul-11 12:38:51

notso The same thing happened to me a few mornings back but with my cuppa tea. OMG I nearly hurled - only my two kids staring at me asking "what's wrong mummy" stopped me from vomiting in my sitting room....

It can happen to any of you <manic laughter>

<rocking back and forth>

spout Tue 19-Jul-11 12:40:38

I'm vomming a bit more at 'curd tart' grin

Tidey Tue 19-Jul-11 12:40:46

Back when I was a teen, I was at a popular summer festival. I had opened a can of lager and put it down on the grass next to my tent. A few minutes later when I picked it up and drank some, a slug plopped into my mouth.

spout Tue 19-Jul-11 12:42:21

When DS was about 18mo he tottered into the kitchen with two GIANT spider legs poking out of his mouth. Still twitching.

<BLEAARRRGGGHGHGHHHHH!!!!!>

psiloveyou Tue 19-Jul-11 12:47:11

FFS where were you lot when I talked about swallowing a spider in my sleep last year. I got flamed by someone who said it was impossible and I must have been eating toast or crisp crumbs in my sleep. Not one person stuck up for me.
Where were all you spider eaters then eh.

notso Tue 19-Jul-11 12:50:30

I was probably shuddering in a dark corner psiloveyou

whatsallthehullaballoo Tue 19-Jul-11 12:52:46

psiloveyou You have your revenge now.....I have been traumatised. Ergh.

ShirleyKnot Tue 19-Jul-11 12:56:14

<silent scream>

I'm an asthmatic and one night I woke up feeling wheezy, my inhaler had fallen onto the floor and the lid had come off. I switched the light on, grabbed my puffer and took a big PUFF. As I inhaled I felt something shoot into the back of my throat and then scrabble about. I COUGHED and a fucking EARWIG flew out of my mouth and ran off.

<LOUD SCREAM>

EARWIGS are much much worse and harder than spiders.

Earwigs are basically spiders with flickknives attached to their heads.

urgh
I have no more to say

Salmotrutta Tue 19-Jul-11 13:03:19

Shirley - my mum once bit into a strawberry which turned out to be full of baby earwigs shock

<told that story on here before actually>

Salmotrutta Tue 19-Jul-11 13:04:50

Oh, and I once bought a pomegranate, opened it up at home - and it was full of maggots. I do believe I launched it across the kitchen.

<squirms at repressed memory>

Tidey Tue 19-Jul-11 13:05:30

Eurrrrghhhh earwigs are fuppin' horrifying.

ShirleyKnot Tue 19-Jul-11 13:06:23

Fu.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!

That is just so bad. Salmo. So bad. sad.

If I hadn't have coughed the blighter out I might have died at the pincers of the evil earwigs. Death by Earwig. shock

shelfy74 Tue 19-Jul-11 13:07:17

Drinking a slug?!! That's horrific.

cheekeymonkey Tue 19-Jul-11 13:10:52

My hubby awoke one morning in a lounge after a party at someones house and noticed a 'snail trail' going across the carpet.

DH followed said trail and it lead to the open mouth of his mate that was sleeping on the sofa!

No sign of slug/snail.

ShirleyKnot Tue 19-Jul-11 13:11:22

Oh and I also drank a ladybird in a cup-O-Soup.

CointreauVersial Tue 19-Jul-11 13:12:02

I've trodden on a slug in bare feet but never swallowed one.

Thanks guys, just eaten my lunch and now feeling a little nauseous.

Salmotrutta Tue 19-Jul-11 13:13:59

Oh yes indeedy - earwigs are evil I tell you. <sinister wee beggars>

And never plant dahlias - earwigs love dahlias.

I hate dahlias.

Tidey Tue 19-Jul-11 13:17:16

I probably don't really qualify for the thread because I didn't actually swallow the slug, just had the rather unpleasant sensation of it being in my mouth before spitting it and the mouthful of lager across a field. Ah, those were the days.

aliceliddell Tue 19-Jul-11 13:22:19

You are all vile and repellent for telling me these things. And reminding me of spider down pyjama leg and humungous slug in biscuit tin while camping. Both found in semi-darkness while half asleep.

begonyabampot Tue 19-Jul-11 13:29:35

did puck up a raisin once, pop it in my mouth to realise it was a dead fly and very crunchy - boak. Knew of someone who woke up to find a huge cockroach on their lip - double boak!

begonyabampot Tue 19-Jul-11 13:30:56

Oh and was eating from an opened bag of popcorn a few days ago to look in and see an earwig in it - another boak!

fluffyanimal Tue 19-Jul-11 13:31:11

My DH once trod on a slug in just his socks (my DH that is, not the slug). The squashed slug never washed out of his sock. It would dry out into a hard lump then rehydrate the next time I tried to wash it. We had to throw it away.

psiloveyou please revisit your story for me if you can bear the trauma. How did you know you had swallowed a spider?

