dh doesn't believe 2mo said mama to me

(109 Posts)
zapostrophe Sun 12-Dec-10 16:15:39

Message withdrawn

yeah right grin

It was a mistake, she was just babbling, but lucky you grin

you aren't being PFB. just insane wink

catinthehat2 Sun 12-Dec-10 16:26:18

one of mine said "potato" quite clearly at roughly the same age.
I cannot tell you how freaked out I was.shock

pippop1 Sun 12-Dec-10 16:30:55

My five year old said that "zero was the middle number in all the world". We'd just told him about minus numbers. I had to think if he was right! He got an A* in his Maths A level in the summer.

Chulita Sun 12-Dec-10 16:33:38

Your 5 year old has a Maths A level? [boggles]

twopeople Sun 12-Dec-10 16:34:42

Message withdrawn

melpomene Sun 12-Dec-10 16:39:08

I'm sure your dh is just jealous that she didn't say "dada" wink

My dd1 once said "hello" very clearly at the same age.

MeUnscrabbly Sun 12-Dec-10 16:40:47

Wasn't there someone on MN who's cat said 'he's a murderer'?

Your 2mo may have said mama, or potato, or Czechoslovakia, but not with any particular intent or meaning behind the sound.

lagrandissima Sun 12-Dec-10 16:48:45

My 3 wk old PFB said "don't cry mummy". My mother witnessed this. My DH thought we were both bonkers.

Ray81 Sun 12-Dec-10 16:49:11

My DD2 said Fish at about the same age. DH was so chuffed said she was very clever etc. I just rolled my eyes. grin

fortyplus Sun 12-Dec-10 17:11:01

When ds1 was just under 2 he was great at talking so I 'trained' him that when I said 'What happens when a tadpole turns into a frog' he replied 'metamorphosis!' grin

Though aged about 2.2 he came up with 'When I grow up I'm going to chop you up with an axe' Bless him... wink

TottWriter Sun 12-Dec-10 17:11:47

My DD (5mo) must be slow, as all she's managed so far is a slightly vague "hello" and an exorcist impression..

((And yes, the gurgle does sound like hello - I love cute flukes!))

glastocat Sun 12-Dec-10 17:15:09

My nine month old said 'Fuck' quite distinctly. My husband heard it too. Asd it was not a word we were in the habit of using in front of him it was quite disconcerting, and totally hilarious. grin

WilfShelf Sun 12-Dec-10 17:18:47

My 2 mo DS said 'you must sacrifice a pig and worship Sataaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan'

But he said it backwards. I swear.

grin

peppapighastakenovermylife Sun 12-Dec-10 17:21:15

My nearly 4 month old said 'pardon' this afternoon so not only is he a genius but he is very polite wink

ullainga Sun 12-Dec-10 21:20:19

Of course she did. I know a cat who is talking about his friend John, this one

DrSeuss Sun 12-Dec-10 21:32:55

They do say, "Ma ma" quite a lot, quite early. Linguistically speaking, that's believed to be the reason so many languages have a word for mummy that starts with the sound "Ma".
DS said the word "arse" at less than 24 hours old as I was changing his nappy. At least, he exhaled with a kind of "arr-suh" sound so I complemented him on his vocabulary!

MrsPickles Sun 12-Dec-10 21:34:17

My baby said mama at 4 months, and definitely repeated ELEPHANT after DH smile
So I believe you!

MrsPickles Sun 12-Dec-10 21:35:12

Oh and DD1 said "I see dead people" at about 12months shock. Well it sounded very like that anyway

sooz28 Sun 12-Dec-10 21:38:18

mine said at one (and he didn't say proper words til nearly two) - 'I love volvos'

BrandyButterPie Sun 12-Dec-10 21:40:40

DD1 said "Obama" on the morning after he was elected. She did then point to a banana, but still!

nymphadora Sun 12-Dec-10 21:44:17

Dd2(9) is telling everyone that dd3 said 'ow' at 7 weeks. She is so impressed

MsKalo Sun 12-Dec-10 21:47:06

My ds said mama very early too, I find it hard to believe now as my DD has only recently said it -
(at fourteen months) but I know it is true as I wrote it down and remember it clearly!

