I have a bath every day, a hot deep one, with bubbles, and I read my book in there for at least an hour.

(64 Posts)
Reality Tue 24-May-11 12:09:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GypsyMoth Tue 24-May-11 12:10:59

me too!!

but no book....ipod and headphones!!

GypsyMoth Tue 24-May-11 12:11:33

and i'm sometimes in there longer...

emsyj Tue 24-May-11 12:11:59

I have a hot bubbly bath every night before bed and cannot sleep without it. Have been known to return after a night on the tiles and run a bath in the early hours. The worst thing about the newborn phase with DD was not being able to have a bath in peace.

YANBU

Yep, agree!! I dont go in the bath unless I have at least an hour although and hour and a half is better. I have it filled to the top, lovely bubbles and I go in there with a book, magazines, a drink and something to eat!!!

DS and DH know NOT to interupt me when I am in the bath, it is my time and I love it!!!

A definate human right......there must be a law about it somewhere wink

LaWeasel Tue 24-May-11 12:12:19

Yeah, me too!

I can't have music though or I can't hear DD.

clitorisorclitoraint Tue 24-May-11 12:12:33

Water shortages?

Minorroad Tue 24-May-11 12:12:36

Bubbles give you cancer.

emsyj Tue 24-May-11 12:13:02

Oh, I don't read either - had to stop as kept dropping books in the bath <butterfingers> and they go all crispy and wrinkled when they dry out.

MrsCarriePooter Tue 24-May-11 12:13:06

Definitely. Although I live on the edge, me, and read my Kindle without a waterproof cover.

Buda Tue 24-May-11 12:13:33

I get thrush if I have too many baths.

So I just stay smelly.

emsyj Tue 24-May-11 12:14:40

DH shares my bath (well, my water - he gets in after me) - will that do, clitorisorclitoraint?

ToriaPumpkin Tue 24-May-11 12:14:56

Me too! When not pg I have a beer or glass of wine with me. Sometimes I take two books if I know I'm likely to finish one. DH knows not to interrupt me but ILs are yet to learn, they have two bathrooms but still insist on hovering in the hall shouting in to ask if I'm ok every ten minutes...

Mumswang Tue 24-May-11 12:18:30

oh yes me too, always have done

it was a habit formed in childhood when my mother would sit on the loo and read to me, dick king smiths, my naugtiest littel sister, the borrowers, little house on the prarie, teh hobit, lord of the rings and so on

we've got a new tap that i can work with my toe so i can top up with hot when needed without moving

ahhh it's one of life's simple pleasures

I'm on a water meter so if I want a bath every day I'll have one!

Bubbles give you cancer?? I've heard it all now!!

sausagesandmarmelade Tue 24-May-11 12:27:48

LOVE my hot baths....

No books for me though

Punkatheart Tue 24-May-11 12:31:38

I do it too but obviously not in YOUR bath poster. I have my own. I love to read and so does my OH but his mother was horrified that he does this. She is phobic about falling asleep and drowning. Get a better book, I say!

One of life's pleasures - reflections of the water on buttery yellow walls. Cat scratching to come in so she can have a thyroidal operatic session, daughter screaming about where is my fav blouse, OH telling her off.

I think I better think it out again. But when I do get peace as well - it is bliss.

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Tue 24-May-11 12:33:47

I channel my inner mermaid at every opportunity, but I just don't get the bath thing at all.

No matter how luxurious the bubbles are, I'm not prepared to spend valuable time wallowing in a bath when I can shower, wash hair, dry, dress/titivate, and be good to go in considerably less an hour.

I'm not OCD, but on the rare occasions that I have a bath I always shower afterwards to make sure that any dead skin cells and other detritus are sluiced away rather than being left on my body.

petitepeach Tue 24-May-11 12:35:35

me too! love a good soak...also lock the door its the only bit of peace and quiet you can get....dc still push little notes under the door though....smile

Punkatheart Tue 24-May-11 12:36:49

My daughter once wrote a three page note on why she should be allowed up late to watch Glee. If only she applied herself to her school work as well...

ThisIsJustASagaNow Tue 24-May-11 12:37:30

Yanbu. I'm def not a shower person. It's hard to get the peace to do it here though hmm

ViolaTricolor Tue 24-May-11 12:37:57

I love a good bath, though I've never mastered drinking in the bath. Something about the liquid inside/outside thing makes me feel a bit odd, especially if they're at different temperatures.

emsyj Tue 24-May-11 12:38:04

My DH does it too - usually with a glass of wine or whisky. He often falls asleep in the bath but has never yet plunged a book.

I never wash my hair in the bath tho - so if going out, have bath and shave legs, then hop in the shower to wash hair.

grottielottie Tue 24-May-11 12:38:53

Oh I love a bath, so hot that I'm red and seeing stars when I get out. It's Luke warm all the way at the moment though as I'm pregnant, and no wine.