Sleep apnoea sufferers, does it ever feel like you've swallowed a foreign body? <Serious question in otherwise very fun and possibly my most successful thread> grin

aliceliddell Tue 19-Jul-11 13:37:23

Anyway, I am going to tell dp about this because he lies on his back, mouth open, snoring (keeping me awake) and he is scared of spiders. Revenge is a dish best eaten cold. Unlike spiders (nicer warm).

NestaFiesta Tue 19-Jul-11 13:50:54

OP YABU for starting this thread. I am terrified of spiders and hate even writing the word. This thread has fucked me up forever! I will be sleeping with gaffer tape over my mouth.

BalloonSlayer Tue 19-Jul-11 13:54:01

My Mum was in the bath once and a crane fly/daddy long legs was bumping about the room. Suddenly it crashed and landed right in her bush (as Jilly would call it).

What with the crane fly legs being about the thickness of pubes it didn't really survive her attempts to disentangle it. She said she felt like Mrs Slocombe: "Ooooh my pussy went WILD!"

maxybrown Tue 19-Jul-11 13:57:48

I shared DH's drink the other night, it was the last of the nice drink we had left but I'd given it to him as he was upstairs sweating away putting new furniture together - he'd had it upsatirs on the window sill, all windows open as it was roasting. Anyway he comes down for dinner and I pinch a bit after we have eaten. I'm thinking, urgh he's got food in it like DS so spat out Q"food" it was only a great big bloody fly - EEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWW!! He said don't be so pathetic, we eat flys all the time when we're asleep - not like THAT I said (whilst gagging and wiping tongue) where is it he says, I show him Oh GOD!! he says ewww yak that's horrible - a massive bloody blue bottle it was too, oh gosh I feel ill now again at the thought................................

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

<BOAK> This is gross!!!

Reminds me of the time my Mum got sent home from work for being sick - Amazing as she had never ever been sick before, turns out she was sat in the staff room eating a Tesco yog when she Crunched something - she spat into a tissue revealing a COCKROACH!!! She didn't want to make a fuss so tried to run to the toilets and ended up throwing up in the corridor!!!

She got a £10 voucher from said shop and a letter a few weeks later confirming there had been "Insect particles" found inthe yog and they were "Sorry" ha ha Needless to say she doesn't eat yoghurts anymore!

MinnieBar Tue 19-Jul-11 14:12:49

See, my nan always told us to put something over the top of fizzy drinks cans 'in case a wasp flies in there'. We always thought she was being over-the-top, but clearly not...

Right, as an arachnophobe I know my enemy (a bit):

1. The seven spiders a year is a myth, however that's clearly not to say that it can't ever happen. Think about it - how on earth would you research it and definitively come up with that number??

2. The reason why a spider might be attracted to your mouth is because dampness has the same smell as spider sex hormones, which is also why they are so often found in the bath/sink. Basically they're just trying to get laid. Maybe you night-time spider eaters drool a lot wink

We keep a carafe of water on the kitchen work top as I don't like water straight from the fridge (sensitive teeth these days) and one of those spindly-but-big fuckers was drowning in there the other day. Horny fool.

MaxSchreck Tue 19-Jul-11 14:14:37

Tidey, that is utterly appalling.

You had a slug in your mouth?
And you kiss your family??

Ewwwww x a million.

I confess, I have knowingly eaten a spider in Thailand.
But it was beautifully cooked and served with a smile.

cheekeymonkey Tue 19-Jul-11 15:04:40

Is eating a blue bottle a bit like eating a fig?

maxybrown Tue 19-Jul-11 15:12:21

NO, I can eat figs without feeling like wanting to rip my tongue out and worrying over dog poo grin

a slug.................urgh god I gotta go, I'm also now going to have to thoroughly stir any yoghurts I eat first yak. I already have to examine tins of tomatoes after my friend once opened a tin and tipped out a small snake head......from waitrose as well!

fluffyanimal Tue 19-Jul-11 15:13:47

MinnieBar this is the spider mating season, and I have seen a few large ones rampaging around our house over the last few days (happy to let them do that normally, but not if they want to rampage into my mouth!)

cheekeymonkey Tue 19-Jul-11 15:13:54

I had a meal served to me whilst I was at school and it had a filling in it!

