To be hugely pissed off that Superdry apparently do not make clothes larger than a size 10?

(107 Posts)
GetOrfMoiLand Fri 24-Dec-10 09:44:04

Well this is a bit of mumsnet karma, after me saying on a thread this week that I didn't think size 12 was that small...

I went to Superdry yesterday with dd to buy her a coat for christmas. If you don't know it it is a chain of shops which cater mainly for teens and young trendies.

Bloody coats cost £120 but I won't moan about that now.

DD is 15, is the same height and size as me (8-10, just shy of 6 foot), although she is broader of shoulder than me. She tried on a size L and it just about fit - would be a bit tight if you had a jumper on (dd just had a long sleeved thin t shirt type top on yesterday).

I asked the shop assistant if they had a XL (being a mum I want a coat with a bit of 'give'). They don't. I was a bit hmm at this and said to the assistant 'so if you are larger than a size 10 you cannot fit into any of the coats in here?'. She said that a lot of 'larger' girls bought mens coats as they didn't fit into the girls. I said that I wouldn't in a month of sundays consider a size 12 'large'.

She also said that the sizes come up small as 'it is a Japanese brand'. I said that I knew that the brand started on a market stall in hereford and all the clothes were designed up the road in Cheltenham, and Superdry was about as Japanese as i was.

At this point dd was melting into the ground in embarassment. I bought the bloody coat <ashamed> against my better judgement.

i am so pissed off at this. How irresponsible? This is a brand whose market is pretty much teenagers. I can't imagine how it must feel as a teenager to try one of their coats on and not be able to fit in it.

Should I write a stinking letter?

Tootlesmummy Fri 24-Dec-10 09:47:32

I can understand why you might be a little cross but I wouldn't bother, to me it isn't any worse than when I go into the vast majority of high street shops and can't get things to fit me being a size 6 and not 5' 5" tall! (unless I like old ladies clothes).

I would just write this shop off as one which your daughter can shop in for coats and go elsewhere.

panettoinydog Fri 24-Dec-10 09:48:56

Hm.

I'd perhaps write a polite request sorta letter, asking they consider increasing their size range.

They don't have to provide a wide range of sizes and they don't even have to provide clothes that fit anyone. Obv it makes good business sense to do so.

So I wouldn't be shirty because I think a calm polite approach has a much higher chance of having some effect.

MadreInglese Fri 24-Dec-10 09:50:50

shock I can't believe you bought it!

Bonsoir Fri 24-Dec-10 09:50:59

I'm surprised, to be honest. I have a couple of shirts from Superdry in a medium/size 12 and they fit me very comfortably indeed - I am normally a 10/12 everywhere.

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 24-Dec-10 09:53:55

Hmm, well yes I have got a superdry jumper (don't know what size it is) and that fits me well.

DP has also got a load of T shirts in M and they fit fine.

<wind out of sails a bit>

Can't imagine it must just be the sizing for coats. They are tight fitting. Perhaps I am just a bit pissed off at myself for spending £120 on an ANORAK which she will not be able to fit a hoody underneath.

Don't suppose it is much different from girls who are size 18 not being able to fit into anything from River Island.

panettoinydog Fri 24-Dec-10 09:58:54

You really shouldn't have bought it at that price. But I think you know that and that is why you are so cross wink

clam Fri 24-Dec-10 09:59:07

Superdry? Isn't that a pharmacy? Or a laundrette?

panettoinydog Fri 24-Dec-10 09:59:33

get with teh beat, clam

superv1xen Fri 24-Dec-10 10:00:26

i would be soooooo angry at the shop assistant implying your DD was a "larger" girl!!! bloody snotty trendy twats who work in pretentious clothes shops PISS ME RIGHT OFF.

especially superdry, one of the most pretentious shops ever known! and PMSL at "its a japanese brand" hmm

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 24-Dec-10 10:01:50

Hmm.

I think perhaps you are right.

I was getting up quite a steam of self-righteous glory there and you stopped me in my tracks.

Think it was a bit of a cheek saying it is Jaopanese hence designed for smaller girls, when it is a west country UK firm. Poncey farts.

pinguwings Fri 24-Dec-10 10:02:33

Completely agree! That bloody Hollister store which has just opened near me is exactly the same. They can't seem to understand the damage it can do to a teenager to have to buy a Large or worse still not be able to wear the clothes, because they're a size 12+

My friend's DD(14) is severely underweight and has been semi-anorexic for the last 3 years. She has to get a Medium in super dry. Scary at who they think could wear their small!

