My dc hasn't got starring role - it's so unfair'

(223 Posts)
stoatsrevenge Mon 29-Nov-10 21:49:36

AIBU to be mighty pissed off by the number of threads on this? How many Marys were there in Bethlehem FGS?!

NotAnotherBrick Mon 29-Nov-10 21:50:22

And think yourself lucky! Nagging children to learn lines is a right pain in the arse!

<snurk> I might start one along the lines of "blooming DD has told her teacher Mummy can make anything so now she has the role with the hardest costume - AIBU to be amused and narked in equal amounts"

CrispyTheCrisp Mon 29-Nov-10 21:57:17

My DD netted the role of Angel Gabriel but is now refusing to be in the play <sigh>. Well unless DH does it with her hmmgrin

Hopefully some other child's parent will be pleased that they have been promoted on the Angel ladder.....

Goingspare Mon 29-Nov-10 22:00:46

I was Mary twice - at infants and juniors.

Unfortunately, this has turned out to be the pinnacle of success for me.

Take heart, parents of the overlooked.

DD's teacher was trying to gently prepare me for the fact that DD might bottle her 4 line speaking part on the day - the look of relief on her face when I said I thought it would be a miracle if she didn't, and that I don't give two hoots as long as they don't try too hard to persuade her (at which pointe DD would inevitably hurl herself on the floor howling) was a picture.

carocaro Mon 29-Nov-10 22:04:56

I just can't wait til ds2 starts school in sept 11 as he is so cute and adorable he will definately have the STARING role in the nativity, his name will be up in lights over the school entrance and all the other parents with gasp at his brilliant acting abilities that they will bring the house down and he will appear on the front page of the local paper and be hailed as the next Robert de Nero and be clapped whenever he attends the local swings by all of those in a five mile radius!

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 29-Nov-10 22:05:38

<IWIWMO swaggers in>

DS1 is Joseff (we're in Wales).

School provide the costume.

I'm grin !!

a colleague told me today that he had ructions in his house last night as older DD refused to wear (or even try on) her costume and younger DD refused to accept that she couldn't take over her sister's part, costume and all....grin

Portofino Mon 29-Nov-10 22:09:50

Thank the Lord for secular education! grin

A1980 Mon 29-Nov-10 22:21:03

I was Mary once, at Primary school. We had just moved into the area and I had only been at the school since September that year. I was very happy, as was my mum.

My mother told em when I was older that all the other parents were fucked off and some even complained to the school for giving the part of Mary to a new pupil who'd only been at the school for 5 minutes. Not a wind up!

FFS get lives!

grin

ChickensHaveNoMercyForTurkeys Mon 29-Nov-10 22:22:40

DS2 is the 'starry sky'. He is monumentally pissed off and refusing to wear black leggings grin

FunnysInTheGarden Mon 29-Nov-10 22:22:56

DS1 is a chicken in his nativity. I didn't even know there were chickens in the nativity. But he is very good............

SandStorm Mon 29-Nov-10 22:28:33

I wanted to be Mary at playschool (showing my age) when I was three only to be told that Mary was blonde and I couldn't do it. I now realise what they meant was that the girl who played Mary was actually prettier than me. (Also my best friend so no hard feelings.)

And thus began a career as an angel.

TottWriter Mon 29-Nov-10 22:36:38

[dons flat cap]

Angel - only the pretty girls at my school got to be angels. I was a rag doll in our school's "use santa and a toyworkshop to fill out the entire-school-in-one-play cast list". I dreamed of being an angel one day, let alone Mary.

grin

It's all a load of balls, isn't it. I am determined not to get worked up if the DC (not even at nursery yet!) never get the good parts.

Someone remind me of this in two years time when DS is in receptiopn, eh?

colditz Mon 29-Nov-10 22:39:52

In my first nativity, I threw a tantrum because they tried to make me be an angel and stand up for all of 10 minutes. They let me be a sitting-on-the-floor cow instead.

NonnoMum Mon 29-Nov-10 22:42:04

Dd is Angel 3.

And she is VERY pleased with herself.

And her one line.

MerrilyDefective Mon 29-Nov-10 22:46:07

DS1(20) was given Joseph in year two.
Little bugger refused the part because he wanted to be in a donkey costume with his best friend.
He ended up as the arse end.
Still makes me laugh.

borderslass Mon 29-Nov-10 22:51:30

I was told that only children of parents with money or helped out in school got main parts in nativity for P1/2 by another parent when DD1 [now 19]started school her face was a picture when she got the part of Mary.
DD1 forgot her sweeping brush and dropped the baby grin

mybabywakesupsinging Mon 29-Nov-10 22:55:53

ds` is a camel and has a star moment where he says humph

DingALongCow Mon 29-Nov-10 22:56:46

DD came home and told me she is innkeeper #4. Apparently they got to choose their roles and she desperately wanted to be innkeeper #4 and is very happy that she is not an angel or Mary. Apparently she gets to shout at people and wave her finger around which suits her personality perfectly.

stickylittlefingers Mon 29-Nov-10 22:59:25

dd1 was a mince pie last year. We did a lot of method acting...

But dd2 has got mary-envy big time. She was mulling in the bath what accident or illness might befall the mary so that she could take over. She's 3 fgs! Scary...

dd is in reception and is devastated that she isn't an angel grin
shes a star and 'not even the big shiny important star that points the way mummy'

its my first child in her first school play and i can't wait to see it grin

StayFrosty Mon 29-Nov-10 22:59:57

my dd is camel number 1, she has 3 lines. the play is humph the camel so although insignificant sounding, it is actually quite an important supporting role apparently grin

As someone who never got beyond crowd scenes, I am astonished at the variety of parts on offer here.

PMSL at innkeeper #4 though - that is one seriously over-staffed inn grin

a mince pie? confused

StayFrosty Mon 29-Nov-10 23:01:40

x posts mybabywakesupsinging, omg, maybe we know each other.

muminthecity Mon 29-Nov-10 23:02:23

DD is playing the part of a dancing Teddy bear. I'm just grateful that the teachers and TAs are making the costumes themselves so I don't have to! Am looking forward to seeing what part a dancing Teddy played in the birth of Our Lord grin

feelingfairlyfestive Mon 29-Nov-10 23:06:20

I made the mistake of letting the children choose their own parts. Everyone was happy except one little boy, but as I told him, there are NO vampires in the nativity!

oranges Mon 29-Nov-10 23:12:57

ds says he is a shepherd. the school says it provides the costume which makes me wonder if he is in fact the back end of a pantomine sheep.

oxeye Mon 29-Nov-10 23:15:14

Weird - my DS chose the role of innkeeper too - I comfort myself that the children choose when I get tinsel envy or Ma Joseph gets a tad gloaty grin

Our budget price offering means my little Innkeeper has to do his stuff Three times! On the third time, the all important Stable Line is uttered. He is thrilled. I am gutted I am at work and will miss him sad

YankNCock Mon 29-Nov-10 23:15:49

I was informed by the nursery that DS (15mo) is going to be a reindeer in their christmas thingy. I had no idea this stuff started so early! Now looking for reindeer costumes on ebay, my sewing machine eats things (and I'm not very good either).

