To think zumba isn't in fact the best! thing! ever!

(92 Posts)
ShushBaby Thu 02-Jun-11 17:17:49

I mean, it's relatively fun, as exercise classes go. The bogling, for example, I quite enjoyed. But before I went for the first time last night, I was expecting some sort of exercise epiphany. People are practically evangelical about it.
But for me it was, well, an aerobics class. A big one.

And the 'ditch the workout, join the party' tagline? I'm not sure it felt like a party- more an excuse to get as many people as poss into a gym, and therefore as much cash as poss.

I'll go again. But I was really expecting a lot. And it was just... fine.

Am I missing something?

Hassled Thu 02-Jun-11 17:20:26

I have no idea, never having been, but the people I know on FB who do it go "Whoop! Whoop! Zumba! at lot and it makes me want to kill them.

said Thu 02-Jun-11 17:20:40

Just the name puts me off plus the fact it's exercise, of course

ShushBaby Thu 02-Jun-11 17:21:45

Yes it was Facebook which sucked me in! I feel a bit left out of 'the party'- is there something I'm just not getting? Do I need to bogle a bit harder to really feel the zumba love?

FoxyRevenger Thu 02-Jun-11 17:23:23

Oh thank god. Now I don't have to go.

FoxyRevenger Thu 02-Jun-11 17:24:08

And what the hell is bogling? Sounds like some sort of Scottish hillwalking-related pastime.

Pandemoniaa Thu 02-Jun-11 17:25:47

Me and several of my friends are totally anti-Zumba. Not least because of the ridiculous hype.

ShushBaby Thu 02-Jun-11 17:26:10

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z22u34dimq4

foxyrevenger, you are welcome.

mosschops30 Thu 02-Jun-11 17:26:32

It deffo depends on the teacher too.
At my old club i loved zumba, the teacher was amazing, but at my new club, shes shit and i walked out halfway through the last class it was so bad.
Im now a body combat addict

ShushBaby Thu 02-Jun-11 17:29:23

Ah Body Combat. Bloody hard work but great. I am a bit of a sucker for exercise crazes- Body Pump and so on. But usually they do live up to the hype- British Military Fitness for example I loved but since having a baby cannot be arsed to do. So you see am not general naysayer, but quite dismayed at emperor's new clothes-ness of Zumba.

FoxyRevenger Thu 02-Jun-11 17:30:39

Ooooh, that's called bogling? Every day's a school day on MN grin

cantpooinpeace Thu 02-Jun-11 17:32:45

YES! Totally agree I just thought it was ok, would much rather do it to current songs than generic Latin shite smile

Have been twice, will probably go every now and again.

mrsravelstein Thu 02-Jun-11 17:35:24

i have a fb friend who teaches zumba, about 5 classes a day every day (it's obviously popular) and who posts endless status updates with lots of 'shake it baby' etc...

jeckadeck Thu 02-Jun-11 17:38:50

Massively over-rated. Tries to please everyone with a bit of bland middle of the road ethnic-style dance and misses on all counts. If you want to do latin, for example, you're better off doing a salsa class. And you don't really get fit either: I did it on and off for about a year and never once broke a sweat. I think its largely for the kind of person who wants to do something "ethnic" but without really entering into the spirit. The kind of people who celebrate "diversity" because there's a thai restaurant in the high street and they listen to banghra but don't have a single non-white friend.

PatTheHammer Thu 02-Jun-11 17:43:49

I've been a few times and switched to spin instead as I wasn't co-ordinated enough and wasn't breaking a sweat. I also hated the music, so cheesy!

I love combat, pump, balance, circuits, spin and boot camp but Zumba is a definite no-no for me. Would rather just go out for a run!

Also the FB Zumba 'whoopers', I've got a few of those too........what is that!