This really needs looking at. Definitely write a letter.

I guess the style is meant to be skinny. Not that I know about these things. I'm very much hoping ds becomes a goth type like his mother. Far easier on the wallet wink

pinguwings Fri 24-Dec-10 10:05:16

Don't suppose it is much different from girls who are size 18 not being able to fit into anything from River Island.

It is different. Size 12 is healthy. Size 18 generally isn't.

When I say skinny, I mean tight fighting btw, not that it's only to be worn by beanpoles.

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 24-Dec-10 10:09:57

It must be designed for tiny short people.

DD is slim for her height. There is no way on god's earth that she, or any of her friends, would be able to fit into a small. It must be size 2 or something.

That said dd has a load of Hollister stuff, don't think the sizing is as bad there. Mind you it is all joggers and hoodies, no tight fitting stuff like this coat.

It must be designed to fit very tightly. Not helfpul if you are shopping with a body obsessed teenage girl - can you imagine how crushing that would feel.

TakeYourFunWhereYouFindIt Fri 24-Dec-10 10:13:32

The tops in Superdry are really really small fitting - I'm a size 10-12 top, size 8 bottom and no problem getting sweatpants to fit, but tops are always a squeeze.

Hollister is the other way around - their tops are more generous, but their bottoms are miniscule - bought an XS recently by mistake, and couldn't even get them over my thighs (and I have legs like twigs, seriously).

Agree that it's really not good for young girl's self-image - I take my nearly 12 year old goddaughter occasionally, and I cringe every time because one of these days the stuff just won't fit her - and she's FAR from fat.

Bathsheba Fri 24-Dec-10 10:15:09

I always think it sounds like a range of feminine hygeine products...

superv1xen Fri 24-Dec-10 10:17:26

LOL bathsheba - i think it sounds like nappies

I guess they'll argue that there's no market for normal sized clothers or somesuch bollocks. Which would be fair enough if they were talking about size 18s - but 10/12s? confused

I do think you should complain, GOML. It sounds hideous.

FredFredGeorge Fri 24-Dec-10 10:28:51

pinguwings, a teenager should not be getting damaged at having to buy a large and shops simply changing their sizing to xxxs,xxs,xs,s,m just to avoid the term large to hurt their fragile egos is silly and will just move the negative connotations to M or S. The more descriptive terms are the right ones for a shop to use.

OP - YANBU for expecting a shop to stock clothes in an appropriate size, however YABU to complain about it after you decided that the smaller size was appropriate and bought it all that's done is confirmed to the shop that they made the right decision. No sale lost and saved on having to stock more sizes.

Take it back, because it doesn't fit.

southeastastra Fri 24-Dec-10 10:30:16

are superdry japanese? wondering as they're normally alot smaller than us europeans

southeastastra Fri 24-Dec-10 10:31:36

oh sorry they're not, just pretend to be

gallicgirl Fri 24-Dec-10 10:37:24

In a similar vein, I went to H&M yesterday to buy maternity clothes. I'm usually a size 10 pre-pregnancy but I know their clothes come up small and I'd have to get a 12. However, I have found their medium a good fit in the maternity range.

So, I've grown out of my last pair of maternity trousers so I pick up a size 12 and a size 14. The size 12 barely came over my knees and the 14 was a bit of a squeeze too. I have a look at the labels in case I've picked up the wrong size and notice that they are labelling a UK size 12 as a European size 38. I bought a size 16!!!! (not tried them on yet so not sure how they fit)

I mentioned to the assistant that their sizes were all wrong and I couldn't have a go because it's not her fault, but I think it's disgusting that they deliberately label them incorrectly in the first place. I've bought clothes in enough European countries to know a 38 is a UK 10, not a 12. The very slim assistant said she had sometimes had to buy a 14 confused. How are girls/women supposed to have a healthy body image when shops mess with their minds and judgement like this?

It's not the job of the shops to promote healthy body image, it is their job to make money for their shareholders.

Making everything both short and tiny would enhance the 'Japanese' image that Superdry try to put out.

