To eat soup at my desk with a metal spoon and a pottery bowl?

(187 Posts)
LovelyJudy Mon 21-Mar-11 20:44:53

I work part time and often prefer to have a quick lunch break at my desk while doing some personal admin/surfing. I usually have salad but sometimes if i have soup or something that needs heating up I put it in a bowl and eat it with a metal spoon/fork as appropriate.

Today a colleague of mine came over and very politely said that he found it intensely annoying to hear people eating in the office, as it makes him feel as though he's working in a restaurant, so wondered whether it was reasonable to ask me to either use plastic cutlery/dishes, or eat hot food elsewhere.

I don't know - is he over sensitive? I'm inclined to stop doing it, because even if he's irrational i don't want him sitting there feeling annoyed. Also i know it's healthier to get up and go and eat elsewhere. but i don't always have time....

ninani Wed 23-Mar-11 15:46:50

People can be so selfish! They expect you to eat junk food just because they can't bear the smell!

And I am a person who gets REALLY ANGRY (although I have never complained) when I hear people making noises when they eat (or sleep). But after I had my children I try to be more understanding. This is MUMSNET after all isn't it??

I actually try to feel happy thinking "oh, this poor creature has had a busy day and is now enjoying some food!". People, tell others: "ENJOY YOUR FOOD" and give them a smile .. I have observed my husband saying nice things to people who is more civilised and understadning than I am.

Soup?? I am rushing to the kitchen for some right now!!

evilgiraffe Wed 23-Mar-11 17:02:38

Oh blimey, who knew it was such an issue?! I eat my lunch at my desk, because it's the only peace and quiet I get all day. I'm in the lab the rest of the time, and the canteen is crazy busy/noisy, so I have my soup at my desk while browsing the internet or reading. I suppose it would be different if it was the sort of office you're in all day though.

slipperandpjsmum Wed 23-Mar-11 19:26:32

How nice that people have time to get so worked up over nothing. We have to eat and work at the same time. No where to go to eat, expectation we don't take a lunch break.

You carry on! Ignore the over sensitive tosser!

MotherOfHobbit Wed 23-Mar-11 20:07:03

Everyone in my office eats at their desks...I'm in the sort of industry where taking a lunch break is seen to be slacking sad

PavlovtheCat Wed 23-Mar-11 20:17:22

"anyone "working through" and eating isn't really working"

I guess that applies to the type of work you do. Because in my job I am a master at typing long reports one handed or between bites of food, and a lot of job involves reading CPS docs and other such exciting reads, I can do that while stuffing my face full of curry!

basana Wed 23-Mar-11 20:28:58

Lunch at desk totally acceptable in my office (and for some, breakfast and dinner too...). I think YANBU at all. He is.

bitsyandbetty Wed 23-Mar-11 21:04:06

I eat at my desk every day and nearly always have. There is not canteen or even a room you can go to to eat so at my desk it is.

constantlywrong Wed 23-Mar-11 21:44:37

We've got a cafe, tis just round the corner - in an office with hundreds of employees, there are usually no more than 15 in there at one time. Guess pretty much everyone eats out/at their desk.

In fact, a very large percentage have cereal boxes on their desk heh

justpaddling Wed 23-Mar-11 22:29:18

I've always eaten at my desk. Soup, sandwiches, left over dinners brought in from home. Never been an issue. Most ask what the nice smell is and you end up swapping receipes.

Think your colleague is being over sensitive.

A1980 Wed 23-Mar-11 22:48:07

I think your colleageu is being OTT with the soup.

At our office brining your own food in is what most people do. We're in a recession, buying food out is expensive, our lounge area is small and does not have space for everyone to sit at lunch.

I generally make a sandwich or pasta. The sandwich doesn't smell at all as it's cold food. The pasta tends to have a tomato based sauce which isn't obnoxious, smell wise. Hygeine wise, I clear my papers away and I have hand wipes at my desk. I also put a couple of layers of kitchen roll down on the desk before i eat. I don't eat off the desk surface.

However some of my colleagues really piss me off not by eating at their desks but WHAT they eat. Some of the younger admin staff bring in fast food. Other cook themselves full meals in the tiny kitchen we have. They bring in the fish, the vegetables, a can of boiled potatoes and they prepare it on the tiny surface we have in the kitchen. It's barely big enough for 2 people to make coffee. Another girl constantly makes very strong smelling curry. Many people bring in left overs from dinner the night before. Another girl microwaves a sweet potato every day and puts mackerel on it from a can. The mackerel can is of course put in the bin and stinks the kitchen out all afternoon. It's disgusting.

What I don't understnad is why people need two full hot meals a day? Are they starving? Do they have to prepare a huge hot meal for lunch?

anonymum11 Wed 23-Mar-11 23:21:48

YANBU - We have a new eating area in our office, and most people still choose to eat at their desks even when they've bought hot food - including me. I can't see a problem with it, although I do try not to have anything strong smelling as that would annoy me.

elspartacus Thu 24-Mar-11 08:03:05

YANBU. Not your fault that you didn't know he has selective sound sensitivity syndrome.
www.soundsensitive.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now