to get fed up with ignorant people on trains who take up 2 seats for 1 person

(49 Posts)
magimix Mon 24-Jan-11 11:24:08

time and time again you get on a busy train and for some reason people are sitting on the aisle seat with their luggage on the window seat, now correct me if I am wrong but the luggage does'nt have a ticket, so why do people think they can hog the train seats like this, so annoying when passengers have to stand.

mutznutz Mon 24-Jan-11 11:26:46

I wouldn't blood stand because of it shock

I can understand some people doing it when the train/bus is virtually empty cos it's easier to make sure nothing falls out.

But if there were no other seats, I'd ask them to move their luggage.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 24-Jan-11 11:27:00

I do this if there are plenty of seats as the floor is always filthy. But once the train is filling up I'd put my bag on the floor. If someone didn't move it and I couldn't find a seat then I'd ask/tell them to move it. I know you shouldn't need to ask but I guess some people are thoughtless or dim.

mutznutz Mon 24-Jan-11 11:27:20

bloody not blood lol blush

JaneS Mon 24-Jan-11 11:35:38

Ask them to move it, it's easy. I've heard of people who won't but never actually seen anyone who doesn't move bags when asked.

I think more fool you if you stand fuming waiting for someone to notice you.

mrsheathcliffe Mon 24-Jan-11 11:38:09

Agree with LRD

I agree with LRD

JaneS Mon 24-Jan-11 11:42:51

grin

The great Trillian agrees with me! wink

ViolaTricolor Mon 24-Jan-11 11:44:12

I agree with LRD grin.

bubblewrapped Mon 24-Jan-11 11:44:35

I would just say "excuse me can I sit there"... (I have to say at that time in a morning I feel more like saying "shift your fecking bag you selfish twat".. )..

I certainly wouldnt stand there giving dirty looks to someones bag.

BlueFergie Mon 24-Jan-11 11:47:02

Just ask them to move it ffs. Who on earth would stand rather than do this?

Hammy02 Mon 24-Jan-11 12:13:02

I always ask people to move their bags so that I can sit down. Loads of people seem to just give others the evils rather than having the bottle to just ask them to move.

DuelingFanjo Mon 24-Jan-11 12:15:15

"so why do people think they can hog the train seats like this"

What's the problem? Just ask them to move the bag. confused

Rannaldini Mon 24-Jan-11 12:17:39

where is the am i being unreasonable?

if you marched up to the first culprit grabbed the seat hogging bag and lobbed it off the train then yabu

if you are making an observation
meh

belledechocchipcookie Mon 24-Jan-11 12:17:44

ds used to shout 'it's shocking how many people pay for their bag to have a seat!' blush It did the job and gave the whole of the bus a laugh.

reluctanthomosapien Mon 24-Jan-11 12:18:01

I used to pretty much go and sit down on top of said luggage if it wasn't moved pronto, that usually does the trick.

HeroShrew Mon 24-Jan-11 12:18:14

a snidey friendly "I'm sorry, I think your bag is in my seat" usually works.

Hammy02 Mon 24-Jan-11 12:20:19

If one person has kindly put their bags on the floor while another has hogged the seat with their bags, I will always go for the seat hogger. Just to cheese them off!

CarrotsAreNotTheOnlyVegetables Mon 24-Jan-11 12:35:59

Tell them to move their bag. Or sit on it.

I have never had any problem getting people to shift their bags if I ask them directly.

Sometimes people get on a train when it is empty so think its Ok to put their bag down next to them then don't notice when the train fills up.

Its not usually direct rudeness, just a bit thoughtless.

minibmw2010 Mon 24-Jan-11 12:37:27

I just say "excuse me" and look pointedly at the seat and generally that tends to get the bags moved. What really irks me is when people sit on the outside of a set of two seats clearly hoping no-one will sit on the inside, grrrr. Also, I refuse to ask "is someone sitting there", usually an "excuse me" is enough to get them to move for me. I figure I pay enough for the seat so if there's no one there at the time, its my seat.

weedle Mon 24-Jan-11 12:48:36

What's worse is when you're in a 4 seater on a fairly empty train and some fuckwit person comes and sits directly opposite you so your knees are touching!