And yes, it's a ridiculous twatish thing to do, and you'd think they woud get more business if they had a better range of sizes, but maybe they what to pretend to be 'exclusive'.

Isn't Superdry a beer you get in noodle places?

FabbyChic Fri 24-Dec-10 10:54:19

A 38 did used to be a 12, they increased all the size years ago.

20 years ago I was a size 10 now I'd need a 12.

I have just emailed Superdry asking them why in their stores + and on their website their womens clothes are as follows Xs=8 S=10 M=12 L-14, but if you go onto other mail order companies ie Next directory + Littlewoods home shopping you will find that they supply Superdry in Womens sizes up to a size XL which is a UK size 16!?....if they can stock it why cant their own stores + website?...I also think their sizes come up small, my tiny, skinny size 6 daughter has a size small jacket, and my 14 yr old daughter who is usually a size 8-10 has recently brought a size L jacket!!....she is slim with broad shoulders + just couldnt get into anything smaller...myself being a size 16 can only fit into the mens sweatshirts + jackets as they are far too tight across the bust....but then again if they are |japanese designed...show me a japanese lady with large breasts??....there just arent any!!

praying - Superdry is an entirely British brand

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 04-Jan-11 10:38:05

I never did email them, I forgot about it.

That is very interesting that you can buy an XL in the Littelwoods catalogue. They insisted in shop that they did not go above a L.

Praying your dd sounds like mine - normally an 8-10 but just about fits in a L.

And they are not Japanese designed. They are designed in Cheltenham ffs, it is a British company.

Seems to me that they just don't want fat people wearing their brand. Blimey though that they consider a 12 to be 'fat'.

K12Mom Tue 04-Jan-11 10:39:05

Well, I have a couple of Superdry tee shirts in a large and there is no way they are a 14. A 10, more like. And no, I'm not delusional.

I would rather accept the excuse that it is a Japanese brand and Japanese people are smaller, than anything over a 10 is 'large'.

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 04-Jan-11 10:39:43

I think I will email them. I know they don't morally have to make them in larger sizes but still, they market to teenage girls, and this is a bir crap I think.

K12Mom Tue 04-Jan-11 10:40:10

So, they don't want fat people wearing their brand? Pah, I'm fat and middle-aged and wear Superdry. Bollocks to them!

bibbitybobbitysantahat Tue 04-Jan-11 10:42:05

When I was much younger and weighed around 8.5 stone and wore a 10 or 12 (this was 1986, before vanity sizing, so would no doubt be an 8/10 nowadays) I went to a Katherine Hamnett sale and bought a skirt. It was L and only just fitted. I prob had a 26" waist at the time. Fuckers.

BooBooGlass Tue 04-Jan-11 10:49:08

I really don't think this is true. I'm a 10 and fit a superdry small. I do only have a long vest top though, maybe their other things are sized differently?

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 04-Jan-11 10:51:31

I think it does differ depending on what you buy (the sizing I mean).

Some of the vest tops are made to be baggy, i think, certainly the ones dd owns.

The blokes sizing is also mad, DP has mostly large t shirts, but also has some M and they fit the same.

luckily my daughter was not fazed that it said "Large" on the label, she was happy with the fit + accepted that their sizes clearly come up small as she has never been a size L anywhere else, but i can imagine some teenagers getting really hung up on the fact that they have to wear a size large...me, i'm past caring, if it fits it fits...i'll just cut the label out lol, i will let you know if/when i get a reply back from Superdry...also when my daughter went to buy her Jacket, there were more than 50 hanging on the rail, My daughter had the only size L, there were No Mediums but lots and lots of Small + Xtra small....so does this not tell you that people must be having to buy larger sizes than usual, as the majority of customers i saw in the shop were slim teenagers like my daughter who normally would be a size 8/10...ie...usually a size Xs/S!!....its bloody crazy!!

...in comparison, my husband has a Superdry jacket and it is in his usual size!...the only thing he found is the sleeves come up long

my daughter is 12, very tiny + very slim, wears age 11 clothes from most shops, has no curves at all, adult size clothes are too big accept maybe the occasional size 6, and she has a Superdry padded Gilet + had to buy a size Small (10)....she was chuffed to bits that finally she could wear the same clothes as her friends without it looking like she was wearing someone elses cast offs!!....i think unless you are a size 12 or below your choice is limited in most shops

mippy Tue 04-Jan-11 11:04:39

"It is different. Size 12 is healthy. Size 18 generally isn't."

