To loathe Baby on Board

(111 Posts)
BellaMagnificat Wed 02-Mar-11 19:45:13

Even though, yeh,yeh, I understand it's all apparently about, if you're in an horrific accident, the rescue team can search for the baby ( if the sticker was still visible and the car seat was not...)

Actually it's a bit of smugness like 'we are pregnant' that makes me froth at the mouth and want to vom.

I have dogs in transit.

So there.

BellaMagnificat Wed 02-Mar-11 19:46:08

Oh, and a once a year for her MOT check, a cat, have just been reminded.

BellaMagnificat Wed 02-Mar-11 19:47:05

Also, where are they from? Have never seen them for sale anywhere. Perhaps they are given away free with nappies and Cow&Gate powder?

NotANaturalGeordie Wed 02-Mar-11 19:47:33

If these notices are there in case of an accident, why doesn't anyone take them out when the baby is NOT in the car? That's what bugs me. smile

YANBU

"Well I was going to drive into the back of you, but now I see you have an infant in the car I won't bother"

They're not used by the emergency services, that's just an urban myth. They are just "we are happy to tell you we've got a baby" signs, no more than that. I always read them as "Danger - sleep-deprived driver" signs grin

Firawla Wed 02-Mar-11 19:50:06

yes they tend to be given free i think, unless people wanna go for those pink "princess on board" or cheeky monkey on board kinda thing..

5DollarShake Wed 02-Mar-11 19:51:08

Tack-o-rama.

I mean, 'car decor'. Just why would you? confused

catwhiskers10 Wed 02-Mar-11 19:54:41

YANBU they are a pet hate of mine. It's like they need advertise the fact that they have a baby.
However... The first day we took my DD out in the car (apart from driving home from hospital) a total arsehole tried to bully us into another lane on the road and nearly drove into the side of our car and I wondered if maybe people had these signs to stop other cars doing stuff like that? Goes without saying though that you should be driving safely all the time, not just if a baby is on board.

Fourleaf Wed 02-Mar-11 19:56:24

YANBU, I have always wondered what the point of them was. They are very popular it seems... we have a baby but have never felt the need to stick one up.

LadyOfTheManor Wed 02-Mar-11 19:57:18

YANBU I hate them with a passion;

"Oh oh a baby on board, better slow down". As if. They piss me off.

And no, I've never seen them for sale, they're probably given away with free samples of Nestle milk powder.

ellangirl Wed 02-Mar-11 19:57:38

Lol at toomanybuttons! A gay friend of mine has 'princess on board'- always makes me laugh.

toeragsnotriches Wed 02-Mar-11 19:58:44

OK so flame me but I used to hate them too until I had a car refusnik DS2 who screamed everywhere we went. I just sort of hoped people would give me a wide berth because I was driving so craply. Also, found it useful on occasion in car parks when people couldn't figure why I was taking so long with my huge bum in the air fiddling around with something on the back seat. ( I was busy kneeing/elbowing DS2 into the car seat.)

But it's OUT now things have settled down. So it's OK drive into the back of me now! grin

toeragsnotriches Wed 02-Mar-11 19:59:53

Have also seen 'Grandchild on Board' and 'Expecting mum on board'. Ugh.

Dozer Wed 02-Mar-11 20:00:37

Yanbu. Totally agree, and the accident thing is bollocks too, as emergency services would surely see car seats.

DaydreamDollyisshrinking Wed 02-Mar-11 20:01:56

YANBU. Hate them. An ante natal friend has a massive day glo yellow one in her massive gas guzzling 4x4 and I am embarassed to park near her when we meet blush

JamaicaGeisha Wed 02-Mar-11 20:02:33

People are proud of their kids and show it in different (often superfluous and annoying) ways. You might not like that way. Get over it!

NotSoPukeyMummy Wed 02-Mar-11 20:37:34

MIL told me there was an accident (or maybe more than one accident) in the 60's or 70's where a baby wasn't spotted after an accident, it was all over the news, and that is how they came about (in the days before car seats).

MIL wouldn't lie to me, surely? shock

5DollarShake Wed 02-Mar-11 20:39:22

Oh, we're over it. We're just judging freely and wantonly while we're at it. grin.

NotSoPukeyMummy Wed 02-Mar-11 20:40:31

OK, Wikipedia says it's an urban myth created to help sell the things.

