to send my daughter into school with slightly Republican fairy cakes?

(56 Posts)

DD's school is having a Royal Wedding party tomorrow for the last day of term and her year has been asked to bring in fairy cakes.

I've resisted the urge to decorate the aforementioned cakes with 'Off With Their Heads' and have gone instead for the educational 'Let Them Eat Cake'.

What price a daughter's embarrassment compared to standing up for principles, eh?

insertfunnynicknamehere Fri 15-Apr-11 22:54:37

Actualy I feel if you live in a country that is ruled by a Royal family then of course its going to be part of the school policy to at least acknowledge the wedding even if you dont agree with the royal family.

And thats another thing, it seems like so many hate the Royal family, then where is the revolution?The call for change in leadership? Seems to me like ideals are there but actions are not.

I appreciate that your making the cakes for DD was in jest to you and that DD seems to have no ill effect, but how do you know?I remember being 'embarrassed' by my dad like this, its not character building, its soul destroying being the one person picked on because their dad wanted to make a political point. I will never forget that shame but laughed it off in good nature when my dad used to tell it as one of his stories. So I think YABU for those very points but hey your kid right?Its not like she should have an opinion.

Amateurish Fri 15-Apr-11 23:12:39

We are hardly "ruled" by a royal family. Their powers are ceremonial if anything. Their function many a tourist draw.

southofthethames Sat 16-Apr-11 00:00:03

Oh - I thought it was US Republicans too. Thank goodness you're much cooler than that. Marie Antoinette infinitely more chic. Yes, I think Marie Antoinette was referring to brioche, which lasts longer than normal bread (very useful to bring on family holidays, funnily - doesn't need refrigeration, transports well at the airport, fewer crumbs than biscuits, and definitely passes the "no liquids in hand luggage " rule.) YANBU, but your DD is probably starting to think "parents are so embarrassing" already - do let her have a few more years of worshipping mummy before giving it up.....once teenage years come on, there's no turning back!

southofthethames Sat 16-Apr-11 00:20:22

PS. Yes, sorry, I meant the phrase attributed to Marie Antoinette - I've read that she apparently didn't say it - was referring to brioche. This is what happens when you try to multitask while typing on mumsnet. I know of a nursery who also have a "cakes only from a commercial packet" rule - so they can check the ingredients for nuts and other potential allergens, etc. But that can be a bit tough for less well off families having to fork out dough (pun not intended) to buy stuff every time teacher decides to have some sort of entertainment - if you have three kids in different years that's a lot of fairy cakes to buy, unless there's a multibuy offer on.

thunderchild Sat 16-Apr-11 15:15:21

@hobnobsaremyfave. My dd at a welsh school and yesterday had "royal wedding" with street party. I had to provide party food and dress. But it rankled, I mean I had to put aside my principles in order not to upset dd, but I felt as if I was being subject to "emotional blackmail by proxy"! I mean- what price principle when faced with dissapointing 6 year old?

herecomesthsun Mon 18-Apr-11 03:55:25

We are having a street party. I am a republican but have a little DS and am planning to go along with the flow. I am making cake. My idea however is to decorate with candy frogs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now