My neighbour has asked me to pick up my cat's poo from their garden. Literally she wants to be able to call on me to come and pick it up on an as and when basis.

(694 Posts)
pingu2209 Sat 02-Jul-11 09:38:07

I have 2 cats. They have only just started going outside, about 1 month so far. I still have a litter tray at home and they do use it but they are also beginning to 'go' outside too.

My view is that cats should not be locked in doors. I had to keep them indoors for the first 6th months because I was told by the shelter that they needed their injections, be neutered and micro chipped before they could venture outside and all that wasn't done till they were 6 months old.

I keep my cats up to date with their injections and worm/flee ointment - well they are only 7 months old at the moment, but I fully intend to keep them up to date.

There are other cats in the area. The house behind mine has 2 big cats and we are in a rural area with foxes. Also, my neighbours have a dog. Nice dog, sometimes it barks but it isn't really a problem if I'm honest. I like dogs as much as cats, I'm not anti dogs or anything.

Am I legally obliged to pick up my cats poo?

I've spoken to my mother and she has told me that I should pick up my cat's poo if the neighbour asks. The thing is, I may have to go round there each day or two to do it.

Yama Sat 02-Jul-11 09:41:08

Don't know but I admire her pluck.

Your neighbour is barking. Unless she sits watching all day, how will she know that it is your cats poo ??

sparkle12mar08 Sat 02-Jul-11 09:41:35

Good for her. You own a cat, it's your responsibility not hers! I'd be chucking back over your fence or leaving it on your doorstep, frankly.

malovitt Sat 02-Jul-11 09:41:54

You are not legally obliged to do it I'm sure but it would be a nice gesture.

I'm sick of picking up stinking piles of poo from my garden which have been deposited by neighbouring cats, it makes me feel ill.

Sirzy Sat 02-Jul-11 09:42:01

I think it would be the polite thing to do. But there again I hate having to pick cat poo up from our garden as I chose not to have pets.

However, if there are other cats in the area it does seem an unfair ask unless she sees your cat do it.

20wkbaby Sat 02-Jul-11 09:42:34

I don't know about the legal aspects but if I were your neighbour and had your cats' poo in my garden I would be very annoyed. Probably wouldn't be brave enough to ask you to come and pick it up though. I don't believe cats should be inside all the time but you must see how unpleasant this is. Even it was the poo from my own cats I wouldn't like it in my garden but she has absolutely no choice in the matter. Can you not discuss with her methods of preventing them pooing in her garden in the first place?

Lulumama Sat 02-Jul-11 09:43:15

although it sounds unfeasible, I cannot abide cat poo in my garden and I wouldn't let my dog poo on anyone else's garden or leave his poo on the road.

we had a big problem with cat poo in our garden and had to fence off an area of the garden where cats kept pooing as our old dog used to eat it <boak>

so i see where she is coming from

buzzsore Sat 02-Jul-11 09:43:20

I don't think you're legally obliged, but if you know your cats are using your neighbours veg patch or something then you would do well to clear up after them, just for the sake of friendly relations. And say to your neighbours you don't mind if they use a water-pistol on the cats if they're bothering them. Pissed off neighbours can make for an unhappy life, so it's worth putting yourself out a little.

What you can do is a have a fresh bit of dug garden in a corner of your own garden to attract them to use that instead.

rulenumber1 Sat 02-Jul-11 09:44:58

I'm with your mum on this one. You chose to have the cats, why would you think it's alright for them to foul your neighbour's garden and she should have to clear up after them?

HRHMJOFMAGICJAMALAND Sat 02-Jul-11 09:45:29

Message withdrawn

lemonandhoney Sat 02-Jul-11 09:45:37

Cats are territorial, aren't they? So if she sees your cats in her garden, chances are it will be their poo next time.

My neighbour's cat (now dead) did this. It was disgusting. It stank in the summer and I couldn't let the children out until I had cleared it each day. It was incredibly antisocial - and then my neighbour objected when I told her I had bought a sonic repeller as it was cruel to the cat...

I think offering to pick it up is the civilised and right thing to do

Lulumama Sat 02-Jul-11 09:46:09

I think taking all reasonable steps to encourage your cat to poo in your garden or only in a litter tray would be a good start

HRHMJOFMAGICJAMALAND Sat 02-Jul-11 09:47:42

Message withdrawn

Riveninside Sat 02-Jul-11 09:49:18

How can she identify which poo is which cats? Dna sample them?

JollySergeantJackrum Sat 02-Jul-11 09:50:15

My neighbours' cat keeps leaving poo in our vegetable patch. The neighbour advised that I turn the hose on her. I'm not that cruel, but I am quite happy to chase her away and we use cat repellent.

I should not have to clean poo out of my vegetable patch. We have very little veg planted this year because I was pregnant and couldn't go near the veg patch because of cat poo. If my neighbours had come and cleaned it up I would have appreciated it and they would probably have received some veg for their trouble.

JollySergeantJackrum Sat 02-Jul-11 09:51:10

I know it is my neighbours' cats because I have seen them doing it.

HRHMJOFMAGICJAMALAND Sat 02-Jul-11 09:52:31

Message withdrawn

BelleDameSansMerci Sat 02-Jul-11 09:52:39

I'm a real cat lover - I have three.

I don't think she's being unreasonable actually. When my neighbour's dogs poo in my garden (they get out sometimes), she always comes and collects it. If she doesn't (because she hasn't realised or I see it before she does), I sort it because, really, it's not that big a deal!

My cats have a litter tray and come in to use it. If you have a shed, you could put a cat flap on it and put a tray in there if you don't want one in the house.

CurlyBoy Sat 02-Jul-11 09:52:51

By letting your cats out you know they will be pooping in other peoples gardens. Personally I think that is very rude. I would be seriously pissed off if I had cats dumping in MY garden. You should either pick it up or keep your cats inside. Our two cats don't go out of our garden at all and they're fine. By letting yours roam free you not only let them deposit their poo everywhere but you also leave them open to environmental toxins (like antifreeze) and traffic. I think it's highly irresponsible.

noblegiraffe Sat 02-Jul-11 09:53:40

Good for her. I would also like to ask my neighbours to remove their cats' dead birds from our garden too.

I used to like cats, but god it pisses me off that they shit all over and leave crap in my garden, when I've got a toddler to worry about picking it all up.

purepurple Sat 02-Jul-11 09:53:59

Love your neighbour's style.
Your cat, your responsibility.
"*The thing is, I may have to go round there each day or two to do it*"
How inconvenient for you. But it's ok for you to expect your neighbour to do it? hmm

Pumpster Sat 02-Jul-11 09:56:13

Curly how do you keep them in your garden?

scottishmummy Sat 02-Jul-11 09:56:55

neighbour is right,admire her pluckiness

fivegomadindorset Sat 02-Jul-11 09:57:57

I am with her I am afraid.

giraffesCantZumba Sat 02-Jul-11 09:59:31

Agree with purepurple.

Anyway you are lucky she is not just chucking it back over the fence.

I assume if they have only been out a month then this has only started happening and so she fairly certain it is your cats.

HelloKlitty Sat 02-Jul-11 10:00:09

I have two cats....we have their tray outside and if they crapped in my neighbours garden I would of course go and collect it.

buzzsore Sat 02-Jul-11 10:00:15

Yes, curious to know how Curly keeps her cats in her garden too? smile

I also like the ideas about giving the neighbour cat repellents.

andthisisme Sat 02-Jul-11 10:01:57

Of course you should pick it up. You wouldn't even ask if it were a dog would you? But poo is poo. Your pet, your responsibility.

Inertia Sat 02-Jul-11 10:02:35

I agree with your neighbour.

If you don't like the inconvenience of clearing up after your pet, don't have a pet.

Say you will do that if she can ensure you are never disturbed by her dog barking. And when she looks furious, point out that owning a pet does mean that the neighbours have to exercise a degree of forbearance.

Good on your neighbour

Kveta Sat 02-Jul-11 10:05:01

good for her! wish my neighbours weren't so weird, I'd be round there like a shot! I'm sick of the cat shit in our garden every day, and the fact that no repellant seems to work. Even shouting at the buggers is useless, and water pistol not effective any more.

ViolaTricolor Sat 02-Jul-11 10:06:10

Time to buy some marigolds.

I hate the fact we can't put a blanket down in our own garden without first inspecting for crap from our neighbours' pets.

bubblesincoffee Sat 02-Jul-11 10:06:14

You know that it is likely to be your cats poo if they have just started going out and and all of a sudden there is lots of poo in her garden.

There is no point having the argument about there being other cats in the area, can't prove whose cats did it etc etc.

You chose to have cats, and if you believe so strongly that they should be let out then you have to deal with the consequenses of that. They are your peta, and it your responsibility to ensure that they don't piss other people off.

Get yourself round there to pick up poo every couple of days. She has asked you to do it, so don't be rude and put her in the position of having to keep asking.

If you don't want to do it, get rid of your cats.

You should also give her a squirt gun and repellants with instructions to use them.

iloveblue Sat 02-Jul-11 10:06:53

DS1 sat on the grass in our garden yesterday and stood up covered in cat poo. Both our neighbours have cats - and it is a pain in the bum.
So I do kind of agree with her.

But realistically I'm not sure how it would work.
I agree with others, is there anyway you could encourage them to poo in your garden?
Maybe put their litter tray outside when they're out.

CurlyBoy Sat 02-Jul-11 10:22:41

Pumpster We have a high fence with no gaps and they don't jump.

Agree with your neighbour I'm afraid. I'm another who has to pick up the neighbours cats poo and it's not pleasant. Squirt guns etc don't work - the cats just keep coming back and it also assumes you catch them at it as well - I'm not in my garden 24-7 so will miss them sometimes.

Pick it up and buy her some cat repellent spray. Put up rubber spikes on your fences to stop them leaving your garden.

bumpyboo Sat 02-Jul-11 10:27:11

KVETA

You need to add a couple of large crushed garlic cloves to the water, it will be vile trust me. Then fill your squirt gun and fire away, I have found this very effective.

jubilee10 Sat 02-Jul-11 10:29:55

Ah, we just pick up the neighbours cat poo ourselves - and chuck it over their fence as near to their doorstep as poss.

Your cats - pick it up!

Of course there's no legal obligation to do anything about it! smile

Cats, unlike dogs, are considered their own beings and may roam freely. A cat cannot trespass whereas effectively a dog can as he is considered to be under human control.

I'd take the attitude that I would clear up if asked politely but at my convenience. That doesn't mean next week but neither does it mean when I've just sat down to dinner or am on my way to catch a train.

Someone upthread mentioned the neighbour's dog barking and the need for a little mutual tolerance, which is a very fair point. We have a legal right to own cats, thank god and they have a right to roam.

Point to remember - if we didn't own them they'd be roaming anyway only as ferals and being without care and spaying/neutering would be producing far more cats and far more shit!

PeopleCallMeTricky Sat 02-Jul-11 10:31:44

I offered to pick up my cat's poo from my neighbour's garden when she complained about the poo, but she declined for some reason. I quite agree with her though, it's very annoying.

PrettyMeerkat Sat 02-Jul-11 10:33:01

Can't believe it's another cat poo thread!

There is no way that she can know (unless she's watching 24/7) that the poo belongs to your cats. Personally I wouldn't want to be picking up the poo of every cat in the neighbourhood.

What you can do, is take some of the litter from your cats toilet tray after they have used it so nice and smelly, and poke if through her letterbox . . . no not really! What you can do is chose an area in your garden (away from the house with soft earth) and sprinkle it. Then take your cats and put them on it so that they smell their own wee/poo. Hopefully then they will start using that area as their toilet.

LiegeAndLief Sat 02-Jul-11 10:36:32

I'm with your neighbours. We have three cat-containing gardens backing onto ours and they are constantly in our garden. I hate it. And we used to get loads of birds coming to the feeder and now there are none. If it's unreasonable to expect you to pick up your own cats' poo every other day, surely it's extremely unreasonable to expect your neighbour to do the same? You might feel a bit differently if her dog was crapping in your garden every day..

If anyone has any reliable tips to keep cats out of your garden, I would love to hear them. Water gun no good as they run off as soon as they see me coming, plus I'm out quite a lot (and my aim is shocking).

Water gun has clearly worked to some degree hasn't it, Liege, if the cats run as soon as they see you?

misty0 Sat 02-Jul-11 10:44:38

I have 2 posh puss' which stay in our garden, litter tray in the house grin

Our fence isnt high, but we have put up quite sturdy black metal 'L' brakcets at intervals all around the top line of the fence which stick into the garden horizontaly by about a foot. Then fixed fine black plastic mesh (almost invisible) to lay taught accross the brackets and down on the inside of the fence a little way, pinned down so the cats cant jump up and over the fence, or get behind the mesh. They've tried - but its working, they jump up and their heads reach the mesh and they drop down again. They tried for a day or two but dont bother ever trying now. Total cost - £50 and a few hammered thumbs, but worth it.

michelleseashell Sat 02-Jul-11 10:44:56

I'd tell her to shit off.

How does she know who's poo is who? Is she going around identifying and picking up her own dog's poo but then leaving suspected cat poo for you to do? She sounds like a real nutbag. Besides, once your cats start roaming further they'll poo as far from their own doorstep as they can. What can you do about faraway poo?

CheerMum Sat 02-Jul-11 10:49:44

we live in a neighbourhood where there are LOADS of cats, and none of the owners ever offered to clear up their cat's poop. So, I bought two big water guns and kept one by the front window and one by the back. EVERY time i saw a cat, whether it was pooing or simply walking around, i blasted water at them.

I did it relentlessly for a few weeks and they stopped coming.

pingu2209 Sat 02-Jul-11 10:55:55

I do see the logic behind: 'they are your pet so you clean up after them.'

I guess I am questioning for a number of reasons, which I realise do not challenge the above logic.

1. We moved here 2 years ago, before that we lived for 13 years in a new housing estate full of young children and cats. Cats were always in everyone's gardens and it never occurred to us that anyone would ask us to pick up the poo from their garden - possibly because it could be anybody's cat, there were so many of them.

2. We have a lovely garden but are not keen gardeners so other than the odd tidy, we are not too worried - but the neighbours now are keen gardeners. When we lived in the new housing estate, most gardens were postage stamp sized and people were not especially garden proud.

3. I actually owned cats over the years, even though I do like dogs too, because I don't want the additional hassle and responsibility of a dog - such as having to walk it, be around at home more for it, and pick up its poo when we go on walks. I have always assumed that nobody picks up cat poo. This is the first time I have had any issues with cat ownership.

4. Our neighbours have over the past 2 years spoken to us with a tone along the lines of, we are better than you. There is a lot of snootyness from their side. I have even had the women say to me "oh, you have a Masters?! I thought you would have left school at 16." We have ignored it so far as I can't be bothered to bite. However, this issue I can't ignore. She will be round asking me to pick up poo. I feel this is yet another way to look down upon me and I'm not sure I want to do this anyway (see point 3)

Good for her. You went out and bought the cat, therefore your responsibility to clear up after it. If you can't do that then don't have them. Very very selfish of some posters to think that just because they chose to have an animal that everyone else should put up with it.

campingshop Sat 02-Jul-11 11:02:53

In that case pingu it sounds like you dislike your neighbour and are happy to be the cause of something unpleasant happening in her garden. She might not be a neighbour that you care for very much but I think that you would like to see her unhappy.

TheFeministsWife Sat 02-Jul-11 11:07:08

I sympathise with your neighbour. I fucking sick of cleaning up cat shit from my garden only to find more as I've cleaned the first lot up. Nice when they shit all over the kids bloody slide! angry I have to go out and inspect the garden every morning before the kids can go out and play just make sure there's none there. I bloody hate cats, horrible things. I think cat owners should be made to pick up there cat's shit. Why should I someone who bloody hates the damn things have clean my garden of poo every goddam morning just because one of my neighbours (I have no idea which one or I'd be round there like a shot) has a bloody cat?

LiegeAndLief Sat 02-Jul-11 11:14:54

Dogsbestfriend, running when they see me coming is a good start, but unfortunately it doesn't stop them coming into the garden when they can't see me. I actually have to get as far as opening the back door before they scarper, which means I'd be up and down like a yoyo all day. Maybe I should try doing it relentlessly for a week like CheerMum and see what happened.

""oh, you have a Masters?! I thought you would have left school at 16."

In that case, sod the woman, let the cats shit in her garden and don't you DARE even dream of picking it up. In fact, adopt another few cats and send them into the rude, snotty fecker's garden too!

pingu2209 Sat 02-Jul-11 11:29:01

No really I don't want to fall out with them at all.

I just think that a lot of people have cats because they don't want the responsibility of a dog, which includes cleaning up their poo, which you are legally obliged to do if you own a dog.

The woman in question is very 'difficult'. She asked me last summer if I could stop my children from making so much noise in the afternoon as she likes to sit out in her garden for some peace. I said that time that I would ask them to quieten down but they also wanted to play out in their garden.

Another time my ds1 had had a massive tantrum and I was aware that it was a bad one. I went round and said I was sorry for the noise of his tantrum and explained that he had SN and his severe language disorder meant he had tantrums over very small issues and general frustration at not being able to speak well etc. Since then she has always pointed out to me, even days later, after ds1 had a tantrum. I feel it is a passive agressive way of having a go.

I had a near accident about 3 months ago when I was reversing out of my drive onto the road. The wheelie bins (hers) were in the way so I couldn't see as well as normally. She was standing across on the other side of the street. I reversed slowly due to poor vision but even so, I nearly hit a car coming along the road. I say nearly, I didn't actually hit it, it was a non incident that I hadn't thought twice about. She felt that it was necessary to tell my husband about the incident, but didn't mention her wheelie bins! Again I believe this is just another way to be passive agressive.

