Toddlers at school performances

(87 Posts)
D0G Tue 30-Nov-10 17:05:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MardyQuickFollowThatStar Tue 30-Nov-10 17:06:31

Settles in and passes round the bear bear bear bear

hairyfairylights Tue 30-Nov-10 17:07:44

You are a bundle of tolerant laughs aren't you. Bah humbug.

D0G Tue 30-Nov-10 17:07:46

SoupDragon Tue 30-Nov-10 17:08:13

I was about to wade in and give you hell on the basis of the thread title but you're right. take them by all means but be prepared to remove them or constantly stuFf them with chocolat buttons to shut them up

MardyQuickFollowThatStar Tue 30-Nov-10 17:09:51

I think opinion will be split. Some agreeing with you, others saying that it would cause more disruption to take toddlers out/why should I miss my kid perform because they have a younger sibling/lighten up. Not awful - a tad controversial possibly.

scurryfunge Tue 30-Nov-10 17:10:34

No one really goes to school plays to see riveting performances - it is about supporting your children when they are in something.

Toddlers are toddlers -that is what they do.

MumInBeds Tue 30-Nov-10 17:10:50

It's a mixed thing, sometimes it is the only way a parent can get to the nativity but it is too much when one or two toddler's are so loud it spoils the whole thing.

DD's school have the performance over two days and ask for volunteers to help (overseen by the fully CRB'd staff) a creche in a classroom so many people watch one day and help the other.

hocuspontas Tue 30-Nov-10 17:11:13

At the beginning of each performance at our infant school the HT politely asks the parents to consider taking their toddlers/babies outside if they become too noisy. It seems to work well.

Cyb Tue 30-Nov-10 17:11:56

My sons school, has 2 performances, an afternoon one when toddlers are encouraged to come and an eveningish one for parents

OR schools can bung on a creche, its not beyond the wit of man

Ragwort Tue 30-Nov-10 17:12:22

Agree - was at a performance recently when a toddler kept on and on talking in a very loud voice about 'needing a poo' - mother looked on indulgently and did nothing; all the school children got the giggles. The whole afternoon was horrendous.

LadyBiscuit Tue 30-Nov-10 17:13:39

I agree with you - I take mine but stuff with chocolate buttons or take him out if he is causing ructions.

I think being aware that your little darling's screams might be disruptive to others' enjoyment is always a good thing

D0G Tue 30-Nov-10 17:15:57

gingernutlover Tue 30-Nov-10 17:16:55

YANBU

some people allow their children (toddlers or older) to behave badly and it sucks.

Goblinchild Tue 30-Nov-10 17:19:35

'No one really goes to school plays to see riveting performances - it is about supporting your children when they are in something.

Toddlers are toddlers -that is what they do.'

What if someone else's child gets upset when they are trying to say their lines and act and some adorable little toddler is allowed to destroy their performance?
All that work and practise and effort and some moppet is screaming through it, or running up and down distracting the audience?

snowplough Tue 30-Nov-10 17:19:48

I think there should be one performance to which pre-schoolers can be taken, and another/others where they are not.YANBU the teachers parents and children work so hard on these productions.
The problem with parents who say 'oh i would lways take him out if he is causing disruption, is that they have ALREADY created disruption before you take them out.

scurryfunge Tue 30-Nov-10 17:21:34

I think screaming children should be removed by the parents but I don't think occasional toddler chatter or moving around is too bad.

spikeycow Tue 30-Nov-10 17:24:45

I want to hear what my children are saying on stage, people should learn some manners or fuck off. And yes I did have to tell a mother to shut her kid up today. Nobody else bothered to even though there were teachers standing on the sides

Goblinchild Tue 30-Nov-10 17:24:46

We had one performance by Y6 when a three year old climbed onto the stage to hug her brother.
Ahh Bless
Except the brother was mortified, and acted the rest of the scene with tears rolling down his face. Mother really didn't understand why I wasn't amused after I'd removed said child and returned her.

Ne11 Tue 30-Nov-10 17:25:09

They're banned at our school!
The Nursery children come and watch and they're no trouble and thoroughly enjoy all the plays.

If the parents object they can buy the DVD and watch that!

Why should all that hard work be ruined by selfish people who can't be --@rsed-- bothered to move?

But don't get me started on the Carol service...

laydeestardust Tue 30-Nov-10 17:33:28

I remember one concert in which a tiny little year 3 child (not mine) was singing a solo which could not be heard above a 2 year old's meltdown. No one's lines could be heard properly either.

The Uber entitled mummy responsible for the toddler refused to leave despite the head teacher trying to appeal to her better nature. No one, including her presumably , could hear anything for about half an hour.

As for the comment
"No one really goes to school plays to see riveting performances" I think that misses the point. Its still very upsetting for the small performers and their teachers who work so hard to prepare their concerts when all their hard work cannot be heard and enjoyed by all the parents due to one selfish individual who truly struggles to understand that there actually are other people in the world other than themselves and their DC.

scurryfunge Tue 30-Nov-10 17:57:13

Screaming toddlers aside, I don't think it really matters if toddlers are present and are chatting or wandering. It really doesn't disrupt little Beyonce that much. It is part of school performances and always will be.

MumInBeds Tue 30-Nov-10 18:03:17

That really worries me laydeestardust my Y3 dd has a solo in the play this year and she is putting her heart and soul into learning her lines and her song.

snowplough Tue 30-Nov-10 18:05:06

Scurryfunger wrote' I don't think it really matters if toddlers are present and are chatting or wandering.'
...and there you have the problem!!

spikeycow Tue 30-Nov-10 18:06:43

Maybe talk to the teachers beforehand then, there needs to be some sort of signs put up and if people ignore they should be asked to leave. Even though it should go without saying but some people are from a different planet

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now