to want to park in front of my own house?

(104 Posts)
LewsDad Tue 18-Jan-11 15:46:30

I live on the right hand side of a one-way street with no driveways or garages. Most of my neighbours have more than one car, so parking is at a premium. However, rather than park on the narrow (but unused) pavement outside their own houses, the two neighbours opposite insist on leaving their cars outside mine. Because they are apparently also terrible at parking, they invariably add insult to injury by taking up more than one space each. I am therefore often forced to park on the other side of the road, in the 30-yard-long space that exists there.

I can see absolutely no benefit to them parking in front of my house instead of their own.

The people next door have raised this issue with them many times in the past, and I have made my feelings known in a less focused, more sweary and stompy way, but they appear not to care.

Because I have a toddler (with car seat on the right hand side), a pregnant wife and usually lots of heavy shopping, this annoys me somewhat.

Last night, having been unable to park near my house all weekend due to non-residents taking up all the spaces, and having at one point been forced to extract my son from the car directly into the middle of the busy road, I arrived home from work to yet again find my neighbour's car outside my house, with three quarters of a parking space behind it and half a space in front. I was so incensed that this time when I parked in front of his house, I made sure I got right in the way of his front door into the bargain.

This morning, I found a note on my windscreen asking me not to park outside his fucking door.

Am I being unreasonable to want to punch him in the face?

Fimbo Tue 18-Jan-11 15:51:00

Scribble on the back of his note - "likewise".

I live on a newbuild estate where there is no real "guest" parking. I have pots on the pavement to prevent people parking on the pavement right outside my front door (opens on to the pavement).

DadIsSad Tue 18-Jan-11 15:51:34

You don't own the road in front of your house. Which means he has no more right to complain about you than you do about him. Having said that, I'd be tempted to get a trolley jack to help with his parking if he's as bad as you make out.

fel1x Tue 18-Jan-11 15:54:14

def write a note back 'sorry for parking outside your house. some idiot keeps parking outside mine so i am left with little choice.'

eaglewings Tue 18-Jan-11 15:54:42

Do I take it that they have no front garden and the narrow pavement is right outside their front door?

If so, does parking there block out light into windows?

Just a thought.

monkey9237 Tue 18-Jan-11 15:54:59

We have this problem every day - the only thing we can do is turn the front garden into a driveway so that we can park on it and also use the space outside our house to park (and stop everyone else parking outside our house even though there is space outside their own houses!)

sarah293 Tue 18-Jan-11 15:55:17

Message withdrawn

MorticiaAddams Tue 18-Jan-11 15:55:22

I can't get my head around the setup here.

It sounds as though you have parking on the road on your side but have to park on the pavement on their side. Did you park on the pavement and in front of their door? Don't they have a front garden and if not were you actually blocking access to their house?

WhyHavePets Tue 18-Jan-11 15:55:37

When he parked he could have been in the space but parkers have come along after him and left the gaps like that, you have no idea.

Anyway, as has been said, there are no rules on parking, it is open seasn. If it is a war you want carry on, if nt take some deep breaths and live and let live.

It's annoying isn't it. We have the same problem. There's space enough for three cars to park outside our house but people from across the road (They're not actually 'across' the road. They live quite a few doors down) park so only two cars can fit and we end up parked outside their houses.

Nothing you can do though. They can park where they like, as can our neighbours. It's just an annoyance that not having off street parking causes.

That note was bloody cheeky though. I'd probably put one on his car along the lines of "If you parked outside your fucking door then I wouldn't have to" but then I am a bit petty.

thebountymuncher Tue 18-Jan-11 15:58:37

YANBU. Agree with Fimbos' note idea.

My neighbour, the cheeky bugger, parks in my allocated space as well as her own.
I've never pulled her up on it, I just park outside my house instead (my space is round the corner, weirdly) but yesterday she lumbered past moaning that my car was parked in the way!

Hullygully Tue 18-Jan-11 15:59:39

burn his house down.

It's all people like that understand.