ShushBaby Thu 02-Jun-11 19:15:22

So is anybody here a closet zumba whooper? Come out come out!

pink4ever Thu 02-Jun-11 19:23:49

You are all talking shite-I love Zumba!! Go twice a week and sweat buckets!!(admittedly I am probably not the fittest person in the world). I love it because I love dancing and it is basically just a form of dance aerobics. Would love to do a real salsa class but sadly there are none available in my area.
Zumba-Whoop whoop!!!!!

manicinsomniac Thu 02-Jun-11 20:58:04

Hooray,finally a thread that isn't raving about the wonders of zumba.

I'm left completely cold by it. Repetitive, almost embarrassinglyly basic choreography that doesn't deserve the word exercise as far as I'm concerned.

BettySuarez Fri 01-Jul-11 00:15:53

I have tried two Zumba classes. One was bog standard to say the least and I felt totally uninspired.

But the second class I tried was FAB. A lot of it is down to the teacher but it's a great class with a great atmosphere and we are absolutley exhausted at the end of it.

But I do agree that a lot of the 'whoa whoa' on Facebook gets a bit tiresome smile

LDNmummy Fri 01-Jul-11 01:29:45

Well I believe my local class is one of the best but I am waiting to have my LO before venturing there.

I have been wondering whether it was actually over hyped or worth it so will watch this with interest.

I do think as with any excercise, it will depend heavily on the instructor.

StableButDeluded Fri 01-Jul-11 01:52:28

I do zumba three times a week when i can and i can tell you it totally depends on the quality of the teaching. Did you know that anyone can become a Zumba teacher just by taking a two-day course? and I mean anyone-you don't have to have any previous dance or exercise knowledge, you just pay your money, learn a few basic routines and bingo! You can call yourself a qualified zumba instructor. No wonder so many of you have had crap classes.

I was absolutley gobsmacked when my instructor told me that. She even said some of the people gave up half way through on her course and moaned about how hard the course was-but they still 'passed'. Shocking.

I think my instructor is one of the best. She's a qualified dance instructor who has toured internationally with Spirit Of The Dance and various Broadway productions for several years. She's doing zumba classes and ballet/tap/jazz now because she wantsa break from the touring life.

She's lovely, her classes are hard work but inspiring, she puts a lot of effort into working out enjoyable routines and very importantly, she knows how to do a proper and safe warm up and cool-down. And even she sweats when she's doing them, so they must be good! More fun than boring old aerobics.

StableButDeluded Fri 01-Jul-11 01:53:32

But I've never heard of 'bogling'-WTF is that?

housemum Thu 07-Jul-11 14:52:19

Shushbaby's link above shows bogling - looks like a cheesy 70's dance move with a bit more of a tummy wiggle. You know the dance your OH or Dad (depending how young you are!) does - points fingers like 2 guns and waves them in front while they wiggle - embarassing.

charliejosh Thu 07-Jul-11 14:59:13

YANBU, Zumba is utter shoite.

mauricetinkler Thu 07-Jul-11 15:01:40

Zumba should be banned. Only half-witted idiots are flocking to do it IMO.

notso Thu 07-Jul-11 15:05:36

I enjoy Zumba mostly because I like to laugh at my Mum shaking her ass.
I usually hate exercise in general classes except pilates, but to get me out the house for a laugh Zumba is fine.
Thankfully no whooping in my class and the instructor does her own choreography.

manicinsomniac Thu 07-Jul-11 15:21:07

I wrote a very harsh opinion about Zumba further up this thread.

That was a month ago. I happened to try one more Zumba class last week as it was the only class I could make that day. There was a cover instructor from another town and she was absolutely awesome. Around 18 years old at a guess and a very good dancer. She was enthusiastic, didn't stop and made the routines decently difficult.

So I apologise for my previous comment. There are good instructors out there who can make it a reasonable work out.

The comment about instructors not needing to be experienced or proficient dancers explains a lot about the variation in quality, difficulty and benefit of the classes.

BilboBloggins Thu 07-Jul-11 15:25:12

It's shit - I've broken more of a sweat putting the bins out.

The steps are too complicated for me, so I feel like I can't put enough into it to call it a work out because I'm always playing catch up.

Body Pump I absolutely LOVE though!

