Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think that anynoe who believes in star signs is a complete numpty?

(679 Posts)
bettybosseye Tue 01-Feb-11 18:52:25

I mean it's so clearly such a great stinking heap of horse shit, how can anyone actually believe it?
Another mum at playgroup today was telling me what kind of personality my 9 month old will have based solely on her star sign.
All pleasant enough stuff but she actually believed it.
What's wrong with people?

kerala Tue 01-Feb-11 18:54:45

YANBU utter tosh and am afraid if someone talks seriously about them I leap to the "bit dim" conclusion. That said a super intelligent top lawyer I worked with believed in them which I found really odd.

Like the story of the journalist on the local paper who said the journo that finished first on a Friday got to write the star signs grin

bubblewrapped Tue 01-Feb-11 18:55:16

I have always found there is some truth in the traits that each star sign has. Everyone that I know is just like their typical star sign, but I have no idea why.

I dont believe in horoscopes, and think they are a crock of shite.. because 1 in 12 of the population are not going to have the same thing happen to them at the same time.

AtYourCervix Tue 01-Feb-11 18:55:18

utter hrseshite but Leos are the best.

RealityIsKnockedUp Tue 01-Feb-11 18:56:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AgentZigzag Tue 01-Feb-11 18:56:21

My 10 YO DD1 has just got some Zodiac Girls book and has been banging on about what star signs people are.

I put her straight with words not dissimilar to yours grin

Mymblesson Tue 01-Feb-11 18:56:36

Newspaper horoscopes are always generalised crap for the reason bubblewrapped says.

Detailed Natal charts are a mite more interesting, however.

unfitmother Tue 01-Feb-11 18:56:49

YANBU

EauRouge Tue 01-Feb-11 18:56:58

YANBU, star signs are utter guff. The reason so many people fit their profile is because they are just a long list of very vague personality traits that could apply to anyone.

mutznutz Tue 01-Feb-11 18:57:14

Load of old bollocks. People are people no matter what their signs...and all the 'traits' the signs are supposed to show, can be found in just about everyone.

joydivisionovengloves Tue 01-Feb-11 18:58:03

YANBU. Total bobbins.

kerala Tue 01-Feb-11 18:58:30

Awww Agentzigzag think star signs are fine for 10 year olds grin its when adults take them seriously that is peculiar.

Hassled Tue 01-Feb-11 18:58:38

YANBU. A twelfth of the world's population sharing character traits because they were born in roughly the same month - tis madness.

I have no interest in them, so much so when someone asked me what starsigns my children were I couldnt answer because I didnt know.

grin at Reality.

HecateQueenOfWitches Tue 01-Feb-11 18:59:48

Oh no. I live and breathe my star sign.

My character is exactly as my star sign says it is supposed to be.

Oh, hang on, wait a minute.

whoopsie

I'm now an Ophiuchus.

I wonder what my personality is now?

Well, waddya know. I guess it is all horse shit after all...

grin

AgentZigzag Tue 01-Feb-11 19:01:25

I was too hard on her with the realism wasn't I kerala?

Ah well...grin

GrimmaTheNome Tue 01-Feb-11 19:02:07

You may all enjoy this
grin

bettybosseye Tue 01-Feb-11 19:06:43

I wonder why it's such big business? I do think that grown up people taking this stuff seriously must have a screw loose somewhere.
Don't even get me started on clairvoyants!

Someone decrying astrology to me explained that he believed personality traits could have been influenced in utero by what the mother ate when pregnant, and that since until fairly recently everything you ate would be seasonal and local, the in-utero environment would be greatly influenced by the foods available so that could account for supposed shared traits to those born around the same time. He then realised that he'd actually supported astrology, albeit through the latitude/longitude/birthdate rather than "the stars" -his pained expression was a picture!

Does anyone know if personality is affected by mother's diet in pregnancy?

Not that I believe such nonsense, we Aquarians are famously sceptical ... grin

RamblingRosa Tue 01-Feb-11 19:07:47

YANBU

bettybosseye Tue 01-Feb-11 19:09:42

GrimmaTheNome- OMG are these people for real? Scary stuff.

Lamorna Tue 01-Feb-11 19:10:57

It is useless if you go for sun sign astrology, but it is very accurate if you take the exact time and place of birth. Lots of businesses use it, they just don't admit to it!

GrimmaTheNome Tue 01-Feb-11 19:11:33

>Does anyone know if personality is affected by mother's diet in pregnancy?

no, but I think there have been studies linking various ailments to when a child was conceived/born. That is a scientifically credible, testable hypotheisis. It in no way supports that the alignment of lumps of rock or blobs of gas in space have any predictive effect on an individuals fortune or finances.

woollyideas Tue 01-Feb-11 19:11:41

YANBU.
And I'd like to add feng shui to the general list of arrant nonsense.

Adversecamber Tue 01-Feb-11 19:12:34

My MIL is completely in to astrology and had mine and DH chart "done" even though I said don't bother. If you say anything she will immediatly be "that's because your venus is rising in capricorns something or rather". Drives us potty. I think if you read them for a bit of a laugh ok but to actually live your life by them is just plain worrying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now