MissQue Tue 18-Jan-11 16:01:46

Riven, I would print out some little notes saying 'you have taken my disabled parking space, would you like to take my disability too?' or some such emotional blackmail type thing.

I'd get well pissed off if there is a perfectly good space in front of their own house but they choose to park in someone else's space.

earwicga Tue 18-Jan-11 16:02:04

Riven - if anybody parks even an inch over your parking bay they can be given a parking ticket. I'd get busy on the phone if I was you.

earwicga Tue 18-Jan-11 16:02:25

LOL at Hully grin

sarah293 Tue 18-Jan-11 16:04:06

Message withdrawn

rattling Tue 18-Jan-11 16:04:15

Just don't get this. I get the annoyance, but it's not your road - everyone can park where they like.

I live in a tenement. Mostly have to park about 300m away from my front door and carry twins across a busy road to get them in. But as I don't have my own driveway that's how it works.

I don't understand why your neighbours park where they do, but they must have a reason or why do it? And why all this talk of parking on pavements? That is illegal and drives all us double buggy pushers onto the road (or at best past your cars just lightly scratching it).

clmm Tue 18-Jan-11 16:05:16

We live in a cul de sac andu sually everyone parks in front of their own house,the next door neighbour is out ranting and raving when anyone parks in her space and she will park her car as close as she can so they can t get out.However if anyone visits her house she seems to think they can park where they want ie where we park also blocking the drive.It is so ignorant and really windsme up.

Nancy66 Tue 18-Jan-11 16:05:26

People get very territorial about parking.
but if being able to park immediately outside your home is paramount to you - then get a house with a drive.

Some nights I'm lucky if I can park within six streets of my house - let alone right outisde.

scurryfunge Tue 18-Jan-11 16:07:15

If there are no restrictions and no residents' permit parking, then you are no more entitled than anyone else.

Some pavements are marked for parking rattling although usually wider ones.

I know exactly how you feel OP. It's nbot so much that I can't park outside my house although it would be nice, but it is the crap parking. Due to dropped kerbs etc the stretch outside our house can take three cars but there is always some tosspot who parks over a pace and a half, leaving room for only one car behind him. When I get home with shopping and child it infuriates me that I have to park two streets away.

MrsTumbles Tue 18-Jan-11 16:09:10

fel1x has a;ready put the witty response I was going to tell you to put envy

MrsTumbles Tue 18-Jan-11 16:09:54

already not a;ready obviously

LewsDad Tue 18-Jan-11 16:10:02

No, I don't own the space in front of my house, but that's completely irrelevant to the fact that the bloke opposite is quite capable of parking outside his own home instead of making my life difficult for no discernible reason, isn't it? And no, WhyHavePets - I've watched him do it.

Ormirian Tue 18-Jan-11 16:13:37

"I am therefore often forced to park on the other side of the road"

<gasp> All the way over the other side of the road? Nooooo..... How do you cope?

I have just moved to a house with off-street parking and a garage but for years we lived in a terraced cul-de-sac with nowhere near enough parking. We were bloody lucky to be able to park in the same street, or even the same bloody electoral ward most of the time.

Don't punch anyone, just breathe and let it go.

unhappyshopper Tue 18-Jan-11 16:14:40

Is there a space outside his own house when he parks outside yours?

Is the pavement opposite marked to allow vehicles to park ON it.. ?

If its a narrow, one way street then its not reeeeeally a hardship to park opposite, and its not as if there would be lots of traffic whizzing past.

I honestly wouldnt buy a house in a road where its clear that parking would be a problem though.

Ormirian Tue 18-Jan-11 16:15:31

Mind you, those who simply can't park sensibly and take up too many spaces do deserve to be given a public beating and compulsory parking lessons grin

LewsDad Tue 18-Jan-11 16:15:46

Ah. Well done me for responding before the thread moved on... blush

lol @ fel1x and Hullygully

Don't get me started on parking!

I live in a flat, there are 8 flats to 3 spaces. One space is a disabled spot and the other 2 are taken up by my selfish bastard neighbour who has 3 cars... he doesn't use these 2 cars and will park his third car oppisite which is the only space left for the rest of us.