DontGoCurly Sat 02-Jul-11 11:29:36

I agree with the neighbour about the catpoo but she sounds like a nasty piece of work for her comment about your education.

scottishmummy Sat 02-Jul-11 11:31:03

youre digressing.your cat shits in her garden
an unrelated spat about education isnt relevant.at all

ChessPiece Sat 02-Jul-11 11:36:30

Ask her if you can buy her this cat repeller and give her some money to buy replacement batteries for it - then you won't have to go round to clear up your animal's poo.

HellAtWork Sat 02-Jul-11 11:39:32

Ah well Pingu what time is convenient for you to do cat poo duty? I'd just pick a time you know you can definitely do each day and arrive nappysack/catpoo bag in hand and one of those handgrabby things and get on with it - however - I don't think you should wait to be 'summoned' by this woman because I think that if you didn't have such a problem with her personally you wouldn't feel she was requesting it so she could look down on you so make sure it's at your convenience. Also I'd google fox poo and make sure you know which is which so you only pick up what is yours to pick up! Poo pettiness I know but you're not the hired poo help.

Catslikehats Sat 02-Jul-11 11:40:30

I can't see that it matters if your neighbour is an axe wielding pscho. Your cat shits in her garden. That is grim. Take some responsibility and clear it up. If you don't want the bother of doing so get rid of your cat.

nokissymum Sat 02-Jul-11 11:42:44

Yes it is your responsibility to pick up your cats poo. Im in similar situation to you neighbour, i clear up their cats poo every week, i dont own any animals and neighbours opposite my house own a cat, they've even laughed about it, i wish i had the courage your neighbour has.

PrettyMeerkat Sat 02-Jul-11 11:44:39

The only time I have ever heard of someone picking up their cats poo is on here. Not convinced it every actually happens in real life.

TheFeministsWife I was wondering when you would turn up with your slide story! I was thinking about it earlier. Cats don't poo on cold surfaces (although they may occassionally wee on a cold floor for example if they have cystitis as the cold is relieving to them). So I suspect that the poo was thrown from another garden and landed on your slide. A cat just wouldn't do that except perhaps if it had dementia.

PrettyMeerkat Sat 02-Jul-11 11:46:29

Your neighbour sounds horrible actually. She is just using this to get at you and bring you down to the level she sees fit (shovelling shit).

Sirzy Sat 02-Jul-11 11:47:48

Why is it horrible not to want other peoples cat shit in her garden and to expect the owner to take a level of responsibility for there own pet?

Irksome Sat 02-Jul-11 11:47:59

Yes you should pick it up, even if she is a horrid woman, but in my experience pet owners never see it that way.

It's your cat and it's your cat's shit and she should not have to deal with it.

Can't believe the attitude that allows you to think it's ok to make other people scoop up your animals shit.

lateSeptember1964 Sat 02-Jul-11 11:48:36

Everything aside the cat is pooing all over her garden. I choose not to have pets but still had to clear up someone elses cats mess every morning before I could let my children play in the garden. Take responsibility and clean up the mess

scottishmummy Sat 02-Jul-11 11:49:18

oh boo bleeding hoo.what a digression an unrelated spat about education and suddenly op id out upon.her cat craps in neighbour garden and no additional details about wheelie bins or education is required

and aye if its her cat she shuvels its shit. shuvels it right into a bin

Katisha Sat 02-Jul-11 11:54:35

While I sympathise that the neighbour sounds an unpleasant piece of work, I struggle with your assertion that you got cats because you didn't want the responsibility of dogs, which includes poo management, and the assumption that free-range cat poo is aceptable to all.

I speak as one who regularly has to get cat poo off DSs shoes just as we are leaving for school as the effing cat over the road regards our gravel as cat litter. It also has a regular route through our back garden. I am not here in the day to lie in wait for it with a water pistol.

Why should the neighbours choice of pet mean poo all over our garden?

strandedbear Sat 02-Jul-11 11:55:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

The comment that people have cats because they don't want the responsibility of a dog including picking up poo is what makes me cross. Your animal, it's poo, your responsibility.

Katisha Sat 02-Jul-11 11:58:26

I would add that if you do start clearing the poo, you should at least not take any more verbal crap from her, snide remarks and so forth. Stand up for yourself on those. But I don't think you have much of a leg to stand on with the cat.

My mum nearly sent me into labour when she shouted at a cat that dared to tread on her drive. The neighbours think she's mad because she runs out and chases them off her garden but then she loves birds and has nest boxes for them. She's sick of the number of times she's had to get rid of dead babies because the cats have got the parents sad. And the shit! It's everywhere. Totally gross.

All cat owners should be like misty0. Your pet, you stop it going into someone's garden and if you can't, then you clean the crap up.

PrettyMeerkat Sat 02-Jul-11 12:01:36

Sirzy Read the OPs last couple of posts.

OP I think you should try what I suggested a while back about making a toilet in your own garden. You do it but sprinkling an area of soft earth (turn it over if neccessary) with their used cat litter. They are young enough that they might go with it.

Alternatively I would pay someone else to pick up the poo from her garden on a weekly basis. I feel that she is trying to degrade you by getting you to do it so I wouldn't give her the opportunity.

PrettyMeerkat Sat 02-Jul-11 12:03:06

The idea that it's your cat so you should clean up the cat poo is idealistic. Cats can roam for huge distances!

Punkatheart Sat 02-Jul-11 12:04:22

Buy her some cat repellant and spray it around her garden for her. Then she may not have any poo at all.

Legally no she cannot force you - what will they do, forensics on it!

EdwardorEricCantDecide Sat 02-Jul-11 12:05:41

can i recommend white ground pepper (and lots of it) scatter it over your garden/patio/stones i have done this (only at the beginnining of the week admittedly) but no more cat poo so far.

i have already tried water it didn't work.

after a while its easy to tell which cat it is as someone said earlier they are territorial, there are about 6 or 7 cats in my estate (none of them mine!) but i know which one it is using my garden as the rest don't seem to bother with our garden. we get a couple on the driveway but never in the garden as i think the other cats see it as that cats territory.

i agree with the neighbour though, why should someone who has chosen not to have pets still have to clean up after someone elses.
there is also the risk of toxoplasmosis from cat poo, i hate the fact that i need to go out and check all over my garden before letting DS out to play in it!

Katisha Sat 02-Jul-11 12:05:51

If you have a cat repellant that actually works I am dying to know what it is...

CurlyBoy Sat 02-Jul-11 12:09:32

Pingu, it sounds like you got cats simply so you don't have to take legal responsibility for cleaning up after it. How about it's down right rude! If I was your neighbour I'd get an elephant. They are allowed to roam free to and then you might see how horrible it is to have someones animal shit in your garden!

I love cats (as I said, I have 2 that stay in) but I would be absolutely horrible to yours until they stayed out of my garden. You are a bad neighbour and you are just asking to have your cats treated poorly.

Lovecat Sat 02-Jul-11 12:11:11

I've said this before on these sorts of threads...

Where the hell are all these cats coming from who don't know/haven't learnt how to poo properly as kittens?

I have NEVER (and I'm going to be 45 next week, from an early age have had cats as pets pretty much continuously, so have had quite a few) had a cat that did not go out into the garden, select a spot at the back of a border, dig a hole, squat, poo, then bury their poo afterwards, covering it up again.

I'm not denying anyone's experience of finding cat poo in their lawn, which I agree, is absolutely revolting, but I'm really confused that there seem to be so many cats out there that don't 'get' the hole-digging/covering up afterwards thing. Are they taken away from their mums too early to learn about it? Why is this such an issue these days?

God I sound old... "ooh, cats in my day knew how to poo properly..."

We're currently waiting to get new kittens and I'm actually quite worried that they won't know how to dig their holes and our neighbours will hate us (actually our neighbours on 4 sides have concreted/patioed their entire gardens, so I suspect we already get everyone else's cat poo)!

springbokscantjump Sat 02-Jul-11 12:13:35

I'm pretty astounded that you openly state that you didn't get a dog because you didn't want to clear up shit, but you are perfectly happy to make someone else clear up your pet's shit.

I have to say I have never ever seen cat poo on my lawn, now or when I was growing up. Sure in the beds but never just on the lawn. I thought cats prefered to bury their crap?

PrettyMeerkat Sat 02-Jul-11 12:14:17

I don't understand that either Lovecat

noblegiraffe Sat 02-Jul-11 12:18:08

We have woodchip down in our garden so cats shit, scrabble a bit of woodchip over it and just leave it where our toddler could easily get at it.

Not sure I would be happy about cats digging holes in my flowerbeds either.

TrilllianAstra Sat 02-Jul-11 12:21:16

Nobody picks up cat poo.

ANd I agree with springboks - cats normally bury their poo.

nokissymum Sat 02-Jul-11 12:23:09

Punka - wonderful attitude!

nokissymum Sat 02-Jul-11 12:25:52

Trillian - " nobodypicks up cat poo" dont you think its about time they do ?

"catsbury their poo"

Indeed! So all of us picking up cat poo every week are making it up then .

lockets Sat 02-Jul-11 12:27:29

I always thought they buried it too, we get both, they like our gravel and they bury it in the veg plots, both are gross but at least you see it before you get it on your hands on the gravel

Agree with Lovecat. I'm astonished by all these cats pooing everywhere. And on a slide? How do they keep their balance?!

lockets Sat 02-Jul-11 12:29:17

M0naLisa Sat 02-Jul-11 12:32:18

if her dog shat in your garden would you expect her to pick it up?

onagar Sat 02-Jul-11 12:34:33

Not legally required - though I suppose if someone ever took it that far they might sue you and win.

Morally.. you have to ask yourself what you thought when you got the cats. You must have known that your neighbour was going to have shit in her garden because of your decision. How did that make you feel? did you just not care?

thingsabeachanging Sat 02-Jul-11 12:34:33

From what you are saying you neighbours are garden proud. So it is reasonable they dont want cat crap all over it.

If you decide to own an animal, let alone 2, certain responsibilities come with that. Feeding, cleaning, vet treatment, vaccinations and yes! Cleaning up poo!

I love animals but choose not to own any as i dont want some of those responsibilities or costs mentioned above.

Some people are ok with cleaning it themselves. Others arent.

Your cats therefore your cat crap! Pick it up! Or buy your neighbours a cat repeller!

And it's more than just the grossness of treading in it, getting it on your hands, etc. My ds was seriously ill for 2 months after contracting toxoplasmosis last year. I thought I was going to lose him at one point. Cat shit is grim and dangerous.

ggirl Sat 02-Jul-11 12:39:46

OP i think your attitude stinks.
Pick up your pets shit and buy neighbour a cat repellant.
Or teach your cat to poo in the toilet.

pingu2209 Sat 02-Jul-11 12:42:14

There must be a REASON that it is law to clean up dog poo but not cat poo. Why is there a difference in law?

One is easier to enforce than the other.

ggirl Sat 02-Jul-11 12:46:28

there should be a law about cat shit as well
but cats are harder to govern because they are not on a lead
but it's not rocket science to know what cat is shitting in your garden..unless you're blind

LordOfTheFlies Sat 02-Jul-11 12:49:31

Cats by law are classed differently to dogs.
If a cat is run over the driver has no legal obligation to report it. If they don't they could in theory be charged with animal cruelty if injured. But a dead cat can just be left. Unlike a dog.

The upshot of this is they have no responsibilty, nor do the owners.

I had a cat, she would poo and bury in her own garden, but in other gardens they leave it as territory markers.
I have no qualms about the water drenching. I have done it to other cats who used to bully mine when she got old. If someone did it to her, fair enough.
OP YANBU

EdwardorEricCantDecide Sat 02-Jul-11 12:52:03

i think the difference in law is purely down to the fact that its a lot more difficult to police cats than dogs as dogs aren't allowed out on their own whereas cats are and for long preiods of time sometimes so impossible to see which cat left the mess or who owns it/where its from.

i think its right that cats at least attempt to bury their poo i have chipping stones up the side of my house and garden, they cost me a fortune when i moved in and are very light in colour, the offending cat constantly poos on the stones then digs them this makes the grey sand foundations of the chips visible which isn't nice anyway but the poo just sits nicely on top so not only do i have to pick up the damn poo but rearrange and lay my stones every other day.

strandedbear Sat 02-Jul-11 12:53:17

superjobeespecs Sat 02-Jul-11 13:05:13

how does she know its your cat? she sounds a bitch i'd shit in her garden myself grin im a moody cow today i promise i wouldnt really shit in someones garden hmm

MrsOnTheMove Sat 02-Jul-11 13:09:51

strandedbear can you use cayenne pepper on pathways as well - we have recently moved into a property and have found three cats using our garden as a loo.

This morning one of them walked into the garden and was sick everywhere hmm we don't have any pets, but do have young children - I'll try anything to discourage them.

lockets Sat 02-Jul-11 13:12:12

michelleseashell Sat 02-Jul-11 13:12:30

Is your neighbour Mrs Bourne?

pingu2209 Sat 02-Jul-11 13:22:05

Well, I know for a fact that I won't do it, so I will let you know what happens when she starts asking again. My husband has said that if she comes round asking and he answers the door he will tell her, 'no unless she is prepared to stop her dog barking, ever'.

lockets Sat 02-Jul-11 13:23:39

Well, you can probably expect to have it thrown back over the fence then. I think that would be perfectly reasonable.

hocuspontas Sat 02-Jul-11 13:34:34

You sound like lovely neighbours.... hmm

As for the barking analogy, that is, well, just barking.

lockets Sat 02-Jul-11 13:37:31

Ganshee Sat 02-Jul-11 13:45:10

Hmm

The easiest and most amicable solution for both you and your neighbour would be to decline to pick up the faeces (as it might not be your cats) but buy him/her a Scarecrow Cat which will prevent cats from pooing in their garden.

http://www.deteracat.co.uk/scarecrow_water_jet_pack.htm

Happy faces all round.

ragged Sat 02-Jul-11 13:50:44

I'd be going mental if I regularly found someone else's cat turds in my garden, buried or not.

Irksome Sat 02-Jul-11 13:52:01

You're a lazy selfish cow then, and I hope she flings it over your fence and leaves poison out for your cat.

They don't always bury it - we used regularly to get cat shit on the flowerbeds in the last house, and it stinks and it's vile.

I look forward to hearing that your kids have had cat poo thrown at their heads while they play in the garden, and that you haven't seen your cat in days, now you think of it.....

SarahLundsredJumper Sat 02-Jul-11 14:00:38

Catpoo that is out on the lawn is usually fox or hedgehog poo! Cats are very fastidious about burying it.
My cats are very "regular" and they dont get let out in the garden until they have done their business in the litter trayblush

rookiemater Sat 02-Jul-11 14:05:07

Good for your neighbour well done her.

We get cat poo in our garden, why the hell should I have to worry about the neighbourhood children playing in our garden with DS in case they come across cat poo. Even worse when one of the boys whose family has a cat who I know poos in our garden goes "Ooh poo in the garden gross". My sentiments exactly. Why should I have to put on gloves and pick up another person's cats poo when I don't get any of the enjoyment of cat ownership. I think your neighbours suggestion is imminently reasonable and I cannot believe that you think she is in the wrong.

strandedbear Sat 02-Jul-11 14:08:21

SeymoreButts Sat 02-Jul-11 14:10:19

We have just moved and our new garden was a bit overgrown and neglected. All of the flower beds are filled with buried and fresh cat poo. I have filled 4 bin bags with it so far and there's still loads left. I pick up at least one fresh cat poo every day. At the moment my DCs can't play on the grass because I'm not keen on deliberately exposing them to toxoplasmosis!

If she's actually seen your cats pooing in her garden, I don't think it is unreasonable of her to ask you to clean up after it. I wouldn't be brave enough to do it though, I would probably just dump it over the fence.

somethingwitty82 Sat 02-Jul-11 14:11:55

I thought the reason was because dog poo made children blind? or is that a myth (like white dog poo)

I cant believe the cat poo obsession on here smile

I have 2 cats and have never given it a second thought, i certainly would never pick up a semi wild animals poo! Any more than I would a birds.

Neighbour sounds like a pain re kids making noise, I would demand a DNA test Jezza Kyle stylee to prove it was your cat, then I would curl one out on her lawn to give her a sense of perspectivewink

"I hope she.... leaves poison out for your cat."

Irksome, what an appropriate name. Your attitude is shameful, what a very unpleasant person you must be.

onebigchocolatemess Sat 02-Jul-11 14:16:52

cats do not always bury their poo. 4 of our neighbours have cats and at least two of them have not been properly trained to use a litter tray and have designated a corner of my garden as cat poo corner

I get sick and tired of looking for it, picking it up, smelling the piss they spray to mark their territory. If she had the balls to ask then good on her I say.

I have no idea who owns which cat but if I ever found out (outside of following one home) I would definately speak to the owner about it.

you bought the animal, so take responsibility. Its a domesticated pet, so you're the one who has to take control

somethingwitty, both cats AND dogs can transmit toxoplasmosis, which is zoonotic. The likelihood of it is extremely rare however as most people (arguably those who aren't obseesive clean-freaks/have OCD PFB parents) build up a natural immunity to it.

I'd imagine that this is the case with my teenagers and I. A cat and dog owner myself, my DC were brought up with them from birth, I handled litter trays/poop scooped throughout two pregnancies and we are all fine.

said Sat 02-Jul-11 14:20:12

"There must be a REASON that it is law to clean up dog poo but not cat poo. Why is there a difference in law?" It's irrelevent. Your neighbour sounds like a cow but I still hope she throws it back over you wall because you don't sound particularly nice either, really.

Catslikehats Sat 02-Jul-11 14:21:52

Pingu in that case I'd prepare yourself for a doorstep covered in shit every morning.