PuppyMonkey Thu 07-Jul-11 15:32:50

I've started going and think it's quite a laugh, but I have been hmm by everyone around me sweating absolute buckets and looking like they've run three marathons within 20 minutes, while I'm there never having even midly perspired. You can tell they're all thinking "she's not doing it right." But I bloody am.

There are about 500 people crammed into our sports hall.

No idea what boggling is.

What were you expecing then, a fanfare???

Zumba is massively different depending on the instructor, same as any exercise class...it can be good or shit!!

I go, I dont love it but it's good exercise......I prefer other stuff such as pole fitness and spinning but as they say, variety is the spice of life!

...oh yeah, forgot to say - Zumba is just a passing fad....and the instructors know this - it's a cash cow at the moment hence they are jam packing em in the local church halls....they wont be there in 10 years time thats for sure.

I am an old school aerobics instructor who has been in her local church hall for 10 years now........people always come back to old fashioned aerobics once the boredom of the latest fad kicks in!

redexpat Thu 07-Jul-11 15:44:27

Ok zumba instructor on the thread now!

If you are not breaking a sweat, it's because you are not putting enough into the movements. You have to make them bigger, take bigger steps, punch harder, wiggle your hips more, kick higher. I can't do that for you.

If you don't like one class then try another. No instructors are the same, rather like yoga teachers in my experience. If it isn't for you then it isn't for you. I would never dream of going to aerobics, or running, or playing badminton. Each to his or her own.

PuppyMonkey Thu 07-Jul-11 15:52:05

No, I jump like a complete mad woman from the start and I kick high and do all the arm waving and thrusting and everything. Honest I do.

Insomnia11 Thu 07-Jul-11 15:53:12

It's a no brainer for me, I've done aerobics and salsa in the past, and latin and ballroom dancing so I'm sure I'd like a good class of Zumba, just haven't got round to joining one yet. I do have the Wii game though which is lots of fun. I sweat more than when I run, seriously.

CornflowerB Thu 07-Jul-11 16:37:26

Absolutely agree that it is down to the teacher. I have a fab, very motivational teacher and we do it with weights [smug] and certainly break a sweat. I've lost weight and toned up my upper body and legs without too much effort I think, because it is enjoyable you kind of forget you are exercising.
OK, so it might be a bit cheesy, but who cares - it is a hell of a lot more fun than a treadmill...

BeauBelles Thu 07-Jul-11 16:44:56

DOES IT TONE YOU UP??

I have wonderful cellulite, would it honestly be worth my going or will i remain as wobbly as before but a few quid more skint?

tanukiton Thu 07-Jul-11 16:48:00

Zumba-Whoop whoop smile
I do have a great teacher and sweat lots. I do 3 hours swimming, 1 pilates, 3 yoga classes and 1 zumba a week. So think of myself as reasonably fit.

We have a ballet teacher in our class (she sweats too). The trick is to keep your arms high and ' jump' the steps.

BUT i love dance. I wish there where hip hop classes at my gym.

tallulahxhunny Thu 07-Jul-11 16:50:02

I bought the Zumba for the Wii because of all the hype about this latest craze... I hate it, its lying in the corner after being used just once. Its too hard sad

zumbatastic Thu 07-Jul-11 17:10:20

I'm an instructor so am going to be a bit biased here, but the whole point of Zumba is it's meant to be easy to follow and fun, as well as giving you a good workout. Whether you like it or not can be down to the personal style of the teacher - in the past I have attended a lot of local classes and some were hard work and good fun, some were 'heart attack zumba' and others less intense, and some were simply awful (IMHO)! As with anything it's horses for courses - my friend is an amazing runner and tried to get me into running. It was hellish and I hated every second. I dragged her along to a Zumba class and she was relatively unimpressed. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it. If you have tried it and didn't like it, try another class just in case you prefer another instructor's style, or just move on. Put the kettle on and have a biscuit.