I have a disabled son (but don't get blue badge) so when I pull up with both kids and a weeks worth of shopping and have to park a street away I get pretty pissed off.

hocuspontas Tue 18-Jan-11 16:18:01

Give us your address and when we have Google Earthed it we can give you a proper judgement.

Nancy66 Tue 18-Jan-11 16:18:51

You don't want residents parking, believe me...we have that and it's a fucking nightmare.

Everytime somebody comes to visit it costs me six quid! Shelling that out for people you don't even like is a bit galling....

IsItMeOr Tue 18-Jan-11 16:20:06

YABU to pick a fight with a neighbour over this. Come live in our street, where the council decided that our corner was no longer safe to park on and bunged a single yellow there when they introduced a permit scheme.

We have no choice but to park wherever we can find a space, and pay for a permit for the privilege. Some dafties people still seem to think that the space directly outside their gate is theirs and get aerated if you park there (particularly if you don't leave precisely the right amount for their very large estate car either side of you).

Life is really too short to be petty and deliberately blocking people's front doors. It is almost certainly a light issue, as when the next door neighbour parks their 4*4 outside our window, you really do notice it.

Blu Tue 18-Jan-11 16:20:26

Talk to them clearly, directly and pleasantly - explain your issues, car seat, pg wife etc, and as if there is any reason why they prefer parking as they do - say that it will be best if you all try and make the best use of space for ach other, as otherwise someone in the street may well ask the council to set up a CPZ - in which case you'll all have t pay f permits etc.

Go over with the note and say 'sorry if I inconvenienced you, we all seem to be getting in each other's way with the parking - how shall we sort it out'.

Too much huffing, puffing and note-writing fury going on!

LaurieFairyonthetreeEatsCake Tue 18-Jan-11 16:20:54

I think you should knock on his door with a very confused look on your face and ask what the note is for and say "but you were parked outside mine" in a puzzled way.

You need to see what he says as there seems to be no reason at the moment for him to be doing it.

TheCoalitionNeedsYou Tue 18-Jan-11 16:25:20

Yes.

ivykaty44 Tue 18-Jan-11 16:26:14

He isn't allowed to leave a not on your windscreen

Put a note under your own windscreen wiper and state you would love to park in outside of your own house but the person opposite keep parking there so you have no choice until he stops parking there.

then keep parking there until he so wants to stop you - that he has to put his own car there!

NellieForbush Tue 18-Jan-11 16:26:50

An 'unused' pavement? Find that hard to believe to be honest. What do pedestrians walk on if not the pavement outside your neighbours house?

However YANBU for wanting to punch him for selfish parking and rude notes.

Starbear Tue 18-Jan-11 16:28:19

We have resident parking when we had a permit we never found a space even close to our house. So we have rented space from the council around the corner. This means I have park the car on a yellow line, unload the shopping crossing fingers not to meet the evil ones sad Then put my DS back in the car drive into the traffic go for a 5 mins drive then back to our space because we live in a one-way street. Glad I only do this once a week. Some weeks I don't bother and go out to the shops with my trolley hmm
I miss my old single days with my old house and my old parking space that was ALL mine! P.S I didn't buy this house

saffy85 Tue 18-Jan-11 16:29:15

I understand how you feel OP- I live on a street on terraced houses and we arely get to park outside our house. Infact everyone in the car gives a might cheer if we get to park on side of the street we live on- the handful of times we have parked outside our own house has been a momentus occasion.

Sadly there is sweet FA you can do about it other than hullygully's suggestion (which I like grin) so you'll have to grin and bear it or keep sending the passive agressive notes back and forth....

LewsDad Tue 18-Jan-11 16:31:37

Right, to clarify:

The pavement, which is apparently a major issue here, only exists in front of the four houses across the road and is only there to keep cars out of people's living rooms. It is not used by anyone with a buggy, a wheelchair, or anything else. It is literally a pavement to nowhere.

I am also fully aware that I have no legal or moral right to park in front of my house. I'm merely complaining about the inconsiderate behaviour of my 'neighbour.'