Oh oxeye that's sad. Do you have a stand-in to attend in your place and take lots of pictures?

My very favourite thing about plays is watching the faces of all the fathers of the nursery class when they realise that they were made to take the afternoon off work for a 30 second appearance by their little darling in a crowd scene.

stickylittlefingers Mon 29-Nov-10 23:20:36

mrsrhettbutler - yep. I think the teachers must get tired of the normal nativity story after a bit. She had cream on top and a bit of holly and everything. Not a lot of words though, and she did get eaten. You have to suffer for your Art, y'know.

BaroqinAroundTheChristmasTree Mon 29-Nov-10 23:20:45

DS2 is Joseph in the Sunday School Christmas play <<<<Smug>>>>>>> (DS1 is a smug angel and a king, and DS3 an Irish Child).

stickylittlefingers were you responsible for the construction of this amazing-sounding costume?

TmiEdward Mon 29-Nov-10 23:25:40

DS1 is a camel. Not a sniff at the Joeseph role.
AND I'M A TEACHER!

Where's the fecking colleague loyalty eh? Where's the preferential treatment for my little darling?
<stomps off in a huff>

TmiEdward I feel you need to examine your recent actions. Did you use someone else's favourite mug in the staffroom? Use the last of the milk? Otherwise break some unwritten rule? I smell payback at work here...

oxeye Mon 29-Nov-10 23:35:02

Thank you Stealth - yes, we have DH and my Mum and my Dad all coming - just me missing - I would gladly take the day off work for the 5 seconds of glory! <vicariously living out thwarted non glittery nativity life through child emoticon>

Am loving the mince pie getting eaten!

I feel the need to see a video of the whole mince pie (complete with cream, no less) being eaten episode.

Oxeye I can empathise - been there, done that. Is there a dress rehearsal you could attend, by any miracle (I have been forced into that option a couple of times)?

stickylittlefingers Mon 29-Nov-10 23:45:27

you put it like that and it sounds rather horrific...it was very tasteful (not to say tasty... sorry)

Anyway, re costume, I can't take the credit. They did ask for her to have a totally brown outfit, but they added the cream and holly (like a poncho for the cream and a little hat for the holly and berry decoration). I thought they were very clever!

I was so overcome for my own first nativity that I couldn't say my one line and burst into tears. It's not all good having a starring or a staring role (does anyone remember the lost consonants?)

stickylittlefingers Mon 29-Nov-10 23:50:37

couldn't resist

no staring roles, but a few other funnies from the Grauniad...

stickylittlefingers Mon 29-Nov-10 23:54:10

oxeye - I am sorry. I'm lucky they're doing a show first thing, so I'm going to that and going to work late (and leave late) so it doesn't impinge too much. I expect you've considered the possible work arounds... are they doing a dvd (or is that just dd's super keenie school that does that?)

treedelivery Tue 30-Nov-10 00:04:07

DD1 is a The Star. Not a star, The star.

Last year she was a donkey and very very pleased. She insisted on crouching like a donkey confused for the whole 20 mins despite running a temp of 40. For as she rightly pointed out, without that donkey Mary would have been nowhere. Might not be pretty, but that donkey was a big important part of God being born. Where would God have been without that donkey? Hmm? Hmm?

She's a bit let down not to be a donkey this year, but is getting over it by placing heavy accent on The star, not a star mind you...*The* Star. Where would the Very Important wise men have been without that star? How could they have known where the take their important gifts too?...

..and on it goes grin

treedelivery Tue 30-Nov-10 00:06:14

Bummer oxeye sad

I joined PTA to get insider dope on when such events take place, so I can request the day off years in advance. DD2 will probably not get any such treatment hmmgrin.

Joke. I'm sure I will. Sure. Surely?

Timeforanap Tue 30-Nov-10 00:10:07

LOL at Stickylittlefingers' dd's mary envy and muminthecity "looking forward to seeing what part a dancing Teddy played in the birth of Our Lord"!!!

We've scored one 1-liner for DD and the big man himself (FC, obvs) for DS1. DS is VERY proud. I'm hoping school will provide the costume so all I have to worry about is negotiating the crowds and DB not crying or being otherwise noisy. Parents of noisy younger siblings are asked to wait outside!!!

stickylittlefingers Tue 30-Nov-10 00:12:03

treedelivery - dd2 told me that the star led the wise men from a farm. It's an important role and an agricultural one, clearly...

oxeye Tue 30-Nov-10 00:46:08

love the squatting donkey

I have managed to see a rehearsal, not dress mind, but cracking fun none the less smile while I am keen I am not sure I would want a DVD tbh (doubt there is one produced anyway) I feel it is a show that is In The Moment and should be experienced thus...

Good idea re the PTA, next year I shall Try Hearder

mummytoatribe Tue 30-Nov-10 00:54:26

For the parents of Camels.....

The traditional nativity that dd was in when she was 6 (now 13) was lovely and we were both thrilled when she was Mary as I wasnt one of the pretty ones that got to be an angel let alone Mary, I was always a poxy shepherd

Anyway...it was going beautifully until the three wise men came in with their camel and it brought the house down! The two boys in it decided to do a little dance as they entered, and hadnt told the teacher apparantly. They were fantastic, and even now I see them at the senior school gates and think "ooh thats one of the camel boys!"

Mamathulu Tue 30-Nov-10 02:58:18

My DS1 was a camel last year, and had the 3 funniest lines to say, where he was dissing the kings - everyone fell about laughing, and he completely stole the show!
This year, he's been strangely quiet about the show - must ask him tomorrow what's going on with that!

Horopu Tue 30-Nov-10 05:10:50

My ds3 (aged 4) is going to be a leaf! His older brother was having a good laugh at that one. They are doing The Very Hungry Caterpillar. Amazingly I recently dyed a white t shirt and leggings of his leaf green to use up the dye. Hurrah! Now for once I look organised. grin

When DS was 5 he was a candle!! hmm He is now 14 and the memory of being made to wear tights still haunt him!!

ragged Tue 30-Nov-10 05:38:54

6yo DS doesn't even know what role he has in the Xmas play (Bless, apparently they have been rehearsing for weeks). I pestered for ages and he thinks he might be playing an instrument.

Maybe.

------------------

11yo DS has the lead in his school play and he absolutely does.not.want.it. I nearly rang his teacher to question their sanity for casting him, and please tell me they have an understudy for the part? I am dreading going to see the play in case he flakes out (as I expect him to) and sulks off in a strop and ruins the whole thing for everybody. blush

onceamai Tue 30-Nov-10 06:01:27

DS was once cast as a singing christmas decoration. The only time he was ever non-compliant. He was a boy. HE WAS NOT WEARING TIGHTS. DH was sooooooooooooo proud.

goingroundthebend4 Tue 30-Nov-10 06:15:25

wanders in ds has a main part in the play non speaking has a solo song well not with words he is one of the best signers .*preens * not bad for a nan verbal child

Goblinchild Tue 30-Nov-10 06:15:32

Thank you so much for this thread stoatsrevenge I was getting a little weary, but this is a total giggle. smile

goingroundthebend4 Tue 30-Nov-10 06:16:56

non verbal even its

just going to be nice for a change that ds will be taking part last year he was hidden away while all the other dc sang and acted .New school and fantastic attitude

IAPJJLPJ Tue 30-Nov-10 06:17:56

There were a few upset parents from the older years in our school. Last year the key parts were given to all the teachers own children and those that help at the school.

