AIBU to want to get my implant removed already?

(56 Posts)
gemmalou123 Sun 06-Mar-11 22:00:28

I have only had it since sept, but have put on loooooads of weight (1.5 stone), it makes me so grumpy, and hurts when I lie on my arm when trying to sleep. What a pain in the bum!

MarionCole Sun 06-Mar-11 22:08:57

Hated mine, I lasted about 9 months before I had it taken out.

hairylights Sun 06-Mar-11 22:10:35

Go for it. If it's pissing you off that much I think yanbu at all.

worraliberty Sun 06-Mar-11 22:12:18

Try one in your arm next time if it gives you a pain in the bum grin

WhyMeWhyNot Sun 06-Mar-11 22:14:24

Have it out! That's a big weight gain and if it's still hurting your arm after this long then it won't get less painful.
My daughter lasted as long as you before she gave up with it. She bled continually, had terrible mood swings and her arm was so painful she couldn't raise it.
Symptoms disappeared within 3 days of removal.

FabbyChic Sun 06-Mar-11 22:15:41

YOu have gained weight because your appetite has increased, subsequently you have been eating more.

The weight gain can be controlled eating less, you will be hungry but thats the brunt you have to bear.

redexpat Sun 06-Mar-11 22:27:54

I didn't like mine either, but would really recommend the patch. I guess it depends why you chose to go on it.

NoWayNoHow Sun 06-Mar-11 22:29:46

Sister had one for all of 8 months before she took it out - in the 7 weeks before it was removed, she had her period for 5!!

YANBU to want it out if it's making you miserable - just try something else.

amberleaf Sun 06-Mar-11 22:32:15

I hated mine too, i got fat, was a angry bitch and bled loads [which did ease off after about 6 months of continuous bleeding]

I had my 2nd one removed lost loads of weight within 2 months and have never looked back.

They dont suit everyone.

forehead Sun 06-Mar-11 22:33:33

Get it taken out immediately. I gained 3 stone in 2 years, despite eating well and going to the gym four times a week. When i took it out i lost a stone in three weeks. It also decreased my libido, which defeated the object.

gemmalou123 Sun 06-Mar-11 22:40:16

Thank you! nice to know I'm not the only one it has made a fat, miserable, grumpy cow of!
Any suggestions as to an appropriate replacement?
Previously got pregnant on depo injection, v complicated pregnancy due to this and mc late so thats a no-go
Any other suggestions welcome!

DaisyFields Sun 06-Mar-11 22:42:43

I had mine in for 8 months before I gave up and had it removed, gained a ton of weight despite eating really healthily and going to the gym 5 times a week. Had periods that lasted for weeks, was grumpy as hell and had awful skin.

Had it removed and within a month of being back on the pill I found out that I was pregnant - so be good and follow the dr's instructions, else you might get a BIG surprise like I did!

I really think that they should be more honest about the side effects before they put them in, I was made to think that it was the best thing since sliced bread; no pills to take, no periods and no pregnancy worries - the reality was very different.

I definitely wouldn't choose to have one again after the baby arrives, just looking for a breast-feeding friendly alternative.

DaisyFields Sun 06-Mar-11 22:44:23

Gemmalou, sorry I xposted hadn't seen your response. Please ignore what I said about getting pregnant after having it removed, super insensitive of me.

lovinme Sun 06-Mar-11 22:46:43

I had an implant in for 7mths had it taken out cause I found out I was 6mths pregnant...

gemmalou123 Sun 06-Mar-11 22:48:14

not to worry, went on to have beautiful little girly who is almost a year old now, just not quite ready for another yet! (Can't believe how much space they invade!! Used to think our house was big!)

atah Sun 06-Mar-11 22:53:16

very dim question <sorry> but what kind of implant blush

gemmalou123 Sun 06-Mar-11 22:57:00

contraceptive implant-implanon (inserted in upper arm)

atah Sun 06-Mar-11 22:58:53

aah, thanks for enlightening me!!

I had mine for 10 months. Before that I had regular light periods, no mood swings etc and an really a placid person. With implant I had horrendous mood swings which resulted in almost break downs, oy for my period to arrive a day later. Periods lasted 2 weeks and were awful. Had implant removed and I feel like a weight has been lifted, am back to normal happy self and no longer feel like I am about to explode with the tension/stress I felt within.

