to send my daughter into school with slightly Republican fairy cakes?

(56 Posts)

DD's school is having a Royal Wedding party tomorrow for the last day of term and her year has been asked to bring in fairy cakes.

I've resisted the urge to decorate the aforementioned cakes with 'Off With Their Heads' and have gone instead for the educational 'Let Them Eat Cake'.

What price a daughter's embarrassment compared to standing up for principles, eh?

gorionine Fri 15-Apr-11 06:38:37

Shallishanti, you are right, it was "et bien qu'ils mangent de la brioche" . She did start by saying "Qu'ils mangent du pain" When told the people were hungry but when told the people not have any bread she retorted

"Et bien qu'ils mangent de la brioche!"

I know because I was there!grin

MikeOxstiff Fri 15-Apr-11 09:27:48

Things like this make the parent look like an arse if you ask me

Why not tell the teacher you would rather not celebrate it

MigratingCoconuts Fri 15-Apr-11 09:36:19

oh Mikey, where's your sense of humour!

LadyOfTheManor Fri 15-Apr-11 09:38:15

I would've gone with "off with their heads". Thankfully my ds is too young to take cakes into nursery.

Oh I love it grin subtle and witty and yet she still gets to participate. We have been asked by nursery to dress dd in red, white and blue for the week of the wedding - can't quite work out how to subvert that in a similarly subtle way though!

Itchywoolyjumper Fri 15-Apr-11 10:04:39

Systemsaddict - stick with the French revolutionary theme: red stocking cap, blue and white striped jumper

oh that's fabulous! right I'm checking ebay now grin

purplerabbitofinle Fri 15-Apr-11 10:33:53

Or, systemsaddict, you could do a Sex Pistols type thing - blue jeans with safety pins, white t-shirt with artful holes in and a union jack spray painted on graffitti style...

Oh, and Doc Marten style boots (still have mine, adult size 5 if you want to borrow them. Very scuffed!)

Itchywoolyjumper Fri 15-Apr-11 10:58:11

Oh dear, I hope I haven't set your children up for a life time of therapy, systemsaddict grin

Ghost: loving the cakes, I'm very fond of the Queen but I think this whole wedding thing is a bit OTT. As for embarassing your DD, my own mother would tell you that's what parenthood is for

DP would love the Sex Pistols idea. Could take it as far as 'God save the Queen' and probably get away with it.

Aksherly, Marie Antoinette has been unfairly slandered, because she did not say it.

I think we're going to do something similar with my dcs for their school's royalist bash at the beginning of term. They havd been told to wear red white and blue. Their uniforms are blue and white in any case, so we thought red ties and socks, instead of the regulation ties and socks. Ds is really up for it, but I think dd is being swayed by the chance to wear party clothes, and may turn her coat when push comes to shove.

MissEmilyPosts Fri 15-Apr-11 11:17:43

Personally, I would have plastered the cakes with the alternative wedding invite guest list: Fergie, James Hewitt, Koo Stark, Ghost of Princess Margaret and her entourage of beaux, Andrew Morton.

But that's just me.

purplerabbitofinle Fri 15-Apr-11 12:25:26

SA, do it! Just be a little bit subtle - I'm not sure wearing an actual Sex Pistols tshirt would go down to well (inappropriate content?) but the "anarchy" thing would definitely raise a smile with the staff the ones with a sense of humour anyway

ObiWanKenobi Fri 15-Apr-11 16:50:04

Ghost - well done you. People need to realise there is an alternative. I personally think the school is being unreasonable asking.

Homebird8 Fri 15-Apr-11 17:04:09

You do realise this is one of those stories which will get told at your funeral?

purplerabbitofinle Fri 15-Apr-11 17:21:39

Homebird, I reckon it'll make an awesome Father Of The Bride anecdote when she's older wink

Quick Update...

Cakes went down very well, teaching staff laughed uproariously. DD does not seem to be scarred for life.

Thanks for all the positive replies grin

breathing Fri 15-Apr-11 20:31:46

Character building...reminds me of when my father wrote mt sister's confirmation name on the slip provided by the nuns as ELVIS.

troisgarcons Fri 15-Apr-11 20:33:53

Amused @ the Op - you actually think that schools (and/or parents) have any idea regarding the French Revolution?

MigratingCoconuts Fri 15-Apr-11 20:54:53

why would they not???

missymayhemsmum Fri 15-Apr-11 21:04:06

Wow! a school that's brave enough to let in home made cakes! I was asked to provide a contribution for the nursery christmas party, but it had to arrive in a packet. Staff could not let the children eat home baked fairy cakes unless I had a food hygiene certificate! I am afraid I said a rude word.

Tokyotwist Fri 15-Apr-11 21:12:49

Great idea. It will certainly be a good basis for a debate (what schools are all about).

Did you know Marie Antoinette never actually said "let them eat Cake/brioche"? Apparently the phrase was in use well before her time. At least, so says QI.

See, TV is good for something grin.

ValiumBandwitch Fri 15-Apr-11 21:18:01

are you serious? i wouldn't. and how would you like it if your daughter was given a cup cake with i don't know 'pro-life save the babies' on it, or somebody else's views. cup cakes not the platform for politics really.

purplerabbitofinle Fri 15-Apr-11 22:38:02

Valium, if you're going to take the thread seriously then surely a school is not the place to advocate either Royalism or Republicanism? A little healthy and humourous debate is a good thing, n'est-ce pas?

moajab Fri 15-Apr-11 22:53:06

Brilliant! Do you mind if I borrow your idea for the wedding hats my kids have to make?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now