I personally hadn't noticed this (not very observant!!) until it came to my sons key stage play and indeed this seemed to happen again.

My son was just thrilled with the one line he had in his play - and so was I grin

goingroundthebend4 Tue 30-Nov-10 06:18:21

erm is this now a good time to warn the teacher that ds has learnt a few cuss words in signing , can see him addlibbing lol

AFEICA Tue 30-Nov-10 06:50:06

I remember when a --fucking grumpy-- particular Headmistress wouldn't let my DH into the Nativity Play as our DD didn't turn up in her school uniform and made him return home to fetch it. No she didn't wear her uniform in the play but apparently it set the 'tone' for the evening to turn up in it....

Goblinchild Tue 30-Nov-10 06:52:26

'Last year the key parts were given to all the teachers own children and those that help at the school.'

It seems insane that some schools could be so dim. Did they think no one would notice?

Decorhate Tue 30-Nov-10 07:37:19

Ds2 has one of the " big" parts this year. Turns out he has all of two words to say! The narrators do all the talking...

altinkum Tue 30-Nov-10 07:40:21

Ds is a camel, and is very proud that he has someone smelling is poo! hmm

coatgate Tue 30-Nov-10 07:51:11

Well I help out all the time, and have been on the PTA for seven years, and raised loads of money for the school, and my DD has not got a decent part in the Christmas play.[wail].

It was quite hilarious actually - lots of girls cried when the parts were dished out, some parents have written in to complain that their DD was off school on the day of the auditions; there are mutterings of those with the most money have obviously bought their child's part. I am just relieved that I will not have to be nervous all the way through in case DD forgets her lines. She only has four, and I am sure she can manage that.

piscesmoon Tue 30-Nov-10 07:58:28

I was relieved to find that this wasn't another thread of complaint. I pity all the poor DCs like me who wanted to be part of the crowd on the back row and who has a mother who wants their DC in a main part!
My DCs are very self conscious on stage and it never occurred to me that I should want a main part for them.
I must have missed something-not only was I on the PTA -but I filled in with supply teaching and they still didn't get a main part!!!
The DCs auditioned if they wanted a part and they chose the best.
I think that a lot of mothers ought to join amateur dramatics and do it themselves rather than wanting to bask in relected glory from their DCs!

Ormirian Tue 30-Nov-10 08:03:49

ROFL!

DS2 was Joseph in reception. The only one of my DC that ever had a starring role. He sat and kicked his legs in the air, picked his nose and waved at me and his granny the whole time. He was, in fact, brilliant grin

When I was at junior school I cried so much about not getting a role in the nativity that they put me in charge of the lights - a very important role, I was told.

DS1 is a wise man:
King Herald, have you seen the new baby?
Gold for the baby.

DS2 is an angel.

I need to make costumes.

emptyshell Tue 30-Nov-10 08:31:58

We managed to work a Macdonalds drive through bloke into the nativity one year when desperately inserting parts to find something for the entire school to do - was quite impressed by that achievement from a colleague.

Unfortunately said child refused to leave the stage after his moment of stardom and had to be bodily hoiked off by one of the more with-it year 6s who were on stage!

Saggyoldclothcatpuss Tue 30-Nov-10 08:37:08

<<preens>> well I was Gabriel or Mary every year. I'm obviously exceptionally beautiful and talented...
<<small school headmasters pet emoticon>>

I used to know a girl who was utterly distraught the year she was cast as Mary. She was only five and in her house they use Mary as a name for your fanjo!!!!

OneTwoBaubleMySanta Tue 30-Nov-10 08:38:54

DDs nursery, yes nursery!!!, are doing The Nutcracker and I could have cried when I got the request for a snowflake outfit.

Just about managed and am now really looking forward to seeing them try to keep my headstrong 14 month old still on stage and stop eating her costume!

I am in awe, as always, of her nursery workers.

PrettyAwfulGoodGirl Tue 30-Nov-10 08:49:13

You were lucky Becky!
This thread has traumatised me I'll have you all know.grin

Some 30 odd years ago I was given the role of Angel Gabriel.
As my lazy arsed mother could not be bothered to take me to any practices or indeed show interest at all I was eventually demoted.sad
To ....
The stable wall.
Red tights, cardboard box with painted bricks hanging round my neck, no smiles.
Had to watch frickin' Joanna Whalley (oooo, the irony) play my part.
And I still knew most all of the lines.

I have ishyoos. grin grin grin

pallymama Tue 30-Nov-10 08:54:26

Being a head taller than anyone else in my year, I always ended up playing the Angel Gabriel, complete with itchy tinsel halo that you had to keep on for the whole thing!
I still hate tinsel! grin

igivein Tue 30-Nov-10 08:59:53

DS is a king, but he doesn't want to be because he doesn't want to wear a skirt??
He wants to be a zebra instead.
He keeps wandering round the house singing 'Christmas day on the beach boys, Christmas day in the sun' so God knows what sort of surreal treat I'm in for next week!

TeaOneSugar Tue 30-Nov-10 09:05:59

My dd once had the leading role in a nursery nativity, and drew the picture on the front of the programme.

She messed about throught the whole play grin.

Saltire Tue 30-Nov-10 09:11:41

Those who mentioned "Humph the Camel" it is fab, DS1 was a camel in P1 up in Fife,it was greatgrin. Then he played an inkeeper the following year. Then between 2007 and 2009 christmas play parts were filled by the children of the board of gvoernors and the PTAhmm that was in hampshire. Every year same children getting the main parts

CardyMow Tue 30-Nov-10 09:20:09

DS1 has always been the narrator. <<clever little so-and-so able to remember his 100 lots of lines>>.

DS2 has never had a speaking part before...this year he is the shepard that sees the star and HAS a line!!

DD refused through ALL of primary school to do any public speaking, but this year she is in a play at secondary school, so am really looking forward to that, it's only taken till she's in Y8 and nearly 13yo for her to realise that public speaking is not going to kill her!

Rudolphsnose Tue 30-Nov-10 09:37:45

We have a trauma ever year as DD2 and DSD are in the same year. I must be the only parent pleading with the teacher NOT to give either of my children a starring role, the rivalry at home would be unbearable.

So DSD has 5 lines as a child from the USA????? And DD2 is the 'hopeful angel' with 6 lines. DD2 is most annoyed as she wanted to be the donkey

strawberrycake Tue 30-Nov-10 09:39:44

My ds is 6 months and has been invited to be in the play at nursery, 'can he wear white please'. I nearly pissed myself, what will his role be? Newborn lamb? Silk worm?Blob of snow? Or...god no....baby Jesus? He can only say 'dada' 'lala' 'a-la-bla' and 'oi,oi,oi,oi' but does like to join in (loudly) when others sing.