So short reply is take it out! I'm still considering my best options now. Had mirena before which was fine. No mood swings and v light infrequent periods. At the mo I'm just abstaining, poor dh

Butternutsquash22 Sun 06-Mar-11 23:13:35

I'm getting mine out on Wednesday (Yaaaay!) after 2 and a half years with it. Since I had it in, I have gained almost 2 stone, and have had absolutely zero sex drive. I'm surprised my DP has put up with it for that long!

Am looking forward to going back to a size 8 and being a horny bugger (hopefully...)

Will update after Wednesday if there's been a change haha

gemmalou123 Sun 06-Mar-11 23:16:29

Ilovebagsandbruuuce please excuse my ignorance, but what is mirena?

TwoWeeSausages Sun 06-Mar-11 23:20:14

I'm contenplating having mine removed.

I previously had 2 implants (both implanon) with no side effects, no bleeding. Was fab.

Had implant removed as was TTC. Ds2 born in December. Now 12wks old.

Had new implant (nexplanon) inserted 6weeks postnatal. I have had pain in insertion site ever since and have bled for 3wks (

I never had any of this with Implanon but I cannot change to this as it is no longer used.

Have spoken to friends about this who have experienced the same problems with Nexplanon.

mumdrivenmad Mon 07-Mar-11 03:28:00

The mirena is a coil which releases hormones

lilly100 Wed 12-Oct-11 22:17:30

Hi all,

had nexplanon inserted today and feel i have made a big mistake. A minor issue is that i cant stand the way it feels. Also was not informed about any of the side effects that many people experience. I really want it taken out asap, but from what other people have said many doctors are reluctant to remove them. Any advice please

skybluepearl Wed 12-Oct-11 22:44:21

my friend got pregnant with her implant in!!

YouHaveNoPowerOverMe Wed 12-Oct-11 22:52:10

I had my implant (implanon) full the full term of 3yrs. It was fabulous. No periods, no weight gain, no mood swings.

After ds2 I got it again (nexplanon) it hurt more and for longer when the put it in bit still no periods (or maybe that's coz I'm still BF?) no weight gain, no mood swings. Had it in 12months now.

BUT I know it's not the same for everyone, my friend suffered terrible migranes with hers until it was taken out.

If you don't like it, take it out.

notveryinventive Wed 12-Oct-11 23:20:25

I had implant (Implanon) in for a yr or so before taking it out to TTC. I now have DD2 and have got an appointment for it again on Friday. A bit worried now, cos I did hear that there were problems with it, but I also read that was because the people putting it in didnt do it right as it was quite complicated (dont know how it can be THAT complicated, but then again Ive never tried to insert one myself) or that the side effects didnt suit everyone (which is the same with any contraception is it not?) also that the amount of people who got pregnant was nothing compared to the amount of people on it so was stil over 99% effective (only no sex is 100% guaranteed to mean no baby AFAIK). To be honest I thought the stories were a lot of scare-mongering (I assume lots of news stories are exagerated to scare people anyway). Its only reading this thread that Ive realised its not going to be implanon. I had no problems with Implanon so hoping for the same this time, but if nexplanon is different Im a bit worried. oh well time will tell. I really want to be sterilised, but the NHS are apparently reluctant to do it, so will have to get saving.

If you dont like it, stop using it as soon as you can, though I suspect they will try to suggest other alternatives before they take it out. Good luck.

QuietNinjaZombie Thu 13-Oct-11 07:29:10

I had mine taken out after a few months. Bleeding all the time and horrific mood swings. Am now back on the pill. Just ask yur doctor to remove it. If they get funny then get assertive and insist.

vix1980 Thu 13-Oct-11 08:59:36

Get it out straight away, i really dont think they have done enough tests to say these implants are safe to be honest as there are too many horror stories, i had mine for just over a year, the worst time of my life, put on 1 1/2 stone, lost all interest ins sex whatsoever and turned into the most horrid angry person i know, i still dont know how my family put up with me during that time and i think back now to some of the things i did and cringe with embarrassment. I had it out on a monday afternoon, by tea time i was "normal" again, it was that quick!