Iwasthefourthwiseman Sun 12-Dec-10 21:49:23

DD2 is 11 weeks and said 'Hey' to me today - promise!

MisSalLaneous Sun 12-Dec-10 21:56:20

grin BrandyBatterPie. Some might argue that says so much about the political situation... <<uninterested in politics yet easily amused emoticon>>

BrandyButterPie Sun 12-Dec-10 22:08:47

DD1 was very good at random words out of nowhere- she used to wake up every morning saying "leg leg leg leg" and would quite often say "ohgod" when she was tired

DD2 is better with gestures. A personal favourite is randomly raising her fist like some kind of baby revolutionary :D

FlamingoBingo Sun 12-Dec-10 22:11:33

grin What a fab thread!

One of my DDs said, aged, 1 week, 'beer' grin

ethelina Sun 12-Dec-10 22:16:36

DS also does the revolution gesture, he says gnu as well. He's 13 weeks old.

MisSalLaneous Sun 12-Dec-10 22:20:33

When he was a week old, we had some professional photos taken of ds (pfb, I know, I know blush) - when selecting, he was doing the middle finger on quite a few!

My 6mo DS clearly said the word 'geek' in a gaming shop. He was surrounded by them at the time.

I know it was a coincidence, but it was a funny coincidence. grin

My dd had a whole conversation with me about Dr Seuss at 3 days old. Of course I hadn't slept and was also hallucinating that there were giant spiders in the room. I'm not a reliable witness.

pippop1 Sun 12-Dec-10 22:29:51

No! My 19 year old has maths A level. He grew up (sorry I wasn't clear).

ragged Sun 12-Dec-10 22:42:07

DS3 smiled at 13 days old, very clearly and obviously in response to social interaction, I have it on video. But the rest of you are deluded .

DD smiled at 13 days old too! She did it again later that day at dh and the next day at the midwife and hv. She smiled a lot from 2 weeks onwards. Not unheard of at all.

Jic Sun 12-Dec-10 22:51:43

When ds was seven months he said bitch

DD's first word at 3 days was 'NO!'

That went on for the next 16 years wink

tethersjinglebellend Sun 12-Dec-10 22:53:31

At nine days old, DD said that people actually make decisions based on the meaning to them rather than rationally, and that the rejection of reason as the source of meaning is a common theme of existentialist thought, as is the focus on the feelings of anxiety and dread that we feel in the face of our own radical freedom and our awareness of death.

Which was a surprise to all of us. Not least her dad, who has always advocated rationality as means to interact with the objective world (e.g. in the natural sciences), but when it comes to existential problems, maintains that reason is insufficient, as human reason has boundaries.

How we laugh about it now.

grin

Kristingle Sun 12-Dec-10 22:56:25

grin at tethersend

WilfShelf Sun 12-Dec-10 23:04:53

Am actually crying at tethersend grin

Do not mock me blush but ds3 has been talking since he was about 4 months old ....honestly hes never shut up - we laugh and say on the day he was born he said in his stewie from family guy voice .....'ohhh another one too posh to push'.

Its true ...(not the day he was born line but the other bit) even the HV used to take him to say hello to the gps.

I did have ds1 who didnt talk til he was 4 and ds2 who lisped so badly no-one knew what he was saying though.

Iwasthefourthwiseman Sun 12-Dec-10 23:13:57

Dd made a sound that sounded like 'woof' at 9 months & thereafter I conditioned her to say it in response to 'what do doggies say?'

My 4 month old said apple.

In German

<proud>

openerofjars Sun 12-Dec-10 23:24:05

Mine said "Catweazle" at 4mo. He was mimicking me insulting DH, harshly but accurately.