KaraStarbuckThrace Tue 30-Nov-10 09:42:56

My son is bound to be picked for a lead role when he goes to school, he has the face of an angel.

However he will be immediately kicked out of the play on the first rehearsal as he really is a little devil and very unco-operative grin

annbenoli Tue 30-Nov-10 09:43:04

My DS2 is Joseph and is singing a solo. DS1 wasnt given a part then one of the girls who was a dinner lady in the play dropped out and ds2 said to me nows my chance, none of the other boys wanted to be a dinner lady! He has also blagged his way to singing a verse of a song with 3 others! Can't wait to watch them. Nothing ever comes easy to DS1.

nickytwotimes Tue 30-Nov-10 09:46:21

my son is a fucking donkey.

hmm grin

my son (aged 4) is a shepherd. he tells me '[name] has to say 'there is no room at the inn'. So i ask him what he has to say.

In a tone of oh-don't-be-so-bloody-stupid-mother, he replies 'I don't say ANTYHING. i ACT'.

piscesmoon Tue 30-Nov-10 09:55:12

I bet, from a DCs point of view that a donkey is a lot more exciting than Joseph!

icandoit Tue 30-Nov-10 09:56:02

DD2 (reception class) is 'angel no 4'. She's got one line to say. When rehearsals started she refused to speak and would not even stay on the stage. THEN she saw the 'lovely sparkly twinkly costume', learnt her line in one afternoon and now does stay on the stage! It's amazing how a new frock and a bit of bling can influence a gal!smile

nickytwotimes Tue 30-Nov-10 09:56:46

lol at 'i act'!

yeah, ds is happy, but i just see his school career shaping up like mine...
<neveer fitted in emoticon>

StripeyMoon Tue 30-Nov-10 09:56:50

Reception DS was a snowman in a group of snowmen.

Yr1 DS was a present in a group of presents

Yr2 DS is shepherd no3 - with a line! Get in!!

nickytwotimes - literally? hmm - that should be interesting...

LOL at "I act"

icandoit - it is only when faced with the threat that I will only make her costume on Friday if she knows her lines that DD has finally admitted to having lines grin (no bling involved, though).

nickytwotimes Tue 30-Nov-10 10:01:52

hee haw

GrimmaTheNome Tue 30-Nov-10 10:04:13

>my son is a fucking donkey.

goodness. I didn't think primary nativities were supposed to be like Attenborough documentaries.shockgrin

nickytwotimes Tue 30-Nov-10 10:04:59

it's a very progressive school.

chickbean Tue 30-Nov-10 10:05:53

Last year DS1 came home from nursery and said he was going to be a leopard. Luckily I had not made the costume before the letter came home saying "shepherd".

nickytwotimes Tue 30-Nov-10 10:06:53
DanZZZenAroundTheTreeAgain Tue 30-Nov-10 10:10:50

I am organising a nativity play
I know all about this.
I am not doing this again

Gogopops Tue 30-Nov-10 10:12:41

My DS1 had a 'carol singalong' at nursery when they were too young at 2 to act the nativity.
DS did no singing at all. He jumped around all silly and the proceeded to pick his nose and unbeknown to the little girl next to him, wiped bogeys all over her lovely dress.

We have all this on video and are thinking of sending it off to 'Youve been Framed'.
Come to think of it, £250 would be quite handy now. grin

susie100 Tue 30-Nov-10 10:13:14

Much better to be the angel than Mary.
Mary just sits there craddling a doll.
The angle has more lines from memory.

5GoldenFimbos Tue 30-Nov-10 10:14:48

Ds's school theme this year is nursery rhyme themes.

Ds is daddy bear (he is the biggest in his class) whilst his friend (who is the smallest) is baby bear.

My biggest bug bear is the entourage (sorry sp) that turn up for some children. They might only be singing in the very back line but that doesn't stop mum, dad, both grandparents, auntie, uncle, the neighbour 2 doors down, turning up. School has now stopped it by letting families only have 2 tickets but you still find people wangling for the spares! Then there are the video camera harpies who push you out the way to get to film their kid. (allowed to film at ds's school).

Ds will have me and only me as dh is too busy at work.

jugglingjo Tue 30-Nov-10 10:19:06

Sandstorm,

For historical accuracy I'm sure Mary shouldn't really have been blonde !

Yo to the Mum who's proud of her little chicken !!

I love it all, bring it on !

Wondering if i can persuade son ( aged 9 ) to be Joseph at church nativity on Christmas Eve. There are rarely many takers for the main boys roles !

Also we've decided to go down the path of anyone can be anything they like at church, which works surprisingly well.
Usually lots of angels, shepherds, wise-men, and quite a few Mary's !

My children are desperate to be the front and back end of the donkey, but I'm not sure my sewing skills are up to it !

Joyce Grenfell Nativity play monologue
Her play had four wise men and four kings as they had "four lovely crowns and it seemed a shame not to use them!!" grin wink

DanZZZenAroundTheTreeAgain Tue 30-Nov-10 10:30:02

what is really bugging me and I know I risk revealing my true identity here is the mum who comes to every rehearsal and keeps coming up on stage and prodding and pushing her dd to stand in front of the "choir" when they sing songs. "Come and stand here" right in the centre of the front row because there she is most visible and being right where the microphone is most audible. She has the most awful voice, delightful child that she is.

I am going to have to move the microphone to the back or something. It is so bad it is actually unbearable to listen to. It doesn't have to sound polished and great but like that it sounds abysmal. I don't understand why anyone would be that interfering about it tbh. Either organise it yourself or please step back out of it! AIBU?

florilegia Tue 30-Nov-10 10:32:08

My lowest point was definitely being cast as Second Leprous Beggar in the final year of junior school. I had one line, which may have been something to do with my fingers having dropped off... My acting career bit the dust around then!

ShrinkingViolet Tue 30-Nov-10 10:37:40

DD1 was a "child from around the world who celebrates the birth of Jesus" at pre-school - she walked onto stage, saw the sea of faces and burst into tears.

DD3 is "The Cat" in her play - since the auditions she's been method acting The Cat, but having read the script, I have to say it's pretty good casting (she's a know-it-all sarky cat).

DD2's highlight was in Reception when she was an angel, except her halo slipped five minutes in, and no teacher could get to her to sort it out. Since then she's gone for backstage roles bless her.

Housemum Tue 30-Nov-10 10:48:40

Your time may come, DD2 was a pig in the stable last year (why exactly would Jews have been breeding pigs???) but on the day we went she had instant promotion to Mary as Mary had thrown up that morning V happy for us and the other girls' mum as she'd already seen her daughter be Mary the previous day.

My gripe at school was why they always picked the pretty blonde girls for Mary - yep, bet there were blondes a-plenty in BC Middle East...

I had a leading role as the Christmas dragon at my school play - I don't know what it says about my looks as I had to wear a papier mâché dragon head.

My dc's school does a full school show, with each class participating in the story at some point in the play. Some just sing, some have parts, ds is in with the angels, he has mild sn and was completely unwilling to participate, but we have told him he is a weeping angel from Dr Who, so he is quite happy with that - school doesn't mind as long as he participates!