That's a massive generalisation right there. No 'size' is more or less healthy than another. It's just a number. It doesn't tell us anything about the lifestyle, height, etc. of the person wearing it.

We had bugger all shops when I was young and where I grew up - and the sizing thing took me years to ignore. I take a bigger size in some clothes because of my shape/proportions, and it took a long time to see the label as nothing more significant than the sizing on shoes. There are so many brands catering for younger girls though that don't make anything past a 12. I remember looking at the 'boutique' ranges in Topshop when I was 20 or so and realising that they didn'#t go past a Large and the Large was about a size 12.

I'm still shocked that bras that go up to a J cup have pants that only go up to an XL/size 16 though. Aren't people with large breasts generally bigger?

HelenLG Tue 04-Jan-11 11:09:05

I second that Superdry is a british company, my husband did some work for them...

As for their sizing, I can't even buy DH t-shirts from Superdry as they are always too short. He's 6 foot which I had never consider extremely tall, but it's the same with Bench and other such brands...

Ladyofthehousespeaking Tue 04-Jan-11 11:11:01

I've actually worked for superdry and got to know the people who run it pretty well, I wore a xs/s in their clothes but I really small boned and a short arse.

Unfortunately I know they won't hire girls over a size 10 because it isn't 'inkeeping with superdrys image'
hated working for them, the worst employers ever and I launched a complaint and eventually got a pay out.

Would never shop there ever again.

tyler80 Tue 04-Jan-11 11:12:23

I would have thought pants would correlate with back size rather than cup size, if you're 34j you're unlikely to be larger than a size 16, so it depends on what back size the range goes up to

mippy Tue 04-Jan-11 11:13:40

Also, Topshop's sizes go up to a 16, but good luck actually finding any on the shop floor. That can't be great for teenagers when their mates are pawing through the 85 size 10 and 12s on the racks.

LaurieFairyonthetreeEatsCake Tue 04-Jan-11 11:14:49

I really do have a problem with size 10's being labelled 'large' - I am fine as a size 18 and an adult accepting I can't shop in a lot of high street or trendy shops but if I was a lovely healthy size 10/12 as I was as a teenager and I couldn't shop there I am sure that would affect my self-confidence.

There is something morally wrong about labelling a size 12 teenager as an XL and expecting her to live with that label.

mippy Tue 04-Jan-11 11:15:09

tyler80, I wear Freya which goes up to a 40, which must be bigger than an 16 surely?

ladyofthehouse, I imagine a lot of clothes shops do judge by looks/image a lot, don't they? If only because they can say that their assistants must wear the stock when on the shop floor.

GingerbreadGiraffe Tue 04-Jan-11 11:15:09

Its the same for Jack Wills, A&F, Hollister etc,

They are all breeding a generation of girls with image issues

Im 5,10 and skinny- BMI of 19. I struggle to get in my Large A&F jumper. Its mental..

Ladyofthehousespeaking Tue 04-Jan-11 11:18:50

Mippy- oh yes of course

it's just when 'fatties' came in for job interviews it's pretty horrific watching a manager roll their eyes and walk behind them doing a waddling walk.
Yuck.

PinkElephantsOnParade Tue 04-Jan-11 11:20:18

Not been in Superdry but just been introduced to the delights of Hollister by my 11yo DD.

What really gets me about that shop is having to queue to get in! shock

It really goes against the grain to have to queue up for the privilege of being relieved of lots of cash for overpriced tat.

Hollister is basically rebranded Abercrombie and Fitch. When I went into their New York store and asked advice on sizing from one of the sulky teens there she said "we haven't anything to fit you at all"

I was size 12 at the time.

As I walked out saw a very large (must have been at leat size 18) teen walk in. Felt like telling her to run for the hills! grin

K12Mom Tue 04-Jan-11 11:22:15

About bra size... it is possible to have huge boobs but still be small. I am a 30G, which means that although I have massive knockers, my back is small, so I wear a size 12.

NorbertDentressangle Tue 04-Jan-11 11:24:13

GetOrf -is that true about them starting off in Hereford?