He's still at it. I asked him today (he's now 2) what he did with Daddy today and he replied "ran out of bloody milk".

onceamai Sun 12-Dec-10 23:29:11

By 10 mo DS had the full repertoire of amimals and their noises. I believe you OP. Sadly DS, now 15, also says things like "I'm going out, can I have fifteen quid" and "are you two going to pay my tuition fees up front"!! Enjoy these tender years. grin

OP, did you have Any Idea this thread would develop this way? You've cheered me up, thank you. I'm nominating it for Classics.

Oh, and before you permanently move over to Gifted and Talented, please give us some updates x

Iwasthefourthwiseman Sun 12-Dec-10 23:43:21

Dd1 (3) said from the toilet today 'please stop badgering me' grin. I don't know where she got it from...

Teela Sun 12-Dec-10 23:45:11

DS1 cried out MAMMOOOO to me when he was very little, like 8 weeks grin

WilfShelf Sun 12-Dec-10 23:57:48

The mama bit is bizarre though. The first words all babies say are surely agu, abu and adu... or perhaps that is just special Wilf language.

I did especially enjoy my eldest when aged 3 casually dropping in to the conversation in adult tone 'right. I'm just off for a piss.'

Fell about. Explains a lot.

DreamTeamGirl Mon 13-Dec-10 00:12:24

Honestly honestly here

My DS said 'huggee/ huggy' from a very VERY young age, like 4 or 5 weeks. I had no idea at first that it was so odd or I would have signed him up to do nappy adverts smile

He stopped doing it before he was 6 months for sure, but I cant recall when exactly, but literally everyone heard him say it, inc GPs and all sorts. he then didnt speak again till a normal age (about 18 months isnt it? I forget, but it was a normal range)

He is just normal now, and apparently not a genius, although he does talk a LOT

op just be happy she knows your 'real' name! dd called me money for ages, until she was nearly two i think hmm she loves money to this day... the paper variety.

dp thought it was great because her first word was daddy and she said that perfectly grin

KathyImLost Mon 13-Dec-10 00:25:28

My DD, 6 months, said "hear ye, hear ye" recently. Though her first word was "help" when she was a couple of weeks old. She said it to the health visitor.

giraffesCantDanceOnAllThisSnow Mon 13-Dec-10 06:57:25

My friends dd said hello at a couple of months old, I was sitting holding her saying Hellooooo and she started to repeat the sound back - it was more a hhhmmm noise (which she said all the time when falling asleep) to the tone of the way I said hello

YulenoYurbubson Mon 13-Dec-10 07:14:03

Dd1 said "a big gibbon" when she was about 5 months old.

Numberfour Mon 13-Dec-10 07:22:57

"My five year old said that "zero was the middle number in all the world". We'd just told him about minus numbers. I had to think if he was right! He got an A* in his Maths A level in the summer."

PP: my DS is 6 and he told me that, too about a week ago!!! I also had to stop and think.

ShrinkingViolet Mon 13-Dec-10 08:15:30

Dd1's first word was "cuff" (as in "pull my cuff up over my hand mummy as I can't play with my fingers"). She then spent 18 months not saying a workd in public, but practiced by herself in her cot grin

VeronicaCake Mon 13-Dec-10 08:25:18

At 7 weeks my DD started saying 'A Gu' a lot. We figured she was probably asking for one of those fancy puddings so we weaned her on to chocolate mousse at 2 months.

Bicnod Mon 13-Dec-10 08:44:49

This thread has had me crying with laughter.

PsecretSantead my DS said 'water' in Spanish when he was 4 months old grin

Now age 19 months he has progressed to 'oh bollocks', which he said yesterday when daddy was struggling to park the car blush

post Mon 13-Dec-10 09:37:23

My cat said 'hello' once. He was about 4.

BuntyPenfold Mon 13-Dec-10 09:40:09

My son smiled and said 'hello' at a very few weeks.
I didn't know it was unusual, until the HV gasped with amazement and wrote it down, saying she had never seen such a young baby greet anyone like that.
"He's been doing that for ages." I said.