I just let DD get on with it and turn up when the time is right.
she's been a monkey, a chinese girl hmm and a sheep. whatever she is I cry [embarrassed]

GrimmaTheNome Tue 30-Nov-10 10:53:19

Aw, Flori - not even the First Leprous Beggar?sadgrin

That play sounds like a barrel of laughs!

BrandyButterPie Tue 30-Nov-10 11:02:42

I was Mary about four times :D I think it was more because I was the slightly geeky one who they felt sorry for than anything else. Also, I had long blonde hair. I had a slightly alarming ability to memorise whole pages of lines as well.

Doesn't make up for always being THE UGLY SISTER or THE MAN in my drama club plays. Grr. Just cos I couldn't dance.

Lol, so resentment all round, really :D

dilbertina Tue 30-Nov-10 11:15:07

DD is shepherd 4 this year, and not overly thrilled.

DS however is "Jesus" in his nursery nativity. Am not quite sure how this will work. Nor what to dress him in.

As atheist Grandpa pointed out at least it's nativity not Easter play though.

taffetazatyousantaclaus Tue 30-Nov-10 11:22:17

DD(4) angel in the kindergarten production this year. DH can't make it as he's in hospital that day.

She has been practicing her line so hard. Its tough, being an angel.

DS(7) peaked early with a donkey role last year, so our hopes are with DD. Move over Juliet Stephenson.

stillbobbysgirl Tue 30-Nov-10 11:27:21

DS (6) is delighted to be 'village child no.4', and he only has to wear a white shirt and not a white shirt AND a hat like village parent no.4.

hermitcrab Tue 30-Nov-10 11:33:56

DD2(aged 4) is busy practising for her nativity play...but has got a bit confused along the way. She is now scared of Mary, and wants to know why Jesus didn't like Mary and had her head chopped off! DD1 (9) has just done a Tudor play........

asdx2 Tue 30-Nov-10 11:35:17

Dd is a sheep she is delighted grin I think the roles are decided probably on size as the tiny ones get the sheep outfits borrowed from infants.She usually hates being smallest in her class (and the school) but it has saved her from wearing a brown dressing gown and a teatowel on her head for which she is truly grateful.

Notquitegrownup Tue 30-Nov-10 11:44:06

grin You've all cheered up my day. MN at its best! Thank you to all the schools who persist in asking children to dress up as mince pies/camels/innkeepers/kangaroos and provide this wonderful entertainment for those of us whose dcs are now too old to care

(A bit of sympathy for those who are still negotiating their way through it all, but lots of grin grin!)

Notquitegrownup Tue 30-Nov-10 11:46:23

Just discovered the 'Second Leprous Beggar'. Priceless. grin grin grin

toolly Tue 30-Nov-10 11:46:53

In my dim and distant part if you were dark of hair you could be Mary. The flaxen haired children were always angels. In my school it was all down to hair colour.

chippy47 Tue 30-Nov-10 11:56:22

DS1 - Badger last year (?), Some sort of rave dancer this year - wearing his new xmas outfit so 2 birds with one stone. The play usually has some sort of connection with the Nativity - I think.

DownyEmerald Tue 30-Nov-10 11:59:58

My dd (blonde so I assumed would be an angel) is to be a snowflake. I am thrilled, and we're bigging up snowflakes because most of her friends are angels.

She told us the school did the costume and naive first-timer that I am I believed her. She even told us that they tried the costumes on. Friday came back from school with a note saying she needs a white top and leggings in a bag by Monday. Apparently this is to go under the costume!

I never buy her white clothes - I can't see the point. And I was b******** if I was going to go shopping to buy them, especially as my parents were down for the weekend. I managed to send a white t-shirt with stains I can't get out that actually thinking about it now she can't get over her head anymore, and a white vest in case it wasn't ok. And cream tights.

But we are really looking forward to it! She is small though so I must prepare dp for the fact that we probably won't be able to see her behind Whoopsie Daisy Angel (?) and all the other parts!

In his first year at pre-school, ds3 was a lamb. I made him a tunic of curly lamb-like funfur, with ears on a headband, and he wore white tights underneath.

On the day he refused point blank to wear the ears, and then burst into tears as soon as the play started, and dh had to go and sit with him amongst the other lambs (and one mum, whose dd also wouldn't perform without a parent).

Ds3 sobbed throughout most of the performance - he was the saddest little lamb in Bethlehem. Oh, and that year ds2 was Joseph, and dMIL had come to stay in order to see her grandsons' starring roles!

And I am loving the mince pie, the second leprous beggar, and especially the gritty realism of the fucking donkey!! Any chance of a video? grin

BubsMaw Tue 30-Nov-10 12:22:48

DD is a sheep. Bah.

Baaaaaaaah....

At least the school provides the costume.

Housemum Tue 30-Nov-10 12:27:40

StayingDTGIrl - I used to love making costumes, but unfortunately I really can't bring myself to do it when I can pick up one in Sainsburys for £8. DD3 is an angel in the pre-school nativity, she has a very angelic looking costume - creamy white long sleeved long dress and gold wings velcro-ed on the back. I couldn't have made it for that (and would struggle with the time)

TeenageWildlife Tue 30-Nov-10 12:30:30

I was a bit shock to see DD's name on the list as donkey - until she came out ecstatic and informed me she was the WHOLE donkey. Always cried too much to see her anyway.

Mum2Luke Tue 30-Nov-10 12:41:38

My son was Joseph at church nativity last year and we had a real baby! Mum (of baby) was very brave letting a 7 year old hold a 4 month old but she had just been given a bottle and was sound asleep by the time she was handed to Mary.

I'm just glad we didn't decide to have a real donkey with the new carpet!!

jugglingjo Tue 30-Nov-10 12:44:16

I'm with you "Notquitegrownup" this is a great MN thread, and has made me laugh while at home with horrible bad cold ( to back up my case as you don't know who might be on here [] )

Love the second leprous beggar, all the animals,mince pies etc, parts given by hair colour of child, proud Mums, and happy donkeys !

Happy memories of DD1 being a very happy and pretty snowflake BTW !

florilegia Tue 30-Nov-10 12:54:46

The irony was that I never even got to play the leprous beggar on stage: I got flu the week of the nativity play (I'm fairly sure it wasn't psychosomatic! grin) and my friend who was playing Leprous Begagr # 1 (more lines but presumably also more advanced leprosy) had my part consolidated into hers. I was only incidental to the plot... [sniff!]

KayleighKaya Tue 30-Nov-10 13:03:32

My little boy is a star in his school play. It don't matter what they are, Im so chuffed for him and I'm gonna watch and probably cry!

CaveMum Tue 30-Nov-10 13:03:50

Haven't read the thread in full yet, but had to add my own personal nativity experience.

When I was about 5 I was chosen to be Mary. I had the full kit - blue dress, white head scarf, Jesus doll and even got pulled down the church aisle on a donkey on wheels by my Joseph (whose real name was Kevin).

The following year I fully expected to revive my starring role. But no. I was cast as an angel. Not even Gabriel, just one of the background angels. Needless to say the trauma resulted in me turning my back on what would have no doubt been a stellar acting career wink.