Am still shock at MIL telling me something untrue!

<plots a way to let her know this and make her feel bad...>

BTW, I bought one for our car when DD was born because of what MIL said, then took the thing down - farking thing was blocking my view out of the back window.

BusyMissIzzy Wed 02-Mar-11 20:42:01

You'd hate me then grin, I have a pink heart-shaped one with a little cuddly bird hanging from it. It's purely decorative, I have no illusions of it being informative to emergency services or whatever. I saw it in Babies 'R' Us (was there with ILs not long after DD was born) liked it, and bought it. Of course YANBU to dislike them, but I never understand the vitriol they seem to get on here. Horses for courses, surely? <shrug>

NotSo - nope sorry it's an urban myth!

Edinburghlass Wed 02-Mar-11 20:48:57

Purely bragging about your own fertility - can't stand them

Elizadoesdolittle Wed 02-Mar-11 20:51:47

YANBU - they are a pet hate of mine too. I drive no differently now I have a DD, and I treat drivers with a baby on board sign no differently to any other driver, so to me they are pointless tack.
I like to think I am a good driver and don't suffer road rage (much grin) and I don't think arseholes bad drivers will look at a car with a baby on board sign and think ah there is a baby in that car I had better stop driving like a complete tosser.

toomanycakes Wed 02-Mar-11 20:52:55

YANBU, I cannot bear the things!

camerondiazepam Wed 02-Mar-11 20:54:57

AMumInScotland - I also think "sleep-deprived driver" or possibly "my 2 dcs are screaming at each other, my driving is likely to be severely impaired as blood seeps from my ears".

Hate them. Makes me want to rear end the car, gently of course grin

Although there is an argument to say that there is a market for announcing who is in the car:

'Selfish lane hogging cunt on board'
'Elderly Sunday driver on board'
'Irritating indecisive faffer on board'
'Braying, short person who can barely see over the steering wheel but is nevertheless chatting on mobile phone on board'
'Texting teenager on board'

ad nauseum

MaxiCosy Wed 02-Mar-11 20:56:12

In the years I was trying to get pregnant seeing one of those (particularly the 'bump on board' type) used to, at different times of the month, bring me to a boiling anger, a pathetic jealousy or sobbing puddle.

I hate them. Someone bought me one when I had DD1 and has commented that I don't use it but I manage to keep my mouth shut and just say nothing. I know the hatred is irrational but I really hate them.

ShinyMoonInAPurpleSky Wed 02-Mar-11 20:58:47

We didn't have one for months after ds was born but after getting seriously pissed off with people driving up our arses we decided to buy one simply in the hope that it would make some drivers think twice about tailgaiting us.

Dylthan Wed 02-Mar-11 21:02:54

Yanbu they are a way of decorating your car like fluffy dice or those nodding dogs.

If decorating your car is what floats your boat then go for it grin but don't think your alerting the emergency services or that wanky drivers will suddenly re think their wanky driving ways when around your car.

Dh was a fireman and I asked about these things and he told me that they wouldn't waste time looking for a baby on board sign what they would do instead is physically look to see if their was a baby.

sofaqueenie Wed 02-Mar-11 21:10:11

I have one.

You're just all jealous because your meager benefit money just won't stretch that far.

snala Wed 02-Mar-11 21:13:18

<yawn> this old chestnut.

YABU - and need to get a grip! Who gives a shit?

'bragging over your own fertility' hmm
You can buy them for pets, are they bragging that they can have a dog?

Maybe people just like having them? Most parents wouldn't ever think of it as bragging, its just a purchase they made in a shop.

Like it or not they do seem to do the trick with impatient drivers cutting people up etc
Wheres the harm?

(by the way people that are happy about being pregnant are possibly just happy,not smug.They maybe saw the sign and thought it was cute - Just a thought)

Annabel7 Wed 02-Mar-11 21:22:46

They make people behind you slow down/give you a wider berth. Reason enough, I reckon. Not necessarily to brag about your fertility or be smug about having children. Don't know what you're all getting your knickers in a twist about...

mindtheagegap Wed 02-Mar-11 21:28:25

They make me want to ram the car, not slow down. Why is having a'baby on board' more precious than having any other human being on board? Waste of space tat.

cheekeymonkey Wed 02-Mar-11 21:30:52

What about 'iron on board'? Surely that's even worse?