Zumba hugs - whoop whoop - hahahahahaha

Lotkinsgonecurly Thu 07-Jul-11 17:49:18

Bloody hated zumba. Loads of jumping, dancing around to crap music. Ended up feeling like a bah humbug. Now boxfit is fantastic...

begonyabampot Thu 07-Jul-11 17:55:10

zumba is over rated BUT if it gets people out doing some kind of exercise who might never bother otherwise (the girls who used to giggle and hide in the loos smoking at PE)then that can't be bad. Basically it's for people who don't like to really work out but some dance and music will help to make it more fun and more a social event than exercise. I hardly broke sweat at my class and and felt a bit icky watching some granny, perm types strutting about like strippers and trying to do that down low shakey bum thing (sure there is a term for it).

monkeymiss Thu 07-Jul-11 19:27:35

Zumba's ok. I've enjoyed the classes I've been to, but it's not hardcore enough exercise for me.

@ a PP: yes, I think you'd still be wobbly smile

Silvertwigs Tue 12-Jul-11 21:30:43

Apart from being able to become a Zumba instructor with only 2 days training and no previous dance/fitness experience, the unfortunate sheep (whose classes have disillusioned you) had to pay $350 + a considerable monthly fee, to get licensed and use the trademark logo and official, promotional (hyped) material without getting sued by Beto Perez. Just ask your local, respected dance or aerobics teacher to run a class using genuine Latin American music, non stop for 30 minutes, including proper anatomical warm up, stretching, strengthening and stamina increasing .... you have no one to blame but yourself if you don't sweat!

SlackSally Tue 12-Jul-11 21:44:48

Wow, begonya, that's extremely patronising.

I do Zumba, and I do sweat (it's in a boiling room, everyone does). There is a massive difference between the way I do it and the way some others do it. I am jumping around, almost non-stop for nearly an hour. Others vaguely wave their arms around a bit.

I think the attitude of 'aw, let the fatties have their pretend exercise' is horrible. And the not very covert boasting about how terribly fit you are. Well, good for you. So are plenty of people at Zumba.

mickeyjohn Tue 12-Jul-11 21:48:41

ACtually, it's only a one day training course, and £20 a month for the DVDs and Cds and promo stuff which is actually pretty good for what you get.......(I know, cos I am an instructor!) If it gets people who wouldn't otherwise exercise off their sofas and moving for an hour then it's gotta be good!! Doesn't matter if you don't like it, just go to a different type of class you DO like! there's plenty out there!!

smartyparts Tue 12-Jul-11 21:56:59

I agree it's a fad and my mate who teaches it thinks the same.

But it is fun and suitable for all and it gets lots of people doing it that might not otherwise exercise. At my gym it's always packed with the bigger and or older women - all having a ball.

madmax41 Tue 26-Feb-13 13:17:49

Ladies ladies, I'm so sorry that you've had cr£p classes and can't understand what Zumba is all about, I agree that the whoop whooping is CHEESE ON TOAST!!! (I don't do it myself, makes me feel fake) But it's a great alternative for those who don't want to go to the gym. I am an instructor, a bl00dy good one, I'm as fit as a fiddle and my clients are getting there too. I choose the music that lights my fire and my girls love it, I put them through the ringer in every class and the weight is falling off of them.

You need to find an instructor you like, this is the most important thing, otherwise you won't click with the music, or anything else.

Good luck with your exercising, what ever it is that floats your boat, go for it x

I hate Zumba!!

Body Combat is the way forward smile

CressidaFitass Tue 26-Feb-13 13:21:23

I zumba at home following the Hull College video on Youtube - and have the sciatica to prove it getting too old too old

CressidaFitass Tue 26-Feb-13 13:24:05

I bought a dvd package and it was far too hard for a beginner. I just do the second and third dances on the youtube video mentioned above which is enough for me.

choceyes Tue 26-Feb-13 13:38:55

Completely depends on the instructor and how hard you actually do the routine.