I go for listening to radio 4 on iplayer rather than a book.

emsyj Tue 24-May-11 12:39:17

Ooooh I agree ViolaTricolour ! I thought I was the only one who felt like that!!!

shineoncrazydiam0nd Tue 24-May-11 12:40:55

I have a shower every morning and a bath at night.

But no bubbles- I recommend Aromatherapy Associates bath oil.

And I read my kindle in there. Well, I do until I drop it.

TheBolter Tue 24-May-11 12:41:20

I'm more of a shower person but I like a bath once or twice a week. I do let the dds get in after me - which they find a great treat because it's so deep - to appease my green conscience.

My favourite baths are.. friday night when I have a glass of cava and do all my necessary bits of depilation and exfoliation

Sunday night when I just wallow with a food magazine or a frothy book

LOVE baths

MumblingRagDoll Tue 24-May-11 12:43:24

I have to! The DC know better than to bug me when I'm "boiling" as they call it! "Mummy's boiling herself in the bath"

I really like it very hot!

CJCregg Tue 24-May-11 12:49:22

Definitely - I have a bath every day, with a book if there's time. Mostly there isn't time but I have a book anyway grin

Love, love, love baths. Pah to dead skin cells.

MrsMellowDrummer Tue 24-May-11 12:49:31

I read my Kindle in the bath too. There's nothing nicer...

CJCregg Tue 24-May-11 12:53:24

Sorry, meant 'definitely not BU'.

Serenitysutton Tue 24-May-11 12:54:50

i have one almost every night and its my favourite part of the day- H thinks my skin is going to fall off as shwoer every morning to

Rarely get the chance for a bath these days, and certainly not an interrupted one (which ruins my careful preparations with book/ iPod touch/ ice lolly). Had one a few months ago and could hear DH talking to DS (about 9 months) downstairs, 'where's mummy, shall we go and see mummy, let's go and see mummy, mummy, mummy, where are you?'. Heard them (and the dog!) trooping upstairs in time to put a smile on but really I wanted to say 'FFS can I not have an hours peace?'

I'd love a long, scalding hot, uninterrupted bath!

Anythingwithagiraffeonit Tue 24-May-11 13:00:59

I'm having a long bath right at this very moment... DD will wake up from her nap soon though and I'll have to leap out with half washed hair and one shaved leg...

I love reading my kindle in the bath and having a glass of wine. Mmmmmmmm...

Bubbles give you cancer though?? Really? hmm

AuntieMaggie Tue 24-May-11 13:01:22

This isn't something I've done but I just might now!

AuntieMaggie Tue 24-May-11 13:02:45

I think there's some report somewhere that the chemical that produces bubbles/lather in shampoo, shower gel, bubble bath has been linked to cancer but it's not something I pay attention to... more likely to get it from the train fumes I breathe in every day!

SnuffleTurtle153 Tue 24-May-11 13:04:14

Everything fun gives you cancer. Fact.

expatinscotland Tue 24-May-11 13:05:05

Someone will be along to tell you you are incredibly wasteful and should just instead strip wash every day but the one day a week you're allowed a bath - sharing water with some other scunge.

I have a shower every single day and a relaxing soak once or twice a week, with bubbles. Candles lit. Soft music playing.

AuntieMaggie Tue 24-May-11 13:06:09

Can anyone tell me if I can put the fuzzy peach oil I bought from the body shop a few years ago in the bath? Or do I need a carrier oil?

shitmagnet Tue 24-May-11 13:10:45

I stand in a hot shower every morning and sip my brew in there.

It is the sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) in soaps etc that creates bubbles (surfactant), and yes it has been linked with cancer, albiet indirectly. There are worse ingredients.

CountBapula Tue 24-May-11 13:12:09

I used to before I had DS. Now I forgo baths in favour of sleep ... I now have showers accompanied by an eight-month-old in a bouncy chair and have to play peekaboo through the cubicle door ...

Ohhh, I am so jealous! We don't have a bath, there's not enough room, and I would love one. Showers are nice and clean but baths are so lovely and relaxing - with a long book and maybe the radio on. Yes. smile

shitmagnet Tue 24-May-11 13:12:47

To put oil in a bath, I would first dissolve a few drops in some liquid soap - that way it will distribute evenly. A liquid castille soap is perfect, as it has no nasties. Although I'm not sure I'd use an oil that was years old!

youmeatsix Tue 24-May-11 13:14:28

i havent had a bath since i was a child
shower morning and night for me
i get bored sitting in a bath, and i never feel clean when i come out, so i had a shower after my bath

Mandy2003 Tue 24-May-11 13:15:08

NOOOOO! I cannot ABIDE having dry hands and a wet body. It makes me want to <boak>

Sorry I don't know what to do with the fuzzy peach oil but I just Googled it and apparently it is very rare and valuable as it's been discontinued!

FollowMe Tue 24-May-11 13:18:50

I have a hot bubbly bath every day. Love it!

MummyDoIt Tue 24-May-11 13:19:01

I have been known to put my laptop on a chair next to the bath and watch a DVD or something on the iPlayer. Dr Who during the 10th doctor phase is a favourite so I can claim to have shared my bath with David Tennant. I did once MN from the bath (very carefully, with dry hands!), just for the novelty!