Annabel7 Wed 02-Mar-11 21:31:58

'makes me want to ram the car' - the car being likely to have a baby inside it. Nice.

PeeringIntoTheWintryVoid Wed 02-Mar-11 21:36:39

I'm shock at how many other people also loathe these signs - I thought I was alone in this. grin

I don't know where you all are, either, because I can't remember ever seeing a car with a small child in it that doesn't have one of these - I thought it'd become mandatory to declare to the world that you've managed to have a baby, and that all other motorists must therefore excuse your crap and inattentive driving. smile

My carseat came with a free sticker which read

"rear-facing kid on board".

I have opted for a rear facing stage 1 seat but seriously I would have to be Mrs Smugton the Mayoress of Smug town to use this sticker. [vom]

mindtheagegap Wed 02-Mar-11 21:39:35

Makes me want to Annabel - not makes me actually ram it, cos whilst I hate those signs I'm not actually a psycho (and its clearly not the baby's fault that the parents have no taste smile).

sunnydelight Wed 02-Mar-11 21:40:32

YANBU. Do people think there is something "cute" about them? Barf!

parakeet Wed 02-Mar-11 21:47:47

I know a mum who has "Twins on board"

Taking boasting about fertility to new heights, surely.

And CheekyMonkey - if it was pathetic puns I wanted, I'd be talking to my husband instead of coming on MumsNet

Sparkles23 Wed 02-Mar-11 21:50:54

I used to think they were ridiculous before I realised what they were actually meant for, I thought shouldn't matter if baby on board or not, should drive properly regardless but then someone pointed out they were for the emergency services in case of an accident. I know it may sound ridiculous that they could miss a car seat/baby but it's just not worth the risk tbh if God forbid an accident happened. I always stick ours on when driving as ds is only 6 months old and take it off if driving without him in the car.

Digressing slightly but I hate with a passion the baby on board badges on tube! I confess i did get one when preggers as had no bump 'til 7 months and just wanted to not get shoved/elbowed/run into! (never felt I needed a seat tbh) but couldn't bring myself to wear it as would have felt like a twat!!

snala Wed 02-Mar-11 21:53:40

I personally don't have an opinion.I don't see how they could be cute or 'barf' sunnydelight. They are little pieces of card in a car window?confused
I just think its rather facinating and amusing that people are bothered about other people have them.

I don't have one, I just have more important things to think about wink

toeragsnotriches Wed 02-Mar-11 21:59:00

grin sparkles . Ime, in all my pregnancies I felt my worst when not looking preggers at all. Did take a school trip once on the DLR with my devilish darling Y11 students. One of them announced loudly to the carriage "Ain't anyone giving up their seat for Miss when she's so f***ing pregnant?" shock

Dylthan Wed 02-Mar-11 22:00:27

But the emergency services don't use them sparkles if they did then they would be far less likely to find a little piece of card then a baby confused

EmptyCrispPackets Wed 02-Mar-11 22:01:54

YANBU

Worse of all:

Little Princess on board

Little Monkey on board

Or the ones with a childs name on them.

spidookly Wed 02-Mar-11 22:06:23

LOL @ posting on this thread just to point out that you have more important things to think about. Um, yeah course you do.

The reason people hate these things is because they imply that babies are more important than other humans, and that is just bollocks.

Until it becomes commonplace for cars without human occupants to be on the road, badges that tell you about the preciousness of the occupants are redundant and distasteful.

i think they are naff. My biggest issues with them is that the people that have them are ususally the ones who also drive at totally innappropriate (too fast) speeds around supermarket car parks etc.....

ShinyMoonInAPurpleSky Wed 02-Mar-11 22:09:09

My baby is more precious to me than any other human that could also be inside my car. Therefore, as I said before, if having one of those signs stops someone driving too close to the back of my car then it has done it's job.

Joolyjoolyjoo Wed 02-Mar-11 22:14:42

I also hate them. As if that arsehole on your tail is suddenly going to turn into a decent driver just because you may or may not have a baby/ child/ granny on board! That idiot doesn't consider his driving to be dangerous, so he isn't going to change it just because of a plastic sign, and the rest of us who drive sensibly won't drive any differently either!