ChunkyBrewster Mon 13-Dec-10 09:40:22

My FIL was convinced my DD was conducting in time to classical music he was playing her when she was 5 weeks old. He also thinks his cats talk to him but clearly, the man just recognises pure genius when it is before him. wink

My (normally) rational DH was convinced that DD said lifeguard when she was about 7 weeks old. I am very hmm but he is absolutely unshakable in his belief.
Only he heard it because she wanted to tell him and him only.

notalone Mon 13-Dec-10 09:48:21

My Ds randomly said duvet cover at this age - but he was only babbling, as was your DD - sorry, your DH is right. Still better mama than duvet cover grin

Brilliant thread.

DS's first word was scissors, at about 5mo hmm

BaggedandTagged Mon 13-Dec-10 09:51:18

My son miaowed aged 6 weeks. He hasnt done it since we stopped the cat babysitting him though.

Ormirian Mon 13-Dec-10 09:52:24

I am so sorry to hear that your DD is so slow to speak. You must be so worried. When my DD was a week old she was addressing me as 'dearest mother' and composing haiku on the subject of her teddy bear.

Have you considered a tutor?

rofl Orm grin

WilfShelf Mon 13-Dec-10 10:00:46

I love the idea that all these babies 'arrive' and someone instructs them how to really do their parents' heads in:

"Right, you've got to pretend you understand NOTHING for 18 months, but - just once in a while - drop in the odd weird word, no blinking, just carry on as normal. If you like, stretch it out a little like this 'liiiiiifeguaaaaaaaaard' while staring them direct in the eye. Then turn back to aimlessly bashing the black and white face shape that the losers have got for you. They'll FRAEK and be forever in your power."

BornToFolk Mon 13-Dec-10 10:02:29

DS was 14 weeks old at his first Christmas. He looked straight at a bauble and said "bawbaw". Then he went back to saying "ahgooooo".

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Mon 13-Dec-10 10:04:11

PMSL Wilfshelf

my sister was totally determined that the first word my boys should say was "elephant"

didn't happen.

MrsChemistrySetInMyStocking Mon 13-Dec-10 10:08:05

Ds called a stuffed lion 'egg' at about four months old.
His first real word was duck.
He is 16mo and has recently taken to calling me baba hmm I'm hoping it is not a critique of my personality.

BertieBottlesOfMulledWine Mon 13-Dec-10 10:10:36

DS used to say "Idid" - I remember going round the supermarket asking him various questions about what he had done and hearing him "reply" with "I did!"

BertieBottlesOfMulledWine Mon 13-Dec-10 10:11:21

grin Wilf, that's brilliant. You should write a parody manual for babies.

Curiousmama Mon 13-Dec-10 10:17:51

my dog says mama only because I've encouraged it, he says it to me if he wants to go out. Others have witnessed it. I don't take him out in a pram though, that would be silly wink

MrsChemistrySetInMyStocking Mon 13-Dec-10 10:21:16

Was the cat saying he's a murderer thread in chat? I can't find it and it was hilarious sad

WilfShelf Mon 13-Dec-10 10:26:03

I MUST read the cat saying he's a murderer thread! I know, I have work to do. But please someone link...

Habbibu Mon 13-Dec-10 10:26:21

Crying laughing at tethers and Orm.

My username came from dd's first utterance. We thought it was nonsense. Turns out it was Arabic. Unfortunately, we failed to nuture her nascent bilingualism, and there's nary a word left. Let this be a lessson to you all.

GiddyPickle Mon 13-Dec-10 10:45:00

My DD's first words were Spanish - we don't speak Spanish and don't know anyone who does (I recorded the words in her baby book and found out later what they meant!)

My DS uttered random English words from about 2 months old - all sorts of things but all of them one-offs. He could speak in full sentences by 14 months old (he is no genius though - definitely no A Levels aged 5!)