If you look at the photos of the second Nativity play (which my mum still has), you can just pick out a VERY sulky angel in the back row grin

PrettyAwfulGoodGirl Tue 30-Nov-10 13:04:58

At least you had a blardy line!
A WALL PEOPLE!!!!

< grumbles off muttering >

grin

At least I was the wall....
That's like the star innit???

No?

MollieO Tue 30-Nov-10 13:09:13

Ds (6) is a cat and has to dance the tango with a dog whilst singing. Obviously nativity plays today are very different to when I was at school. confused

Lots of competition for Mary as the assumption was it would be a big part. In fact it is a non-speaking part!

jugglingjo Tue 30-Nov-10 13:24:48

LOL florilegia !

jugglingjo Tue 30-Nov-10 13:34:59

( Apparently didn't even get to play second leprous beggar, as taken ill with flu, parts of leprous beggars consolidated ! )

MissClavel Tue 30-Nov-10 13:36:30

Dd was Mary in the nursery play last year, with one line. This year, in Reception, she has a more, er, incidental part, but is delighted with her line (sourced directly from Luke's Gospel, I believe): 'Hello! I'm Suzie Sheep.'

Another one absolutely loving these stories btw smile

superparty Tue 30-Nov-10 13:38:21

My DD is very non pleased about the whole school thing never mind the nativity.

So she was well pleased with her role as a donkey with her best (boy) friend, they were both sooooo bored they both lay down on the carpet and fell asleep.

Stardom on the west end awaits me thinks smile

FluffyDonkey Tue 30-Nov-10 13:40:26

Brilliant thread.
I remember being Mary when I was 4. Not sure why I was chosen although I did have long blonde hair!
It was a non-speaking part which suited me fine as I HATED being on stage! Spent the whole time staring at my lap trying to avoid the staring eyes of the nasty dinner lady who was in the front row....

Recovered a few years later and was always given one of the main roles (because I was reliable, learnt my lines and spoke clearly) but never THE main role which always always always went to Sophie. Bit mean I think as she did drama outside of school so really didn't need to be in every play.

Some children never got a speaking role sad

katykoo Tue 30-Nov-10 13:47:36

Ds is, in his own words ' one of those guys who stops people going in..'

I thought he was a bloody bouncer!

nightingale452 Tue 30-Nov-10 13:57:38

I have 2 girls, so you kind of expect Mary or an Angel every year, but strangely enough both have been the innkeeper in their pre-school nativities! DD1, now in year 4, is a snowflake this year, apparently - I'm just glad the school is providing costumes.

I was actually Mary the only time I did a nativity - it was the Christmas after I'd started school, so I must have been 5 I guess. I was told in no uncertain terms I'd been chosen because I'd got the loudest voice! I did have to sing a solo though, I'm still quite proud of that.

babybarrister Tue 30-Nov-10 14:32:50

but what about all of us who were never chosen - perhaps we could organise a nativity play for adults with thousands of Marys, no sheep, a couple of Josephs and a star for anyone who does not want to speak.

could we also get the Innkeeper [who was mentioned on an old post about the worst things DC say] who when Joseph knocked at the door, told him to fuck off?!

EdgarAllenSnow Tue 30-Nov-10 14:37:43

i never had a spoken part. never.

it was fixed. the teachers kid got the lead twice angry

Mammie81 Tue 30-Nov-10 14:42:11

I was the best christmas tree. They picked me from all the other 'tree's and I had to stand there and be merrily decorated.

I hated every minute and in the photos I look like Im about to stamp on the decorations and strangle the teacher with tinsel. Id be happy if my LO didnt have to be 'traumatised' like I so clearly was! wink

kudos to the sleepy donkeys - how laid back shock?

katykoo what is DS, if not a bouncer?

emptyshell Tue 30-Nov-10 14:55:47

BTW - occupational hazards of working in education they didn't tell you about:
1 Nits
2 Worms
3 Tying wet shoelaces when it hasn't been raining (think it through and see point 2)
4 Catching yourself singing Hosanna Rock walking around Tescos and the rest of the world thinking you're mental (apart from all other primary teachers).

Had to laugh a few years ago - had the kids making Christmas story booklets on one of the last days before we broke up to the sound of my (nicked off hubby) Disney's Greatest Hits album. Got this gem describing the life of Mary and Joseph... "Mary and Joseph was a nice couple. Joseph was a carpenter and Mary stayed at home. Sometimes she tidied up a bit"... obviously the rest of the time she sat there watching Jezza Kyle. Just made me crack up with laughter over how the girl in question had phrased it!

snowden1 Tue 30-Nov-10 14:57:57

Darling son has the star role in this years christmas play.

He loves it. He is camp and proud. He loves to shimmy and dance with his big sis.

PrettyAwfulGoodGirl Tue 30-Nov-10 15:00:24
domesticsluttery Tue 30-Nov-10 15:11:18

When I was 10 I had to be a Robin. A bloody Robin. All my friends got to be stars and angels, whereas I had to wear this stupid robin leotard with orange tights.

It was a come down from the wicked step-mother the year before, I can tell you. Now that was a role I could get my teeth into, it had costume changes and everything. And when they put me in prison at the end I got to sing a solo of "Please Release Me" by Englebert Humperdink.

I'm sure I was cast as a robin because the teacher that year thought I'd got too big for my boots didn't like me.

webwiz Tue 30-Nov-10 15:18:56

DS was Joseph when he was in reception, perhaps it was something to do with the fact that I made 24 costumes for the class that year. It was supposed to be me and two other mothers but one who confessed she couldn't actually sew after she's volunteered and another one who hurt her hand and couldn't operate her sewing machinehmm. The only costume I didn't make was the donkey and he got expelled in year 3.

harassedinhertinselpants Tue 30-Nov-10 16:02:20

My dd was an angel last year in her pre-school nativity. The angels did lots of singing so we told her to sing nice and loudly........she sang very loudly! In fact she shouted her way through it, the dvd is hilarious grin.

This year her Year R class aren't doing a nativity, but something called the Selfish Ladybird and dd is to be a ladybird. Unfortunately got a letter home yesterday saying that they're postponing it until the spring term as they've had and continuing to have so many absences due to illness. I'm a bit sad about it.

formerdiva Tue 30-Nov-10 16:32:15

When I was 10 I auditioned for the part of Mary and got it! Oh joy! I had to sing two solos in the church! For two days I was so happy it almost hurt...until the school told me that I wasn't allowed to be Mary any more because THEY COULDN'T FIND A JOSEPH TALL ENOUGH! I was relegated to the Angel bloody Gabriel part (seemingly there are no height restrictions for Angels, only for the Holy Virgin. Grrrrr).

The number of random and (presumably) unintentional nativity-related acts of cruelty leaving life-long scars is astounding.

Teachers, think twice about your casting decisions - and then cancel nativity play altogether

jugglingjo Tue 30-Nov-10 16:56:34

Love the idea that the donkey got expelled in Year 3! LOL !