MetalSian Thu 13-Oct-11 09:08:43

Mine hasn't been too bad but I agree, if it is making you unhappy get it out.
I just can't stand how bad my skin is =[.

BeatRoute Thu 13-Oct-11 09:14:46

Am stunned by how many people have had the same symptoms as me after having Implanon implanted! I remember the day it was put in and I felt like a switch had been flicked - I was one angry momma... I swear the only reason it works is because it makes you hate the idea of sex and you bleed constantly.

lubeybooby Thu 13-Oct-11 09:21:29

I got mine removed after about 7/8 months.

The first week was hell emotionally, the first month not much better. Then it settled and I had no periods for 2 months. Then I just bled constantly and suffered anxiety the rest of the time. No weight gain or loss of libido though.

It's amazing how much better I felt just a few hours after removal. I'd never have one again.

I think doctors like you to give it 6 months at least to 'settle down' but they can't insist you keep it, only advise... so if you want it gone then stick to your guns.

DistinctlyMintyMonty Thu 13-Oct-11 14:40:44

I've had mine for almost two years, after having to come of Depo because the first four weeks of each twelve week cycle I was just...evil. When I had the Implanon, it was great. No periods (I have hideously painful and heavy periods), I didn't have the vicious moodswings, I was just so damn happy. Libido has suffered, though, and combined with antidepressants has meant pretty much no interest in sex. Then, after about six months, I started bleeding. Not much, but constantly, and it's been draining. I thought it'd go away, but no. After about five months of that, I had to go back to the doctor and I was put on the Pill to regulate the bleeding.

Which, yes, made my periods last a week, and they were regular, but turned them back into the cripping, vomit-inducing agony of what they'd been like before I went on Depo!

I'm coming off the last pack of a second round of taking the Pill, and I think I'm having the implant taken out. I'm sick of having no lust for DH, I'm worried about going back to bleeding as I did when coming off the first cycle of the Pill.

sunshineandbooks Thu 13-Oct-11 14:53:21

I wonder if there is a connection between how well it's inserted and how well it works.

I've had two. The first worked like a dream. No pain, periods vanished, few side-effects and I actually lost weight. The second one was a nightmare. Irregular bleeding, acne, painful arm if I lifted anything.

I haven't used any form of hormonal contraceptive for more than 5 years now and I've never felt better. My general health and energy are better than they've ever been and nothing will ever tempt me to go back to using hormones.

The the poster who said it ruined her libido, that's a well-known and quite common side effect of all hormonal contraceptives, which has always left me feeling a bit confused about the whole thing TBH.

Have it out I say. smile

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Thu 13-Oct-11 15:07:40

FabbyChic Sun YOu have gained weight because your appetite has increased, subsequently you have been eating more. The weight gain can be controlled eating less, you will be hungry but thats the brunt you have to bear.

Wow helpful! I think that advice should be circulated to all overweight people, whether they are overweight due to eating to much, medical conditions, or medication like the OP. I don't know why no one's thought of it before.

havinhoops1974 Thu 13-Oct-11 17:08:11

Does the implant make you grumpy too? god it explains alot And my PMS has been HO'RRENDOUS on the implant , anyone else had that? it like comes x5.

I had implant 2010, I never stopped bleeding was on periods for 2 months with maybe a week off and I was already anaemic, I was put on Loestrin to stop the bleeding but even so now and again I bleed out over it.

had my rubella top up next jan approx I am getting rid of the fucker

Fat,Grumpy? I might aswell be pregnant

PrivateBenjamin Thu 13-Oct-11 17:13:31

I had my implant removed after only 5 weeks because it turned me into a raging psychopath. Literally, all i thought about was food and killing people. It was a relief to be normal again and not feel like everyone in the world was part of a huge conspiracy to piss me off.

I went into it with an open mind and expected some side effects, but nothing like what i actually got.

DesperatelySeekingSedatives Thu 13-Oct-11 17:22:37

Having mine removed monday! smile Had it put in about 7 weeks ago. Had a period for 6 of those weeks. I now have pmt. Aleast I now know how it works: Constant period= no sex drive= no babies. hmm

Sarahplane Thu 13-Oct-11 17:30:10

Get it out. The implant suits some people really well but for others it's s nightmare. I gained 3 stone and went through 2 years of depression before I got mine taken out and within days I felt like me again and started being able to loose the weight.

