MN Jury please say I am not bu!

(173 Posts)
frownieface Sun 19-Jun-11 19:05:05

Rinsing mince, yes really.

I think that the idea of cooking a packet of mince, rinsing it (using a colander) then putting it back in the pan is well, weird.

Fair enough skimming the crap that comes off it, but rinsing it takes away all the flavour of the meat.

This has been a long-standing argument between me and dp.

I appreciate your input grin

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MoonGirl1981 Sun 19-Jun-11 19:06:17

I don't wash mince.

It's honestly never occured to me to do so!!

Happylander Sun 19-Jun-11 19:07:05

If it is cheap crappy mince that's pumped full of water then not so weird but I would just drain the fluid away. Good lean mince then very weird as you'll lose the flavour. I had same arguement with my DH.

supadupapupascupa Sun 19-Jun-11 19:07:11

shock

Never rinse mince, why would you?

Are you sure he hadn't dropped it on the floor?

Chipotle Sun 19-Jun-11 19:08:03

Nope, I don't wash mince either. I find the thought of washing mince quite odd! smile

Hassled Sun 19-Jun-11 19:08:10

Why on earth would you rinse minse? What exactly is it you're trying to rinse away?

OpusProSerenus Sun 19-Jun-11 19:08:52

Somebody told me to do this once as a weight loss thing (it might have been at WW but can't remember). It makes it totally tasteless IMO

usualsuspect Sun 19-Jun-11 19:09:13

I've never rinsed my mince [sound rude] grin

GingerWrath Sun 19-Jun-11 19:09:14

confused Surely just drain any excess liquid whilst frying, doesn't rinsing it make it all soggy and mushy?

I don't rinse, but i do tip it into a colander, and drain the fat into a bowl, or turn up the heat sharply and drain the fat with the lid open a tad?

Not rinsing under water though that is new to me! Cold water? Wouldn't this just solidify the fat back to the mince again? Dropping the temp sharply you'd need to make sure it was thoroughly reheated again in case of food poisoning.

If i were him i'd get one of those lakeland thingies where you put ice in and it draws the fat from food.

And use a dry frying pan....

Sorry to sit on the fence smile

BluddyMoFo Sun 19-Jun-11 19:09:37

I've never heard of the like! confused

Baronetdawntigga Sun 19-Jun-11 19:11:16

I rinse meat but not mince.

Don'tAskMeWhyIRinseMeatIAlwaysHaveCosMyGranDidTiggaxx

HowlingBitch Sun 19-Jun-11 19:11:35

I have never heard of that. Who on earth do you know that rinses mince (Tis fun to say tho. Mince rinse) grin

FlubbaBubba Sun 19-Jun-11 19:11:47

Leave him! He's clearly bonkers!! grin

HTH wink

GingerWrath Sun 19-Jun-11 19:12:30

Binfull I think OP means rinsing raw mince (hope I am right cause rinsing cooked would be even more gross!)

Asinine Sun 19-Jun-11 19:14:13

since when did people rinse mince?... makes me wince grin

But how would rinsing cold raw mince in cold water get the fat off????

Try putting some marg or lard on the back of your had and run it under the tap....it will not come off!

Again, not warm water surely, that sounds a bit iffey for microbes and the like?!

I rinse whole chickens, but mainly for hygiene.

diddl Sun 19-Jun-11 19:16:56

I´m a fat drainer not a rinsergrin

frownieface Sun 19-Jun-11 19:17:22

Nope cooked mince GingerWrath, he will cook it in the pan put the mince in a colander rinse the shit out of it (so that it goes a grey-brown colour) then put it back in the pan.

Its lean mince, OK so maybe I could understand doing that to economy-not-really-mince mince.

Why the hell would you do that?

HowlingBitch Sun 19-Jun-11 19:18:54

Oppsie didn't read the whole thing. Who cares what he does with his mince as long as he's cooking it and you're eating it! grin

Tell him to stop it, or you'll start washing his white work shirts in your urine because that's the most effective way to get stains out apparently....

SecretNutellaFix Sun 19-Jun-11 19:19:27

wash cooked mince? wtf?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now