Can I just say that I am the antithesis to an cleanfreak OCD mum to PFB. I'm the type of mum who positively encourages the kids to get mucky and play outside. It's why God invented washing machines and baths. My ds still managed to get toxoplasmosis, so while it is rare, it's not just the freaks that get it.

superjobeespecs Sat 02-Jul-11 14:24:00

the fact she's a judgemental harpy is a pretty good reason IMO the way she's spoken to the OP is cruel and unnecessary. i wouldnt stick it if it had happened to me.

superjobeespecs Sat 02-Jul-11 14:26:28

not for asking her to clean up the poop no, but how does she know its her cats poop? does she dna test it? does she have cctv to prove its her cats shit? no? well then she's a bitch who borderline bullies her neighbour and is taking the piss with this ask just to see what OP will do.

spout Sat 02-Jul-11 14:26:31

If I'd asked politely once and got ignored the way you selfishly intend on doing, I'd definitely chuck the turds back in your garden.

Sorry Gilbonzo. smile

I did say that incidents of the condition as a result of cat/dog faeces are very rare and ARGUABLY the result of clean-freakishness though!

GreenEyesandHam Sat 02-Jul-11 14:41:11

If the neighbour was forthright enough to ask you to come and pick it up, I doubt she's going to let it rest tbh.

I second the cayenne pepper thing for anyone else suffering with cats shitting on lawns etc (my neighbours cat obviously was never tonight too poo properly, as I have seen the thing lay one out then stroll off. No digging). It does work.

Waspie Sat 02-Jul-11 14:47:58

If I'd asked politely once and got ignored the way you selfishly intend on doing, I'd definitely chuck the turds back in your garden

Agreed. What a very selfish and unpleasant person you sound OP.

The idea of getting a cat rather than a dog in order that other people will have to clear up after it rather than you taking responsibility for your pet is repulsive.

33goingon64 Sat 02-Jul-11 15:00:16

Dog and fox poo are quite different to cat poo. A cat poos in our garden and it stinks.

lockets Sat 02-Jul-11 15:00:19

OracleInaCoracle Sat 02-Jul-11 15:02:25

op, your attitude stinks. I agree with SM that your neighbours behaviour has nothing to do with this. complain about the dog barking all you like, but its not comparable to your cat shitting in her garden, honestly, why have you had a pet if you dont want the hassle or responsibility of clearing up after it? you say cat poo doesnt need cleaning up, it bloody well does! I hope that she does take the route of flinging it over your garden. either that, or lets her dog into your garden to shit. see how you like it.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 02-Jul-11 15:03:24

Has anyone mentioned cats have a legal right to roam? And I don't think any other domesticated animal does.

When we moved in the garden was full of cat poo, I just cleaned it up because on the grand scale if icky things women are expected to do just because we are born with a fanjo, clearing up cat mess ranks quite low imo.

Now we have a cat he wees in our garden but doesn't poo. He has a tray but likes the breeze on his bottom iykwim. Only suicidal cats enter our garden now.

You could try keeping them in overnight, and as late as poss after breakfast. They're like us when it comes to toileting.

You could also buy cat repellant pellets for her to use on her garden.

She sounds mad btw. And some of the other posters are just vitriolic no constructive advice just clearly cat haters.

EdwardorEricCantDecide Sat 02-Jul-11 15:05:22

no the dog barking may be annoying but is definitely not the same thing

its not barking in YOUR living room although you may hearit it doesn't smell and you can't catch disease or infection from it, it doesn't cost you any extra either!

you're attitude stinks and TBH i wouldn't blame her if she posted it through your letterbox rather than throwing over your fence!

thereisalightanditnevergoesout Sat 02-Jul-11 15:08:01

If she sees that it's your cats, then she might have a point, but I think it takes a long time for cats to gain a territory and as yours are so young I doubt they would have 'earned' a large territory without lots of fighting with neighbouring cats. I would suspect that she was trying to get me to clear up other people's cat's poo, too, which wouldn't make me happy.

CurlyBoy By letting your cats out you know they will be pooping in other peoples gardens. Personally I think that is very rude. Not always - my cat was out until 1.30am this morning. He came straight in and did a great big poo in his litter tray grin. I really don't know why he can't/won't do them in our garden. We often find cat poos in our garden - and DH grumbles, but from the amount of poos he does in the litter tray, I suspect they are from someone else's cat. I never see them do it, though.

unpa1dcar3r Sat 02-Jul-11 15:09:49

Cats bury their poo. Does she want you to dig it up first?
Cats do go out and they will poo anywhere where there is dirt for them to bury it. Tell the silly sad cow to get over herself.
Gosh i wish I had her problems!

OracleInaCoracle Sat 02-Jul-11 15:14:00

but fluffycloud, having the right to roam doesnt give cat owners the right to refuse to pick up their mess. I dont particularly like cats, I have a dog, but I dont hate them. what I do hate is irresponsible animal owners allowing their pets to defecate on my property. my dog barks, my neighbours cat meows loudly. I clean up my dogs mess from our back garden (he doesnt poo on walks) and my neighbour has trained her cats to use a litter tray.

have an animal, deal with the mess yourself, dont expect everyone else to do it for you

lockets Sat 02-Jul-11 15:15:18

OracleInaCoracle Sat 02-Jul-11 15:15:37

oh, and not all cats bury their poo. the one who used to come into our garden and shit at the bottom of ds's slide certainly didnt.

OracleInaCoracle Sat 02-Jul-11 15:16:17

"lockets Sat 02-Jul-11 15:15:18
Cats DO NOT all bury their poo, our flowerbeds are testament to that.

why should I have to pick up cat's shit when I don't choose to have a cat whilst my cat owning neighbour chooses to have a cat and doesn't have to pick up shit?

Do cat owners think it is reasonable to let their neighbours pick up shit then?"

yep

paisleyII Sat 02-Jul-11 15:19:08

cat poo stinks, good for her in asking you to do it. generally a cat will poo in the same garden as it chooses its own territory, we have a ginger tom who has laid claim to our gdn, it always poos in the same spot too, really stinks

strawberryjelly Sat 02-Jul-11 15:20:37

why should cat poo be any different to dog poo?

I really do not get cat owners.

They get a pet which roams constantly, craps in other people's gardens and then they get all uppity if someone objects.

Between my 3 neighbours they have 7 cats. This year I have not grown any veg in my raised bed due to cats pooing in it despite covering with netting etc etc.

I actually hate cats now. They are pointless pets.

depob Sat 02-Jul-11 15:29:35

My dog (unknown to me) took to wandering up our lane and crapping outside neighbours garage. Neighbour said nothing to me but put the dog poo in my letterbox! If only she'd just let me know I would have apologised, cleared it up and tried to ensure it didn't happen again...which is what you should do.

Thingiebob Sat 02-Jul-11 15:32:13

If you neighbour sees YOUR cats defecating in HER garden, then she has every right to come round and get you to deal with THEIR shit!

This makes me so fucking angry that cat owners think it is ok for their pets to go into someone elses garden and crap all over their vegetable plots/flower beds/kids toys/safe spaces for kids to play in whilst their garden remains clean.

Using the excuse 'how can she know it is my cat?' is ridiculous! She obviously sees your cat in her garden and the resulting mess it makes. There will be times when you can't guarantee which cats bum is responsible but when you can then I think it is perfectly reasonable for your neighbour to come round and ask you to deal with it.

You need to train your cat to do it in a particular place or stop them from going in other people's garden. Buy a deterrent for the neigbours garden.

Rockerchic Sat 02-Jul-11 15:32:44

It your cat and its your cats shit,so good on her for telling you to pick it up!

pingu2209 Sat 02-Jul-11 15:36:02

I want to just let you know, I have a litter tray, which theyuse, and lock my cats in at night. I am not encouraging them to go to anyone's gardens. I wouldn't mind at all if it was just their own garden they go in. However, cats roam around. I would be surprised that they would go into the neighbour's garden much as they have a dog.

Rockerchic Sat 02-Jul-11 15:41:01

You may have a litter tray but they are still shitting in next doors garden,so whats your point? I have dogs and they shit in my garden,but if we go out I have bags with me to clean up after MY pets,just like you have to. So pick your cat shat up and stop whinging.

Thingiebob Sat 02-Jul-11 15:44:56

Maybe I was a bit harsh - sorry. I have a beautiful garden which is used as a toilet by next doors cats and a curious 18 month old.

If your neighbour sees your cat going in and doing it then yes I think you should go round to deal with it. However, if there is no evidence that it is your cat then I can see your reason for refusing.

If this women is simply being a bully then perhaps you need to be the mature one and tell her that there are other cats around who maybe pooing in her garden, is she going to go round to all the neighbours with cats and ask them the same thing? Recomend a cat deterrent but if she does have a dog then surely letting it run round the garden would scare off the cats?

Why don't you train your cat to use the loo like a human, then they will do all their poos in the loo instead. She may obviously charge you for loo paper if the pop over to hers for a plop though wink

Emandwilliam Sat 02-Jul-11 15:53:51

Why don't you buy your neighbour some coleus canian plants, cats hate the smell and tend to steer clear (we have some in our garden). They only cost about £1.50. It's unrealistic to ask you every time to go poo pick, but least your trying do something for her which may keep her quiet!

PrettyMeerkat Sat 02-Jul-11 15:59:56

Every time someone starts a cat poo thread on here you get EXACTLY the same responses from EXACTLY the same people, and at least one person will mention poisoning your cat. Fucking mental!

Rockerchic Sat 02-Jul-11 16:03:24

Poisoning your cat,how fucking evil is that statement?
Your cat shits,so does my dog,I clean it up it does not warrant it being poisoned you horrible heartless wanker

lockets Sat 02-Jul-11 16:03:36

PrettyMeerkat Sat 02-Jul-11 16:08:50

IMO your neighbour lost any possible sympathy when she called you thick, complained that your children made a noise whilst playing in their garden and started pointing it out everytime your SN dc had a tantrum. If it wasn't the cat poo it would be something else.

As a person with a dog she must be cleaning up dog shit from her garden ALL THE TIME, yet she complains to you about your cats allegedly doing (and not burying?!) poo in her garden! I am surprised your cats even go into her garden seeing as she has a dog! What better deterrent is there?

It wouldn't surprised me that once she found out you had a cat she spent her time looking out for poos to blame on them, she sounds that type.

I still stand by hiring someone else to clean up the poos once a week rather then yourself (if at all) and making a toilet in your own garden, although like you have said you already have a litter tray!

PrettyMeerkat Sat 02-Jul-11 16:10:30

Rockerchic It wasn't me!

Stormfromeast Sat 02-Jul-11 16:11:30

It's good neighbour-manners to clear up your cats' poo. My garden is full of poo from my neighbours and we had to do the clearing up - not nice.

Doowrah Sat 02-Jul-11 16:22:25

Nothing but admiration for the woman- sorry...

PrettyMeerkat Sat 02-Jul-11 16:28:54

lockets why does it surprise you that the same people give the same responses?

Because it the same people having the same rant over and over again! It's hardly even a different thread!

Rockerchic Sat 02-Jul-11 16:34:11

I know it wasn't meercat, I was merely addressing what you said there are idiots on here that would say poison the cat.

weimy Sat 02-Jul-11 16:34:51

I think if you know that your cat has pooed in their garden you should pick it up. I either end up putting my hand in it when I'm gardening or have to yell at the dogs to stop them eating it. The difficulty is knowing that it is def your cats.

I have dogs and can spot their poo a mile off plus I always know where they are. I don't know what the solution is sorry.

Maybe she could get those plants that cats are not supposed to like the smell of or one of those sonic things?

lockets Sat 02-Jul-11 16:35:57

YABVU OP, your cats shit in your garden you'd pick it up, if it does it in your neighbours you should clear it up. Piss poor argument that you only got a cat as you couldn't be arsed to pick up it's shit, lazy and ignorant.

I hope she puts it on your doorstep or throws it into your garden as I sure as hell would.

onagar Sat 02-Jul-11 16:59:55

We don't have to find a solution - the cat owner does.

It's no use them saying "oh but cats will do that" they should have thought of that before getting one.

And as for people making the same complaint over and over that will continue until the cat owners learn some manners and common decency.

Dogs I wasn't having a go, just pointing out smile.

PrettyMeerkat Sat 02-Jul-11 17:10:23

Maybe the cats could have a tracking device fitted, and a poo sensor, and at the end of the day you can go round the 200 gardens they have visited, search them, do a quick DNA test on each poo found and take them home with you.

PrettyMeerkat Sat 02-Jul-11 17:11:12

weimy You put your hand in it? Don't you wear gardening gloves?

Backinthebox Sat 02-Jul-11 17:11:36

Let's look at the basic problem here: The OP feels her neighbour is being unreasonable to want her to clear up her cats' shit from her garden. Her further thoughts on the matter - "people have cats because they don't want the responsibility of a dog, which includes cleaning up their poo" makes her sound like the most utterly lazy, ignorant and antisocial person I have come across in a long time. Then she mentions that she and her neighbour have disagreements on other aspects of their lives. That's all a red herring. The fact is that the OP feels it is a perfectly acceptable proposition to buy and keep animals fully in the expectation that she will let them shit on someone else's property, and that that's OK. It's not - it is downright fucking antisocial. I have a legal clause attached to my property allowing me to turn sheep out legally on the local main road. I don't do that though, because it would be insane.

Quite why cat owners think that non-cat owners should be happy to accept cat shit in their garden without complaint is beyond me. My neighbour's cats shit in my vegetable beds, rendering this years' carefully tended crops of strawberries and salad leaves completely unusable, because cat shit does contain toxoplasmosis. In all the years I have been gardening I have never found dog or fox shit in my vegetable beds.

Take a little bit of responsibility for your actions - if you are going to get cats, just have a think about where they will shit. Train them a bit, give them somewhere it is acceptable to go. Otherwise, if you keep pushing it, you will find unpleasant threats being made. Not by me, but there are enough people out there who really REALLY hate cats, cat shits and lazy fucking cat owners that eventually, ask enough people, and you will get an answer from a more radical one. And when you do, don't complain about how unreasonable they are - it's YOUR CAT SHIT at the end of the day.

Backinthebox Sat 02-Jul-11 17:14:04

By the way, I know which neighbour it is, because I live deep in the middle of a 9000 acre forest with only one other neighbour. And they have two cats. You don't need to be a detective.

maypole1 Sat 02-Jul-11 17:16:30

I agree I have cats but their indoor I lob next doors cats poo over her fence

weimy Sat 02-Jul-11 17:24:06

No don't use gloves to wash the dishes either it seems a bit weird to me, but TBH I now garden from the back door and just tell my husband what to do smile

JoySzasz Sat 02-Jul-11 17:28:08

I wonder if a many posters are confusing fox poo for cat poo?

I have NEVER seen a cat just poo anywhere...they are very clean creatures and bury it -that whole performance.

I am sure this is the case in some of these stories!

pingu2209 Sat 02-Jul-11 17:30:36

I have spoken with family and responses from this thread. I have decided, when she asks, which she will, to say:

"If you see my cat pooing in your garden, come and get me and I will clear it up there and then. I know that there are lots of other cats around here and foxes, so I will not clear up poo that is not 'fresh', 'moist' or whatever else makes it clear it just happened. I do not legally need to do anything but for neighbourly relations I will do this, with a smile. However, if I am not in, there is nothing I can do. This is only what I will do, if only my husband is in, he will not do this, sorry but I can't make him. His view is 'such is life' cats are everywhere. I hope this is a compromise you can live with."

PrettyMeerkat Sat 02-Jul-11 17:31:11

JoySzasz Probably.

lockets Sat 02-Jul-11 17:31:46

PrettyMeerkat Sat 02-Jul-11 17:32:33

I think that is fair enough pingu as you don't want to be clearing up the poo of every cat/fox/hedgehog in a 5 mile radius!

shuffleballchange Sat 02-Jul-11 17:33:02

Good for her, I'm sick of other peoples cats shitting in my garden

kalo12 Sat 02-Jul-11 17:35:17

i would look in to cat poo deterrent remedies. she's got a dog hasn't she? i also heard lion wee is good, not sure where you get it though

dixiechick1975 Sat 02-Jul-11 17:38:15

Why should your neighbour have to pick it up though?

If the problem has started in the last month since you let your cats out then it's pretty obvious who the culprits are.

Our front lawn cat poo problem stopped the day the neighbours moved (taking their cat with them)

Alternatively maybe offer to buy a car scarer for your neighbour (one of those electronic ones)

Backinthebox Sat 02-Jul-11 17:38:58

Joysayz I wonder if a many posters are confusing fox poo for cat poo?

I can't speak for anyone else here, but if you presented me with piles of cat poo, dog poo, fox poo, even the poo the local owl does, I could tell you which was which. My hens do some spectacular poos when they are broody, which to the uninitiated look like fox poo and could cause a panic in the hen house. But I can assure you, I don't have to see the poo coming out of a cat's bottom to know the cat did it.

Pingu why not bite the bullet and build your little pets a cat loo, and train them how to use it? You've been told how to several times on this thread. Being in possession of that knowledge and still failing to act on it suggests that you are indeed a lazy pet owner.

Backinthebox Sat 02-Jul-11 17:40:41

PS Joysayz - they DO bury it. Even lovelier when you are weeding by hand. hmm

CrapolaDeVille Sat 02-Jul-11 17:41:38

Cats have ruined my herb garden, if I knew which cat did it I would ask too.

JoySzasz Sat 02-Jul-11 17:47:47

backinthebox yes,I get that smile

Sorry that sounds vile...

I just don't think cats are responsible for random poos all over the garden though.

Its not their style grin

That's still unreasonable, what if she sees your cat doing it and you're not in!?

Ignorant and lazy and irresponsible.