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Wed 02-Mar-11 22:19:13

I hate them for all the reasons cited above and a little bit more on top.

My son's nanny has 'Ex-Boyfriend in Boot' - I can forgive her that.

Sparkles23 Wed 02-Mar-11 22:26:41

Toerags Me too, worse bit is definitely v early stages when no one knows! Many a journey squashed against the doors nibbling my Natural Confectionary Co jelly worms (only thing stopped me feeling faint!) ha ha on second thoughts maybe a Baby on Board would have made me look slightly less of a freak!

Dylthan Good point-the sign actually is always falling down anyway in the car, I'm forever re-attaching it! So a crash I'm sure it would be nowhere to be seen, hmmm maybe I'll take it down altogether so!

thefruitwhisperer Wed 02-Mar-11 22:32:39

I was overtaken by a knobface doing 80mph in a 40 zone!!! He cut up about 3 other people!!!

And yet I'm the one who is meant to be careful in case I hit his infant filled sporty BMW!!!

thefruitwhisperer Wed 02-Mar-11 22:33:19

What sort of knobface puts a baby on board sign on a sports car anyway?!?!

lurcherlover Thu 03-Mar-11 00:01:23

I always hated them before being pregnant and swore I would never have one...now DS is 4 months old and last week I stuck one in my rear windscreen. It is not at all to alert the emergency services or because I'm showing off - it's because I find when I have DS in the car I'm more paranoid than I would be otherwise, and tend to take longer to make sure the road is absolutely clear before pulling out to turn right etc - I got fed up with cars behind me being rude, revving up etc so I thought the sticker might at least give them some idea of why I'm being extra-cautious. I have to say, I think it is working so far.

Absolutely hate the "little princess on board" and "grandchild on board" style ones though. Tacky in the extreme.

spidookly Thu 03-Mar-11 00:46:32

Having one of those signs won't stop someone crashing into you. They will just make someone think you are a dick.

You shouldn't be driving differently when you have a baby in the car. If you are too tired or distracted to drive, please stay off the road, there are other people out there all, of whom are somebody's precious baby (ffs) and who would prefer not to be crashed into by you.

You don't need to be extra cautious with a baby - either you need to take more care all the time because you are usually a poor driver, or your "ultra-caution" is slowing progression, which is poor, incosiderate and potentially dangerous.

If you think a bumper sticker keeps you are your precious baby safer, you are an idiot.

mayorquimby Thu 03-Mar-11 00:46:40

They fill me with rage.
It's the smugness and also the assumption that if I was going to have an accident it would be because I had decided to have one and was carefully selecting who I should plow in to.

sofaqueenie Thu 03-Mar-11 06:35:29

Oh my God spidookly - you sound sooo hate filled!!!!

Tis nothing but a sticker, yes?!

Bunbaker Thu 03-Mar-11 06:58:09

I am not a fan of car stickers of any kind. The only time I have used one is when we are on holiday and I put the National Trust one in the window so that we don't have to pay for parking at National Trust properties.

I couldn't care less who is in the car in front or what other car they own, as long as the driver is driving safely.

spidookly Thu 03-Mar-11 07:22:13

Exactly - it's only a sticker. It doesn't have any magical talismanic powers to keep your ickle baby safe in a crash.

The only power it has is to make other drivers think you are an arsehole. Although, from the evidence if this thread it is very powerful in that regard

mousesma Thu 03-Mar-11 07:22:33

Done to death, perhaps you could start a thread about parent and child spaces next or child free weddings or dogs on leads blah blah blah

My husband insisted buying one of these when DS was born. He seemed to think people would back off, slow down, not park so close so we could get the pram/ car seat in and out, and that it would explain any crap driving (like an L-plate smile ).

I was a bit blush and hmm.

Fortunately the winters here are so cold the plastic went brittle and the thing disintegrated. Result! grin

You can get them in Halfords BTW.

BigHairyGruffalo Thu 03-Mar-11 08:42:04

Completely agree with spidookly

A baby might be the most important person in the world to its parents, but that doesn't actually make it any more important than anyone else. I would find it very strange if people had to advertise their 'human worth' in this way to avoid being crashed into.