I get the feeling some people are missing the point on purpose...

Our next door neighbors have 3 cars. Actually have 2 cars and a white mahoosive van. The van doesn't move sometimes for weeks on end and is parked right in front of our house. When it does move, they get the car and replace the van with the car. It is irritating. But heard them explain to a neighbor that they have a baby, so are entitled hmm grin

unhappyshopper Tue 18-Jan-11 16:35:04

Whether it is used or not, it is still usually illegal to be parked on the pavement.

And if emergency vehicles cant get past if they park fully on the road outside their house, then where else can they park?

ivykaty44 Tue 18-Jan-11 16:36:15

you neighbour owns the road and pavement, that is the point and you need to set him right on the fact that you want to use the bit of road outside your house that he owns...thats the point isn't it?

ivykaty44 Tue 18-Jan-11 16:37:59

And no one in a wheelchair or a person with a buggy can go nowhere as the pavement to nowhere can't be used - right?

Deciduousblonde Tue 18-Jan-11 16:38:02

I was just about to post about not owning the road outside your house (I have this argument with an angry DH practically every day!) then I read what your neighbour had done so I changed my mind!

Of course you are not being unreasonable to want to park outside you house. The fact that legally you aren't entitled to is another matter.

You are not being unreasonable if you suggest to the neighbour that it would be easier if he parked outside his house and you parked outside yours

Ormirian Tue 18-Jan-11 16:38:09

Not missing the point lewsdad. I think everyone gets the irritation! But it is just one of those things that have to be lived with sadly as there are no legal rights for either of you. And YABU to want to punch him.

BonzoDooDah Tue 18-Jan-11 16:39:19

I like the twuntish reply of "likewise" but also like LaurieFotEC's answer.

Starbear Tue 18-Jan-11 16:39:23

ilovemydogandMrObama phew! for a mo I thought you where talking about my Brother-in-law. I pity his neighbours. He runs his business from home and a few lock ups! No his name isn't Delboy Some time his blokes park out side the house so there are a few vans. Their sons 24yrs & 26 yrs also have Motorbikes blush
I wish his business was more successful so my poor Sis doesn't suffer this humliation from neighbours.

MsSparkle Tue 18-Jan-11 16:42:52

My mils nieghbour parks his minging old giant van outside her place (he lives across the road) and parks it right up to her driveway. Mil says it blocks the light in her front widow and the van is an eyesaw. There is loads of room outside his house but he doesn't park it there because he doesn't want his skanky old van outside his house!hmm

In my mums road, parking is very hard. The thing that annoys people is some of them have driveways but still park in the road because they can't be bothered to keep driving in and out of their drivewayshmm Meanwhile, other residents without drives have to park where they can find a space and if it's in your own road you are lucky!

crazygracieuk Tue 18-Jan-11 16:43:02

A neighbour who lives across the road does this too. She never parks in "her" spot and I'd love to ask why my "spot" is better than her side of the road...

ivykaty44 Tue 18-Jan-11 16:44:39

Perhaps go over and ask the neighbour if he is a private detective and when he comes home he is still on work mode and parks his car a little way away?

What I want to know is really why he does this - it just seems a bit weird

I think that the note has given you a golden opportunity, actually. I know you're cross about it, but why not go round (bearing wine/beer if necessary) and open the debate about the whole thing?

Explain why you parked where you did, and point out that you can't park where you need to - and see what agreement you can come to.

But don't make an issue about it - it is the kind of thing that people fester about and then it becomes totally out of proportion.

tinkertitonk Tue 18-Jan-11 16:49:05

Occasionally it's a good idea to be the lunatic with the hidden cleaver that everyone else is terrified of. Car parking issues are not those occasions however.

ivykaty44 Tue 18-Jan-11 16:49:30

I think the wine is a fab idea grin take two bottles and a lot of logic

Deciduousblonde Tue 18-Jan-11 16:50:17

I used to smile a bit over a bloke who lived in a neighbouring road to mine.