I would still throw it over the fence into your garden. See how you and your family enjoy it.

pingu2209 Sat 02-Jul-11 17:48:06

Backinthebox I do have somewhere they can go - a litter box inside and outside I have a flowerbed that my husband dug up about 2 weeks ago. They tend to use the litter box. There must be at least 1/2 a dozen large turds each day in the litter box from the cats.

I think my solution to more than a good compromise. However, I will wait for the day she calls me over to a dry poo and I will turn around and say, nope, that was done ages ago and the deal is I will only clear up my cats poo if she sees them do it and gets me straight away.

GreenEyesandHam Sat 02-Jul-11 17:50:21

pingu geniune question, what will you do if dollops of cat poo suddenly start appearing splattered around your garden?

pingu2209 Sat 02-Jul-11 17:53:06

If that happens I will call the police. Throwing cat poo into someones garden is illegal - it falls under the common law of nuisance. Also under some health and safety by laws.

Having a cat poo in your garden does not fall under the common law of nuisance. An owner does not take on a legal right of responsibility for a cat. The law recognises they roam.

GreenEyesandHam Sat 02-Jul-11 17:54:35

But how will you know who has done it? Would the police be able to prove it? I suppose they could test it for DNA....

SeymoreButts Sat 02-Jul-11 17:55:38

DogsBestFriend The likelihood of contracting the toxoplasmosis parasite is not 'rare', about one third of humans are estimated to have been infected before the age of 12. Serious complications are rare. You can't build up a natural immunity to the parasite, but once you have been infected you won't get re-infected.
I caught it as a child, since we didn't have a pet and I wasn't in the habit of handling raw pork, it probably came from cat poo in the garden. I didn't know I'd had it until I had a blood screening for something else as a teen, and got a seropositive result for toxoplasmosis.
I'm not OCD about it, I expect that my children will probably get infected with it at some point, better to get it now rather than when they are older or pregnant. Since they're not immunocompromised at worst it will cause a mild flu like illness. But I still balk at letting them play in the garden when I know it is full of cat crap. Once I've been able to remove it they can play out where ever they want.

JoySzasz Sat 02-Jul-11 17:55:44

I actually think your neighbor sounds unhinged.

Soon you will be getting the blame for the whole street.

If there are 6 large turds at the end of the day,I can't see 2 cats producing more than that to be able to distribute them all over her gaff!

bad sentence ...you know what I mean though right? grin

EdwardorEricCantDecide Sat 02-Jul-11 18:00:25

If that happens I will call the police. Throwing cat poo into someones garden is illegal - it falls under the common law of nuisance. Also under some health and safety by laws.
how could you prove it was thrown overr the fence perhaps your cat just saw fit to shit on its own doorstep rather than someone elses

so you're ok about YOUR cat's shit in other peoples garden hazards to THEIR health but not YOUR cats in YOUR garden

that actually made me laugh out loud.

have a biscuit

pingu2209 Sat 02-Jul-11 18:04:44

Yup - laugh all you want. If I saw it coming over or found it. I would set a camera up to catch them at it. That is the law - whether you think the law is an ass or not!

Wouldn't want cat poo on my gardening gloves either.

GreenEyesandHam Sat 02-Jul-11 18:09:53

She could set up a camera to catch your cat at it! Sorted.

Or even better, you could - in the interests of being all nice and neighbourly, like....grin

Camera grin that made me laugh

pingu2209 Sat 02-Jul-11 18:13:25

Geeneyes - even if she did catch my cat at it, cats are unique under the law that their owners have no responsibility for trespass or damage.

GreenEyesandHam Sat 02-Jul-11 18:14:51

No but you've agreed to go pick up your own cats shit, so the camera would be a help, no?

GreenEyesandHam Sat 02-Jul-11 18:18:52

Sorry I'm dicking about now but the point is you're prepared to go to camera's and all lengths to stop cat shit coming in to your garden from other sources but completely expect others to 'suck it up'.

The law and everything else is immaterial, if you don't give a shit about it just be honest and say so.

No skin off my nose, I've found a way to keep cat poo out of my garden.

lockets Sat 02-Jul-11 18:21:20

rookiemater Sat 02-Jul-11 18:27:20

Your response sounds barking frankly. You are only prepared to pick up fresh poo, come on that is just ridiculous. The onus should be on you - the person who has chosen to own cats- to prove it wasn't your cat that shat in her garden rather than the other way round.
Your husband sounds delightful too. If I were your neighbours I'd be training my dog to poo in your garden see how you like it.
(Disclaimer I am normally one of the mildest mannered posters on Mumsnet, but I hate clearing cat poo with a passion and you just seem completely oblivious to why a non cat owner wouldn't positvely jump at the pleasure of snapping on their marigolds to pick up your sainted cats excreta)

pingu2209 Sat 02-Jul-11 18:28:10

I don't mind a bit of cat shit in my garden. The gardens where I live are pretty large and cats tend to go in the flower borders, it is the foxes that go in the middle of the garden. I don't do much weeding etc so for me it is not an issue.

When I lived in a new housing estate and there were so many cats I couldn't count them, they pooed in every garden. It's just how it is, such is life.

GreenEyesandHam Sat 02-Jul-11 18:32:56

You're prerogative.

Still puzzling why you needed the thread then..confused

PrettyMeerkat Sat 02-Jul-11 18:36:15

You are right that it is foxes that poo on the lawn, a cat never does that.

Backinthebox Please tell me that you wear gloves when you are weeding!

I think the OPs point about not picking up old poo is that she doens't want to be picking up poo that another cat has done 2 months ago, as the neighbour is quite likely to blame her cats for every poo she finds.

GreenEyesandHam Sat 02-Jul-11 18:39:03

prettymeerkat I have seen a cat poo on my lawn.

With MY OWN EYES.

Not a fox, a cat. It wasn't even a ginger one grin

edam Sat 02-Jul-11 18:43:32

I don't know when some people who don't like cats became quite so precious, but it is NOT normal to demand that cat owners pick up poo. Never heard of such a ridiculous demand until it started cropping up on MN. Everyone here is an adult, surely you are aware that throughout your entire existence in this country, no-one has gone around picking up after cats?

Cats are not like dogs. They are not under their owner's control. The law recognises this. Owners don't take them for walks.

And if you object to cats shitting in your garden, what are you going to do about the birds? And foxes? And hedgehogs? And mice? And every other non-human animal that crosses your patch?

toutlemonde Sat 02-Jul-11 18:44:09

What a horrible neighbour you are OP.

If you gave me the line you're planning to give your neighbours, I'd save you the trouble of coming round for 'fresh' 'moist' poos. I'd be chucking every one into your garden from now on. Many years of happy neighbourly relations ahead.

A masters you say.

rebl Sat 02-Jul-11 18:44:22

Tell her to turn the hose on them, they'll soon stop going in her garden.

PrettyMeerkat Sat 02-Jul-11 18:47:50

it is NOT normal to demand that cat owners pick up poo. Never heard of such a ridiculous demand until it started cropping up on MN. Everyone here is an adult, surely you are aware that throughout your entire existence in this country, no-one has gone around picking up after cats?

My thoughts exactly. It is such a strange suggestion that I find it impossible to put into words why it is strange.

OracleInaCoracle Sat 02-Jul-11 18:53:05

Maybe it should be normal, just as its normal to expect dog owners to pick up after their petds

What a thoroughly nasty person you are OP and your husband sounds even more delightful.

I would throw it over the fence and if the police were called so be it. Alternatively I would turn the hose on full force on your cats and hopefully get rid of them that way.

As for the argument re mice, foxes and birds etc that is nonsense as they are not 'owned' by anyone. Your cats are owned by you.

MissBetsyTrotwood Sat 02-Jul-11 19:08:02

I'm sick of both my neighbours' cats using my garden as a toilet. It stinks. I can't even weed a bed without encountering several fresh turds. I'd love my kids to help me in the garden but every time they do it's so gross they run a mile. It's properly anti social and un neighbourly to make no effort to get your pet to go on your property.

I'm not saying this about you, OP I'm saying that about my neighbours. I don't think I'd mind so much if the cats in question stopped by ours once in a while, or showed us a teeny bit of love but they're all cold eyed killers around here who spend more time prowling around our chubby little guinea pigs than coming up for a cuddle.

Your neighbour's request is a little odd, but rather understandable.

And I also have seen cats pooing on my lawn. Admittedly, the grass was a bit long but it was definitely at it alright!

of course you should go to clean up her garden after your cats, just as soon as she has had it DNA tested to be sure its your cat that has left the deposit grin

MissBetsyTrotwood Sat 02-Jul-11 19:08:46

And yes, cats are a choice - the other animals are not.

PrettyMeerkat Sat 02-Jul-11 19:19:23

ThierryHenryismyBoyfriend They may be a pet but they are still a wild animal.

MissBetsyTrotwood They are a choice? So should we have them all exterminated then? Make them extinct? They are not a choice, they just are!

MissBetsyTrotwood Sat 02-Jul-11 19:26:35

Oh fgs I didn't say that. Of course you can choose whether or not you own a cat. Read my first post. I like em. I just don't like them pooing in my garden.

OracleInaCoracle Sat 02-Jul-11 19:33:53

meerkat, noone is saying that you shouldnt own cats, or they should be exterminated (where the fuck are you getting that from?) it is simply being suggested that since you made the choice to own a pet, you should take responsibility for cleaning up after it. its not an outrageous suggestion, but rather a fair one.

PrettyMeerkat Sat 02-Jul-11 19:35:21

It is a pet which is a wild animal, which roams far and wide, and so impossible to clear up ALL it's poo. Just like if you owned pidgeons for example.

OracleInaCoracle Sat 02-Jul-11 19:38:16

thats a fair point, but if your pet is crapping in a neighbours toilet, why shouldnt you pick it up? I understand the "they roam too far" argument, but if its on the same street, why not?

EdwardorEricCantDecide Sat 02-Jul-11 19:39:56

you are not responsible for wild animals' vet bills/food etc so does that mean u dont feed your cat or look after its health?

its either your animal or a wild animal its staus doesn't change to suit the owner.

either you are responsible for your cat and ALL its care or your not

Pretty, it's not a wild animal in this case. They have been got as family pets and as such they are responsible for all that entails and not just the bits and pieces they want to be responsible for.

pingu2209 Sat 02-Jul-11 19:52:02

What does the law say about cat fouling?

There are no laws regarding cats and fouling in the UK (2010). The cat caretaker (not deemed an owner) is not held to be responsible for the consequences of their cat trespassing. It is a criminal offence to put down poison or set snares for a cat.

Update 6th July 2010: reinforcing the points made earlier. Stealing a cat can put you in prison.

ALSO

Unlike dogs there are no laws regarding cats and fouling.

A cat holds a unique position in law in that the owner of the cat is not held to be responsible for the consequences of any trespass by the cat. It is an offence to put down poison or set snares for a cat.

The majority of cats are meticulous about burying their faeces. Dominant uncastrated tomcats may not bury their faeces to demonstrate that they are the 'top cat' in the area. It is therefore sensible to make sure your cat is neutered; you'll also be helping to reduce the vast number of unwanted kittens born every year.

Since cats bury their faeces, they need a suitable area for this purpose. If one is not provided the cat will use newly-dug ground, especially the fine earth of a seed bed, for preference.

They will also like fallen leaves, grass cuttings, pebbles on drives and sand pits. They may also like long grass if the earth is too hard in which to dig a hole.

OracleInaCoracle Sat 02-Jul-11 19:55:47

well pingu, you have the law on your side, so why let a silly thing like health hazards, and manners get in the way? you really do sound awful. you give cat owners a bad name.

Couldn't agree more lissielou.

noblegiraffe Sat 02-Jul-11 19:58:24

pingu, how are you encouraging your cats to go in your garden rather than hers? Fresh dug earth? Sand? Litter tray?

Perhaps you could solve all this by stopping them shitting in her garden?

lockets Sat 02-Jul-11 20:01:12

flowery Sat 02-Jul-11 20:02:28

What's all the obsession about the law?

I don't pick up my dog's poo because I'm legally obliged to. I do it because it's the responsible considerate thing to do.

If we all behaved to a minumum standard required to avoid breaking the law it would be a sorry state of affairs.

MissBetsyTrotwood Sat 02-Jul-11 20:02:36

Yes! They meticulously bury their faeces in my flower beds. And my herb bed. And my vegetable plot. Absolutely disgusting.

I think I'd prefer it if they just did it somewhere I could see it, not somewhere I stick my (gloved) hands into only for them to emerge stinking.

pingu2209 Sat 02-Jul-11 20:03:28

Giraffe - My husband has dug up a large triangle of flower bed in a sheltered area near our back door and sprinkled used litter on there. We also still have a litter tray inside, which they still use. I have seen them wee on the flower bed, but I haven't seen them poo. I get loads of poos in the litter tray.

It isn't as though I have done nothing to encourage them to 'go' in their own garden.

Marne Sat 02-Jul-11 20:05:10

I hate cats pooing in my garden, luckily sinse getting my own cat we have not had a problem, i dont blame her for being pissed off but at the end of the day 'what can you do about it', cats poo where they want to poo (you cant stop them), tell her to put bottles of water in the area your cat is using.

I have a problem with hedgehogs pooing in my garden, sadly i have no one to complain too grin.

madmomma Sat 02-Jul-11 20:05:19

yep, I would be quite affronted at having to pick up my neighbour's pet's poo out of my own garden. She is being perfectly reasonable.

OracleInaCoracle Sat 02-Jul-11 20:05:53

flowery, exactly. my dog doesnt shit in someone elses garden, not because its against the law, but because I am a responsible pet owner. my neighbours cat uses a litter tray, because she is a responsible pet owner. you chose a cat because you couldnt be arsed with picking up after it, that makes you an irresponsible pet owner and a bit of a twat.

nethunsreject Sat 02-Jul-11 20:06:31

OP, I love your neighbour.

OracleInaCoracle Sat 02-Jul-11 20:07:54

at the end of the day 'what can you do about it', cats poo where they want to poo (you cant stop them)

no, you cant stop them, but if you know where they are pooing, its the responsible and sensible thing to clean up after them.

pingu2209 Sat 02-Jul-11 20:08:20

Lissielou - I DO have a litter tray. Except cats go where they want - that is the point! That is why there is no law on cat fouling.

vnmum Sat 02-Jul-11 20:12:02

oh how I wish that dog owners who are legally obliged to pick up their dog shit, would actually clean it up off paths etc. I am fed up of having to tell DC to mind the shit on the way to school, or having to try and avoid it when out for a run. So not all dog owners clean up after their pets.

If it is usually only entire toms who surface lay and the OPs cats are neutered then to me that is a good enough reason that it may not be her cats that are shitting in the garden.

The neighbour does sound like a controlling bully to be honest. OP how big is her dog? because if she is trying to bully and degrade you i wouldn't put it past her to make out that her dogs shit is your cats to try and get you to shovel it.

To be wuite honest the amount of poos in your litter tray suggest that your cats are actually using that rather than going elsewhere, unless other cats are using your tray too

As stated if you are told they are doing it in your neighbours garden why don't you take their word for it and pick it up!? I bet you'd be delighted if my dog had a shit in your garden and I just left it. And don't spout the law at me, shit is shit. It's disgusting, unhygienic and should not be left lying around for people to walk in, pick up or even have to smell.

OracleInaCoracle Sat 02-Jul-11 20:13:58

but, if you know where they are going (in your neighbours garden) why are you so opposed to cleaning it up? it sounds like you are letting your feelings towards your neighbour cloud your judgement on this matter.

as I said, I appreciate that you cant stop your cat pooing around town (as much as it grates me) but you can clear up some of the mess your pet makes, and it will probably help your relationship with your neighbour.

rainbowinthesky Sat 02-Jul-11 20:24:26

I lol as well at the op saying she would call the police if the neighbour chucked her cats poo back into her garden. Absolutely barmy and incredibly selfish. If you cant take responsibility for your pets and expect other people to instead you shoudlnt have them.

since your cats are new perhaps she has noticed marked increase in cat poo in her garden or there wasnt any before and now there is some and put two and two together. cat poo is disgusting and if you neighbour is sure its your cats i think its fair to expect you to clean it up. people expect people to clean up after their dogs.

AgainWhen Sat 02-Jul-11 20:45:08

YABU

KatieWatie Sat 02-Jul-11 20:52:28

I agree with the neighbour too, although if she has a dog you'd think that'd be enough to keep any cats from pooing in the garden. My dog won't let a cat come near his 'hood.

PrettyMeerkat Sat 02-Jul-11 20:58:57

tell her to put bottles of water in the area your cat is using

Never heard that before. How does it work?

lissielou flowery, exactly. my dog doesnt shit in someone elses garden, not because its against the law, but because I am a responsible pet owner. my neighbours cat uses a litter tray, because she is a responsible pet owner.

Your dog doesn't shit in some one else's garden because IT IS A DOG! Dogs (generally speaking) can't climb the fences out of their own garden so it is never going to be in anothers garden to do a poo in the first place. That's a crap comparison. The OP does have a little tray as she has said several times and also has a toilet in her own garden.

vnmum I agree

strawberryjelly Sat 02-Jul-11 21:02:14

OP said "If that happens I will call the police. Throwing cat poo into someones garden is illegal - it falls under the common law of nuisance. Also under some health and safety by laws."

er...are you a lawyer OP?

i think you could argue that she was returning what was yours.

I used to throw my neighbour's cat's poo right back over the garden fence. into her garden. where it belonged.

why can't people train fucking cats to use litter trays? what is the point of a litter tray if a cat does not use it all the time. EH???????

MissBetsyTrotwood Sat 02-Jul-11 21:04:07

KatieWatie I am loving the gangsta dog thing. Is his collar big and gold? Does he drive a BMW with tinted windows and a massive stereo?

