tesco shopping trolleys.

(383 Posts)
mummummymum Sun 06-Mar-11 16:56:40

hello,
yesterday when i went shopping with my husband and four children who are all under 4 i couldn't find a shopping trolley with a double seat so needing two i had to make two of my children walk around getting bashed by everyone else who was shopping. when i asked the customer service advisor he informed me a store of that size (extra) only had to supply 2 double trolleys for the whole store!!! shock !!!!
so on we went with great frustration as the kids pick up everything they see asking "can we have this" so it takes twice as long!! angry
at the end while we were packing the shopping one of my children went missing and after looking for a few minutes a kind member of public brought my son to us from outside in the middle of the road. not only could he have been run over and killed but could have been taken but god know who!!
still the customer service advisor did not see this as his problem and couldn't have cared less, he even suggested it was unusual to have twins and four children over all and went on to say they should have been on rains!!!! angry by this point i was very distressed and making a fool of myself blush
is it unreasonable to ask for a trolley with two seats? !!!!!!!!!!!!!

views please xx

ClaraMay Sun 06-Mar-11 16:59:00

I understand your frustration but it is your responsibility to supervise your children and make sure they don't end up in the middle of the road! shock

AtYourVernalCervix Sun 06-Mar-11 17:00:33

yes.

UrsulaBouquet Sun 06-Mar-11 17:00:46

Couldn't one of you take the kids somewhere else while the other did the shopping?

ClaraMay Sun 06-Mar-11 17:00:55

And you had your husband with you!? Between the two of you it should be easy to make sure your child is safe.

JaneS Sun 06-Mar-11 17:02:02

That sounds a nightmare but surely it is really hard to get two double trolleys around the store anyway? Could you not have left the children with your DH and gone alone, or vice versa?

I have to say I would be, erm, peeved if I saw a couple both with double trolleys going around a small shop together, it'd be such a hassle for everyone else getting out of the way.

ladyfirenze Sun 06-Mar-11 17:02:49

how old are the dcs? could you have put the two oldest in two single trolley, and then you and dh carried one each of the younger? awkward I know but you gotta eat!

TheVisitor Sun 06-Mar-11 17:03:04

As a mother of triplets plus one, I'd say that it's your responsibility to keep an eye on your kids, and if you have your husband with you, there's no excuse. The reins suggestion is a good one. I was perfectly capable of taking my 3 year old triplets to the supermarket and keeping a close eye on them whilst shopping.

Awhiteelephantintheroom Sun 06-Mar-11 17:03:26

Our local Tesco has lots of trolleys with double seats in them. They are all crap though, stiff to push and old, dirty and tatty.

I agree with the others though; you should have supervised your children. If they are that badly behaved that they just run off, either you or your husband should have packed while the other watched the kids.

januaryjojo Sun 06-Mar-11 17:03:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ladyfirenze Sun 06-Mar-11 17:04:29

I have twins and singleton, so I have to think lateral like!

Mamaz0n Sun 06-Mar-11 17:04:42

I think you are in a minority to have 4 children under 4.

I have always been able to source double trolleys at every TEsco I have ever used so not sure why you found it so difficult, oither than the fact it was a weekend and it was busy so they were all in use.

I dont see why it is Tesco's problem that you have lots of young children and chose to take them all shopping with you despite you clearly finding it difficult to supervise them

mummummymum Sun 06-Mar-11 17:06:13

a small shop?, its the biggest they come!!
we have to have two trollys to get all the shopping for a six person family!!
we spend a fortune every week at tesco the least they could do is provide adiquate shopping trollys? sat is the only day we could go shopping with us both working full time, if i did the shopping on my own i would have to go round with a trolley, pay then go round again to get it all done. i really dont have time for that with 4 children!!!!!!!

FabbyChic Sun 06-Mar-11 17:07:28

Sorry but why does it take you and your husband to do the shopping with your children? Why can't one of you go alone.

What is this need that you have to take children shopping with you?

You are responsible for them not Tesco, so what if they did not have a double trolley, who gives a flying monkey.

So one was found out in the road, what the fuck were you doing that one of you couldn't watch them?

Leave the kids at home and go shopping solo, takes less time and less whinging.

Mamaz0n Sun 06-Mar-11 17:07:30

Thats your problem, not Tesco's

ChippyMinton Sun 06-Mar-11 17:07:50

Your children, your responsibility.
I don't understand why you all had to go shopping?

BTW I am not unsympathetic - I had 3 under 2.5yrs.

FabbyChic Sun 06-Mar-11 17:08:29

Whats wrong with getting it delivered on a Saturday? Too much like hard work for you?

majormayhem Sun 06-Mar-11 17:08:29

By double trolley, do you just mean the regular sized trolley with two child seats in it? If so, then YANBU. Loads of people have either twins or two small children at the same time. (Like me, for example).

That being said, I've never had a problem finding one when I need it.

i'd have stuck the DCs back in the car with DH and let him sing to them while I shopped in peace

IloveJudgeJudy Sun 06-Mar-11 17:09:48

Agree with FabbyChic. It doesn't take two of you to go shopping, or even better, do your shopping online. That would be much less stressful for everyone. Or, one of you could go shopping when they are all in bed so you don't get the whingeing of where's mummy/daddy going.

I can see it's a pain for you but it's not Tesco's fault that one of your DC was in the road, that's your fault.
I agree about the reins too.

JaneS Sun 06-Mar-11 17:10:41

I'm sorry, I thought Extra was the size up from the little corner-shop ones, my fault.

I guess doing two loads separately might be a solution, or carrying/wearing on a sling the littlest children.

Does sound like a right hassle though and you must have got a horrible fright from the child going missing, I think I would be pretty upset too.

ClaraMay Sun 06-Mar-11 17:10:44

Get it delivered!! It's the future

cheekeymonkey Sun 06-Mar-11 17:11:33

OMG sounds like a nightmare! Think I would shop on-line, get it delivered and so something far less stressful with the extra time. Only costs around £3 to have it delivered, with the cost of fuel now that actually saves me money.

inthesticks Sun 06-Mar-11 17:12:39

I wish they'd had such a thing as home delivery when I had two small children. Surely it's worth a small delivery fee to avoid all the time and hassle of dragging 4 DCs and DH around a supermarket?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now