His house could be accessed via an alleyway in my road, and he always parked just in front of the entrance. He would have a fit if anyone from another road parked in 'his' spot in order to walk to the shops or train station.

I don't think he could ever quite see why I wasn't sympathetic to his rantings.

ChippingInSmellyCheeseFreak Tue 18-Jan-11 16:54:59

LewsDad - YANBU He's being inconsiderate. I think you should do as Blu suggested.

It's the best advice.

Boring - but right grin

eaglewings Tue 18-Jan-11 16:57:09

Going back to the 16.31 post it does seem that the issue is about light and having a car right outside the window.

The house I grew up in was like this, it was OK if a small car was there, but a MPV, van or 4x4 blocked the light.

We only ever said anything if people actually blocked the door way, it meant my friend who used a wheel chair had to go out of the back door and round a lane.

Deciduousblonde Tue 18-Jan-11 16:59:37

Is it still true that there is no 'right to light'? just wondering.

scurryfunge Tue 18-Jan-11 17:01:15

Yes, true.

MissQue Tue 18-Jan-11 17:01:50

But if you park your own car outside your own house, then it is your choice whether you have a smaller car which doesn't block out light, or a bigger car that does.

Deciduousblonde Tue 18-Jan-11 17:04:12

True MissQue

But if you buy a house without a driveway then you leave the option open to anyone to park outside your house. Yes, it is irritating..but there isn't much you can do about it.

LadyBiscuit Tue 18-Jan-11 17:04:42

I want to know who owns the bloody great camper van which has been parked outside my house since September (at least) and not moved. It's big, it's fugly, I don't want to look at it angry

And I know it's a public highway etc but why isn't it parked on the other side of the road where there aren't any houses?? Grr ...

eaglewings Tue 18-Jan-11 17:07:37

Lady have you checked it has a valid Tax disc, if not you could report it and have it moved?

LadyBiscuit Tue 18-Jan-11 17:09:51

Of course I have eaglewings. It expires in May. I'm going to stay in all day waiting for them to turn up and then ask them politely if they would mind moving it so it's either outside of their own house or outside someone else's to give me something different to look at (or to have the novelty of a parking space outside my house actually ever being available).

LadyBiscuit Tue 18-Jan-11 17:10:54

Sorry, that sounded a bit terse. Meant to put a at the end of the first sentence. It was one of the first things I did when I moved here and realised that it never budged.

hocuspontas Tue 18-Jan-11 17:12:41

I'm more confused. If the pavement is only there to keep cars out of people's living rooms, by parking there it defeats the object of the pavement doesn't it? <attempts to grasp the right end of the stick for once>

ilythia Tue 18-Jan-11 17:14:06

meh. Our neighjbours have 3 cars. The next ones down have 2 and a van, and the next have 2 as well. Then it gets silly.
I just park round the corner. Or on the other side of the road outside someone ele's house.
It's not like you have to trek 6 miles over broken glass to get to your door from your car, it it?

kepler10b Tue 18-Jan-11 17:19:24

YABU. it's a public road and so people can park wherever they want within the parking restrictions imposed by the council. unless you own the land or are disabled with a reserved space just be grateful you can find anywhere to park. some people live in areas that are so busy and full of multiple occupancy households they end up having to park a couple of streets away.

southeastastra Tue 18-Jan-11 17:20:11

people can park where they like but they're being effing unneighbourly to do so. agree with blu also

ReclaimingMyInnerPeachy Tue 18-Jan-11 17:26:22

You can;t park in front of a door if it blocks it; as the PCSO's regualrly confirm to the many school run parents who block me into my home (no rear access, also have to get to school- ta then!)

Don;t know if you did just mentioning

otherwise yes it's a PITA but it won;t kill you (us) we have only one row of houses here but parking on less than that row (gets too narrow) and a big residential unit opposite with staffc ars etc

What doesn;t kill you etc

And of course punching someone would make you BU but wanting to not so much (not stunning either buy YKWIM)

LadyBiscuit - if it's never moved, then report it to the council and/or the police. It sounds like it's been dumped there.

freshmint Tue 18-Jan-11 17:28:26

if you haven't paid for a driveway then you have to suck it up

presumably you realised when you bought the house that you weren't also buying the road in front of your house hmm

MrSpoc Tue 18-Jan-11 17:29:42

My PIL's live on a small road. parking is hurendous. One time we arrived just after our DS1 was born to find no spaces except for a few cones put out.