FlatulantTrousers Tue 30-Nov-10 18:11:13

My 5 year old child has been given the scraping the barrel role of a Roman Soldier (one of many). He has told me he has to march and say "1 2 1 2" and look cross. He is confused however, and tells me he wants to march next to the inn keeper rather than another soldier whom he does not like. I am going to absolutely encourage him to march next to the inn keeper and hope that he decides to come out with one or more of his 'eccentricities' loudly at hopefully several points of this play.

I am also going to teach him to sing "Away In A Manager" as that is how the school have spelled it on their song sheet.

Muhahahahahahahahahaha

OneTwoBaubleMySanta Tue 30-Nov-10 18:35:24

I was always the chuffing Angel Gabriel due to my red hair, clashed horribly with the gold tinsel

CJCregg Tue 30-Nov-10 18:42:44

I remember being an animal of some kind. No speaking part.

DD is a star again.

DS is a Greek waiter.

Yes, a Greek waiter.

FFS.

SandStorm Tue 30-Nov-10 18:50:49

Last year my DD was an alien - complete with those head bopper things. She was quite happy as she sat there trying to knock the little boy next to her off the bench and the stage!

Can't complain though as the year before she was Whoopsadaisy.

WhoKnew2010 Tue 30-Nov-10 19:19:39

laughing 'til I cry esp at the less than polite innkeeper and the expelled donkey.

thank you so much for this thread.

WillowFae Tue 30-Nov-10 19:26:48

DS has worked his way - paid his dues in the bit parts so to speak.

aged 3 - shepherd
aged 4 - innkeeper
aged 5 - elf (they didn't do a nativity)
aged 6 (this year) - King 1 (with a solo line in a song) :D

DD is in her first play and she (aged 3) is a sheep.

Joolyjoolyjoo Tue 30-Nov-10 19:27:59

These are brilliant grin

In our school, it's the same every year- all the P1's are angels, all the p2's are shepherds, all the P3's are stars, and the "main roles" are doled out among the P4's. Since P1, dd2 (now P3) has had her heart set on the role of Mary, when she reaches the dizzy heights of P4. I have been trying to let her down gently ever since, as I know it is hugely unlikely!

If she is anything like me, she will be the narrator in every play, every year, every time. Sigh. I did kick off once (fed up with being the only one without a costume!) and thereafter I got to be a "narrating angel"- a small but worthwhile victory, I felt.

Just when it seemed to be seeping through to DD1 that she was unlikely to ever be Mary, and that being Mary wasn't such great shakes anyway, last year DD2 was chosen to be Mary in her toddler-group nativity. Poor DD1 had to go and watch it, too- I was proud of how graciously she bore seeing her little sis flouncing around in her lovely shiny Mary costume!

DS on the other hand was meant to be a donkey, but point blank refused to wear a costume, any costume, would only go on stage if I stood in the wings, and then started a fight with a shepherd while the angels sang blush Funnily enough, I haven't been asked if he wants a part in this year's nativity...

Lara2 Tue 30-Nov-10 20:10:57

I'm in the middle of rehersing our KS1 play - just spare a thought for the teachers!! Actually it's the highlight of my year - I LOVE it. It's such a scream - we had Baby Jesus' head fall off and one of the angels kicked it off the stage. Angels being sick down the wall during their starring moment was interesting!! And of course I cry every year at every performance! Woose or what???? : )

oxeye Tue 30-Nov-10 20:42:26

oh, here is my Nativity Play Act of Cruelty .... in my primary the nativity play costumes were stacked at the top of the wardrobe and I spent three years looking at the boxes fantasising about which might be mine... the play never changed year on year

until.... my year. The play was changed. It was given an introduction - a child wandering onto stage and "imagining" the nativity which then unfolded

Yes, gentle reader, I was the child. In my school uniform. Not a teeny tiny spot of sodding tinsel. Nada. Bitter? Moi? grin

wayoftheworld Tue 30-Nov-10 20:46:09

My DD is a special angel smile- they had an odd number of children and she did not have a partner, so they have called her special!!grin one day she will understand...

Marne Tue 30-Nov-10 20:47:23

Dd1 is 'child 2' hmm, i think she is a narrator as she has a few lines to learn. Last year she was Mary but had no lines.

Dd2 is a sheep, she just has to sit there which she will find hard, she has Autism and often refusses to go in the hall so it will be a challange for her.

Elibean Tue 30-Nov-10 20:47:55

I've never forgotten being Mary (aged 4) and Joseph wetting himself and refusing to sing with me - must have been the start of all my ishoos with men grin

dd1 loathes being the centre of attention and/or acting, and is mega relieved to be the Narrator. She would rather be nothing than Mary.

dd2 is doing her first Nativity as part of the Nursery chorus singing 'Twinkle twinkle' and holding a star, and is overjoyed about the whole process in theory - but am not convinced she'll stay put once there's an audience!

I was amazed at how many upset kids and parents there were when roles were given out...you'd think it was the Oscars...

spanieleyes Tue 30-Nov-10 20:54:52

I have JUST finished writing the script for the carol concert and everyone in KS2 has a speaking part-at least I think they do! I have checked and double checked and I'm still bound to have missed some poor soul out sadA quick re-write will probably be necessary when I work out who it is!
Now all I have to do is to get them to learn their words, make the props, learn the songs ( in six different languages!) make the costumes and praygrin

stoatsrevenge Tue 30-Nov-10 22:56:42

It's time all those Marys stood up to be counted grin and demanded lines!

I bet she gave Joseph a right good bollocking for not booking a hotel in advance....

KerryMumbles Tue 30-Nov-10 22:57:24

ds2 is santa which i thought was the starring part but ds2 says all he says is ho ho ho

catinthehat2 Tue 30-Nov-10 23:13:09

Can I just say at this point in response to all the narrators and people with rubbish costumes or no costumes at all, that I had the following costume: (you may now go envy)

Angel Gabriel:
Gold halo (other angels had blue ones)
Beautiful white gown, possibly from a small real angel
REAL ANGEL WINGS with feathers like on Christmas cards. At the very least they came from a large swan.

I think the teacher was high up in the Vatican and had access to genuine Biblical outfittery.

Nobody believes I had this. I must have been 8 yrs old but I never had (or saw) a costume like it before or sice

Timeforanap Tue 30-Nov-10 23:22:34

DD was offered Mary in the church toddlers' play aged 2 years old. I had SERIOUS doubts about it, as she was incredibly shy and DS had only just been born. My brother (who is very thespian) told me DD would never forgive me if I turned the role down on her behalf so I let her do it...result? We practised loads at home, she started coming down with a cold on the day, I had to go on stage with her (leaving newborn DS in pew) - it is extremely hard to hide behind a 2 year old. And people are talking about DC being traumatised???!!! The most surreal part of it all was other Mums complimenting me on DDs costume and asking if I'd bought it specially. Huh? DD was wearing an old blue t-shirt of mine with a muslin around her waist and another on her head!

PoppetUK Tue 30-Nov-10 23:34:03

My DS is an Angel and over the bloody moon!!!! He's been asking to be an Angel for years and to go to heaven and we keep telling him he could pretend to be an earth angel. Perhaps this well get the whole Angel thing out of his system.

Really looking forward to seeing him. Both our kids (year 2 and r) are so excited to be part of it all this year.