Knowing Hereford fairly well, it doesn't strike me as being a hotbed of trendy fashion (not saying that all Herefordians are frumpy numpties, its just that it doesn't seem as "bang on trend" as a lot of cities)

so basically Superdry DO make Womens sizes in a size Xl (16)....which actually comes up more as a size 12-14, but they DON'T sell it in THEIR Stores or from their website, because of their image, but will sell it via Next Directory, Littlewoods + other various clothing catalogues!!!....that in itself is twisted!

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 04-Jan-11 11:26:26

Dstepson used to work for Syuperdry years ago when he as 17, he worked initially in their warehouse, but he got moved to the shop as he is very good looking and fitted in with their image.

he said that they hired purely on good looks, but I don't think that is hugely surprising, loads of shops and other busibness (e.g. stewerdesses for Emirates) hire purely on what you look like.

It is ridiculous really, but nothing new.

I have found Hollister and Abercombie stuff is sized completely differently, a lot more genetrous.

My brother lives in California and he laughs at how aspirational Abercrombie and Hollister are viewed in the UK. In LA no adult would be seen dead in it, it is emptahically a leisure brand for young teens. And it is far cheaper.

memphis83 Tue 04-Jan-11 11:26:32

im a 10-12 with D cup boobs and i can only just get into a large hoody, ordered it from Next as it was only in xs in store, I ordered the XL and L got delivered, rang them they said its a printing error!! But i got the M in the wax coat as the large was massive in comparrison! their sizing is messed up, my dh is a small bloke and only just gets into a medium so its not just the womens!

FiveFeetTwo Tue 04-Jan-11 11:27:07

Oops, I thought you were talking about a brand of incontinence pants.

blush

LaurieFairyonthetreeEatsCake Tue 04-Jan-11 11:27:08

"Im 5,10 and skinny- BMI of 19. I struggle to get in my Large A&F jumper. Its mental."

What gingerbread says just sums it up. It is totally immoral to say that anyone who's bmi is 19 is a large.

I cannot help but think that would contribute to eating disorders.

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 04-Jan-11 11:29:20

Norbert - the bloke who owns Superdry lives in Cheltenham, as far as I know they started off on a market stall in Hereford and the first shop opened in Cheltenham a few years later.

DP is a bit hmm about the rise of Superdry's fortunes as he remembers Cult Clothing as just a shitty little local shop.

NorbertDentressangle Tue 04-Jan-11 11:32:33

You learn something everyday on MN.

I'll have to drop that info into the conversation when our (thinks shes) ultra-cool 12 yo neighbour pops round wearing the latest Superdry purchase (Cheltenham and Hereford are both nearby) smile

FIMBOisfirstfootin2moro Tue 04-Jan-11 11:33:14

My dd (12) has the black raincoat thing and it is xs, she can fit an xs hoodie under it!

Yes, yes agree about H&M, I recently had an 11yr old dd sobbing her heart out in the changing room of that place saying she was 'fat' because the jeans she'd tried on wouldn't even fasten,didn't have any problems with the younger kids clothes, if anything I found them to be on the larger side.

Fwiw, dd is so scrawny I have been known tto resort to braces ! Her body is changing with puberty and she's starting to get hips and a bit of shape, clothing manufacturers need to realise this because it does cause damage.

i may just order a size Xl jacket from Next, just to see A) if it actually arrives/exists, + B) how big/small their "XL" actually is....i'm still waiting for Superdry to reply to my email + see if they can shed some light on the subject...Hmmmm

i may just order a size Xl jacket from Next, just to see A) if it actually arrives/exists, + B) how big/small their "XL" actually is....i'm still waiting for Superdry to reply to my email + see if they can shed some light on the subject...Hmmmm

Mists Tue 04-Jan-11 12:03:03

YANBU, my DD is aged 10 and of average size but she isn't even an XS there. When she develops boobs and hips she'll be a XL like me.

LOL at "brand of incontinence pants" grin

EdgarAleNPie Tue 04-Jan-11 12:07:31

well, my sister is a superdry 'L' though an LK bennett 12 ...

I think the loud music blaring from the shop made it lear that i was too ol to be in there anyway (disclaimer: sister is older than me, but still has social life, therefore is younger in most meaningful ways)

mippy Tue 04-Jan-11 12:11:00

I take a large in Uniqlo, and I have 36ff norks. How can a wee teenager be a large?