AprilAl Thu 13-Oct-11 18:02:17

I never got on with hormonal contraceptives - weight gain, loss of libido (as someone else said, defeats the point of using contraceptive), didn't really feel feminine. I decided enough was enough and had a coil (non-hormonal) fitted and it was a fantastic decision. Bit of a pain (literally!) having it fitted, but you only need to have that done once every 8-10 years so it's no big deal and I've never looked back. Lost all the weight I'd put on and my libido returned with a vengeance (making up for the three years I'd kept it surpressed!) Best of all it doesn't interfere with your fertility at all, just prevents implantation, so there's no waiting for things to go back to normal when you decide it's time for a family. I got my BFP less than 3 weeks after I decided now was the time and had my last one removed grin

To be honest, I think the only downside is that they tend to make you a little evangelical about them whenever you hear anyone complain about their hormonal contraception wink

Get the implant removed, get a coil fitted. You won't regret it

So negative! I'm just going to chuck in my experience of having had it nearly three years (getting it replaced at Christmas) and have had no problems or pregnancies. I literally don't even notice it.

BabyMama212 Thu 13-Oct-11 19:48:56

I've got the implant now and if it weren't for the fact that my periods have stopped, I would have scalpel-ed it out a week after it was put in!

I had terrible mood swings, absolutely horrendous. They were worse than when I was actually pregnant! In the middle of ASDA I was blowing bubbles and grinning at my beautiful DS when my partner turns to me and says "Your son needs changing!" in this really lighthearted, jokey way.

I went BALLISTIC.

"WHY THE FUCK IS HE JUST "MY SON"?! WTF ARE YOU ON ABOUT, WERE YOU IN ARUBA OR SOMETHING WHEN HE WAS CONCEIVED?! HE'S HALF YOURS FOR FUCKS SAKE YOU CHEEKY CUNT, YOU CAN PISSING WELL CHANGE HIM SINCE I'VE FED HIM, BEEN UP WITH HIM ALL MORNING AND HAD HIM SHIT ON ME! YOU INCONSIDERATE PRICK!"

(that's almost verbatim.)

I then burst into tears, my partner looking ashen-faced, everyone else glaring at me. I still cringe whenever I think about that...

BabyMama212 Thu 13-Oct-11 19:49:26

Should have mentioned that they put me on tablets to control it until it settled down!

PrivateBenjamin Thu 13-Oct-11 21:16:00

Bahahaha Babymama212 I just properly laughed out loud at that.

In my implant hormone induced rage i was this () close to throwing a cup of coffee all over one of my workmates. His crime? He'd kindly made me a coffee but there was less milk than i preferred in it. I repressed the urge to hurt him and sarcastically said "thank you very much!". He backed away, scared.

Alwaysworthchecking Thu 13-Oct-11 22:05:11

I had mine taken out after two months. I bled constantly and really didn't fancy sex at all. In that respect, it was very effective, but not in the way that I'd hoped!

My GP was only too happy to agree to remove it. Mind you, I did make him promise at the outset that he'd remove it if ever I asked.

I also hated the way it felt in my arm. It didn't hurt - it just bothered me. Once I had it taken out I then got a proper period (oh good - more bleeding!) but once that stopped I was back to normal.

People on here told me that if your GP refuses, you can walk into a family planning clinic and they'll do it for you, no questions asked.

Oh my GOD I have just realised why I am the crazy shouty angry woman from hell, and have been for the last 6 months! I didn't even think of the blasted implant, was sobbing for hours last night to DP saying "I just don't know what's wrong with me or why I am so angry and stressed and annoyed all the time".

I actually thought I was loosing my mind. I'm having it out. Out out out.

NorfolkBroad Thu 13-Oct-11 22:40:23

Not got one myself but hate to say I have only heard people moaning about them! Never heard a happy story. I used to work in a women's health centre and we were inundated with women coming in to complain about theirs. Hope you get it sorted, must be horrible.

ThoseArentSpiritFingers Fri 14-Oct-11 00:28:39

I came off the implant about 8 months ago, and although have been able to lose most of the weight I put on the three years I had the implant, my sex drive is still zero and i htink this might be to do with the pill im on.