Imagine, 'Neuro surgeon on board', 'Particle physicist on board' etc. hmm

emptyshell Thu 03-Mar-11 08:52:41

I hate them. I don't drive differently when I see them, I just mentally rewrite them to "Smug wanker on board."

Came across a pair of corkers yesterday though that did make me raise an eyebrow.

"Brothers on board... Connor and Craig"
and
"Devoted siblings on board... Kirstie and Freddie"

Names changed because I can't remember them but I do remember thinking - do you really really want to advertise all your children's names to any random person... especially parked at a park like it was where there's the potential for someone to see you getting out of the car, clock the kid's names and then go chat to them when you're distracted getting ice cream or what-not.

I've currently got a tenner bet on my sister-in-law having one - I think it's a dead cert £20 for me.

Mammie81 Thu 03-Mar-11 08:55:57

Theres a car downstairs that has the following sign on it :

Lily Rai on board.

Theres a boy one on it too but I cant remember the specific name, it was obviously so BLURGH that my memory refused to suffer it.

MissVerinder Thu 03-Mar-11 09:05:50

Mine says-

"I am a nurse. I have an IQ of 158, a mortgage, a partner and a daughter. please don't kill me with your shite driving." grin

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Thu 03-Mar-11 09:13:37

Agrees with Spidookly also... but laughing at some of the witty responses too. grin

sunnydelight Thu 03-Mar-11 10:35:26

I'm loving the sniffy "I've got more important things to worry about" responses from people who obviously have them grin

roulade Thu 03-Mar-11 11:10:42

I have one and it has my children's names on it but only because it was a gift when my baby was born. I can't stand it as I think they are tacky but I think it would be rude to just bin it. I will have to engineer a way to damage or lose it grin

HeidiKat Thu 03-Mar-11 11:13:45

I was behind a car yesterday that had no fewer than 5 of these "Baby on board" "Small person on board" "Little Rangers fan on board" etc, how they could see out the back window I have no idea.

Pixie83 Thu 03-Mar-11 11:19:13

God what a load of miseries you are! I am starting to find more and more posts moaning or bitching about very harmless and pretty pointless subjects - baby on board signs? What harm do they do?

Do they really spoil anybody's day, really? I loathe people who think it's funny to joke about ramming cars with babys in, personally.

Am signing off from mumsnet, me thinks, as it is full of miserable, bitter, bitching old witches! And I'm not going to hang around to read your bitchy remarks about me, so bitch away - ha ha!

HeidiKat Thu 03-Mar-11 11:27:01

BaronessBomburst, I can see how your husband thought that way. When I am parking in a car park with no parent and child spaces, or there are none available, I usually park in a quiet part of the carpark with a space on the passenger side to let me get the car seat in and out easily. I was hoping that the baby on board sticker would alert people to the fact that I need space to get the baby in and out and hopefully they would park in another space or at least not 3 inches from my car but unfortunately it hasn't worked, I have often had to squeeze in through a miniscule gap. I think that people who don't have kids just don't think about this, but to be fair before I had one I didn't realise what a faff bloody car seats are either.

ginnny Thu 03-Mar-11 11:31:46

Its like cuddly toys in a car, all lined up on the parcel shelf.
YOU ARE A GROWN WOMAN WITH A DRIVING LICENCE FFS - NOT A 5 YEAR OLD GIRL.

emptyshell Thu 03-Mar-11 12:37:30

What harm do they do?

Apart from the fact there are a few cars around here with so much stuff "on board" in the back window that I wonder how they see what's behind them...

They actually can really really upset people who can't have babies on board. Some people have mentioned this on the thread already and been conveniently ignored. On the worst day - and I've had a fair few in the year of supreme shit that was 2010 - they can seem like they're sat there, all yellow and diamondy shaped, taunting you and laughing at you. I did give more than fleeting thought to an ebay venture selling "infertile woman on board" stickers as a counter response - then gave it up because I'm a lazy bugger to be honest.

Plus the "little princess on board" shite just makes me want to vomit anyway - I'm allergic to pink and sparkly.

As for the toys on the parcelshelf - there's a Corsa around our way that has the entire collection of the cuddly toys from the Corsa advert which is a bit daft.

ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Sun 17-Mar-13 19:32:11

Surely parents who adopt or use a surrogate can also have a baby on board sign? So in what way is it an affront to people who can't biologically have children?
Genuinely puzzled.
Amongst all the arguments I can see the merit in the parking space one.

gordyslovesheep Sun 17-Mar-13 19:39:44

wow you must have searched hard for this thread!

wrongsideoftheroad Sun 17-Mar-13 19:41:28

They are just a modern version of those window stickers that had "Dawn" and "Trevor" on them in the front of a Ford Escort, aren't they?

For people who just cannot STFU about themselves, even when driving.

BambieO Sun 17-Mar-13 19:45:51

I don't have one but I think the statement re the nappies and formula milk was a poor attempt at a bunfight if ever I have seen one hmm

wrongsideoftheroad Sun 17-Mar-13 19:46:35

Oops, lazareth thread, sorry!

I love the term "genuinely puzzled" - it always prefaces something highly disingenuous.

hopethesnowgoessoon Sun 17-Mar-13 19:50:11

Hate them - after another round of failed ivf I finally pulled myself together and went out first car i saw at lights had "baby on board sign" thought stop rubbing it in burst into hormonal tears and had to go home ! Smug people bragging !

skratta Sun 17-Mar-13 19:53:53

Zombie, your name is VERY appropriate for this thread.

THE LAST POST OR SO WAS IN 2011!

vix206 Sun 17-Mar-13 19:54:16

Smug people bragging? Seriously? I think people are taking these harmless signs too much to heart. I'd rather see a baby on board sign than some passive aggressive or just downright negative sign on the back of somebody's car. Each to their own but smugness and bragging is the last thing that occurs to me when I see the signs. I just think 'oh there's a baby on board. On with my day!'

hamdangle Sun 17-Mar-13 19:54:55

I hate them too but then I hate all car decoration. And the cuddly toys.

But worst offence by far is the sticker that says 'powered by fairy dust' across the back window. That one makes me want to weep. I always imagine that the woman driving the car is the sort of person who describes themselves as 'wacky' and has a pink fluffy light up pen in a pen holder on her desk in work.

I have a friend who bought eyelashes for the headlights on her car. Words fail me.

Snugglepiggy Sun 17-Mar-13 19:59:05

This may not be popular but I also hate those Black and yellow Think bike stickers.Why?I try to drive carefully for the sake of car drivers ,pedestrians and bike users alike.And myself and my vehicle of course.But it seems to me a lot of the motor bike riders around her don't Think Car when they are speeding and weaving around the country lanes so why are they special.Makes me feel Im being lectured.

ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Sun 17-Mar-13 20:00:06

Ah I was searching for comments on the baby on board signs for the Tube and found this!
Must check age of last post before I add ny two penny'orth. blush

BambieO Sun 17-Mar-13 20:00:39

I don't understand why someone shouldn't put a sign up for fear of upsetting someone who can't have children? It's not like the people who have them choose to think 'oh I bet I drive next to someone who can't have children, this will really sock it to them when they're down'.

I think sometimes people think the whole world literally revolves around them.

People might have received them as gifts or might believe they make it safer, whatever, who cares really?

Don't like them don't have one. It's that easy. I don't like them so I don't have one, seeing them doesn't bother me though.

cherryvanillajam Sun 17-Mar-13 20:07:56

OMG, so much rage and hatred about something so harmless! Some of your responses frighten me - a sticker on a car really makes you want to 'ram it' from behind? Some vile posts and horrible sounding people on here - sickening to read such hate filled posts.

TheCatIsUpTheDuff Sun 17-Mar-13 20:16:23

I loathe them, but was chatting to a fireman one day and asked him, and he says he does look for them, and does make sure and look for a baby if he's called to an accident and there's one in the car.

CloudsAndTrees Sun 17-Mar-13 20:28:19

I don't like them either. It implies that the driver thinks their baby's life is more important than anyone else's, which it simply isn't. Babies are no more important than any other human being.

float62 Sun 17-Mar-13 20:42:11

Back in the day, I wanted one that said: "Never mind the Baby, B***h driving".

Lifeisontheup Sun 17-Mar-13 20:44:27

I'm in the ambulance service and it has never crossed my mind to look for a baby on board sign at an RTC. Would look for evidence of a baby but never a sticker, have never heard any of my colleagues in any emergency service say they take any notice of them.