Mind you, boyfriend's ex was an A-cup and took a large when she lived in Japan. Maybe the Japanese sizing is part of their brand image, but given Uniqlo is actually a Japanese company....

hystericalmum Tue 04-Jan-11 12:13:50

The name of the shop makes me think it stocks sanitary products!

Its taken me years to adapt to the attitude that clothing sizes don't matter to me,but how it fits + flatters my curves is more important, I find now that sizes don't just vary from shop to shop but within shops too, I can NEVER buy anything off the rail, I always take dozens of things to the changing rooms to try on, if it fits it fits whatever the size! I have clothes in my wardrobe ranging from a size 14-18, and some of the size 14's come up larger than the 18's, (i consider myself a 14-16 but i have a very large bust so have to buy bigger in tops) luckily I think my atttitude has rubbed off on my 14yr old daughter, who although is only a size 8-10 has broad "swimmers shoulders" so knows that in some styles/brands she has to buy a larger size + has accepted that,she is also a dancer so is conscious of how she looks, but is also realistic in her thinking that just because it says size L in 1 item of clothing in her wardrobe she is not a large person...

ifancyashandy Tue 04-Jan-11 13:54:58

Have skim read the whole thread. I am a size 12 (28/30 waist, 34dd norks) and 5'8 and I wear a medium in Superdry. Maybe it was just a badly cut item?
No excuse for the v. rude assistant though. I'd have been most cross on DD's behalf too.

trice Tue 04-Jan-11 14:00:23

I don't like their attitude to staff. It can't be legal to select staff on dress size surely? Apparently they do so in quite a few teen targeting shops.

Ok so I finally had an email reply from Superdry...a pretty crap one though!! my Email asked why they dont seem to sell size XL in their stores or on their website in any of their womens clothing but they stock it in Next directory, Littlewoods and other various mail order catalogues?....their reply was "yes we do sell womens clothing in a size XL, but when a size is sold out we do not list it on our website"....I then spent an hour going through their whole womens range of every item in every colour + surprise surprise there was not ONE single item "in stock" in a size XL!!.... I then decided to phone a store, only to be told that there is in fact only 2 womens items that they sell in a size XL + that is a Polar Windcheater Jacket + a Technical windcheater jacket!!....so that is why memphis your size Xl sweatshirt from Next didnt arrive, and they told you it was a printing error because they dont actually manufacture it in a size XL!!.....I am now in the process of emailing Superdry back....not that it will get me anywhere, but it will make me feel better as I am so peed off that no one could give me a straight answer in the 1st place!!angry..so basically if you are a size 12 plus you can buy a hoodie from superdry, but it will have to be from the mens department!!!

I have at last had an honest reply from Superdry, admitting that their sizes come up small + are slim fitting...I have pasted it below:

Hi Bev,

Superdry is a slim-fitting brand & many people find that the sizes are smaller than what they are used to. We do not do larger sizes because as a brand, like any other, we target only a certain section of the market as we cannot cater for everyone unfortunately.

Many of the men’s & women’s ranges are identical & you could consider purchasing a L in these.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Kind Regards

Emma

monkeyjamtart Wed 05-Jan-11 15:53:24

Just noticed Avon have started sizing there undies and pjs at 6-8 small, 10-12 medium, 14-16 Large.

I don't think a size 14 is large. I certainly dont think a size 10 is a medium. Cant they just drop the size 6-8 or call it child size?

Bogeyface Wed 05-Jan-11 15:56:37

I am more shocked that you a) paid £120 for a coat for a teenager and b) that you bought it even though it doesnt really fit with appropriate clothes on under it!

However....I would write and ask them to explain their sizing wrt coats and see what they say. No point kicking off at the assistant, she isnt in charge of sizing!

Bogeyface Wed 05-Jan-11 16:00:30

we target only a certain section of the market

IOW "we dont want fat chicks in our clothes". Nice! That would put me off buying there on principle!

Simbacatlives Wed 05-Jan-11 16:02:54

The comment about abercrombie made me laugh. I went with dd to the pretentious London one where they were queuing to get in! In the USA it's just an average mall shop- in every shopping centre- like gap and cheap. Very clever marketing here I think.

