MN Jury please say I am not bu!

(173 Posts)
frownieface Sun 19-Jun-11 19:05:05

Rinsing mince, yes really.

I think that the idea of cooking a packet of mince, rinsing it (using a colander) then putting it back in the pan is well, weird.

Fair enough skimming the crap that comes off it, but rinsing it takes away all the flavour of the meat.

This has been a long-standing argument between me and dp.

I appreciate your input grin

TrilllianAstra Fri 24-Jun-11 18:49:16

If you'd put "do you rinse mince" in the thread title everyone would've thought this was a Friday night thread.

TrilllianAstra Fri 24-Jun-11 18:46:01

Won't you lose all the good meatyness?

Is he a blaster of pasta?

Does he bleach a peach?

He's clearly a nutter OP.

nocake Thu 23-Jun-11 21:21:49

I think it's very strange but I googled it and found this.

I think the theory is that it removes some of the fat but of course it doesn't.

joannita Thu 23-Jun-11 21:04:28

Rinsing mince is highly suspect behaviour! Does he also iron socks?

schroeder Thu 23-Jun-11 21:04:17

<falls over> Scampering is a bad idea after 3 glasses of wine hmm

schroeder Thu 23-Jun-11 21:03:05

Isn't that a Nigella story <scampers to book shelf>

cory Thu 23-Jun-11 08:11:02

A slotted spoon is the answer. After cooking.

diddl Thu 23-Jun-11 07:43:04

Oh yes, I also drain the fat away.

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Thu 23-Jun-11 06:22:23

diddl - when I cook the mince, and loads of fat is floating on the top of the water and I drain it, I have convinced myself that by actually rinsing the gravy, I am getting rid of fat coated round it that simply draining will leave there.

If you use the fatty water to make gravy, then you are eating the fat, obviously, but most people drain the water. I just think that each strand of mince has fat clinging to it that a good blast with really hot water will get rid of. I may well be totally deluding myself (I probably am) grin but I feel better, which makes it nicer to tuck into.

I have a thing about fat on meat. Makes me heave.

iscream Thu 23-Jun-11 02:58:18

It may soak up the fat, but you are also soaking it up when you consume it.
I only buy lean or extra lean, but fat makes me sick. I don't eat hot dogs, corned beef, pastrami, and only a rare bit of bacon because of it.

howabout Wed 22-Jun-11 09:17:04

My Grannie had a butcher in the family, so only ever bought mince if she saw the actual cut of meat being minced in front of her.
Re rinsing I think it is unhygienic as it spreads meat bugs all over the kitchen and cooking kills anything you would wash off.
I add lentils to my mince as well as veg and so this makes it go further and also soaks up any excess fat.

Buda Wed 22-Jun-11 09:14:01

Funny story! grin

exoticfruits Wed 22-Jun-11 09:08:54

Love that story, IntheNightKitchen grin

InTheNightKitchen Wed 22-Jun-11 09:01:28

A mother was teaching her daughter, soon to leave home, how to cook brisket. 'You take the brisket, like this, cut the end off, put it in the pan...' 'Hang on, said the daughter, why do you cut the end off?' 'That's just how you do it, that's how Granny taught me.' 'OK'
But the mum is wondering now, so she phones Granny. 'Hello mum, do you remember how you told me to cook brisket?' 'Of course, you take the meat, you cut the end off, you put it in the pan,' 'But why do you need to cut the end off?' 'That's just how it's done, you always do it that way.' 'Do you think Great-Granny might know?' 'Of course, it was her that taught me the recipe.'
So the next time the family visit Great-Granny they ask her about the brisket. 'I've always done it the same way', she says, 'I take the piece of brisket, put it in the pan...' 'Hang on', ask the others 'What about cutting the end off?'
'Oh, I don't need to do that anymore.' she said. 'My old pan was too small, I've got a new one now.'

Blatherskite Wed 22-Jun-11 07:57:49

Yes, my Grandad was a butcher. I probably know too much for my own good.

I won't, for example, eat Black Pudding even if paid <boak>

exoticfruits Wed 22-Jun-11 07:30:24

I do the same Blatherskite-a little goes a long way. What I wouldn't do is buy cheap mince-I'm sure that if I watched it being minced it would make me feel ill!

Blatherskite Wed 22-Jun-11 07:17:17

I buy a small pack of good quality mince then double it with grated carrot and courgette if I'm making bolognese/lasagne.

The texture is similar so the kids don't notice, it adds loads of vitamins and minerals and taste and it means I don't have to buy floor scrapings cheap mince and rinse it - everyone's a winner smile

diddl Wed 22-Jun-11 07:15:40

"I rinse. Have you seen how much fat comes off mince?"

How does rinsing get rid of the fat?

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Wed 22-Jun-11 07:06:27

I agree. When you eat meat, you should not feel like you are eating the rubber off the top of a pencil! grin

exoticfruits Wed 22-Jun-11 06:59:12

I wouldn't buy cheap, economy mince-I would rather not eat meat at all.

lesley33 Wed 22-Jun-11 06:40:45

My father does this with cheap economy mince to get rid of fat and other crap. But not with good quality mince.

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Wed 22-Jun-11 06:37:07

I rinse. Have you seen how much fat comes off mince? <shudder> No thanks. I can live without that clogging up my arteries grin And it tastes just as nice without the fat.

Buda Wed 22-Jun-11 06:09:34

Loving all the rhyming! You are a funny lot.

Rinsing mince after cooking was a tip from the days when low-fat was the latest thing. The idea was to cook the mince, drain, put in a colander and pour hot water over it to remove more fat. It does remove flavour obv but if you are using in something like bolognaise or something and adding herbs etc. you wouldn't notice so much.

Am I really old if I remember when low fat was just becoming the latest thing?

iscream Wed 22-Jun-11 05:22:24

I usually rinse it. My friend adds water after it's cooked, brings it to a boil and dumps the water out. My reason is I don't seem to feel well after consuming fat or grease. Maybe I will try blotting it with paper towels after straining the fat off instead, if you all say it makes it bland. I never noticed.
I guess I would live if I didn't rinse, I never kicked the bucket after eating meatballs or hamburgers etc..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now