Why? Why would you do that?

<and breathe>

ViolaTricolor Mon 24-Jan-11 12:55:41

I also hate knee-spreading men, whose arses may well be contained by their allotted seat, but whose taste for scrotal ventilation encroaches on my leg room and on my brain.

togarama Mon 24-Jan-11 12:58:08

Is this really a major problem? I just ask politely and people always move their bag. Usually they're just facing the other way and haven't noticed the train filling up.

WimpleOfTheBallet Mon 24-Jan-11 13:01:26

Knee spreading men get my pointy elbows in their ribs! It's the same ones who think the arm rest is ALL theirs...I once said "Half each mate...you've got my bit too" after a bit of jostling...he looked like this shock

belledechocchipcookie Mon 24-Jan-11 13:02:59

You've obviously been on the Derby to Nottingham train weedle. wink

OpenAmyrillis Mon 24-Jan-11 13:09:34

YABU, just ask them to move the bag for goodness sake! Its the people who practically set up camp on the 4 seater table arrangements that get my goat! The other day I saw a woman and daughter with bags piled on the outside seats, and a black labrador under the table! They were both eating Burger King and stinking the carriage out- ugh. Now thats being unreasonable.

...must confess though I am a short arse so if theres a seat empty next to me I'd rather leave my bag there than have to madly clamber up to the luggage rail on a moving train before I miss my stop! blush

melezka Mon 24-Jan-11 13:16:11

Arf at scrotal ventilation. Anyone seen the female drag classes that teach this?

Slugontoast Mon 24-Jan-11 13:17:34

Nightmare when a woman with the widest arse in the world squeezed into the seat next to me.... I got up and stood the rest of the way.

belledechocchipcookie Mon 24-Jan-11 13:18:10

There were a couple on the train last week who sat on the table seats but dumped their luggage on two seats behind them so they took up 6 seats between them. I thought this was selfish.

weedle Mon 24-Jan-11 14:05:59

slugontoast that reminds me of when I went to a Chris rock show and it must have been the same lady sat who next to me.

I said nothing, no huffing or anything when she was in my seat (both above and below the arm rest) just watched the show.

Rock started jokes about how it's rude for a skinny lady to make comments to larger ladies but the other way round is somehow ok. He then came out with some cracking lines about 'cheerio for a belt skinny ladies' etc and the seat over spilling lady beside me thought it was her moment to make pointed comments towards me with every joke!

How I wished it wasnt rude to make a comment about her refunding half my seat cost grin

Serendippy Mon 24-Jan-11 14:11:17

YABU I agree with LRD.

oenophilia Mon 24-Jan-11 14:27:54

Was on a busy London bus last year in morning rush hour. Last seat upstairs had a lads tool bag on it. Man came upstairs and asked the lad to move it as there was nowhere else to sit. Within seconds it was fisticuffs, other passengers pulled them apart & man #2 went back downstairs, whilst lad got a claw hammer out of his bag and stuck it up his sleeve. Of the 20 or so witnesses, not one other waited for the police to come confused.

campion Mon 24-Jan-11 14:44:45

Not to mention people hogging tables in cafes before they've got their food so that muggins here has nowhere to sit, even though I'm ahead in the queue.

Oh, is that a separate AIBU?

I do ask people to move their stuff on trains though!

JamieLeeCurtis Mon 24-Jan-11 14:47:03

Yes, ask them to move it. Don't fume about things.

YANBU, though

magimix Mon 24-Jan-11 14:51:08

example, yesterday train was filling up couple sitting next to each other had a table with 4 seats, they sat together and their large holdall bag had the 2 seats opposite, why should I have to ask them to take their dirty bag off of the seats, they could see the train was filling up, did they really expect people were going to ignore their bag, of course I asked for the seats but had to sit where their dirty bag had been. The guy on the opposite side kept his rucksack on the window seat totally ignoring the fact that he could have moved it & let a standing passenger have his seat. So many ignorant people these days, don't know what would happen if a carriage full of elderly people got on grin

JamieLeeCurtis Mon 24-Jan-11 14:53:32

You should not have to ask, you are right. I just think that there are a lot of people who either do not think about other people's needs, or who think, but don't care. Don't let them get away with it. Asserts yourself, otherwise the selfish people win

JamieLeeCurtis Mon 24-Jan-11 14:54:01

assert

DH has quite often had people huff and puff and give evils when he has asked them to move bags. He once put a woman's bag in the overhead shelf as she was deliberately ignoring him.