GiddyPickle Mon 13-Dec-10 10:47:05

And the best bit was that he is tiny for his age so strangers in Sainsburys heard a little 9 boy who looked 9 months old say "We get pasta Mummy!" or "I not like dat one" and they'd nearly die of shock grin

kenobi Mon 13-Dec-10 10:54:29

DD's first 'word' at about 5 mo was 'blah, blah, blah'.

Which I took very personally as I talk a lot and it was clear even the baby was heckling me sad

Now she lies in her cot shouting 'abdab abdab ABDAB'. Which obviously makes no sense but is an improvement as I no longer feel judged.

arudolf Mon 13-Dec-10 11:08:13

the first thing DS said was Ahoy! when he was a few weeks old. If it wasn't for the fact that this means "hello" in his father's language, I'd have thought we had a pirate on our hands. Instead I had to suffer months of DH going 'he's a genius!" (and then, when DS aged about 6 months clearly said "buggery", that changed to "he's an evil genius!")

Real first word is 'woof' though - which isn't either of our languages, given that neither of us is a Canine hmm

WilfShelf Mon 13-Dec-10 11:11:38

rofl at baby heckling:

"Look, if they're boring the arse off you with their constant sing-song narrating all the time 'Oooh look ickle biddy Sophie is having her nappy wappy changed!' then you gotta hit 'em where it hurts. Go for the 'blah blah blah' heckle while they're yakking on. Or just cough 'bollocks' under your breath. Sure, the mother will be in tears but at least you'll get a bit of bloody peace and quiet..."

<hmm, maybe there IS a book in this...>

BertieBottlesOfMulledWine Mon 13-Dec-10 11:19:28

I know my stepmum used to rave about a book called "How to be a little sod" which is supposed to be along the same lines, but I haven't read it.

redflag Mon 13-Dec-10 11:20:46

My 5 month old has been saying "i love you" for around 2 months now. Although he sort of sings it and is only copying the noises rather than saying the words. grin But i still think it counts

messylittlemonkey Mon 13-Dec-10 11:28:42

dd2 who is nearly 9mo says 'mama' to me and has for a few weeks.

i didn't think much of it but have noticed that she only uses it plaintively if she needs attention in some way or is cross about something!

kenobi Mon 13-Dec-10 11:42:55

Wilfshelf - 'Or just cough 'bollocks' under your breath.'

Have just snorted porridge.

Loving this thread.

sockmonkey Mon 13-Dec-10 11:55:29

Oh my, I love this thread.
I have a video of DD at 6months saying Mum Mum Mum... thought she was clever, but by this thread's standards she is a bit backwards.

Scaredycat3000 Mon 13-Dec-10 13:56:36

I can' quite remember how old DS was when he started saying 'Hi ya', maybe 5 months, he said it quite a bit, the clearest time he said it was in the waiting room in front of 2 HV. We all laughed and I thought no more of it. On our next visit for some reason the HV starts telling me about this baby that had said Hi ya grin, but he had stopped by then.

He also once said 'fuck it', we told MIL who had no sense of humour about it and seemed to think he meant it hmm

He's 20months now and still not talking, grr.

zapostrophe Mon 13-Dec-10 22:05:54

Message withdrawn

WilfShelf Mon 13-Dec-10 22:22:29

rofl at Aga. I bet she's also knocking up a few Nordic felted Christmas decorations behind your back also, while looking like she's just contentedly playing with her mobile. She's got them slotted underneath the mattress, ready to whip out with the snowflake shortbread dusted with sparkle sugar she made while apparently sleeping.

If you will leave the room to make a cup of tea...

nymphadora Wed 15-Dec-10 18:29:12

Dd3 is saying hello to everyone today. She is 10 weeks

bandgeek Fri 17-Dec-10 16:57:20

DS could say 'ta' when you handed him something when he was around 4 months. I've tons of witnesses.grin

I took him in for my 20 week scan with DD when he was 7 months old and he kept on saying 'baba'. I like to think it was about the scan [precious first born]

Bathsheba Fri 17-Dec-10 17:14:18

I'm absolutely convinced my DD1 said "Poppy" onn her first night....