<Refrains from a joke about his bitches as afraid of justified MN feminist backlash>

Sorry for the whimsical diversion. As you were. Off for one more wine

carocaro Sat 02-Jul-11 21:08:08

but cats bury it don't they?

GreenEyesandHam Sat 02-Jul-11 21:11:26

My neighbours cat doesn't bury it carocaro, despite what some posters have said.

It may be just a extraordinarily thick cat.

Buy a sonic repeller for her.

BelleDameSansMerci Sat 02-Jul-11 21:16:53

Cats don't bury it if they are the dominant cat on the patch and there are others around... It's like a big sign saying "this is my patch - fluff off".

PurpleCrazyHorse Sat 02-Jul-11 21:18:12

Not read to the end as couldn't face 10 pages about cat poo grin. I would offer to buy her a decent sonic cat repeller (they can turn it off when their dog is in the garden as presumably the dog would then repel the cats!). That way, it'll stop all cats getting in their garden and you won't be round there every other day picking up cat poo from goodness knows how many cats. I would also get her some rechargeable batteries and a charger!

I would totally pick up Mokie's poo if it was clear that it was only Mokie causing a problem, the trouble is that there are probably loads of cats in your neighbourhood.

GreenEyesandHam Sat 02-Jul-11 21:20:52

Thank you BDSM

<knew I wasn't going mad humph>

Pigsinblankets Sat 02-Jul-11 21:22:43

With the neighbour, I have cat crap everywhere in my garden, in the veg patch, in the flower beds and even in a grow bag with a courgette in it. I've tried a sonic repeller, garlic powder and some other powder from the garden centre and nothing works. I'm quite frankly sick of having to do a turd patrol every day before I let my kids in to the garden.

strawberryjelly Sat 02-Jul-11 21:24:08

Soniccatrepellers only work if they are wired up to the mains permanently or you keep replacing batteries.

They are not foolproof.
we have one in our tiny front garden which works as cats come from one side of path only.

But the one we bought for back garden does not work as the cats come in from all over and the sonic range does not cover that area.

Maybe OP she is thinking that if you have to clear it up, you will get so fed up that you will either give your cats away , or try harder to make them use theri litter tray, or keep them insdde.

why do they need to go out anyway?

Ishani Sat 02-Jul-11 21:24:57

I really don't think anyone should be slinging shit at each other over the fence, this is not how we live people.
Mine (I have three) fill a litter tray every day, the amount they produce - usually just as you tuck into your dinner - the buggers, is amazing. Anyway they can use the litter tray, go outside and squeeze a bit more out, ive seen them do it but they usually burry it too.
I'd suggest orange peel and tin foil, cats can be trained off certain areas.

OracleInaCoracle Sat 02-Jul-11 21:31:53

Actually meerkat, dogs can jump (mine is a jrt so jumps pretty well) they also dig. I'm sure he would love to run into my neighbours garden to shit. But he doesn't because not only have we trained him, but he also has a run. If he poos when we are out I clean it up. I wouldn't expect anyone else to do it. So yes, that makes me responsible pet owner and its not a crap comparison at all.

CurlyBoy Sat 02-Jul-11 21:45:14

Pingu I have to say again that I think your attitude is absolutely appalling! Have you no common decency?? Do you really feel that much better about yourself than everyone else? People with attitudes like yours should live by themselves on little islands away from other people. Can't you see how absolutely RUDE your attitude is???

I am soooooo glad I am NOT your neighbour. To openly state you got cats so you wouldn't have to clean up their shit and then stand behind the law is terrible! You'll be lucky if the least your neighbour does is throw it back. You need to open your eyes and learn how to live among people.

Cuppacake Sat 02-Jul-11 21:45:47

Could I just ask why it is that nobody has cat enclosures? I have one attached to my house and the cats love it. They can come and go as they please, but within the confines of their enclosure. Google cat enclosures images - there are some lovely ones and you can get quite creative with them. We have shelves, climbing frames, huge logs, water features, etc.

The cats love it and they dont bother the neighbours at all. I also have peace of mind that they wont run in the road, get eaten by a dog and things. My cats never try and get our or even show any interest outside the enclosure.

Just wondering why more people dont do them?

edam Sat 02-Jul-11 21:49:44

Because it's cruel. Cats didn't evolve to live in cages. It might suit humans and it might be a way of keeping them safe from traffic, but it's not right IMO.

PrettyMeerkat Sat 02-Jul-11 21:54:11

strawberryjelly Well she does have a litter tray and they also have a toilet in their own garden so the only person whose word the OP has that her cats are crapping in the neighbours garden, is well, the neighbour, who incidently is not very nice by the sounds of it and looks down her long nose at the OP.

And why do they need to go out anyway??????? That's got to be a joke!

lissielou So your dog can jump clean over a 6/7ft fence can it? You can train a cat to a certain extent but you can't train in to behave like a dog! You are being ridiculous!

GreenEyesandHam Sat 02-Jul-11 21:55:20

You could say that about any pet edam

PrettyMeerkat Sat 02-Jul-11 21:55:41

Cuppacake I agree with edam, it's unnatural.

Cuppacake Sat 02-Jul-11 21:56:06

I dont think dogs were either tbh but we live in a society with people around us. I know for sure that monkeys, reptiles, etc are not supposed to be caged either and yet they are. Perhaps ask a bird if he would prefer free flight or a fish how he feels. You want to keep a pet, surely you know that once upon a time - none were caged?

I can also assure you that you will not often see more cared for, happy cats than mine so its most certainly not doing them emotional harm. I have 6 of them and they are no more cruely treated than a dog or caged bird.

Cuppacake Sat 02-Jul-11 21:58:16

Oh sorry just to add about the litter trays. I have 9 in the enclosure and they are cleaned daily BUT they still go in the pot plants as well. A can will use whatever takes its fancy so even if they are litter box trained, they will go in a garden.

PrettyMeerkat Sat 02-Jul-11 22:00:02

Cuppacake Yes there are people around us, society bla bla bla, but that doesn't mean that animals should lose who they are, are our freedoms so important that animals should have none? You cage a whole species of animals and eventually they will lose all their natural instincts. I don't agree with caging any animals unless it's neccessary to try to bread them to ensure the survival of the species.

I have 6 of them and they are no more cruely treated than a dog or caged bird.

I actually think it is extremely cruel to cage a bird!

Doobydoo Sat 02-Jul-11 22:01:19

OP,Only read your post so far.I really do think you should pick up your cats poo from your neighbours garden.Ihave 2 dogs I pick up their poo the neighbours cats poo in our garden[and spray]...it is vile and makes me angrythat it is deemed acceptable.Imagine the outrage if my dogs pooed in their garden.I loathe picking up cat crap and may now suggest they clean it up!
Also having 2 family members who are allergic to cats I do not appreciate them trying to come in through windows.

Doobydoo Sat 02-Jul-11 22:02:49

You should go round daily to do it...or twice a day as I assume you would in your own garden so your children don't roll in it.

PrettyMeerkat Sat 02-Jul-11 22:02:58

You should obviously breed them, not bread them. That would be cruel and not very tasty!

PrettyMeerkat Sat 02-Jul-11 22:04:32

Cuppacake Without sounding mean, your cat enclosure sounds like one you might see on the telly, "mad lady keeps 9 cats confined in cage!" grin

Cuppacake Sat 02-Jul-11 22:04:41

Do you have pets Meerkat? I do agree with the bread them smile Not very tasty Im sure!

PrettyMeerkat Sat 02-Jul-11 22:05:30

I've had cats on and off my whole life yes.

PrettyMeerkat Sat 02-Jul-11 22:06:18

Sorry got to go, will be back later to carry on arguing. OOooh love a good debate!

OracleInaCoracle Sat 02-Jul-11 22:06:26

Meerkat, He can jump a 5ft fence, and dig under a 6/7 ft one. But that's beside the point I'm not saying train it to behave like a dog, I'm saying behave like a responsible human being. What exactly is your issue with clearing up mess made by your pet? If you know where the mess is, why shouldn't you? Why do some cat owners feel that they are so special that they neednt act responsibly? And leave the clearing up to others?

Cuppacake Sat 02-Jul-11 22:06:28

LOL not at all! How many people keep cats in small apartments or flats? Its no different. I know they are safe and the dobermans next door cant eat them! I have lovely Ragdolls and am not a crazy cat lady...............or maybe I am smile

Cuppacake Sat 02-Jul-11 22:07:21

Aaah ok so confining dogs is ok?

Cuppacake Sat 02-Jul-11 22:10:30

My cat enclosure is moulded on this one. I did my research and this was the one I thought would best suite us. I have less brick and more grass and obviously is not identical but very, very similar. My cats are very spoilt happy cats. They do however, spend most of their time spread over our office desks or my bed but they love it out there when its warm.

http://www.catsofaustralia.com/cat-enclosures-2.htm

strawberryjelly Sat 02-Jul-11 22:35:57

cats are pointless.

can I ask why any of you cat lovers have them?
IMO they have no loyalty- they love anyone who offers then a tin of food.

As for slinging poo at each other- errrrr...not really.

A carefully placed trowel of poo over the neighbour's fence was simply giving her back her cat's shit.

OP I think you should pick up after your cats. The chances are she's either caught your cats in the act or she's put two and two together because the problem has only started since your cats started to go outside. She shouldn't have to put up with this just because she's a bit of a snooty cow and you don't like her.

In the past I've seen a neighbours cat digging and pooing in our flower beds, and yes they do try to bury it a bit but it's not all that effective, a bit of soil scraping that doesn't do much to cover it. If you are a gardener it can still be annoying to find buried or half buried poo because you are constantly weeding and planting and turning the soil etc.

At a different home we had three flowerpots on our open porch and our neighbours cat started to use those pots and the doormat as a toilet. It was summer and the smell was awful, we had to get rid of the doormat and keep scrubing the porch. We knew it was her cat because we came home and found him there spraying the doormat.

Both times I mentioned it to the neighbours involved and both times I was answered with "how do you know it was our cat?" and then when I told them I had seem them they said "well that's what cats do." Neither of them apologised or offered to clean up or anything.

You say you got cats because you didn't want to clean up after your pets but your neighbours shouldn't have to clean up after them either. It might not be a legal responsibility but you have a moral one. You might not believe it's your cat (or only your cat) that's shitting in her garden but you know it's doing it somewhere other than it's litter tray so you know that someone other than you is having to deal with your animals poo. At least if you helped to clear her garden a bit you would be redressing the balance a bit.

And I think the only reason it's not a legal responsibility is because it is too hard to enforce, not because cat poo is less annoying, less disgusting or less dirty than dog poo. Cats jump and climb where dogs don't. So it's easier to keep a dog in it's own garden.

I have internet friends in America who tell me their entire town has a law in which cats must be either kept indoors or allowed outside only in pens or on leads. I find that a bit strange, I can't imagine how people here would react if one of the requirements for keeping a cat was turning your garden into a giant cat pen surrounded by chicken wire. But they find it odd we are prepared to turn cats loose to "endanger themselves on the roads" or cause a nuisence to other people. Their town agreed this law partly to protect cats from harm but also to stop problems between neighbours because of issues like yours with your neighbour.

duchesse Sat 02-Jul-11 22:51:08

Cat shit IS disgusting and should be picked up wherever your kitties decide to poop. <gavel>

Ishani Sat 02-Jul-11 22:59:19

Cats are no more pointless than any other pet. I've never understood how anyone could keep a bird caged for example but we all have different tastes.
Mine would leave us for a tin of tuna, I understand that but for now it works.

fortyplus Sat 02-Jul-11 23:10:36

Children are pointless wink

OracleInaCoracle Sat 02-Jul-11 23:15:46

Well, in the ops case, she had cats so she wouldn't have to clear up after them wink

I agree wholeheartedly with takethisone.

GreenEyesandHam Sat 02-Jul-11 23:18:21

Children are pointless

Makes no sense, were you never a child? Did you arrive here, age 'fortyplus'? grin

duchesse Sat 02-Jul-11 23:18:35

I think if you catch someone's cat in the act of pissing on your doormat, confront the owner and they deny that is was theirs or ask for proof you are completely in your rights to ask them if it's ok to catch the bugger and spray it pink next time. No doubt then about whose cat it is...

OracleInaCoracle Sat 02-Jul-11 23:23:24

Haha duchesse, that's a great idea

michelleseashell Sat 02-Jul-11 23:24:47

My cat loves me more than my baby does. Unfortunately!

Saggyoldclothcatpuss Sat 02-Jul-11 23:28:20

" I actually owned cats over the years, even though I do like dogs too, because I don't want the additional hassle and responsibility of a dog - such as having to walk it, be around at home more for it, and pick up its poo when we go on walks."
"I don't mind a bit of cat shit in my garden." -No. But maybe your neighbour does! And as its her garden, I think she has that right!
You sound like such a nice person! Not. Happy to put two more cats out into the world to harrass the neighbourhood, so long as you dont have to clear up after them.
I totally agree with your neighbour. I like cats, yes, but I dont chose to keep them. I HATE finding cat shit in my garden. It stinks and its unhygienic. If I wanted worms, or toxoplasmosis, or cat shit in my vegetable patch or childs sandpit, Id get my own cat! If I was your neighbour, and I was being invaded by your animals, freedom to roam or not, I would be investing in a high pressure hose, or bb gun. Or even better, upgrading my dog to a large cat chasing greyhound! No, legally, she doesnt have a leg to stand on, but that doesnt make her wrong.

alistron1 Sat 02-Jul-11 23:29:07

Jesus, I have a cat, who due to being a big coward and not going anywhere, only shits in our garden. I watch him every morning at about half sixish having his daily dump and TBH me, DP and kids manage to go outside without getting covered in shit.

These are cats we are talking about, not elephants or horses. It's not like cats cause a daily shit tsunami. And all sorts of animals shit in our gardens all the time FFS. In the 'outside' animals will shit on stuff. It's life. Humans evolved and coped with animal shit. You big bunch of jessies.

OracleInaCoracle Sat 02-Jul-11 23:32:33

Jesus, I have a cat, who due to being a big coward and not going anywhere, only shits in our garden. I watch him every morning at about half sixish having his daily dump and TBH me, DP and kids manage to go outside without getting covered in shit.

but why should other people have to deal with your animals shit? Im staggered that people think that this is acceptable!

GreenEyesandHam Sat 02-Jul-11 23:36:40

allstron you're a cat owner. You choose to have cat shit in your garden (nice btw, just lovely)

I am not a cat owner, therefore I choose not to have cat shit in my garden. I'm not scared of it, I just don't want it.

I'm not here wailing and moaning about it, I put cayenne pepper down and it works. That means no poo. Nada, no hedgehog shit, fox crap, elephant shite, nowt.

FabbyChic Sat 02-Jul-11 23:38:06

If you were my neighbour I'd clear the cats poo from my garden and throw it in yours.

alistron1 Sat 02-Jul-11 23:38:38

A cat is generally quite small, smaller than a toddler or a baby. They do small shits. It's not a tidal wave of faeces.

All sorts of animals shit outside. Foxes shit, birds shit, rats shit. There is shit everywhere. Cat shit is small beer.

Unless there are monster cats prowling the UK who unleash massive piles of towering shit in peoples gardens.

If you are scared of shit don't go outside. Shit is everywhere dudes.

GreenEyesandHam Sat 02-Jul-11 23:39:57

Not in my garden grin

fortyplus Sat 02-Jul-11 23:42:02

Is it really such a big deal to cope with a bit of poo in your garden? You lot need to get a life! Clear it up yourselves even if a neighbour's cat has done it. My neighbour's cat craps in my garden and I wouldn't dream of upsetting her by making a fuss about it. Cats are free-roaming creatures - you cannot and should not keep them confined - it's cruel.

Good neighbours are tolerant of each other and their animals.

OracleInaCoracle Sat 02-Jul-11 23:43:24

alistron, cat shit (even small cat shit) is full of diseases. so is dog shit. so is human shit. I dont revel in my crap, or my dogs crap. I dont leave it lying around because its unhygienic. it may be natural, but it aint nice.

go outside and put your hand in your cats shit, or better still, let your child do it... then come back and tell us that its no big deal.

GreenEyesandHam Sat 02-Jul-11 23:43:50

I have a life thanks, it doesn't involve clearing up anyone else's mess.

OracleInaCoracle Sat 02-Jul-11 23:46:02

fortyplus Sat 02-Jul-11 23:42:02
Is it really such a big deal to cope with a bit of poo in your garden?

yes it is. its about showing a bit of respect and courtesy to your fellow humans and not expecting them to clean up after your pet.
and if its not such a big deal, why cant the op do it?

mathanxiety Sat 02-Jul-11 23:48:50

I live in an area where there are hawks, so not many small pets are allowed out unaccompanied. My own little cat is an indoor cat. I deeply resented a neighbour who allowed her Irish setter to roam freely around and deposit a calling card on my front lawn every so often and I think I would feel the same about cats pooing in the garden. Do you think your cat would go in a catbox in the neighbour's garden?

iscream Sat 02-Jul-11 23:51:31

I am a cat owner, but mine stays indoors. I think even if you are not legally obligated to clean up after your pet, that you would feel morally obligated. I think your idea to say if she has witnessed the act, is a good idea, as otherwise it possibly is not your cat.

alistron1 Sat 02-Jul-11 23:52:01

I have a cat, chickens and a hamster. My garden (from the cat/chickens) is covered in shit. My veg patch gets shat on by various animals. TBF, my cat shits far less than the foxes and pigeons...and the chickens.

My kids have played in the shitstorm of my garden and survived.

mathanxiety Sat 02-Jul-11 23:52:19

You can get toxoplasmosis from handling cat poo, which can happen inadvertently if you're gardening in a cat's favourite spot. Pregnant women should guard against this infection.