Is it a possibility to change the type of pill, or is it all basically the same make-up and the brand wont make a difference?

the idea of a coil scares me as it seems very invasive, but if its non-hormonal it might suit me better.... how does it work and is it easy to fit/remove?

I have had mine in for almost two and a half years.

Only because I am too scared to get it taken out. Not long until I have no choice about it. <pathetic> And the false hope encouraged by the doctor that things would get better and settle down.

I had it put in after LO was born. At the time he was just a few weeks old and I was in my pre-pregnancy clothes (they fit just fine only a few days after he was born, and this is relevant).

Within a week of getting the implant they were suddenly too tight. I am now two stone overweight and two dress sizes bigger.

I haven't changed my eating habits.

I cannot remember when I last had a period. But at the beginning I was having periods that lasted an entire month/five weeks and then having just two weeks without one before the next one started.

I hate the implant. There is no way in hell I am having it replaced and no way they are going to give me any sort of coil. I got pregnant while taking the pill. DH refuses a vasectomy. We both hate condoms.

The only answer is to give up sex, which thanks to the implant is not going to be a problem for me, I have almost zero interest in it anymore.

So no advice OP, but YANBU and you are not alone.

AprilAl Fri 14-Oct-11 00:55:34

RidingAlongInMyAutomobile I didn't really like the idea of a coil before I had one either, but I'd exhausted the hormonal options and knew they really didn't suit me. I ended up being so pleased with the results I used coils for the next 12 years. After we've finished making our family I'll have another fitted. Wouldn't ever use anything else.

I won't lie, it's not nice having them fitted (think a particularly uncomfortable smear test) but it's over in a few minutes. You might be crampy for a few hours afterwards, so I'd recommend taking some painkillers just before you go for the appointment to keep this to a minimum. By the next day you'll be fine again. Having it removed is a doddle - not exactly comfortable, but over in seconds.

So all in all you endure a few minutes of discomfort and in return, apart from possibly having slightly heavier periods (mine weren't noticeably heavier though), you'll have hassle free contraception for the next 8-10 years.

Beats all the hormonal methods' side-effects any day.

If you decide to go for it, just remember to make it clear you want a NON-hormonal coil wink

pinkdelight Fri 14-Oct-11 09:38:47

Hmm. Like YouHaveNoPower, I've had a fairly good experience with two implants. Especially like not having periods (and PMT!). But I have put on a bit of weight and just put it down to my diet/lifestyle. Am now wondering if implant is a factor. What are the drawbacks of the non-hormonal coil? Have heard it can be tricky/painful to fit.

Also, re. still getting pregnant with implant. That can be the case with all kinds of contraception, can't it? Apart from the permanent kind.

pinkdelight Fri 14-Oct-11 09:41:19

Have just read some of the downsides of the IUD. Will be sticking with implant!

NorksAkimbo Fri 14-Oct-11 10:00:29

I have a copper coil as well...absolutely FAB!! I can't and won't put hormones in...they make me nuts, and I'm just a bit wary of messing with body chemistry that way.

Downsides of the coil are pretty rare, and all the side effects (heavier periods, heavy cramping pre periods) only happened to me for the first 2 or 3 months, and then all went back to normal. In fact, my periods have actually gotten lighter!! I've had mine for 4 years now, and I wouldn't have anything else.

I love that I don't have to think about it, ever. No weight gain, no mood swings, and it lasts ages.

AprilAl Fri 14-Oct-11 10:54:42

Out of interest pinkdelight, when you looked at that list of downsides, did you compare it to a list of side-effects/downsides of any hormonal method? I really don't understand why hormonal methods are stil so popular. We wouldn't put all that crap in our bodies for any other reason, so why in the name of contraception?

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Fri 14-Oct-11 18:27:11

BabyMama212 That is really scary!

I think it's awful that something is available when it has such massive side effects. It seems to be quite pushed by drs as well. I would even think it could be dangerous if it makes you flip, plus a risk to relationships and your health with all that weight gain. Awful!

zo101 Fri 15-Aug-14 20:32:34

i had my implant for a month and had it taken out due to always feeling heated and just always hurting, i couldnt do much with my left arm as it would always ache! wouldnt suggest it to anyone!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now