That is of course her name.

It may have been midwives whispering outside my door though...

celestinelass Fri 17-Dec-10 19:49:55

My 2 year old daughter trotted into playgroup ahead of me and the pushchair and announced to 12 startled mums and one mortified dad that....

"Mummy's got a string up her bum!"

That was the absolute end of shared bathroom time......

blush

FairiesWearSnowBoots Fri 17-Dec-10 19:56:24

well in this case my DS is amazingly clever!

one day old:
us: "do you want to meet your cousin now?"
him: "yeah"

a week old, crying:
us: "whats wrong?"
him: "a hair"..
...there was actually a hair on his face!

he has also before a month old said
"hello how are you"
"mummy"

since 6 months he has started saying "egg".
he says "egg" a lot at the moment. I fed him some as requested and he didn't like it.

chipmonkey Fri 17-Dec-10 21:06:57

When ds1 was 4 months old, I said "How are you?" to him and he repeated it back to me! And never said it again!

flinginghasflung Fri 17-Dec-10 21:20:34

My DS said nothing until about 9 months, the he announced "crisps!" in Tesco and hasn't shut up since. DD still at 2.5 doesn't say much, but started in very harsh sentences at about 14 months. "no! Not that one!". "He hit me." "DS did it." that sort of thing.

whoknowswhatthefutureholds Fri 17-Dec-10 21:42:21

DD1 (also no.3) from 4 months has been saying 'hello'. I didn't mention it to the family as I knew they would take the piss.

At a party BIL came back in from the kitchen holding his beer saying 'fuck me, think I've had to much she just said hello to me '

DH and I said not a word, just smiled and gave him a sympathetic look.

Lifebeganat40 Fri 17-Dec-10 23:05:43

My son was un-named for the first week so I used to say "Hello Boy". At just two days a hurrican blew open the windows of the hospital and the curtains up in the air. slightly later he uttered the word "Boy" so loud that the woman in the next bed looked shocked. Oddly we didn't name him Damian.

LolaBellsAllTheWay Fri 17-Dec-10 23:25:20

My DD1 2.3yo said to her sister today "i'm sorry but I will never kiss a frog" her sister 8mo replied with "ssssssssppppppppppprrrrrrrruuuuuugggg" or something similar!

I sense DD1 got the brains but I'm hoping DD2 will prove me wrong!

blondieminx Fri 17-Dec-10 23:37:28

loving this thread!

DD aged about 10 weeks was babbling and making noises similar to some names of Arsenal players which amused her dad no end!

Aged almost 11 months she now says ngooo nnngoooh a lot... thanks to this thread I now know she wants chocolate mousse wink

sockmonkey Sat 18-Dec-10 08:35:36

DD is actually a seriel confesser. She is 10m and fairly regularly says "I Diddit". Funny cos her brothers often blame stuff on her.

CamperFan Sat 18-Dec-10 11:20:15

DS2 is 7 weeks. According to DS1 who has just turned 4, he has already said 3 words. The first of which was "banana", said at a tender 7 days old grin

edam Sun 19-Dec-10 10:51:46

ds's first word that wasn't babble came at about six months, so not as prodigious as some here. But we were reading a board book about a piggy to him at the time, and he did say 'sausages' very clearly. grin

I thought I was going mad when I went into DS3 one night when he was five weeks old and said 'what's wrong, little man?' and he quite clearly replied 'hungry!'. And he was.

Mind you, we're back to 'agoo' and 'alas, alas' when he's cross now (6m).

RunawayRasin Sun 19-Dec-10 12:53:25

I swear to this day that when DS was 3 months old he looked at me and said perfectly clearly "Elvis". I took it as a request and gave him a short rendition of suspicious minds.(which made him grin

drr Sun 19-Dec-10 22:03:31

my eldest's first word was 'radiator' at about 4 months. Then didnt get another word out of him until he was 20 months. Probably peaked too soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now