TheSparrow Sat 02-Jul-11 23:53:53

Haven't managed to read the whole thread (it's got quite long...) but the law is "you fence against the common". That means that it is the land owners responsibility to keep other people's animals out.

Strictly speaking, this applies only to farm animals kept on common land, but it provides a very strong basis for considering the law in relation to a capricious animal such as a cat ( as opposed to a compliant animal, such as a dog): this distinction is signficant since one farm animal (the Scotch Blackface Sheep) is so capricious - which means the entire species is psychotic bastards- that it is subject to different rules.

In a nutshell, you have to pick up dog shit, you don't have to pick up cat shit (unless it turns you on ...)

GreenEyesandHam Sat 02-Jul-11 23:58:43

That's fine for you alistron I get that, it's your choice. It's lovely that your children have played knee deep in shit and survived.

It's not my choice though, I don't want a garden full of shit (call me wild and crazy, I'm that kind of girl)

alistron1 Sat 02-Jul-11 23:59:06

Despite witnessing my cat shitting in my garden every morning, I've never found his shit. He buries it. The only visible shit I've found is fox shit, pigeon shit and rat droppings.

How do you all know that the shit in your gardens is feline? Do you get it analysed? And how do you all feel about bird/fox/rat shit?

Do some of you not go outside 'just in case'?

alistron1 Sat 02-Jul-11 23:59:58

But greeneyes, what about the birds? Do you have a no fly zone?

GreenEyesandHam Sun 03-Jul-11 00:01:52

No, as I said ^ up thread, I've SEEN the cat do it.

When I stopped the cat(s), no more shit. None.

GreenEyesandHam Sun 03-Jul-11 00:03:15

We feed the birds, no, no shit. I appreciate this may be more luck than judgement grin

"I watch him every morning at about half sixish having his daily dump and TBH me, DP and kids manage to go outside without getting covered in shit"

So as you watch him, you know where he goes and you can clean up or avoid the area. You're expecting to find shit in your garden. The OP's neighbour, and the other people who have unwittingly stepped or sat in it, are not.

If your garden is a shit storm it's mostly because you have chosen to keep animals who make it that way. So it's your choice. But it's not the OP's neighbours choice.

There shouldn't be much difference for the OP in cleaning up the shit in the litter box inside her own house and cleaning up the shit in the neighbours garden when it all comes from her cat.

alistron1 Sun 03-Jul-11 00:06:42

greeeneyes, the birds will be shitting when you are not looking. They do that...and then they blame it on the cats. The pigeons where I live do really big meaty shits. Worse than dogs.

I'm equal opportunities though. Shit is shit. it's everywhere, we are all covered in it.

Embrace the shit. It's the only way.

GreenEyesandHam Sun 03-Jul-11 00:13:16

We don't have pigeons

I don't live in a Market square FFS.

I'm not cat-ist, if it was a dog i'd be saying the same. If it was a fox or an elephant I'd shoot it.

But I don't 'embrace the shit'. Neither should you, you know you don't have to live this way?

grin

fortyplus Sun 03-Jul-11 00:20:30

lissielou - courtesy and respect for humans doesn't extend to having to fret about what a cat is up to - at least not on my planet. If my neighbour's cat craps in my garden i don't get all paranoid about it. I had horses for years so dealt with more poo than most. I think you sound rather precious tbh

pingu2209 Sun 03-Jul-11 00:22:14

Laws are there for a reason. There is a reason it is illegal to leave your dog's poo on the ground. There is another reason that it is legal to leave your cat's poo on the ground.

I seriously think it is bloody strange to ask anyone to come round and clear up their cat's shit. It is not normal for cat 'caretakers' (as the law calls them, not owners) to go round the neighbours each day with a pooper scooper. It is not normal.

My neighbours request is not normal. It is indicative of how she is.

Of the respondents on this thread who think I should go round the neighbours, do you really think this is common place? I still think it is very strange.

duchesse Sun 03-Jul-11 00:25:44

Cat shit and horse shit are VERY different items. Cats eat meat and their shit smells disgusting and is a difficult consistency iyswim, horses eat grass and oats and their shit looks like chewed grass and smells like fermented hay. I would rather wade through horse dung every day than accidentally find cat dung in my flower beds while weeding. And that's not because I love horses and dislike cats (I don't love horses- I don't mind them, just don't love em) even though I'm not that fond of cats (more of a dog person). It's just that there is a distinct dung difference.

GreenEyesandHam Sun 03-Jul-11 00:27:30

Op you obviously don't give a flying crap what anyone thinks.

I would say the majority of the respondents on this thread think you are being unreasonable (which is pretty unusual for a cat poo thread).

You aren't going to do it, so move on.

DollyTwat Sun 03-Jul-11 00:28:47

I wish it was the normal thing tbh and I wish I had the nerve to ask my cat owning neighbour to clear it up.

Probably not that practical for her to cone through my house every day though on a poo finding mission.

fortyplus Sun 03-Jul-11 00:32:49

duchesse - gosh I'm so glad you've told me the difference between cat shit and horse shit - I never knew that hmm

GreenEyesandHam Sun 03-Jul-11 00:33:56

It didn't sound like you knew that grin

pingu2209 Sun 03-Jul-11 00:35:35

DollyTwat - that is the point I am making. Okay a lot of responses have been that I should go over there each day. However, it isn't normal. None of the respondents have asked their neighbours' with cats. Therefore it isn't a normal request.

satine Sun 03-Jul-11 00:36:03

Look, bugger the legal stuff, if your pet does a crap on someone else's lawn, even if there is a chance that it might not have been your particular pet THIS TIME, you should clear it up. Dog, cat, whatever. I see that as your basic moral obligation, as a functioning member of a community.

fortyplus Sun 03-Jul-11 00:37:46

You know what? In my world the cat owner would offer to clear up after her pet and I would laugh and tell her not to be so daft

HouseOfBamboo Sun 03-Jul-11 00:40:54

IME cat owners are accomplished at sticking their fingers in their ears and going tra la la la la la so they don't have to face up to the ishoo of the fact that their little furry darlings fill other people's gardens and public spaces with crap.

But cats seem to get away with it on the whole, whereas if other domestic pets or small children did the same, they probably wouldn't. <shrug>

edam Sun 03-Jul-11 00:43:42

duchess, that's a very lovely attempt to make horse shit somehow appealing, but it ain't working... A great steaming pile of horse poo is smelly, horrible and huge. And riders never jump off, armed with a shovel and a bin bag and clean it up. Nor would I expect them too, that would be mad. Just as mad as the 'cat owners should clean my garden' brigade.

HouseOfBamboo Sun 03-Jul-11 00:45:29

I'd rather have a steaming pile of horse poo in my shady borders than a steaming pile of cat shit. DH would actually be beside himself with joy at self-manuring beds.

straighttalker Sun 03-Jul-11 00:51:05

Since you're fond of quoting the law, if this 'barking' dog your neighbour owns gets hold of a cat defecating or just wandering in their garden, he may kill/seriously injure it. The law is pretty clear that your neighbour will be in no way liable for this. And this cat that you 'caretake' rather than 'own' will be dead.

Your cat. Your responsibility. Either pick up the shit. Or keep your cat in. Or don't own a pet. Not a difficult dilemma really, is it.

DollyTwat Sun 03-Jul-11 00:54:05

I'd love my neighbour to offer
Most of us have resigned ourselves to the fact we have to put up with other people's cat shit. I hate it and wish it eas normal for people to be responsible for their cat

<I'm posting on a cat poo thread, shakes head>

OP then why ask in this section?

"Laws are there for a reason. There is a reason it is illegal to leave your dog's poo on the ground. There is another reason that it is legal to leave your cat's poo on the ground."

And what are those reasons?

Cat shit is as vile, smelly and germ filled as dog shit. And there are constant threads on here about people objecting to finding it in their gardens. So it's as much of a nuisance as uncleaned up dog shit too.

You have a pet you don't want to take full responsibility for and as far as I am concerned the law is only different for cat shit and dog shit because it is that bit more difficult to stop a cat leaving it's own garden and fouling someone elses than it is to stop a dog.

It's not because cats like to roam more than dogs or because they are free spirits or because they shit rainbow drops so they need to be allowed free run of the neighbourhood. It's because they can climb and jump higher than a dog over a normal sized garden fence and nobody has come up with a way to stop them that doesn't involve being kept indoors or in pens.

It should be commonplace for the owner of an animal to be responsible for cleaning up after it in public and in other people's gardens and there shouldn't have to be a law to make that happen, people should just have the moral decency to do it.

It's not like anyone has told you to scour the neighbourhood looking for your own cats shit, but this particular neighbour has approached you saying she has a problem with your pets shitting in her garden and has asked you to solve that problem. And since she has, it shouldn't take a law for you to act upon her request.

Collaborate Sun 03-Jul-11 01:17:18

My wife's cousins in ~Ireland keep dogs. They live in the country, but don't want the dogs escaping their large garden.

The dogs have a collar that gives them a mild electric shock if the pass a wire buried in the boundary. Nowadays they know not to cross the boundary even if they haven't got their collar on.

OP - if you wanted to you could get this for your cat. It would stop it, inevitably, shitting in other people's gardens.

I'm biased - one shat in my children's sandpit.

If I were your neighbour I'd be flinging them back over your wall (the shit not the cat, though there's a thought!!!) if you don't pick them up. Where I live now we have trouble with fox crap. It's disgusting, but at least they have the excuse of being wild animals.

iscream Sun 03-Jul-11 02:53:51

Well, it is up to you of course. I think if my neighbor asked me (if I had an outdoor cat) to do it, I would feel morally responsible. Even if I disliked the neighbors.

If I were the person having animals use my garden for a litter box, I would install a motion sensor sprinkler, not sure about wintertime though. What do outdoor cats do in the winter when the ground is frozen, or snow covered?

iscream Sun 03-Jul-11 02:55:25

Perhaps suggest to your neighbor the motion sensor sprinkler? She can turn it off when she wants to go outside.

mathanxiety Sun 03-Jul-11 04:31:22

'Of the respondents on this thread who think I should go round the neighbours, do you really think this is common place? I still think it is very strange.' It is probably strange because most garden owners don't have the neck your neighbour has, but most would love to do what she has done.

Alistron, you can usually tell it's catpoo because they cover it, making it more likely that an unwitting gardener will end up getting it on his or her hands. If it was dog poo you could see it and avoid it or shovel it up. With cat poo it's usually too late.

lockets Sun 03-Jul-11 07:51:01

strawberryjelly Sun 03-Jul-11 07:58:32

OP you said this:
My neighbours request is not normal. It is indicative of how she is.

Of the respondents on this thread who think I should go round the neighbours, do you really think this is common place? I still think it is very strange.

You know who your neighbour is?

SHE IS THE SILENT MAJORITY.
yes, she is what many of us would like to be and say to cat owners everywhere.

Come round and clear this stinking pile up.

I applaud her and she deserves a medal from all the none cat owners of the country who are heartily sick of having flowers, seeds, vegetables etc ruined by cats digging, and having to waste our money buying deterents to deal with other people's selfish behaviour.

Well, I'd like it if I was never disturbed by dogs barking. But I accept that unless I live on a large country estate that will never happen. It's part and parcel of living in close proximity to other people (and their pets).

strawberryjelly Sun 03-Jul-11 08:58:04

LTS that's rubbish TBH.

I am not a dog owner but my brother is. He does not allow his dog to bark- she is reprimanded or clamed if she barks for "attention" etc.

If dogs are barking for a long time then something is worng and their owners are being neglectful, or have not trained them properly.

if you have dogs barking at unsocial times you can report this- it is illegal.

In any case, you cannot really say that animals shitting in your garden is as accpetable/unaccpetable as the noise they make.

PrettyMeerkat Sun 03-Jul-11 08:59:05

Cuppacake I don't particularly agree with keeping cats confined to flats either! Not sure where the dog thing came from but dogs get taken for walks and can run around their own garden. Is that really what your enclosure looks like?!

lissielou The point is that you were comparing keeping a dog in your garden and keeping a cat in your garden. There is NO comparison. Most people have fences of 6ft which you've said yourself your dog can't jump over. Cat's can get over anything!

strawberryjelly cats are pointless. can I ask why any of you cat lovers have them? IMO they have no loyalty- they love anyone who offers then a tin of food. - Oh so that's why we have pets/friends/children! For what they . . . give . . . us . . . back! What a bizaar viewpoint. Better have them all killed then. Infact better kill all the gooldfish while we're at it, and in fact all wild animals!

Saggyoldclothcatpuss You should always keep a sandpit covered! It's just common sense! confused

OracleInaCoracle Sun 03-Jul-11 08:59:48

fortyplus: lissielou - courtesy and respect for humans doesn't extend to having to fret about what a cat is up to - at least not on my planet. If my neighbour's cat craps in my garden i don't get all paranoid about it. I had horses for years so dealt with more poo than most. I think you sound rather precious tbh

could you be more patronising? is it really precious to be fed up of putting my hand in cat shit when gardening? or have having to go out there with a doggy bag and scoop to clear up the cat shit at the bottom of my sons slide? or of smelling it everytime I go out into my garden? I have a dog, Im not bothered about shit, but I do resent having to clean up someone elses pets'

pingu, it may not be normal, but I still think your neighbour is not being unreasonable, I wish I'd done it rather than silently seething and whether something is normal or not is irrelevant, as is the law on the matter. it all comes down to whether you want to be a responsible pet owner.

edam:And riders never jump off, armed with a shovel and a bin bag and clean it up. Nor would I expect them too, that would be mad. Just as mad as the 'cat owners should clean my garden' brigade.

the difference is that horses dont come into someone elses garden specifically to crap! and why is so mad to expect cat owners to clean up after their pet (within reason obv) seriously? I dont get why some people are happy to let others clean up after their pet.

takethisone: It should be commonplace for the owner of an animal to be responsible for cleaning up after it in public and in other people's gardens and there shouldn't have to be a law to make that happen, people should just have the moral decency to do it.

It's not like anyone has told you to scour the neighbourhood looking for your own cats shit, but this particular neighbour has approached you saying she has a problem with your pets shitting in her garden and has asked you to solve that problem. And since she has, it shouldn't take a law for you to act upon her request.

exactly, couldnt agree more.

and also with strawberryjelly.

longtalljosie, its hardly comparable!

PrettyMeerkat Sun 03-Jul-11 08:59:49

These are cats we are talking about, not elephants or horses. It's not like cats cause a daily shit tsunami. And all sorts of animals shit in our gardens all the time FFS. In the 'outside' animals will shit on stuff. It's life. Humans evolved and coped with animal shit. You big bunch of jessies. -

That's funny! I think a lot of people want to have a beautiful garden, a lovely piece of nature, thats . . . erm . . . sterile!

Is it really such a big deal to cope with a bit of poo in your garden? You lot need to get a life! Clear it up yourselves even if a neighbour's cat has done it. My neighbour's cat craps in my garden and I wouldn't dream of upsetting her by making a fuss about it. Cats are free-roaming creatures - you cannot and should not keep them confined - it's cruel. -

Totally agree!

OracleInaCoracle Sun 03-Jul-11 09:04:17

meerkat, and dogs can dig under, but that wasnt the point I was making. I was saying that I take responsiblity for my pet a) by keeping him in my garden and b) by cleaning up after him.

if I saw him crapping in my neighbours garden (and he has got out a couple of times, especially when we had just moved) I would be mortified and clean it up without even being asked. I wouldnt say "oh get over it, its what animals do"

OracleInaCoracle Sun 03-Jul-11 09:05:51

and no, I dont want a sterile garden, just one that is safe for my son to play in and that I can dig in without getting cat shit all over my hand. why is so hard to understand? not everyone revels in animal dung!

Sirzy Sun 03-Jul-11 09:08:11

Exactly lissie. I choose not to have pets so don't expect to have to clean up after other people's

PrettyMeerkat Sun 03-Jul-11 09:12:03

Collaborate Put a lid on your sandpit for gods sake. COMMON SENSE! Also a cat is a wild animal as well, just one that is lodging with humans.

lissielou What is with all these people that don't wear gardening gloves! Eeek! Even if there were no cats in the world you'd still be getting other animal poos all over your hands! Disgusting! YOU CAN NOT KEEP A CAT CONFINED TO A GARDEN! They will ALWAYS find a way over, ALWAYS!

PrettyMeerkat Sun 03-Jul-11 09:16:02

Sirzy I don't keep birds/foxes/hedgehogs/squirrels/insects etc but expect to come across their poo in my garden as that is nature.

What is with all the people wanting nature free gardens! Whoever said the word precious has got it spot on. People want their gardens to be like the insides of their homes and that is never going to happen as you can't stop animals from entering your garden. Maybe those people should build themselves an enclosure so that they never have to encounter these things! Oh boo hoo

OracleInaCoracle Sun 03-Jul-11 09:16:16

lissielou What is with all these people that don't wear gardening gloves! Eeek! Even if there were no cats in the world you'd still be getting other animal poos all over your hands! Disgusting! YOU CAN NOT KEEP A CAT CONFINED TO A GARDEN! They will ALWAYS find a way over, ALWAYS!

I do use gloves, but I still dont want to put my hand in cat crap. and I know that cats will find a way out, if you read my earlier posts I accept that and accept that you cant pick up all the crap. however, if your cat goes next door to shit, and you know this happens why shouldnt you clean it up? Im not saying cat owners should roam around the town after their cat with a pooper scoop, but the op has been approached by the woman next door and asked to clean up mess left by her cat. why shouldnt she?

alistron1 Sun 03-Jul-11 09:16:47

Oh the irony. I was woken this morning with the news that my cat had done a shit on the upstairs carpet. I have truly embraced the shit dudes grin

DD2 remarked that it looked exactly like a turkey twizzler.

HouseOfBamboo Sun 03-Jul-11 09:19:02

So if you have a cat, why is it such a problem to get it to use a litter tray?