In my haste and anger at the cheek of it, i go out the car and kicked the cones out of the way. Out came a very angry old man who was trying his hardest to hit me. (My wife jumping in the middle and giving him the what for and how dare he get up set at people moving his cones out of the road).

God parking is annoying. at least you dont have people putting cones out.

ReclaimingMyInnerPeachy Tue 18-Jan-11 17:30:09

Oh but LOL

my neighbour rants so much if we park outside hers even though her own car is furtehr alone

as her DD drops the grandkids off and needs at least two spaces as she isn;t very good at aprking

For this need she expects us to park some distance away (whole village has same issue; once DH had to walk about a mile home, not a killer but yj, a PITA after a night shift)

nuts

Deciduousblonde Tue 18-Jan-11 17:33:51

freshmint, I think this is really more about the neighbour putting a note on the OPs car complaining about her car being in front of his house..when he parks in front of hers.

freshmint Tue 18-Jan-11 17:38:30

ahh that little twist has been added has it? thanks DB. I fell asleep after reading the OP grin

presumably everyone has stated the obvious ie go and talk to your neighbour instead of posting on an internet forum?

zzzz

LadyBiscuit Tue 18-Jan-11 17:39:45

Do you reckon BIWI? I figured that because it has a valid tax disc, it belongs to someone who uses it in the summer.

But I will give the council a call - the worst they can do is tell me to stop being such a NIMBY I guess.

Thanks

You can't park on the pavement - no matter if it is used or not - legally unless it is marked for such use (which by your description it wont be). And on a public road anyone has the right to park there so you are in the wrong by deliberately breaking the law in order to get your own back and block your neighbour's front door.

However, I understand your frustration. I'm in the same situation and often have to park round the corner - not fun when pregnant, suffering from crippling sciatica and trying to unload shopping. But without a private driveway there's nothing you can do about it. Perhaps start leaving notes on his windscreen about his bad parking.

MrSpoc Tue 18-Jan-11 17:43:26

Hi LadyBiscuit if the camper has a valid tax disc then there will be nothing the council will do. it will only be classed as abandoned once the tax has ran out.

It could have been stolen, LB! Just because it has a valid tax disc doesn't mean anything.

MrSpoc Tue 18-Jan-11 17:45:35

As BecauseImWorthIt said, if the camper has been stolen then that is a different story altogether.

Changeisagoodthing Tue 18-Jan-11 17:46:06

I had a car that had no tyres on left outside my house. It had a valid tax disc. No idea who owned it- no one in our road. I reported it but it coukdnt be moved but they did turn up day after tax expired and take it away.

hairyfairylights Tue 18-Jan-11 17:58:04

Yabu, but there is sod all you can do about it, so best not let it bother you if you can!

tyler80 Tue 18-Jan-11 18:01:03

I know someone who had a fairly new Range Rover stolen (burglary and they took the keys). Took the police 6 weeks to find it because it had been parked up on a side street 4 miles away.

So can be worth reporting these things, even if they only tell you it's not reported stolen and do nothing else.

LewsDad Tue 18-Jan-11 18:19:10

I didn't think I'd need to point out that I'm not actually going to punch my neighbour, but apparently there are a lot of sandal enthusiasts here. So:

I am not actually going to punch my neighbour. It was only a figure of speech.

However, I might mentally slap the next person who tells me I'm not allowed to park on a pavement, or accuses me of blocking all the light to windows I haven't parked in front of in the hulking great 4x4 I don't own, in the same way that I like to trip people who say "Bacon" when I ask them the time.

ivykaty44 Tue 18-Jan-11 18:21:23

oh...no fight then

LewsDad Tue 18-Jan-11 18:26:23

No, I'm more of a letter-writer.