Popsie3 Sun 17-Mar-13 20:51:24

Nothing worse than 'Yummy Mummy on board' Why Why Why would anyone have this! [Embarrassed]

Popsie3 Sun 17-Mar-13 20:52:39

Whoops I mean blush!!!!

Phineyj Sun 17-Mar-13 21:23:23

During the years I was TTC and failing I did find them baffling and upsetting, particularly the 'Grandchildren on Board' ones because i) how often are the grandchildren in the car, really? and ii) to me it read "we are fertile and so are our children" and I'd think "wah, I'm not and I'm letting my parents down..."

Helpmeout1 Sun 17-Mar-13 21:40:41

Eh?!!! I never once ever, ever, EVER had a moment's smugness putting ours in. It was from the pound shop or somewhere like that. Very ugly. Just thought it's better to have one than not - when I see one hanging in a car it does remind me to drive (even more) cautiously.

Helpmeout1 Sun 17-Mar-13 21:41:31

"We are fertile and so are our children," - are you freaking kidding me?!

BambieO Sun 17-Mar-13 22:02:44

helpmeout tell me about it, self obsessesion at its peak! I'm sure that's exactly what the grandparents thought when putting the sign up 'we are all fertile how better to celebrate than a car sign'. It's a crime these days to be grateful for what you have.

BambieO Sun 17-Mar-13 22:03:34

People with children must all stay indoors for fear of upsetting a stranger

Helpmeout1 Sun 17-Mar-13 22:17:19

Jeez Louise

Pigsmummy Sun 17-Mar-13 22:21:25

I asked a friend why, they said that the BOB sign was "so that people wouldn't crash into them".........

The other day I saw one saying "Dylon on board". I was very confused...

MarianForrester Sun 17-Mar-13 22:28:30

YADNBU

space21 Sun 17-Mar-13 22:33:32

I have one. Took us 6 years and 3 mcs and we were chuffed to fuck to be able to put one in the car.

If that makes me smug over my fertility so be it.

YABU

ComposHat Mon 18-Mar-13 00:42:40

They are diddly squat use for the fire and rescue services.

A fire fighter with decades worth of experience told me that they search they go to the drivers seat first (as there's always a driver) and then examine the back seat and then the front seat, regardless of wanky stickers.

MansView Mon 18-Mar-13 15:58:39

RE: - 'It's like they need advertise the fact that they have a baby. '

indeed - the fact it's stuck to a people carrier tells me everything I need to know...

all car stickers ate are shite... I saw one the other year on the back of a micra - 'go on small cock, overtake me..!'

I duly did... smile

MamaBear17 Mon 18-Mar-13 16:25:27

My husband hates them too, but I have never understood why. Doesn't really bother me, although we don't have one. I dont think people are bragging about being fertile though; I think they are probably just another example of daft things people buy when they have a kid.

MrsMelons Mon 18-Mar-13 18:11:49

I really can't understand why it actually bothers people. I think its fine, we never had one as had blacked out windows so you wouldn't have seen it but I really don't understand the issue. We would have done though as am not sure why it matters either way. It surely can't actually offend people?

xigris Mon 18-Mar-13 19:00:29

Hamdangle if there's one sure fire way to annoy me it's those wanky "powered by fairy dust" stickers. Bollocks are they. Your car is powered by petrol or diesel like every other car on the road (unless it's electric or something) and as for those eyelash things. As you said, words fail me. I work with a girl who has the lot. The lot.We're talking fairy crap, eyelashes, cuddly toys AND a little princess on board sticker. Personally I think she deserves 8 points on her licence.

MansView Tue 19-Mar-13 11:53:32

who actually puts them on - the women, or the man..?

maybe it's the woman who's insecure to ward off other women?

I lived with someone and she placed one of her white hats behind the back seats for everyone to see...

Madmum24 Tue 19-Mar-13 12:05:37

I did read an article once regarding these and a psychologist did actually say that this was mans subconcious way of showing his virility to the nation whether you want ot believe it or not is another matter

I drive the same regardless as to whether there is a baby/princess/cute bishon frise in the car in front.

I do actually know a couple who wouldn't drive their car because they couldn't find their "baby on board" hangy thing <weird>

Crawling Tue 19-Mar-13 12:11:51

I dont have one that sais baby on board but I do have a warning on mine it says Mad Cow is that as bad?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now