GreenEyesandHam Sun 03-Jul-11 09:19:55

grin alistron the shit is like, totally taking over your life.

Yeuch at turkey twizzler

OracleInaCoracle Sun 03-Jul-11 09:20:54

What is with all the people wanting nature free gardens! Whoever said the word precious has got it spot on. People want their gardens to be like the insides of their homes and that is never going to happen as you can't stop animals from entering your garden. Maybe those people should build themselves an enclosure so that they never have to encounter these things! Oh boo hoo

of for fucks sake! noone is saying that they want their garden nature free, but people choose to have cats, you choose to own them. you pay the vets bills, feed them, let them sit on your lap and enjoy their company. if someone has a pet mouse they clean up after them, ditto a pet bird. a hedgehog shitting in my flower beds is different to a cat shitting in my flowerbed. cat shit is bad for the garden for a start. I just want people to take responsibility for their pets

alistron1 Sun 03-Jul-11 09:22:01

My cat was a stray HoB , he was about 7 when we got him and his shitting habits were embedded. We've tried him with a litter tray but he refuses to use one. He thinks that he's above that sort of thing.

I guess if you have a cat from a kitten it's easy to train em to use a litter tray.

vnmum Sun 03-Jul-11 09:24:35

so you all would like this scenario would you?

You are just sat outside eating a meal with some visitors when someone hops over your fence, starts digging about in your borders or veg patch filling a bag with shit, waves at you and shouts " just on shit patrol, enjoy your meal" and hops back over the fence.

And as for the 'cats are pointless' comments. I find dogs that are actually smaller than cats and serve no purpose other than to be carried around when they have fully working legs abit pointless too, but each to their own.

yes I am grumpy this morning.

OracleInaCoracle Sun 03-Jul-11 09:29:25

vnmum, there are compromises that can be made, surely?! hmm

giraffesCantZumba Sun 03-Jul-11 09:31:59

pingu perhaps you could move nextdoor to alistron?

HouseOfBamboo Sun 03-Jul-11 09:32:55

Alistron - I can see that would be more difficult with an older cat. But plenty of people have cats from kittens and seem to think that cleaning out litter trays is beneath THEM. After all why go to the expense and trouble of buying cat litter when their kitty can shit in other people's gardens for nothing, and those garden owners even provide a free clearing up service. Marvellous.

vnmum Sun 03-Jul-11 09:33:29

lissie compromises on what? The timing of shit patrol? unfortunately if people are requesting cat owners to go around cleaning up all their shit, then the cat owner cannot fit in with everyones schedule. It would just become a designated job to be done at a time the owner can do it inbetween other jobs, work, childcare etc.

PrettyMeerkat Sun 03-Jul-11 09:33:34

lissielou I suggested earlier that OP pays someone else to clear up the poo. That way the neighbour is happy but she doesn't get the chance to demean (which she seems determined to do) the OP or be constantly knocking on her door about random poos. Don't know if she liked that idea though.

vnmum That paints a strange picture! grin It's just not practical is it! It's fair enough all these people saying that you have to clear up after your cat but in practice you can't actually do that!

'cats are pointless' That's got to be the most stupid comment I've ever heard!

OracleInaCoracle Sun 03-Jul-11 09:34:14

houseofbamboo, yep and some (such as the op) actually get a cat, purely so they dont have to clean up after them. lovely.

alistron1 Sun 03-Jul-11 09:35:57

All cat lovers should move next door to me. You'll find my house by searching for 'shit tsunami' on google earth. Or you could just sniff me out. Go north up the M5 and follow yer nose.

OracleInaCoracle Sun 03-Jul-11 09:38:58

lissie compromises on what? The timing of shit patrol? unfortunately if people are requesting cat owners to go around cleaning up all their shit, then the cat owner cannot fit in with everyones schedule. It would just become a designated job to be done at a time the owner can do it inbetween other jobs, work, childcare etc.

ummmm, and why not? I fit clearing up dog shit in with the rest of my household chores. again, its part of having a pet. you clean up after it. dont like it, dont have a pet.

meerkat, paying someone else to clean it up is a good idea. I would pay our neighbours son to walk our dog if we didnt want to or couldnt do it ourselves, that would involve picking up his crap. unfortunately the op thinks that cat shit somehow vapourises and doesnt need to be cleaned up because its clean and smells like roses before it evaporates into the air in the form of sunbeams!

Collaborate Sun 03-Jul-11 09:41:16

Alistron - probably tastes better and more nutritious than a turkey twizzler.

lockets Sun 03-Jul-11 09:47:12

Cuppacake Sun 03-Jul-11 09:49:14

PrettyMeerkat Cuppacake I don't particularly agree with keeping cats confined to flats either! Not sure where the dog thing came from but dogs get taken for walks and can run around their own garden. Is that really what your enclosure looks like?!

Yes Meerkat very much like that one but with more grass. When we made the decision to get the raggies, DH and I decided to build an enclosure before the first kittens came home. My cats are chipped, spayed, neutered, etc but I dont want them disappearing, getting hurt or worse!

Im not saying its for everyone but it has been the best thing we did. We had made the decision to get the cats and felt it was our responsibility to keep them safe and away from neighbours.

Catslikehats Sun 03-Jul-11 09:52:45

Why the obsession with whether the request is "normal"?

She has asked, which is entirely reasonable.

And again, why the obsession with the law? The reason that the laws relating to dogs and cats is different is because cats are free roaming and an individual cannot be held responsible for something he has no control over and is unaware is happening.

The fact that the law is so does not detract from the fact that a decent person would, on being made aware that their cat was shitting in someone elses garden would feel morally obliged to clean it up.

The fact that a law exists does not negate human responsibility to behave reasonably and with courtesy.

GreenEyesandHam Sun 03-Jul-11 09:56:47

Agree with QOD, it comes down to basic respect and good manners.

In fairness, Cuppa and others have said that they do clear up after their pets, so it's not all owners that lack manners.

And I've got to say, it seems like some people actually enjoy shit a little bit too much! confused

PrettyMeerkat Sun 03-Jul-11 10:06:14

I am going to go completely off subject as this thread made me think of it.

Why don't the dog owners accept responsibility when their dogs bite someone? Obviously not talking about every dog owner in the land, just the one's whose dogs have bitten me. I have been bitten 5 times throughout my life and not one owner said sorry or even accepted that their dog was in the wrong/said they would take them to doggy training school or ANYTHING! I wasn't poking the dogs with sticks or anything provocative, just doing normal things.

I honestly don't understand!

GreenEyesandHam Sun 03-Jul-11 10:08:23

I don't understand that either meerkat. Did you report them to the police?

lockets Sun 03-Jul-11 10:11:37

OracleInaCoracle Sun 03-Jul-11 10:12:14

meerkat, thats awful shock I would be mortified. because my dog is a jumper, he is tiny but can jump (as I said) 5ft quite easily, I dont let him approach people, or vice versa, without me being there. it really is about being responsible for your pet and accepting that not everyone thinks they are the precious babies that you think they are. I am entranced by everything benji does (especially when he goes to sleep cradled in my arms, on his back like a baby) but not everyone is.

Peachy Sun 03-Jul-11 10:13:53

Hmmm

Am a cat owner myself, but I;d try and work with her.

I;d suggest a weekly clar up if the poo is visible but tbh

A) litter trained cats IME tend to stick to litter anyway

B) there are other cats in the area so offer weekly then suggest she gets the other owners to fill in gaps

C) cats bury their poo so you can;t exactly strip the garden down- ask her how she plans to manage that aspect?

You could suggest ou buy her a cat scarer.

In fairness I was quite horrified when my neighbour, who was also my uni lecturer, started up in a class about how he wished he could shoot the neighbourhopod cats for pooing in his garden; i'd have much preferred he spoke to DH or I about it!

PrettyMeerkat Sun 03-Jul-11 10:17:12

No I didn't report it (more fool me), a couple were when I was little, I went home and told my parents and they did nothing about it. Perhaps because they were very minor wounds although they left me terrified of dogs for approx 20 years!

The others when I was an adult were all owned by friends whose houses I visited so it's not like I was attacked in the street or anything. In each occassion they blamed me. Said I was being too loud (really I'm not) or that the dog is old and grumpy, although no one warned me of that so how was I supposed to know!? Or that I shouldn't have touched the dog, even though I had been stroking the dog 10 mins earlier in front of them when it had it head on my lap and no one had said not to.

Mostly it just scared the crap out of me although one left a scar that you can only see when I have a tan.

GreenEyesandHam Sun 03-Jul-11 10:20:42

Ah ok.

No I agree, those are more examples of pet owners not taking responsibility for their animals behaviours.

I'm not a dog person or a cat person btw. I do actually like both, just don't want to own either (or clear their crap up)

HouseOfBamboo Sun 03-Jul-11 10:48:34

Yes it's all about responsibility.

And those who are fond of saying 'cats are such lovely clean animals' when you don't actually clean up after them is just wrong - come and check out how squeaky clean my veg patch is after your cat has paid a visit.

"longtalljosie, its hardly comparable!"

You're right, it's not. Cat shit has never woken me at 5am

OracleInaCoracle Sun 03-Jul-11 10:50:30

Longtalljosie Sun 03-Jul-11 10:49:18
"longtalljosie, its hardly comparable!"

You're right, it's not. Cat shit has never woken me at 5am

have you spoken to the dog owner about it?

OracleInaCoracle Sun 03-Jul-11 10:50:52

oh, and a dogs bark isnt riddled with disease.

pingu2209 Sun 03-Jul-11 11:00:45

Peachy I have read your idea to my husband and he thinks that is workable.

I will tell my neighbour that I will do a weekly poo collection from her garden for the poo that is clearly visable because her garden (like mine) is large with lots and lots of mature borders. However, ONLY if she gets the other householders who have cats in the streets around here to agree to the exact same weekly collection.

Fair enough. Then the neighbours will have someone in at least 4 or 5 times a week.

If she can get the neighbours with 2 massive black cats who live in the house at the back of both our gardens to do it, I will give her a round of applause!

pingu2209 Sun 03-Jul-11 11:01:11

To be frank the reason I think this idea is the workable one is because she will only speak to me that way, no one else.

HouseOfBamboo Sun 03-Jul-11 11:10:45

How is it a workable idea though if you think she won't ask the other people? confused

lissie - in the previous house, yes we did.

In this house, it's not the neighbours themselves who do it, it's their grown up children when they stay, possibly because the dog doesn't mix with the grandchildren. Which is fair enough and - as I pointed out upstream - one of the many inconveniences which are hand in glove with living amongst other people. Cats have been hanging out with people for 9,500 years (according to Wikipedia!), you won't stop it now

That's not a workable idea if you think the other neighbours are going to refuse and get you out of it too.

Has she told you why she is so certain that it is your cats? Because if she has seen them or the problem only started when you started to let them out then the other neighbours have nothing at all to do with this and you are just using them as an excuse to get out of cleaning up after your pets.

And you are inviting her to take the sort of action other people on here have spoken about before, the remedies with sharp sticks and pepper etc, which can apparently harm cats.

And if she does that and your cat is hurt or made ill then that will be your own fault because she has asked you for your help in solving the problem and you are not prepared to give it

pingu2209 Sun 03-Jul-11 12:24:45

It is workable because it is fair. Everyone with cats in the area to agree to clear up on a weekly basis.

Why should she think it is only okay for me to clean up.

LucaBrasi Sun 03-Jul-11 12:29:55

My neighbour's cats (now dead I think) used to crap all over my raised vegetable beds, scattering carefully sown seed and over lettuce etc. It was extremely annoying.

I have recently bought a kitten and am hoping she takes a liking to their peas (only kidding)

But yes, if the cat craps in their garden I don't think it's unreasonable that you clean it up. Or keep them inside. Or buy them some cat deterrent stuff.

TattyDevine Sun 03-Jul-11 12:33:04

I have a big furry persian cat. In the late summer/early Autumn, she feasts on those flying daddy long legs, which she catches and scoffs, and then gets the shits. All down her furry trousers. Ewwww.

I gave her a "bum bath" once it was so bad, it had dried on (we'd been away overnight and came home to her stinking and looking ashamed). Then she got cystitis sad because I was supposed to use baby shampoo apparently but my punishment for that was having to give the feral little fucker little darling antibiotics for 7 days wine

I was up early with stomach pains this morning (suspected peptic ulcer would you believe!) and I was reading this thread, and my cat got up on me and lay on my tummy and her furry warmth made me feel a little bit better. And I felt sorry for you miserable lot, though you do have a point, of course. No axe to grind though, my cat doesn't climb fences and she uses her litter exclusively as far as we are aware (she seems to come in from outside to do a wee in it, never mind a poo) but honestly I don't know what I'd do if she upset a neighbour - apologise and try and put it right, I suspect.

lockets Sun 03-Jul-11 12:36:28

Because maybe the only cats she has caught in the act are your cats? Maybe the problem only started when your cats started to go out. Maybe the other cats are shitting at home or in gardens other than hers.

And because they are your cats, and not her cats, it is fair that you have the joy of picking up after them.

You have cats and they are shitting somewhere, if not her garden then someone elses. She has no cats and a garden covered in cat shit. She seems to think it's coming from your cats and the right thing for you to do is help her clear it up.

Yes you might pick up a turd from a cat that isn't yours, but you will also be picking up the ones that your cats have done.

You will be helping one neighbour. As long as the entire street doesn't decide that only your cats are responsible and expect you to patrol every garden then you should be safe in the knowledge that you are dealing with the amount of shit your cats are responsible for, even if you aren't getting all of their shit or only their shit from her garden.

pingu2209 Sun 03-Jul-11 13:28:51

But she doesn't know for sure that it is my cats. That is a fact. She hasn't said, 'I have only just found cat shit'. I know for a fact that the 2 big black cats from the neighbours at the back of both our gardens go into her garden because I have seen them in her garden. I have also seen a black and white moggy in her garden - but I don't know who that owner is.

Therefore it is only fair that anyone with a cat does the cat shit duty.

The fact is she will ONLY ask me. She wouldn't dream of asking the owners (caretakers) of the 2 big black cats because their house is a massive barn of a place and they have luxury 4x4s and all the trappings of wealth. She asks me because she is continually looking down on me. She feels that it is fine for me to come and pick up poo, whether my cat or not, but wouldn't ask anyone else.

Her argument, therefore, must apply to all cat owners (caretakers) in the area.

When she asks again I will say that I will do it if the other neighbours with cats will do it. To be frank, if she asks them (which I will be bloody amazed if she does) and they agree to it, I will join with them and clear up the cat poo.

However, as I don't legally have to do it, and I think it is a bloody strange thing to ask anyone because in the hundreds and hundreds of years of cat ownership in the UK this is not a normal request at all. No I won't do it.

I am certainly not going to be at her beck and call. This is life in the UK. If you don't like the laws, lobby for them to be changed with a rational argument.

pingu2209 Sun 03-Jul-11 13:29:51

Also, remember I do have my cats litter tray and they do use it.

PrettyMeerkat Sun 03-Jul-11 13:39:11

pingu2209 I can see what you are getting it. I think I said earlier that I suspect that there has always been cat poo, but after realising you had got yourself some cats she decided to wait until they were allowed out to make a complaint to you about poo, and try to demean you by getting you to clear it up. She just sounds that type.

What about keeping your cat in for a few days and then wait for her to complain that there are fresh poos in her garden? You can tell her that they can't possibly have come from your cats and then watch her face. It would be fun anyway.

Waspie Sun 03-Jul-11 13:39:25

Well as long as you're legally allowed to let your cats shit anywhere then who gives a fuck about your ethical obligation to take responsibility for your pets, right?

TattyDevine Sun 03-Jul-11 13:42:19

From what you've said Pingu, she does sound a bit...I don't know, I can't quite put my finger on it, but a bit like she wants to put you in your place. It might simply be because she's outraged about cat shit but the other anecdotes you have mentioned don't quite sit well with me. I think she might just have a giant sized chip on her shoulder and my gut feeling is that rather than go and pick up shit from her garden you should somehow ensure they are not shitting in her garden (if possible - I know you are already pretty sure they are not) or do something preventative, though I know how hard that is. Somehow I can't help feeling that it wont be a good situation on an ongoing basis for you to be summonsed over there regularly to do your duty with rubber gloves, even if it is your duty, from an actual neighbourly relations point of view, paradoxically as technically it should be the right thing to do, morally, though agreed the law is on your side.

PrettyMeerkat Sun 03-Jul-11 13:43:07

Waspie I don't think this is about "ethical obligation" though. The OP has a litter tray which she has trained her cats to use and a toilet in the garden. Cats are impossible to clean up after if they poo far and wide. And the neighbour is using this to get at the OP, I doubt the poo is even coming from the OPs cats! The neighbour has seen an opportunity and is using it.

The neighbour has a dog! How bothered about poo can she be?!

HouseOfBamboo Sun 03-Jul-11 13:45:07

Well the truth is that few cat owners really give a shit - they let their cats do that for them. Arf.

OP - maybe you can feed your cats get some sort of fluorescent marker then go round with a UV torch. If the poo doesn't glow then don't clear it up!

PrettyMeerkat Sun 03-Jul-11 13:45:55

TattyDevine That was why I suggested the OP pay someone else to clear up the poo, so the neighbour doesn't get that satisfaction of seeing the OP "put in her place".

I don't suppose it would cost that much if it were once a week and you explained that it was visible poo as you can't dig through every flower bed in her garden every week!

PrettyMeerkat Sun 03-Jul-11 13:46:28

Glowing poo?! Genius!

strawberryjelly Sun 03-Jul-11 13:48:39

Do what others suggest- keep ypur cats in for a few days and see if thee is still poo.

Of course, it does seem a bit of a coincidence that she is complaining to you since you got your cats- which makes me think it IS your cats.