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 05-Jan-11 16:07:52

£120 for a coat is pretty reasonable I think.

At least dd bloody well wears it anyway (like most teens, she normally doesn't bother with coats).

Simba - my brother always laughs under his breath at his colleague who first arrive in the US from the UK. They spend the first couple of months buying everything from Abercrombie, before they realise that nobody over the age of 13 thinks it is an attractive brand.

That said, bro says that All Saints have just opened in LA and people think it is brilliant and are really raving about it.

I think it just comes down to novelty.

Yes - I think that Superdry's response is predictable - we don't want ugly fatsos wearing our clothes.

friedtoacrisp Wed 05-Jan-11 16:13:13

Superdry? Sounds like a new brand of nappy to me. Why would you?

TaperJeanGirl Wed 05-Jan-11 16:14:39

My brothers girlfriend works for superdry,she said they really do pick the prettiest/slimmest applicants for jobs, she is very slim and pretty envy I was so pleased when she got a job there too as she gets a nice discount, the only time i'll ever use it is for t shirts for my almost 6 year old!

Swedes1 Wed 05-Jan-11 16:22:50

LOL at that email response from Superdry: Dear Fatty,
Go chomp on a Greggs sausage roll.

&#12354;&#12394;&#12383;&#12434;&#24859;&#12375;&# 12390;&#12367;&#12384;&#12373;&#12356;

springsummer2001 Sat 30-Mar-13 18:00:27

My 12 year old DD isn't that skinny and she wanted one for her birthday so we went to the store to buy her a windcheater that had been reduced by 20 pounds again as a mum I wanted to buy her something with a lot of give she has a medium hollister hoodie that was quite big so I thought that would be perfect for her so she tried it on. It fitted her but wouldn't last long so we tried on the large again same results but would last longer so we tried on the XL that was a quite a bit big so that was fine.

The store I went to is in Inverness in Scotland and they had extra large in every thing. confused

JamieandtheMagicTorch Sat 30-Mar-13 18:06:55

Round here ( east London) The North Face seems to be just as fashionable, better quality, i suspect as well, as they are a genuine walking/ climbing brand.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Sat 30-Mar-13 18:09:20

...and cheaper

GreenEggsAndNichts Sat 30-Mar-13 18:12:46

Their clothes seem to be cut very slim. As others have said, I don't mean that as a comment on the actual size of the people wearing them, just that they don't allow much 'give', where another brand in the same size fitting the same person would probably be a bit looser.

Also, it's funny that you describe them as trendy for teens etc (I have no doubt you're correct, btw!) because the main people I see wearing them are men in their 40s Trying Too Hard. Probably also wearing Converse.

SawyerHuckleberry Sat 30-Mar-13 18:19:40

If you don't know it it is a chain of shops which cater mainly for teens and young trendies.

I'm sorry but YABU to say that. Superdry is definitely not "trendy"

Anyway I looked on their website and they go up to size 14.

Complain if you won't but it's not going to get your anywhere.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Sat 30-Mar-13 18:20:27

I personally don't see the appeal of 'superdry'. Having the name written across the clothing is just quite desperate-to-be-cool in my view. It's also really common (as in everybody seems to wear them).

The only way to make companies change is to stop financially pandering to them. If their stuff doesn't fit, for pity's sake, stop buyng it. Ditto if you're troubled by a 'large' label. It's just a label and not a measure of self-worth. That's what we should be telling our children anyway. Are we actually doing that?

cardibach Sat 30-Mar-13 18:21:16

GreenEggs I am a woman in my 40s wearing Converse. I am not trying too hard. They are comfortable, hard wearing and actually come in my size (9 or 10 depending on style).
Superdry, on the other hand, are bloody ridiculous with their sizing and attitude. Hollister and GIlly Hicks, while having a greater range of more sensible sizes, are the same. A friend of DDs was scouted to work in GIlly Hicks (invited in the street). A few months later she had her very long, very lovely hair cut for charity (not shaved - cut into a bob) and they sacked her as she no longer portrayed tthe right image for the brand confused

JamieandtheMagicTorch Sat 30-Mar-13 18:24:44

GreenEggs

That is why Superdry isn't fashionable anymore. Middle aged people have adopted the brand.

That isn't a comment on whether the clothes are nice are not, btw.