Now I feel sick

cheekeymonkey Tue 19-Jul-11 15:14:52

Are shredded wheat like spiders legs?

cheekeymonkey Tue 19-Jul-11 15:18:17

Btw OP an endoscopy is more like eating a whole television set plus the stand it is on. smile

fluffyanimal Tue 19-Jul-11 15:37:01

Cheekey I don't think anyone actually gave me an endoscopy while I was asleep LOL! grin Unless I was abducted and probed by aliens of course... shock

cheekeymonkey Tue 19-Jul-11 15:38:13

No....they go for the belly button grin

OrdinaryJo Tue 19-Jul-11 15:55:42

Oh my giddy aunt

<boaksville>

Reminds me of the time I cut into a red pepper and there was a fully formed moth inside it.

AND at Christmas dinner at my mums when I took a big gulp of red wine and felt something knocking against my teeth - it was a bloody massive yet strangely dessicated spider. DM still swears it must have come out of the wine bottle, I'm more inclined to think someone didn't wipe the 'good glasses' when they took them out for their yearly airing.

brainhurtsandconfused Tue 19-Jul-11 16:33:11

Tidey, that almost distressed me as much as actually digesting a spider!!!

Did the slime stay in your mouth like it does when you step on them? (yes, have also had the misfortune of stepping on a slug bare foot) <boak>

LadyFlumpalot Tue 19-Jul-11 16:37:40

I used to live in a very very damp bungalow. We had the following: Snails in the bedroom, slugs in the bedroom and shower, woodlice everywhere and as a consequence Woodlouse spiders everywhere...

One evening I made myself a cup of tea, popped it on my bedside table ready to have a snuggle up with my new book before bed. Left the room for two minutes. I came back in and found a slug had climbed up my mug of tea, wrapped its tail round the handle and had its head in the mug, actually drinking my tea! I could see the little ripples and everything! Cheeky fucker!

Bizkit Tue 19-Jul-11 16:59:38

My throat feels funny

Okay,
Im happy with the bumsex threads, and the compare the worst swear word threads, i can be serious if i need to, but always up for a joke, i have no issue with mumsnetters having swear words in their posting names....
but....
but....people please for the love of god - If you must talk about eating insects and spiders and slugs could you please put it in your title...

I WILL HAVE NIGHTMARES FOR MONTHS AFTER THIS THREAD (you fuckers)

HuntForGalaxyHazelnut Tue 19-Jul-11 17:13:27

I am traumatised by this thread! Especially the asthmatic earwig and the cockroach in the yoghurt!

I'm going to ask my grandma to knit me a balaclava without a mouth hole for me to sleep in so no spiders can get into my mouth! Actually i wont need eyeholes either if it's just for sleeping, so just some kind of big sock would do....
<ponders how stupid I'd look vs the safety aspect>

OMG Flumpalot - That picture is GROSS!

highhopes2010 Tue 19-Jul-11 18:32:08

well when I was a teenager I woke up from a drunken sleep in the middle of the night and made myself a vimpto without the kitchen light on. I was gulping it down and thought why the hell is this drink bitty? Anyway the next morning I came downstairs and found the side with the vimpto on crawling...no ...heaving with ants and there was lots in the bottle of vimpto as my brother had left the lid off it before I had got to it! NICE!

soverylucky Tue 19-Jul-11 18:35:21

I think I am going to be sick. Bllllleeeeeeeuuuuuurrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhh!
I won't sleep tonight. Yuck.

highhopes2010 Tue 19-Jul-11 18:37:49

Another drunken sleep and another trip down to the kitchen but this time I saw the whipped squirty cream on the side and decided to have a few squirts but nothing came out except end of bottle liquid and air. Didnt taste very nice either.got up the next morning with a slightly swollen tongue?and ready to have a go at my brother for always eating things before me and saw the bottle on the side-which actually turned out to be suede cleaner for shoes!

highhopes2010 Tue 19-Jul-11 18:41:17

Another drunken sleep as a teenager and woke up to a nice can of coke at the side of me.drank some and swallowed the cig dimp my bf had put in it earlier! Now realise why I dont drink any more!

UpsyDozy Tue 19-Jul-11 18:47:49

I used to work abroad and woke up one night as a lizard ran across my face. I could feel the little feet pattering across my cheek!

It was the cockroaches that used to bother me the most. I had to check all round the room when I turned the light on and you'd see all these little fuckers scatter under the wardrobe. Clearly that's when I rarely went to bed sober....

