MN Jury please say I am not bu!

(173 Posts)
frownieface Sun 19-Jun-11 19:05:05

Rinsing mince, yes really.

I think that the idea of cooking a packet of mince, rinsing it (using a colander) then putting it back in the pan is well, weird.

Fair enough skimming the crap that comes off it, but rinsing it takes away all the flavour of the meat.

This has been a long-standing argument between me and dp.

I appreciate your input grin

ewwww

homeboys Sun 19-Jun-11 19:19:49

i rinse - tastes rank if you dont

diddl Sun 19-Jun-11 19:20:07

Rinse hot, cooked mince with cold water?-very wierd imo.

Could possibly understand rinsing some raw mince-but cooked?confused

GingerWrath Sun 19-Jun-11 19:20:14

Doesn't the fat recongeal though?

Pictish Sun 19-Jun-11 19:20:30

Rinsing mince??!! confused

That's just a tiny nugget of madness surely?

exoticfruits Sun 19-Jun-11 19:21:08

No I wouldn't.

JasonandtheAgaNorks Sun 19-Jun-11 19:21:23

YANBU. I don't rinse the mince either. Tis weird.

fatlazymummy Sun 19-Jun-11 19:22:31

No I wouldn't rinse it, but some people do this with everything. With mince I dry fry it then pour off excess fat. That is the same with economy or lean.
Cooking kills any germs anyway. My mum did used to wash a chicken then stand it upright, she also used to soak vegetables in salt water for hours, I just give them a quick rinse.

dizzydel Sun 19-Jun-11 19:22:33

I know someone that rinses mince under the hot running tap after browning... Yuk!

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tigercametotea Sun 19-Jun-11 19:25:16

Okay. In the early days when I was still learning to cook, I used to rinse all the meat that I cook before actually throwing it in the pan - because you can't be sure how clean were the hands/machines/tools which went into cutting/processing the meat. But mince I never rinsed because it seemed a bit too messy to do and I didn't want to use the colander for raw meat. But I would rinse chicken fillets, chops, etc. prior to cooking them.

But that was nearly a decade ago. Over the years I gradually just stopped doing it. I never do it these days. I just don't see the need for it, its like an extra thing I have to do on top of food preparation and cooking, and I think its totally unnecessary now. In my experience, the meat tastes the same whether I rinse them or not, and I don't think we ever got food poisoning either way. Just make sure your meat's cooked properly before serving and don't cook it past expiry unless its been frozen before.

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Sun 19-Jun-11 19:31:53

Rinse mince? That's not just weird; it's seriously off the wall.

Would your dh run a lovingly cooked roast rib of beef under the tap, and then make gravy using a kettle of boiling water and gravy granules?

Tell him that his ludicrous habit may block your kitchen waste pipes/drain.

YANBU - but he definitely is.

bitemabum Sun 19-Jun-11 19:36:49

I can honestly say i have never heard of "rinsing mince". It might even be just about the wierdest thing I've ever heard, but each to their own and all that.

Ugh no, why would you do that?? But then some people cook it in milk. Don't know why the hell you'd do that either.

sue52 Sun 19-Jun-11 19:40:26

I wash all meat before I cook it. I can't see why you would rinse cooked meat.

soverylucky Sun 19-Jun-11 19:41:25

I have never rinsed my mince.

springbokscantjump Sun 19-Jun-11 19:44:25

ughy ughy ughy. For some reason I find this really gross.

sungirltan Sun 19-Jun-11 19:48:15

i have been known to drain off the fat but rinsing mince is just pointless. there are no surfectants in water so not much fat would come off the mince anyway.

but then i dont wash veg either so what do i know?

LynnCSchreiber Sun 19-Jun-11 19:48:25

Utter madness. And a good bit disgusting.

Washing meat (including chicken) is unnecessary and only increases the risk of food poisoning.

SlackSally Sun 19-Jun-11 19:48:29

This has to be one of the most bizarre food-related habits I've ever heard.

Does he hate flavour?

SlackSally Sun 19-Jun-11 19:49:43

Does he rinse other cooked meat?

So, if you bought a lovely steak, and fried it, would he run it under the tap?

This would, seriously, make me reassess my opinion of the person. It's SO illogical.

KilledBill Sun 19-Jun-11 19:52:06

Does he have a diagnosis of OCD, or are you still waiting?

GrimmaTheNome Sun 19-Jun-11 19:52:38

>But then some people cook it in milk. Don't know why the hell you'd do that either.
I believe its supposed to make it more tender... but whoever has encountered tough mince anyway?

I get lean minced steak, there is no excess fat to drain off.

But even if it wasn't that lean, your DP is weird.

Pictish Sun 19-Jun-11 19:53:38

"Does he do any other rhyming but otherwise illogical things? Is there a theme?"

Ha ha - does he freeze cheese?

eurochick Sun 19-Jun-11 19:58:47

Never heard of it. And washing any raw meat increases the risk of splashing raw meat nasties around the place. It's a bad idea. You are about to cook it - that will kill anything on it more effectively than a rinse under the tap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now