KvetaBarry Tue 24-May-11 13:32:20

oh, I'd love a bath. our new house has a spectacularly short one - even DS can't lie in it properly, and he's only 19 months. We're getting a new one (still short, but longer than the current one) and a shower fitted in 3 weeks. I plan to christen it with a hot bath and a book, and DH will be instructed not to disturb me AT ALL unless he or DS has lost a limb.

Shodan Tue 24-May-11 13:40:24

Boiling hot bath every night for at least an hour here. It's a small shower bath, which took some getting used to, but now I've learnt to prop my feet up on the wall at the end so all good.

First third of bathtime is reading. Second third is what I like to call Positive Meditative Reinforcement but others call daydreaming. Third third is washing, hairwashing, exfoliating, shaving etc.

Woe betide anyone who interrupts bathtime. It's essential for my sanity. DH once (in our early days, before he Knew Better) climbed in the bath with me. I was not a happy bunny. Shodan Doesn't Share Baths.

(Actually I do, occasionally, with ds2. But I make lots of excuses so only have to do it once in a while. Ds1 used to badger me to share until I told him I wee in the bath. I don't, but it stopped him pestering)

ScousyFogarty Tue 24-May-11 15:26:55

I did not expect to see HMQ on Mumsnet. Have you tried Twitter, Ma,am?

rubyrubyruby Tue 24-May-11 15:34:05

it always seems like such a good idea.

........... But then I never really enjoy it.

I never shower, only bath (rinse the conditioner off with the shower head though)... not always bubbles, but ALWAYS a book - I actually don't think I could bathe without one blush. It is the first thing I look for and I often forget to take a towel in with me... because my hands are full of book, glass of milk, hunk of good cheese or choccy bar - for some reason I have to snack in the bath. I once stayed in for 6 hours when I was pregnant - read two books! Just kept topping up the hot whenever I noticed it was cold, which sometimes takes a while if it is a good book... 3 hour baths are not uncommon and I often catch a nap in there too... only place without kids sometimes!

samc007 Tue 24-May-11 15:45:26

It should most definitely be a human right! I am in the luke warm brigade at the moment due to pregnancy and am looking forward to my huge thunder thighs not touching the sides of the bath once baby arrives in July! Getting out is a pain at the min as our bath is narrow (but very deep so bubbles up to shoulders while sat!) and the tap is in the middle so no proper hand room to hoist myself up. I fear I am close to having to forego my bath and instead have a stupid shower sad

Book,snack and drink is a definate need for a bath too

LaWeasel Tue 24-May-11 18:48:07

I am about to have my third bath of the day since DD is now in bed for the night. I'm pregnant and I swear on all that is holy-and-not-fecking-ginger-biscuits it stops me feeling sick!

LatteLady Tue 24-May-11 18:54:40

Love the bath... but NOOOOOOOOOOO to reading a book in there, it does dreadful things to the pages... I might even have to send a librarian round to hoik you out...

walks off tutting to her bookshelves

DontGoCurly Tue 24-May-11 18:59:25

No, rarely have a bath. It's showers for me. Warm water only though, never hot. I can't physically bear hot water....it's too hot...I'm constantly baffled as to how people can have hot baths! My skin is really dry, I would shrivel up and die of burns if I got into a hot bath!

LaWeasel Tue 24-May-11 19:03:20

I dropped my early edition harry potter and the philosopher's stone in the bath when I was a kid blush

Punkatheart Tue 24-May-11 19:07:41

You pregnant ladies are reminding me of when I was pregnant, lying in the bath. I used to love feeling my DD-to-be doing hiccup after hiccup.

It must have been the most content I have ever been in my life.

(Cue harp music and goofy smile)

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Tue 24-May-11 19:11:54

I so agree with you. I do this too - I would be insane without it.

I would never take food in there with me though; can't understand that at all - but I do like a drink in there.

chocolatehobnobs Tue 24-May-11 19:23:16

Love my daily baths. I had my on suite designed as sanctuary.special shelves for tea or wine, 2 phones so never have to get out to answer phone, laptop to watch internet tv eg desperate housewives. Love reading my kindle or AIBU . MUST GO ... BATH IS READY!

MumGoneCrazy Tue 24-May-11 19:26:57

I'm in the bath now with my laptop perched on a stool beside me, next to that is another stool and on it is a bag of crisps, a big glass of ice cold coke and a book (chick-lit) grin

chocolatehobnobs Tue 24-May-11 19:27:23

That's better I'm in now grin

MumGoneCrazy Tue 24-May-11 19:32:45

Do you ever get that feeling where you just want to strip off and jump in whenever you see a river, canal or the sea? I had that really bad while pregnant with DD2 and always wanted to be in water, I was having at least 3 baths every days and they all lasted 2-3hrs it drove DP crazy! Longest bath was 4 and a half hrs and most baths in one day was 6 blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now