An incident he witnessed was one seat left on a train going in to work, young lady got on and politely asked man to move bag, he said no, she grabbed his bag and went and stuck it in the bin by the door. She sat down and he just sat there all shock. Everyone was just sitting there trying not to laugh and then bursting into laughter once they alighted. grin

I thought you were going to talk about people whose arses take up two seats. Usually, but not always, a large person, they sit with one arsecheek on each seat and when asked to move up, do so with the tiniest of sideways jerks leaving approximately enough room for Kate Moss on the proferred seat.

People would rather stand than squish up next to strangers, I've noticed.

They should either make the seats larger or bums smaller.

atmywitssend Mon 24-Jan-11 15:02:48

Just politely ask them to move their luggage and they generally do!

ViolaTricolor Mon 24-Jan-11 16:43:49

melezka I have not seen the classes in scrotal ventilation for female drag artists. Are they cheaper than Canesten?

cakewench Mon 24-Jan-11 18:39:49

Men only ever do that leg-spready-sit thing when they're sitting next to women. period. They wouldn't dream of rubbing knees with a man next to them, but women are fair game of course.

One of my favourite humour writers took a short poll of his readers on the issue (he writes for the Washington Post) and was shocked at how many females reported back that they experienced this regularly on public transport.

melezka Mon 24-Jan-11 19:07:13

viola: uh - no. But almost certainly more fun.

I'm shocked that he was shocked, cake.

JamieLeeCurtis Mon 24-Jan-11 19:08:26

cakewench - good point I had not thought of. Next time I'm on a bus I will check what happens when two blokes sit next to each other

MogTheForgetfulCat Mon 24-Jan-11 21:10:53

YANBU to be fed up with it - it really makes my blood boil when this happens. I hate the passive-aggressiveness of it - I don't really want to sit next to you, either, bag-on-seat-person, especially as you are clearly a twunt - but I'd rather sit next to you than stand.

I always make a beeline for them, even if there are other empty seats and ask pointedly but politely if anyone's sitting there grin. Makes me mighty glad when they get all huffy - but rarely happens, usually they are embarrassed by their own twattishness.

I certainly wouldn't stand whilst there were bag-occupied seats available - can't believe anyone would! I am not confrontational (despite the above - it's just that this is a particular bugbear of mine) but still think that's barmy.

CaurnieBred Mon 24-Jan-11 21:22:28

It has happened to me. Got on the train one morning to commute into London and there was a bag sitting on the middle seat of three. I asked the woman if she would move it (was roller cabin bag style/size) and she said no. I replied that as it didn't have a ticket and I had, it didn't get a seat. She refused again to move it so I lifted it up and dropped it on her lap. She then said that I had anger issues and I told her that she needed to learn some manners!

The guy opposite offered to put it on the floor beside him or up on the rack but she refused as she wanted to have it close to her.

What a way to start a morning shock

cakewench Tue 25-Jan-11 13:20:43

Jamie- I'll be interested to hear your report!

Mel- It seems that men who do not engage in this behaviour seem to be oblivious to it. At least from the reactions this writer had to his poll.

pinkstinks Tue 25-Jan-11 13:29:22

meh,i only book quiet trains and luckily dont have to commute, but on the way back to uni after xmas a couple of years ago, my suitcase was stolen from the luggage rack at the end, (xmas presents, camera etc all gone!)so now I try to always sit by the rack or have it with me, when asked I always would move it, and not have it resting dirty wheels on the seat anyway,
but if i have to leave it in the ruck I am so paranoid I end up looking like a meerkat as I have to keep checking it is still there!!

Phatairs Wed 20-Aug-14 08:17:50

Some people are not comfortable talking to strangers. Its plain ignorant. However we cannot judge people by our standards. It also forcrs people to sit by people who not have bags next to them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now