Our instructor is FAB. Her music is not cheesy, it's more R&B, reggae, club music etc than latino. Her routines are great. A bit complicated to learn so it is a challenge and yes you have to jump and move around a LOT. You can do it her away which is very intensitve (she showed us a calorie burner type thing that she had on whilst doing the class and it showed that she burnt off nearly 700 cals in the hour long class) or the lazy way like some people do, just waving arms around and walking rather than jumping.
I sweat like a pig afterwards and I'm quite a fit person. I lost a stone in weight since starting a year ago without eating any less.

But it certainly aint a party and I agree with you OP that I don't get the FB madness about it either!

CooEeeEldridge Tue 26-Feb-13 13:50:18

This is quite an old thread? I personally think its not very good, far too slow and about the same level as old school aerobics. However, anything that gets people to the gym has to be good!

GetOrf Tue 26-Feb-13 14:20:03

I think the people who like zumba are the type of people who think that Rosemary Conley's tracksuits look trendy.

It's just exercise for people who don't like exercise really.

FeckOffCup Tue 26-Feb-13 14:35:58

I started zumba a few weeks ago as an old schoolfriend of mine is an instructor and was always sending me facebook invites to her classes, I wanted to get fitter and healthier this year so went along. I now do two classes a week with two different instructors (my friend doesn't run a class on one of the nights that suits my zumba buddy childcare wise) and one is much higher impact than the other but I enjoy them both. I have lost weight since starting, I've been going to a slimming club so I know I've been steadily losing around a pound a week which means I could get a stone off by the summer if I keep going. I was one of those girls who used to bunk off PE to smoke in the toilets and zumba suits me, although I agree about the whooping thing, they always seem to want you to whoop at random points in the songs but I don't join in because I find it a bit cringy.

choceyes Tue 26-Feb-13 14:44:34

I personally think its not very good, far too slow and about the same level as old school aerobics.
Well I personally think it's not! Depends on the instructor, you must have gone to a crappy one.

GetOrf - I don't know anything about Rosemary Conleys tracksuits, I hate home work outs, but I do love exercise. I cycle, run and swim and also do Zumba twice a week and the Zumba class is just as hard as any one of those activities. I guess I'm lucky that I have a good instructor.

mutantninjamyrtle Tue 26-Feb-13 14:49:41

Caught up with a friend who is a physio recently. She says she'd like to kiss the person who introduced Zumba to the UK as all the unfit-people-doing-violent-twisting-at-speed injuries have kept her steadily in work for ages.

She's really looking forward to the forthcoming crop of neck injuries, now that aqua-Zumba is taking off...

Fillyjonk75 Tue 26-Feb-13 14:51:14

I think it's good, but I always enjoyed old school aerobics & dance, and latin music, so it's a no brainer for me. I think people get so enthusiastic about it if they thought exercise had to be a boring slog before and have actually found something they like to do.

I do other exercise as well - running, weights and cardio in the gym, and Zumba definitely adds something to this routine - dance uses all your muscles, it makes you use different parts of your brain, and it loosens up my body - other exercise can make it too tense and rigid.

Fillyjonk75 Tue 26-Feb-13 14:54:01

We don't do any whooping, but the instructor and a few ladies do wear jingly bells like belly dancers. Not sure what that's about but if it works for them...

IvorWindybottom Tue 26-Feb-13 14:55:48

The best thing ever is a homemade pizza and a bottle of wine after the kids have gone to bed. Sod that exercise nonsense

idococktailshedoesbeer Tue 26-Feb-13 15:26:03

Agree it depends on the instructor. I love the camp one at my gym, you get a comedy routine as well as a workout. Today we did Madonna, Cheryl Cole and Nicki Minaj. Kylie Minogue and Barbara Streisand have previously featured. I throw myself into the routines and get a good workout. Another instructor covered for him last week and did an hour of straight Zumba, it was really boring in comparison.

gurubuster Mon 01-Jul-13 05:46:14

About 7 months ago the gym I teach Yoga at cancelled my Class on a Monday night at 7:30pm and the Group Ex director said "you're only getting 20 people, the Zumba instructor after you gets 70" She shunted me to Fridays at 5:30pm. I lost at least 15 people, because people party Friday evening. Anyway, a few days ago, I ran into the young lady that teaches that class and she was limping. She said I just had surgery, and she told me...duhh...she needed to do Yoga! I had sent that Group Ex director lots of article about how Zumba hurts people (Washington Post etc, I will post a few soon here) First off, Zumba is done on a hard surface, there are a lot of knee jerky, knee twisty, pounding the joints movements, movements are often too frenetic and violent...