BootyMum Tue 19-Jul-11 18:51:38

Oh, this is a thread about insects...

I thought from the OP that fluffyanimal's DH, ahem, had himself a little BJ action on the sly whilst she was asleep.

I mean, it could have been that rather than a spider, couldn't it?

Sorry if the thought of that is just as unpalatable.

But I just wonder OP, did your DH have a big smile on his face when you woke up this morning?

ButWhyIsTheGinGone Tue 19-Jul-11 20:34:06

I once took off my bra at bed-time to find a perfectly-pressed and most decidedly flattened-out ENORMOUS spider. Have no recollection of it falling in there but I slept very uneasily that night :-(

Thingumy Tue 19-Jul-11 20:40:26

Dh woke up in the early hours a few nights back as a tickling sensation on his mouth had woke him up,he thought it might of been my hair (gets everywhere) but alas it was not,it was a hairy bastard spider and I presume it was the same fucking massive spider he tried to kill with one of my pumps a few nights previous...

It's still not been caught yet,maybe it has finally been eaten by one of us?

bottleofwineandastrawplease Tue 19-Jul-11 20:48:05

Haven't finished reading the whole of the thread yet, but when my DS was about 9mths he ate a spider.

He was crawling across the living room, spider ran past, as it did so he picked it up and popped it in his mouth, and then carried on crawling along on his merry way.

Didn't seem bothered and I presume that he ate the damn thing as I didn't see him spit it out.

fluffyanimal Wed 20-Jul-11 08:26:04

BootyMum LOL no, it wasn't DH as I'm quite sure I'd worn him out before going to bed blush

hairfullofsnakes Wed 20-Jul-11 08:35:08

Brainhurts... That is one of the scariest things I have ever read. I am
Taping my mouth shut before bed

I feel quite sick!

mandalee Fri 22-Jul-11 18:12:49

ShirleyKnot - just saw this thread on the roundup (congrats you lot, BTW, for having THE most revolting thread on MN this week!) Had to tell you that my husband had the EXACT same thing happen to him with an earwig in his inhaler!! The little fuckers shits insects must have a thing for the inhaler powder...

And in case you're wondering, he hasn't gotten over it yet either. You have my commiserations.

Maat Fri 22-Jul-11 18:22:20

I am going to find a wedding veil to wear when I am asleep.

catinboots Fri 22-Jul-11 18:28:43

I had a mouse run up my trouser leg once. I shit you not.

And I am not a cartoon character. I am a real person.

Oh my fucking God. I am going to sew shut my own mouth, which will have the added benefit of helping me to lose weight.

< faints>

Chocolateporridge Sun 24-Jul-11 21:17:51

One night in a very run down Edinburgh B&B I had my DH searching high and low for a HUMUNGOUS spider that ran past the bed when i was about to get in. He tried valiantly to find it but gave up in the end and I had a fitfull sleep until he went to the loo in the night and freaked out when he realised he'd been in bed with a large squashed spider stuck to the sole of his foot

boak wink

glitterkitty Sun 24-Jul-11 21:35:32

I was sitting upstairs on a really bloody hot bus and felt my hair rickling my neck, went to brush it away ind it was a massive cricket CLINGING TO MY SWEATY NECK shock i did awful spasmy neck scraping dance that probably amused a few ppl.

I have had the earwig in inhaler before too, but luckily had tapped it and it fell out.

And one eve I was cleaning my teeth- I drank from the tap and swished, and spat out a load of silverfish BOAK BOAK BOAK

babybarrister Sun 24-Jul-11 21:52:00

I once bought a massive whole brie from France for Xmas and left it out in the utility room so it would be "room temperature" - fuck the thing was literally alive with white maggots when I cut a piece off .... boak

Urrrggghhhh. That is my worst nightmare and I'm sure I'll have them again tonight.

Seems though its is possible to swallow a spider.

<makes mental note to sleep on front, mouth tight shut, and closed bottle of water>

tethersend Sun 24-Jul-11 21:59:30

Not me, but an ex colleague. Stlll makes me shudder...

One night, she woke up thirsty and took a massive swig from the glass of water by her bed. She says she felt it unfurl in her mouth.

She pulled it out of her mouth and flung it against the wall. It made a thud.

I keep a bottle of water with a lid on by my bed now.

<wibble>

Oh my god, you are all horrible. I keep feeling my hair tickling me and keep having to check it's not a spider. Bloody hell.

Ok, one time my sister and I were staying in a hotel and I woke up at night, switched lamp on and saw a massive spider on the ceiling. Couldn't sleep and had to make my sister get it down. We were in another country so we hoped it wasn't poisonous! Only way she could do it was by throwing a towel to knock it down as the ceiling was so high.