LahleeMooloo Sat 30-Mar-13 18:28:02

Maybe we should be teaching our daughters (hypothetical, I have a ds), that as long as they're healthy, it doesn't matter what dress labels say? You're all putting so much emphasis on it when they're largely meaningless.

SawyerHuckleberry Sat 30-Mar-13 18:30:39

Converse or "Chucks" are vintage in my opinion - they first came out close to 100 years now.

A person of any age can wear them, I would never think - omg they are trying too hard to be "cool".

Superdry/Jack Wills etc yes trying too hard to be cool at any age.

Softlysoftly Sat 30-Mar-13 18:31:27

I got DH a superdry coat for his birthday (36 but I thought ideal imd-life crisis time), thing is he is comfortably in an XL and he is "ahem" a little squidgy around the middle.

SO that means Fat girls can't wear them but if you are a fat bloke thats just fine [hmmm}.

I won't be getting anything else from there on principle (and the fact he says its too hot and wears the £20 jobby from the outdoor sports clearance place angry).

travellingwilbury Sat 30-Mar-13 18:33:01

This is over two years old , zombie thread .

Weird .

Trills Sat 30-Mar-13 18:33:32

I thought this seemed familiar!

Trills Sat 30-Mar-13 18:34:13

Superdry was more trendy in 2010 smile

LadyBeaEGGleEyes Sat 30-Mar-13 18:34:15

This thread was started in December 2010.

SawyerHuckleberry Sat 30-Mar-13 18:35:35

springsummer2001

Why did you resurrect this thread?

Bit odd.

LadyBeaEGGleEyes Sat 30-Mar-13 18:38:08

Xposted with everyone.
I only noticed because GetOrfMoiLand hasn't used that name in ages.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Sat 30-Mar-13 18:39:36

Oh yes. Should have noticed

GetOeuf Sat 30-Mar-13 18:45:33

Well this is a blast from the past.

DD wouldn't be seen DEAD In Superdry now? It's for old people.

LadyBeaEGGleEyes Sat 30-Mar-13 18:47:03

Actually, it sounds like springsummer is from Inverness which is probably about 2 years behind the fashion trends, so she's probably posting in real time grin
They only got a SuperDry at the end of last year.
Disclaimer, my nearest town is Inverness so I'm not being rude.

GetOeuf Sat 30-Mar-13 18:57:48

Lol at inverness fashions.

We always used to say that where I grew up in Devon - years behind the fashions.

GreenEggsAndNichts Sat 30-Mar-13 19:50:46

woah woah there Cardibach, I'm a 36 yr old also wearing Converse. I didn't say anything about Converse except that I'd expect middle aged Trying Too Hard Superdry man to also be wearing them.

If that still upsets you, I'm sorry. Tis merely an observation.

pigletmania Sat 30-Mar-13 19:54:28

I am a size 14-16 ang got a superdry pea coat in large from the ladies section, depends on the style I think

GreenEggsAndNichts Sat 30-Mar-13 19:54:35

Sawyer exactly, Converse are a bit retro and seeing them alone doesn't make me think anything really. But then, I wear them myself.

springsummer2001 Tue 02-Apr-13 20:14:29

Well I'm not from Inverness but my dd was born there it was either 40 miles there or 60 miles to the Aberdeen store.

springsummer2001 Tue 02-Apr-13 20:29:11

Well it was my dd that wanted the Superdry jacket as most girls in her class are wearing them and mind you the town we live in is actually quite small and probably well behind in everything fashion wise so really the only reason she actually wanted one is all because of those highly superficial girls in her class.

Anyway all she actually wanted was a jacket from there she prefers hollister anyway I think hollister has better sizes because the medium from there is quite big on her

SmilingCrocodile Tue 02-Apr-13 20:32:32

springsummer what is your obsession with this thread? confused

It was 3 years old when you resurrected.

And have gone back hunting for it again.

Extremely odd.

Still18atheart Tue 02-Apr-13 20:43:42

I'm surprised I'm a size 12 and I have quite a few tops and jumpers from there. I also tried on a coat which was a great fit for me but chose not to buy in the end

SmilingCrocodile Tue 02-Apr-13 20:48:50

Still18atheart

this thread is old, it was started in 2009.

springsummer for some reason bumped it up after 3 years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now