JamieLeeCurtis Tue 18-Jan-11 18:30:59

the pen is mightier than the sword. The gob is mightier than the sword or the pen (or something). Do what Blu said. You neighbour is being all passive-aggressive, so take the moral high ground

ivykaty44 Tue 18-Jan-11 18:31:52

Oh then I am off to watch a dvd, I think we have rocky 2 somewhere

FudgeGirl Tue 18-Jan-11 18:41:55

Sometimes I wonder if AIBU to be able to want to get on my own freaking drive.

We have people park right up against the dropped kerb so it makes it incredibly difficult to get off (main road, v poor visbility) which is annoying but not much you can do - and then we've had people actually park over it and our neighbour's dropped kerb.

I mean, actually on the fucking dropped bit.

Best solution for inconsiderate parking is a chalk marker, like they use at some car dealerships.

You can write a nice old message on their windscreen without damaging it grin and everyone else can see it, better than a note.

The chalk pen REALLY is mightier than the sword.

IsItMeOr Tue 18-Jan-11 18:46:13

I'm not sure why you're getting so snitty with us, as you did post in AIBU, and declared "I made sure I got right in the way of his front door".

Not really surprising you got responses suggesting you take the high road and actually talk to the neighbour...

traceybath Tue 18-Jan-11 18:52:07

Friend lives on a very lovely street but with ltd parking - her neighbour took to putting a cone out in front of her house to protect 'her' space - it went down like the proverbial grin

Seriously though it is annoying and inconsiderate of your neighbours though.

Swedes1 Tue 18-Jan-11 18:55:10

I think it's illegal to obstruct a pavement unless there is a council by-law expressly confirming the right to park there. I think it's contravention code 62.

Perhaps he's just a law-abiding citizen and you're inciting a crime? shock

hifi Tue 18-Jan-11 18:58:49

bil left his old banger outside our house for over a year,its a private rd so doesnt need taxing. i got so sick of asking him to move it that eventually i reported it as an abandoned vehicle.
i phoned him when they put the sticker on saying it was going to be removed and he took it that afternoon.

Swedes1 Tue 18-Jan-11 19:01:33

Wouldn't it be easier to swap houses? Saves fighting over parking spaces. grin

LillianGish Tue 18-Jan-11 19:01:57

I agree with those posters who say if parking is that important to you then get a house with a drive. My MIL wastes her life worrying and fretting about this - to the extent of coming home early from a day out to try and bag a space near her house. You have no right to park outside your house - just accept it. Unless you are disabled I can't see why you'd get your knickers in a twist about something like this.

JamieLeeCurtis Tue 18-Jan-11 19:07:31

LewsDad - just to clarify - are you saying they park outside your house, even though there is no car in front of theirs? (but also, how could you know this? Maybe a car was there earlier in the day and it moved)

LewsDad Tue 18-Jan-11 19:17:47

JamieLeeCurtis: That's exactly right (and I've stated only known facts, not assumptions )

LewsDad Tue 18-Jan-11 19:21:42

Oh, IsItMeOr - I'm only getting snitty with people who read a question and then answer a different one. Does that make me unreasonable, too?

onceamai Tue 18-Jan-11 19:30:47

I'm usually grateful to be able to park in my own road and I think we pay about 200 pa for the residents' parking permit. London!

Blu Tue 18-Jan-11 19:49:15

Thank you, Chipping! Boring but sensible advice is my strength grin

I do like swapping houses - he will no doubt then immediately start parking outside his old house....RESULT!

Or perhaps not...

unhappyshopper Tue 18-Jan-11 19:53:42

Is it possible for them to park outside their house and not be on the pavement?

NellieForbush Tue 18-Jan-11 19:59:46

...and that unhappyshopper is what I too really want to know. <braced for mental slap from LewsDad>

IsItMeOr Tue 18-Jan-11 22:29:44

Hm, well, you do seem unreasonable to me. But then I'm tired and hormonal which means that, a) it could be me or b) I might have misread your snitty comments as directed at me and got the hump.

Either way, I'm tired and going to bed now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now