Even if other cats poo there, she has maybe thought enough is enough and decided to tackle you and your cats immediately, whereas it's harder with her other neighbours if she has let it go for years.

In either case you are in the wrong-the more you post the bigger fool you are looking- so stop digging and start clearing up.

PrettyMeerkat Sun 03-Jul-11 13:51:09

strawberryjelly a bit of a coincidence that she is complaining to you since you got your cats- which makes me think it IS your cats.

Or that she saw an opportunity to put the OP down and have a dig! That is also a bit of a coincidence!

strawberryjelly Sun 03-Jul-11 13:53:08

so you support the OP and her shitting cats?.

I doubt her neighbour is that petty and even if she is, shit is shit and it shouldn't be in her garden.

MissusTulip Sun 03-Jul-11 13:54:03

If I knew which neighbour's cats shit in my garden, yes I certainly would go and complain about it! I'm 24 weeks pregnant, so I really do not want toxoplasmosis for me or the birth defects it causes for my little one while I'm pregnant, nor the ongoing health risks after baby pops out and becomes mobile in our garden. The little bastards don't just shit in the flower / vegetable beds, they do leave little 'presents' in the grass too. So even tho I wear gardening gloves, there is still a risk of ambush when sitting on the lawn angry

I bought 2 battery operated ultrasonic repellents for about £14 each on amazon. They seem to be working, in that I haven't seen the little darlings or their waste since putting these up - so maybe buying these for your neighbour would be a different compromise, here have these and forget about you coming to poop gather? It would work out cheaper maybe, in terms of your time and effort and good neighbour relations?

Btw, if the repellents hadn't worked, the next step for me would be an air rifle or pellet gun and shooting the little fuckers in the arse. Maybe a supersoaker if I was in a good mood that day, but they're on my property causing a nuisance ad a major health hazard for me/ foetus and I have no way to know whose they are . I like cats but I have chosen not to have any until kids are big enough to deal with random shits, and not to end up harmed by my choice to have or not have cats.

Sorry but this is a health issue, not just about the hassle or weirdness of being asked to pick up poo. She may have issues with her immune system that means toxoplasmosis could be serious or fatal, or she may have kids or grandkids in her garden being exposed to cat poo. I would ask how she was so certain it was just your cats and not the whole neighbourhood's but that wouldn't stop me giving her a repellent!

Waspie Sun 03-Jul-11 14:02:37

PrettyMeerkat the title of the thread contains the words "asked me to pick up my cat's poo"

How can you doubt that it's her cats when she admits that it is her cats in the title of her thread? hmm

DoMeDon Sun 03-Jul-11 14:07:17

Haven't read whole thread but I'm with OP's last post - very reasonable. I'm not a cat person - used to hate it when next door's cat shat on our front garden (saw him doing it!!), cleaned it up myself, also when pg. I didn't say anything to neighbours - that's life - animals have roamed the land shitting wherever they like for quite some time and I think it'll carry on.

My deterrent of choice was banging on the window or chucking out a bucket of water. Pass it on to your annoying neighbour.

PrettyMeerkat Sun 03-Jul-11 14:21:33

*Waspie" She was just quoting what the neighbour said, that isn't the same as admitting it was her cats poo at all!

MissusTulip That's why you shouldn't do gardening when pregnant . . . obviously! Toxopasmosis is also spread by birds and hedgehogs. Once you've shot all the cats (YOU would be in the wrong if you did that) are you going to shoot the birds and hedgehogs as well?

Hang on - you have just got cats? The penny has dropped.

New cats. Turf war. Which will eventually be won by one of them. And they'll stop leaving turds out to mark territory.

Which means the arrival of your cats has sparked the spate of non-buried poo, but doesn't mean it's your cats doing the actual pooing, iyswim. Chances are it's actually your neighbours' cats, who had that garden marked as "theirs" and since the arrival of your cats, are now making their feelings clear.

PrettyMeerkat Sun 03-Jul-11 14:54:27

Longtalljosie That's a good point.

Waspie Sun 03-Jul-11 15:02:21

PreetyMeerkat - no she isn't. If she were saying that it was what the neighbour had said she would have said "neighbours wants me to pick up the cat's poo".

She then, in the first post, says "...they are also beginning to 'go' outside too"

She then repeats that it is her cat's poo and also that her mother has told her to pick up "her cat's poo" but her concern is soley with whether she has a legal responsibility to pick up her cat's poo.

Perhaps I'm being a pedant but it's very clear in this first post, and the thread title, that the OP believes her cat's are crapping in her neighbour's garden.

However, her only concern is whether she has a legal obligation to clear up after them.

After most of the respondent's said she was BU she then changed tack and said that perhaps it wasn't her cats after all hmm

She seems to believe that other people should clear up after her cats because she has no legal obligation to do so herself. I wonder if she also leaves used nappies and sanitary products in the toilets at department stores and supermarkets too. After all she has no legal requirement to put them in the disposal units, does she? The legality of the situation is the only thing she's concerned with and this is, in my opinion at least is wrong, she should consider the ethical responsibility also.

Absolutely rank and revoting attitude IMO.

Waspie Sun 03-Jul-11 15:03:37

apostrophe frenzy - sorry!

MissusTulip Sun 03-Jul-11 15:22:22

mwhahaha yes I am going to kill EVERY LIVING CREATURE that dares to vernture into my garden, perhaps with a small nuclear device. grin

Except that only cats poop out the live pathogen, so not sure why I'd have to take agin hedgehogs and birds? confused They can have the infection but can't pass it to humans in their poo... Never seen a hedgehog in my garden tho sad.

seriously prettymeerket I should give up using my garden because of 2 cats (as previously posted they poo everywhere]? [sceptical] Way to ignore my comments about a solution that worked for me (ultrasonic repellents) and suggestion for OP as well, in favour of jumping on something I haven't actually done confused but posted as part of a rant about cat poo.

OracleInaCoracle Sun 03-Jul-11 15:40:48

Agree with waspie although you left out the bit where the op dstated that she got cats just so she wouldn't have to clean up after them. V responsible attitude.

clutteredup Sun 03-Jul-11 15:51:40

I love animals but don't have time to look after clear up after them with a busy life so we chose not to have them, we encourage birds in our garden and have frogs in our pond and DD syas these are our pets. We have new neighbours and now we have a cat which poos in our garden , kills birds and leaves them on the lawn and climbs up our trellis damaging our roses which have finally come to fruition after 3 years of hard work and TLC.
So pIngu YABU - it's not fair that you should make choices which impinge on other people so much and them be upset when they complain.
(Does sound like she's looking for reasons to be annoyed with/ rude to you, but in this case I'd say she had a point.)
'No one cleans up cat poo' unless it's in your own garden and you don't want to stand in it or have the DC drag it through the house.

giraffesCantZumba Sun 03-Jul-11 16:21:55

I have no legal obligation to help old ladies cross the road, let cars in or use manners. But if I never did any of those things I would be a bit of an arsehole.

Saggyoldclothcatpuss Sun 03-Jul-11 16:27:07

I choose to encourage wildlife in my garden, an accept it's presence. I live in the country. It's nature. However, I don't consider cats as nature. They are pets. The responsibility of an owner. Passing wildlife is one thing, regular toileting by the local moggies is quite another. Cats go repeatedly in the same area. If I wanted to clean up 365 cat shits a year from the gravel under my kitchen window, I'd buy a fucking cat! It stinks. It's unpleasant, unhygienic and the product of someone else's pet. I have horses. I encourage them to shit in the paddock. I clear it up myself. Doesn't mean I welcome dog shit from trespassing walkers. If you deliberately pick a pet because you legally don't have to clean it's shit up when it goes on someone else's property, YABU!
And I dont need to get a grip, or stop whingeing. I just need for other people's pets to stop shitting in my garden!

PrettyMeerkat Sun 03-Jul-11 16:33:17

Cats aren't nature? Really? hmm

Offski Sun 03-Jul-11 16:34:27

Personally I can't stand stepping in other peoples cat and dog poo in my
own garden then trailing it through my house so she is definately not bu.

lockets Sun 03-Jul-11 16:38:14

Saggyoldclothcatpuss Sun 03-Jul-11 16:39:26

No. They are domesticated pets. (unless they are British wildcats, and I bet they don't shit in people's flower beds!) And if you can't be bothered to clean up after them when politely requested, you shouldnt have them.
I bet you clean the cat shit up in your own garden.

PrettyMeerkat Sun 03-Jul-11 16:54:50

I consider ALL animals to be part of nature, whether they happen to live in the wild, a zoo, or in someone's house!

Saggyoldclothcatpuss Sun 03-Jul-11 17:16:52

Well bully for you! I however do not. My garden, my choice of who gets to shit in it. My dog does a great job of chasing cats away!

fairydoll Sun 03-Jul-11 17:18:23

'Good for her. You own a cat, it's your responsibility not hers! I'd be chucking back over your fence or leaving it on your doorstep, frankly.'

I'd be posting it back through your letterbox smile

PrettyMeerkat Sun 03-Jul-11 17:59:00

Your choice of who gets to shit in your garden?! grin Seriously that had me laughing so much! So you dictate which animals get to be considered to be nature on your land and if they are considered (by YOU) nature they are allowed to poo! Your a bit er . . . what's the word? Nope, only non pc ones pop to mind.

You do realise that all those going on about moral obligations bla bla bla but then saying you will post poo through letter boxes, shoot cats, put down poison etc are showing yourselves to be no more moral then the OP?

PrettyMeerkat Sun 03-Jul-11 18:08:12

For what it's worth I have cats of my own, and I have also had trouble with cat poo in my garden. My cats are trained to go in my own garden but unfortunately chose an area really close to the house. There was soooo much poo as neighbouring cats (plus there were fox poos etc) took to this spot. It was so stinky due to volume alone. I can't smell the odd one here or there (you lot must have a keen sense of smell) only when there is loads of it unburied.

The only reason it was unburied was because of lots of snow we had when all the cats couldn't dig, so poo'd on the snow and then it melted!

The solution was to cover the toilet area in every cheap pot I could find leaving absolutely no room for them to squat and so no more poo. They started going further down the garden, which is fine with me.

I have nearly always had cats and have NEVER had a single complaint or heard of anyone in real life complaining about cat poo and asking for it to be removed. Which is why I agree with the OP that it is a very unusual request.

I was trying to think what I would do in that situation. If mine were the only cats in the area I would possibly try to come to some agreement with the neighbour or suggest they water pistol my cats etc. The problem is in this case that the neighbour is clearly only mentioning it to be vindictive. She looks down her nose at the OP and clearly thinks she shouldn't be living where she is as she looks like she left school at 16. Unlike the other neighbours with cats who have a massive house.

The poo isn't the problem, it's that the neighbour doesn't like the OP!

vnmum Sun 03-Jul-11 19:05:56

I agree with prettymeerkat, I actually think that the neighbours problem is with OP not the cat shit and is using it as an excuse to belittle her. I think pingus suggestion of all the other neighbours mucking in with the poo patrol is a very good one considering her neighbours demeanour and past comments. It at least would prove if the problem was genuinely cat shit or the neighbours issue of looking down on the OP. If she won't ask the other neighbours then her problem is not the cat shit
tulip I know you were having a rant but if you shot a cat with an air rifle or pellet gun you would have the rspca and police knocking on your door. That is much worse than putting a cat in a wheelie bin and that lady didn't get away with it

OracleInaCoracle Sun 03-Jul-11 19:07:24

It was so stinky due to volume alone. I can't smell the odd one here or there (you lot must have a keen sense of smell) only when there is loads of it unburied.

but you have cats, therefore you wont smell it. I have no doubt that our house smells of dog, just because we cant smell it doesnt mean that others cant.

tbh, i think the neighbour hating her "thing" is a bit of a red herring. they might not get on, the neighbour might be a bitch, but things wont be helped by the op's attitude to her cats crap. and have you seriously never heard anyone complaining about cats crapping in their garden? buried or not (and lets assume for the sake of argument that all cats bury their poo) they bury it in the flowerbeds. not good for flowers and not nice for the owners of the flowerbeds. noone is responsible for hedgehogs, or foxes, or badgers. I dont know anyone who would keep a fox or other wild animal as a pet. they are different to cats.

Journey Sun 03-Jul-11 19:14:01

You should pick up your cat's poo if it does it in your neighbour's garden. Why should your neighbour have to put pick it up? Your cat. Your responsibility. I think it is disgusting that cat owners take so little responsibility for their cat's poo.

Saggyoldclothcatpuss Sun 03-Jul-11 19:32:18

So I am to be laughed at, because I don't want other people's pets shitting in my garden, the garden of the property I pay the mortgage on, and choose to actively chase away cats who try. But the op who specifically gets cats because she is too bone idle to clear her own Pets shit up, and is happy for those pets to crap in her neighbours gardens, is NBU?!
Well I don't give a shit what you think.
I am country born and bred and appreciate nature. I also have two dogs, five horses and several small pets. All of which I bear full responsibility for.
the definition of nature is not really the issue here, the issue is whether the ops neighbour is BU to ask her to take responsibility for her animals.
IMO the neighbour is NBU. If she wanted cat shit in her own garden, she would get her own cat.

PrettyMeerkat Sun 03-Jul-11 19:32:38

but you have cats, therefore you wont smell it. I have no doubt that our house smells of dog, just because we cant smell it doesnt mean that others cant.

But your house doesn't smell of dog poo. Neither does my house smell of cat poo so why would I be immune to the smell! It's not like a smoker not smelling smoke because they are covered in it . . . I am not covered in cat poo!

pingu2209 Sun 03-Jul-11 19:32:43

My neighbour has asked me again. I was out putting rubbish in the wheelie bin and she called my name over the fence. I said that it was unreasonable to expect me to come round at her beck and call when one of my cats pooed in her garden. It was also unreasonable for me to regularly search her garden for any poo that may or may not be my cat.

I suggested to her that if she were to speak to the neighbours behind us and the owner of the black and white cat then perhaps the 3 households can do it once a week each.

She said that she couldn't ask the other houses as she didn't know them.

OracleInaCoracle Sun 03-Jul-11 19:38:18

meerkat, but your garden has cat shit in it. so you wont smell it as much. I know when a cat has crapped in my garden because I can smell it. I dont have super nostrils, I dont own a cat, so I notice the smell more readily. why are you so intent on refusing to believe that cat shit is an issue for a lot of people?

pingu, maybe offer to go with her to see the neighbours.

sheeplikessleep Sun 03-Jul-11 19:39:03

Reminds me that a colleague of mine was furious after discovering her moggy coming back with glass in its paws (her neighbour had put broken glass in their pot plants).

hocuspontas Sun 03-Jul-11 19:40:25

Hopefully she replied that it will not be unreasonable of her then to just lob it over the fence into your garden for you to clear up in your own good time.

Saggyoldclothcatpuss Sun 03-Jul-11 19:47:01

Maybe we could find out where Meerkat lives, then go round and shit in her garden. See how she likes it?! grin

OracleInaCoracle Sun 03-Jul-11 19:48:23

I could send my dog round, after all, they are all animals and its only poo...

smartyparts Sun 03-Jul-11 19:50:06

Haven't read entire thread but, to me, OP's neighbour sounds like a loon.

Who would ask this of a neighbour? I mean, really!

Cats crap indiscriminately in gardens - that's a fact of suburban living.

The idea of asking my neighbours to pop over to scoop up some cat turds is absolutely ludicrous.

OracleInaCoracle Sun 03-Jul-11 19:54:38

Cats crap indiscriminately in gardens - that's a fact of suburban living

well, thats ok then!
I mean, how dare the neighbour be upset that the garden she has spent time and money on is being shat on daily by her neighburs cat! maybe dog owners should stop clearing up their dog's turds when we walk them, after all.... its a fact of urban living isnt it?

I wish I'd had the nerve to do what the op's neighbour did! just because its not usual, doesnt mean its not right.

manicmummyonadietcokebreak Sun 03-Jul-11 20:07:27

Good on your neighbour! I have 3 cats, there my responsibility and I clean up there mess, we decide to t have our children and pets so we must take the responsibility for them. You may think it's cruel to keep them locked up but what about the wildlife they destroy? You can't use the excuse that they are classed as wild animals, as they have been breed for thousands of years for our enjoyment, I've scene a few beautiful birds been ripped apart by people's cats, and it's awful. I have to restrict my children's access to my own gdn because of others pets using my sons sand pit (a birthday gift) as a litter tray. And I have had to clean strangers animals mess up whilst pregnant, well done ro her for having the guts to say something, I wish I had the guts to say something to my neighbours, although I'm sure there response wouldn't be so polite as yours. Or maybe one day I'll just shove it through there letter boxes like I've dreamt off grin

smartyparts Sun 03-Jul-11 20:10:46

We don't own a cat but have 3 neighbourhood cats that crap in our flowerbeds and borders. As my kids tend not to romp through these areas and stay on the lawns, I can't see it being a problem for us. Also, the cats I know, bury their turds. They never do any damage to any plants either.

Cat shit is undoubtedly a huge annoyance to some, and a potential health hazard but really, would anyone ask a neighbour to pick it up? It just seems so antagonistic.

PrincessScrumpy Sun 03-Jul-11 20:22:13

I would buy her some stuff you sprinkle to stop cats pooing in your garden - or curry powder is supposed to work. Without photographic evidence how do you know it came from your cat?

I know it's frustrating but not in your control like a dog would be!

curly is a highly irresponsible pet owner who goes against cats protection and RSPCA advice. Cats should not be confined to indoors. If it wasn't your cat pooing it could be a fox or a hedgehog (no, they're not toilet trained either!)

HouseOfBamboo Sun 03-Jul-11 20:25:36

A lot of people would probably like to ask their neighbours to clean their cat's shit up, but don