When she went to check the towel, the spider was rolling around on its back like a woodlouse turned the wrong way up, waving all its legs around.

Christ, I feel sick thinking of it.

what was itr?

tethersend Sun 24-Jul-11 22:11:08

She never found out, Stealth confused

I can remember a few years ago dreaming that I had been decapitated and I was trying to put my head back on. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't get it on straight.

Dream seemed to go on forever. When I woke I had the most immense sore throat ever....that kind of freaked me out and didn't even involve creepy crawlies.

NormanTebbit Sun 24-Jul-11 22:18:52

When I was a teenager I was an avid reader of J17 and face steaming was all the rage - gets rid of acne don'cha know (yeah,right hmm)

Anyway I got out the bath, ran a sink of hot water and pulled a towel off the rail and put it over my head. There was an odd sensation of tickly, spiky prods going up my back ...it was a giant spider, I flicked it over my head and into the sink where it cooked in the hot water in front of me. Fucking J17 hmm

Ooh it's almost spider season, isn't it

DouglasPouch Sun 24-Jul-11 22:19:42

Not creepy crawly but all this talk of inhalers has reminded of a thread of here years back.

A woman had taken her inhaler and then suffered with numerous infections and strange coughing fits.

Turns out she had inhaled a bit of cadbury creme egg foil which had been wedged into her inhaler, it had been stuck to her insides for months. shock

NormanTebbit Sun 24-Jul-11 22:20:39

And friends in SA found two snails in their DS's nappy

DouglasPouch Sun 24-Jul-11 22:23:01

Ohh Norman, you have reminded me about our spider incident. When ds was a tiny he had one of those zip up suits for over his babygrow I unzipped it one morning and a huge spider ran out of!

TheBolter Sun 24-Jul-11 22:23:47

When dh and I were in our old house, pre-dcs, we had a slug infestation. the buggers were all over our kitchen particularly in the mornings - in cupboards, cereal packets, the dishwasher even... Anyway, we hadn't taken the lid off the kettle for ages, being lazy arses we used to fill it via the spout. I expect you know where this is going... one evening dh took the lid off the kettle to fill it, and there was a boiled-many-times-over slug. shock

It did explain the film we used to get on our cups of tea...

hellymelly Sun 24-Jul-11 22:30:21

We lived on an old wooden boat and there were a lot of slugs in the bilge.Once while I was cooking,a massive slug actually tried to get into the pan to eat the food!!! I was frying aubergines too....very lucky escape.
Last year my sil was visiting (we are in a house now) and I made her tea.When I picked up her mug off the table to wash it up I saw something at the bottom...She had seen it but been too polite to ask what it was.It was boiled slug.Must have been in the tap when I filled the kettle.

I've not really been in my house very long, a few months. There is an extraordinary amount of earwigs in my garden and I have not one but two unpleasant experiences.

1st one was when we decided to eat our dinner outside on the patio. DD's highchair had been out all night, it hadnt rained so we just gave it a quick wipe over and plonked her in it. Her highchair is moulded plastic with a foamy type liner that is removable. After we'd eaten our dinner I took her out and moved the liner, underneath were about 20 earwigs I think I must of shrieked for a good ten minutes and couldnt stop shuddering for the rest of the night.

2nd horrible experience was last week. I've on occasion found the odd earwig in the house. It was mid morning and I decided my hair needed washing, leant over completely clean and empty bath and started to wet my hair with shower. An earwig came out of my hair!

I havent stopped shuddering from that one... sad

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RevoltingPeasant Sun 24-Jul-11 22:43:45

ABF urgh urgh urgh

My 3rd sister got married in a very rural area of the States and when we went over for the wedding, some of her friends who were away allowed us to housesit their empty, handmade log cabin in the woods so we didn't crowd up her apartment.

Except.... they hadn't filled in any of the cracks between the logs. So the place was FULL, and I mean FULL of earwigs.

They had a special DustBuster just to vac them up. It had a clear bulb which was seething with live ones that'd been vac'd up.

They crawled on the bedsheets and dropped from the ceiling onto your face after dark.

They were in the cereal packets and clinging to the bathtowels.

On the wedding morning, I was leaning over the sink putting in my contacts when the edge of the sink pinched into the delicate skin right above minge level. Except - you guessed it - when I pulled back that pinching feeling was still there, and any enormous bloody earwig was clinging to my naked muff pincing it!

I have never been so glad to get back to civilisation the UK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now