I get my daily cardio on a mini-trampoline (rebound exercise) because it IS T H E safest form of doing Cardio plus it cleanses the Lymph system. You can put on duhh...Zumba/Disco/Jerry Lee Lewis/ whatever...music, bounce, run with knees high, twist, slalom, side movements, front kicks, jumping jacks etc, I do 50 with hands down, and 50 with hands up.

Plus I cross train with weights One set, 8 to 12 reps, all the major muscle muscles and spend no more than 25 mins in the weight and exercise equipment room.

Of course I'm biased towards Yoga and why do you think Yoga has been around for over...what? 5,000 years. Disco met the same fate.

I love going to Zumba, been doing it 3 years, lost a stone and have kept it off also dropped my cholesterol.
It makes a huge difference who your instructor is, ours is brilliant, she also teaches kids hip hop class, yoga, boot camp, RIPPED, ball pilates and other stuff. It's a hard class if you make it one and she knows all her clients and makes sure they work to their ability and knows when I'm slacking off a bit.
We do lots of new music, occasionally an oldie, but theres quite a bit of hip hop as well as latin mixed in at ours. I'm going to miss her when we move, I'll have a hard time replacing these classes.

Lweji Mon 01-Jul-13 06:21:48

I watched a couple of demonstrations on the beach but was underwhelmed.
And couldn't see the difference between this and the other workouts that are normally done at the beach.

I've never done Body Combat, although it does look like it does a good cardio.
I just do Combat, though. grin
No point in getting fit if I can't really throw a punch or knee a groin properly.

Battleagainsttheodds Mon 01-Jul-13 07:07:38

I've been. I hate it. Instructor LOVED herself and LOVED two of the people in the class (they loved themselves too, all shakey shakey in front of the mirror and shouting out song requests) the rest of us could just get on with it or 'KEEP MOVING' regardless of the fact we were moving bizarrely. No instruction, no good at all. Worse that it was done on mirrored room where I'd no escape and that following the back of a normal instructor is a problem never mind following the back and the front (in mirror) made me crash spectacularly with everyone, spent whole class saying ' sorry in British way after thumping neighbour in mouth...

exoticfruits Mon 01-Jul-13 07:19:13

I love it and try to get there every week. I expect that it depends on the instructor- and ours is great. I have no idea what the 'whooping' is- we don't have any. I like the music.

exoticfruits Mon 01-Jul-13 07:20:15

I like the fact that you don't have to be exact- just keep moving.

HeffalumpTheFlump Mon 01-Jul-13 08:30:53

Yanbu, I was totally underwhelmed.

FrenchRuby Mon 01-Jul-13 08:59:10

I tried it, hated it. I'm really uncoordinated. I do pole fitness and much prefer it.

Wandawingsthe2nd Mon 01-Jul-13 09:23:11

Can a Zumba instructor confirm something for me; is it true that a proper class teacher won't give instructions? It's something I've heard but never seen in practice.

Why does this thread keep getting re-newed......it is so old!!!

French - I am a pole fitness addict.....I didn't much like zumba when I did it either smile

shewhowines Mon 01-Jul-13 09:39:45

I thought it was only ok to begin with but once you are familiar with the moves and really relax into it, it is great. I'm a total addict and for the first time in my life, actually look forward to going to the gym. Agree it does depend on the instructor though. Some are very average. The amount of sweat, varies with the instuctors too. Our two best ones really go for it.

shewhowines Mon 01-Jul-13 09:43:21

wands

The best ones don't need to call out instructions. They let you know what is coming up by hand signals.

adverbial Mon 01-Jul-13 09:44:39

It's just a faddy aerobics class. It was step classes when I was young. Do they still do those?

adverbial Mon 01-Jul-13 09:46:08

Snigger at pole dancing fitness <sorry, thinking of heated old threads on the topic>

babybarrister Mon 01-Jul-13 09:48:01

toitqally depends on teacher - I also have a qualified dance teacher and it is great with no whooping.

as to the quip about it being for people who go to Thai restaurants but have no non-white friends, what a load of tosh and presumptious about the colour of the people going to zumba to boot shock. There is hardly a need for racism on a thread about sumba is there? hmm

EliotNess Mon 01-Jul-13 09:53:14

zumba is exercise for the chronically unfit isnt it?

Like when someone called aqua aerobics " fat splash"

I didnt laugh at all

Trills Mon 01-Jul-13 09:54:07

Eliot - erm no, Zumba is not for the unfit....it can be quite cardio and can be a good work out if you have a good instructor and like that sort of thing smile

exoticfruits Mon 01-Jul-13 09:57:38

Zumba is for all- suitable for all levels of fitness.

exoticfruits Mon 01-Jul-13 09:59:16

I always get fooled into old threads.

FrenchRuby Mon 01-Jul-13 10:36:17

adverbial I've not seen past threads but pole fitness is an awesome way to build up strength. I go to a class that focuses on holds and strength rather than the dance side of it (as mentioned before, I have no coordination haha!)

VeganCow Mon 01-Jul-13 10:37:26

here is a class that does not look like the forced ridiculous high energy clapping and wooping silliness I have usually seen associated with Zumba.

adverbial It was step classes when I was young. Do they still do those?

Yes that one is still going, I tried it once last year, scared the crap out of me, I fell off a couple of times, I have more chance of injury in that one. grin
Never really wanted to try pole fitness, but then I associate that with stripper poles so didn't even want to go there.
Our instructor isn't all up herself and loving her self in the mirror, she wears a mike when there's a lot of new people and does give instruction as she goes, she will also go over moves for new songs/people as needed.
Her studio is small so 20 people is about as many as she sees each day.
I always get drawn in by old threads too! <bah>

megsmouse Mon 01-Jul-13 19:51:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

melliebobs Mon 01-Jul-13 19:52:42

Zumba is so passé. It's all about Bokwa and Metafit at my gym. And I haven't done any of them wink

Zumba gold is the lowest impact class. suitable for those who haven't exercised in a long time or who have had injuries.
We do higher impact and really get sweaty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyL1ZhbsPKU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4hh0pqXyzY
We don't Whoop and cheer, but then the music is so loud you wouldn't hear the crazies doing it.

CinnamonAddict Mon 01-Jul-13 20:23:57

I don't care if it is a fad or passé, I like it.

It was the first exercise I really liked and I lost loads of weights with Zumba (from15 to 10st), by doing it 5 times a week. It definitely toned my, I didn't have any loose skin issues.
It heavily depends on the instructor, I did go to some classes where I thought it was a bit of a joke, not a workout.
After a while I found my classes and have been going for a long time. Always the same crowd, we go out for drinks occasionally and it is always a good workout (after 45mins I'm on the verge of collapse, and I'm quite fit). Took my SIL, also very fit, she could see where I burned my calories wink
Some of the classes are full of grannies, so what? As long as the instructor is good and I have enough space to move, the music is good, I don't care who is sweating next to me.

CinnamonAddict Mon 01-Jul-13 20:24:38

my -> me

CinnamonAddict Mon 01-Jul-13 20:25:52

Oh, and I don't do 45min classes, only one hour. Everything else didn't do it for me.

AlanMoore Mon 01-Jul-13 20:35:51

Totally agree it depends on the teacher. Local one is ace, she's got 20odd years as a fitness instructor so she knows what she's doing. I really enjoyed it and I hate salsa and whooping.

chipsandpeas Mon 01-Jul-13 20:52:21

i have a great instructor she gets everyone going, went to a different class and the instructor seemed as if she couldnt be arsed, its partly cos of her i keep going plus its the only real exercise i enjoy doing so happy to carry on doing it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now