Liv77 Wed 01-Dec-10 00:01:54

My DS has his first pre-school play tomorrow. They are all snowmen and I think the "play" is them singing a song about snowmen.

If they can even get him to wear the costume I will be mightily impressed, if he actually sings I might just fall off my chair in shock. grin

confuddledDOTcom Wed 01-Dec-10 01:02:10

I had a meeting at church after the service on Sunday and put my head in to see the rehearsal. Father Christmas was there, as was Superman...

My eldest is only 4 so I don't mind that she's part of the crowd, although I don't think I can attend because when I was in the room she stopped singing and dancing! Last year she did a drumming thing with nursery and lay on her drum just tapping her fingers...

Her (CoE) school is doing Peter Pan, but I think they're doing individual plays too. I asked her what she's going to be and she whispered "^Shhh^ I can't tell you it's for childrens." She's also told me this evening that when you have a baby in your tummy you have to go on a donkey so you don't hurt yourself. She's in for a shock because I'm not going anywhere near a donkey in the next 5/6 months!

DanZZZenAroundTheTreeAgain Wed 01-Dec-10 08:25:35

some lovely creative roles in these nativity plays! Hilarious. Love the "alien" for instance. lol

templemaiden Wed 01-Dec-10 09:53:40

DownyEmerald - we used Whoopsie Daisy Angel one year, it's a nice little musical. ANd, IIRC (but don't quote me, it was a few years ago) the snowflakes have a song/dance all of their own so you should be able to see her.

I always wanted to be Mary, but little fat ginger kids in glasses didn't get to be Mary. I did get Gabriel one year though.

My best role was a doctor one year though - in that version of the Nativity play there was a fight between some Roman soldiers and I was called out in an ambulance. My mum knew a guy who was a surgeon so I got to wear a real stethoscope, a real surgeon's mask and hat and I got to inject a Roman soldier with a three foot hypodermic needle and cut his leg off with a saw. It was great.

SnowieBear Wed 01-Dec-10 12:24:32

I was Mary at our pre-school nativity play - non-speaking part, only had to nurse baby and look cute, which in restrospect looking at the photos my mum took I managed to achieve grin. I was probably casted for the role as I was a chatterbox and it was the only way to keep me quiet (nothing to do with being very pale and having long black hair).

DS is in Year R and the teachers are taking a very brave stance with him (he takes after mum in the non-stop chatter department)- he's the compere. As far as I can tell, two lines, one to welcome all the "ladies & gentlemen to our Christmas stories" (notice the plural, there'll be several, he tells me), and one to close the show off. Will he be able to restrain himself and keep to his two lines? Time will tell! He'll also be yelling singing carols. Asked him yesterday about other roles, and he brushed the question away with "mostly they'll be people, mum". Shame, reading your comments I was looking forward to Christmas puddings, reindeers, donkeys, snowflakes and a firmament of bright little stars.

mosschops30 Wed 01-Dec-10 16:16:20

ds1 is a cockeral (yes spelt like that on the tickets/programme)

did they even have fecking cockerels in Bethlehem?
One of the cliquey mums has the dd playing mary suprise suprise!

BarefootBaritone Wed 01-Dec-10 17:30:53

DD still too young for this but I was always narrator - *Every Blimmen Year*. I yearned to be a proper character with a proper costume and all, but no, every year it was....

"And lo Mary and Joseph travelled to Bethlehem on a donkey..."

I'd like to say this was because of my beautifully clear speaking voice, above average reading ability and excellent memory (i swear i had one oncewink) but with the benefit of hindsight it was prob'ly because i was a noisy little baggage whose voice could be heard at the back of the hall! grin

Sigh sad

Jaquelinehyde Wed 01-Dec-10 17:47:28

Last year in reception DD1 was a servant girl - I resisted the temptation to ask 'is it because she is black' grin

This year Yr1 she is part of the chorus and just needs to be in all black thank God.

DS now in reception is a camel.

The bright lights of Hollywood do not appear to be calling as yet.

DD2 however, is apparently an evil Christmas pudding in her pre-school play, but there has been no official notification yet so she is probably trying to make a fool out of me grin

Eddas Wed 01-Dec-10 17:47:54

I was Mary once. Mum told me when I was older that the only reason I was Mary was because i'd been off having my tonsils out and it was a non-speaking partgrin

Dsis was Snow White (ok this is Panto not nativity but still counts) and everyone in her school was unimpressed. She was the new kid and they only did a play every other year and the other girls weren't pleased. dsis also had long blonde hair which didn't match with Snow White.

DD has been given the role of the Landlords cat in the landlords cat play they're doing this year. No idea if it's one of the main parts, but I know some of her friends are unimpressed at merely being narrators. Dd is in y2, the nativity is infants only, y2 take on the main parts and narrators and y1 and yr have lesser roles with no lines. They all get to sing.

Nuttybear Wed 01-Dec-10 17:51:34

No time to read this thread as I've got to prepare an alien costume for tommorow!!!!!
Aliens in a Christmas play! I ask you!

Helenagrace Wed 01-Dec-10 18:14:06

I don't care what part ds has but I am VERY happy that playground alpha mummy's dd is apparently a postbox

This is the woman who grumbled last year that Mary last year was (whisper) a muslim! Yep, what goes around definitely comes back to bite you on the backside.

Metherbumfit Wed 01-Dec-10 18:28:25

Message withdrawn

DwayneDibbley Wed 01-Dec-10 19:06:50

Message withdrawn

DwayneDibbley Wed 01-Dec-10 19:07:39

Message withdrawn

rockinhippy Wed 01-Dec-10 20:05:37

DD is a "calling bird" confused

& think I DEFINITELY need to double check her take on the required stuff for her costume, with her Teacher - if DD gets her way, its going to be more Call Girl, than calling bird shock

pumpkinpoppet Wed 01-Dec-10 20:44:54

Advice needed - DS refuses to dress as an inn keeper with the other 180 (I kid you not) pupils. He insists on being a spaceman. He has no clue about the point or the story, just that he is singing some nice songs. And as far as he's concerned, if he has to dress up, then a spaceman it is.

We were sent a letter asking us to dress our children as inn keepers, but that the alternative could be an angel. So I suggested a spaceman outfit with fairy wings. But no - DS has 'compromised' by adding a cape and crown to the silver jumpsuit - to be a king. When asked the teacher seemed a bit indifferent to the costume choice.

Am I going to get snowballed by the other parents?

pumpkinpoppet Wed 01-Dec-10 20:45:57

Sorry - am hijacking post.

Dysgu Wed 01-Dec-10 22:02:24

DD1 is in her first nativity now she is at pre-school. She was to play Mary -- however, at the first 'rehearsal' she told the teacher she had always wanted 'the best part' - so now she has it and is EXTREMELY happy that she gets to be the donkey! grin She has not stopped talking about it - even when the teacher tried to give us the words for 'Mary' to learn - DD1 reminded her that she wasn't Mary any more because she gets to be the donkey!

Poledra Wed 01-Dec-10 22:07:40

This is a hilarious thread! Mind you, I am a bit shock at all the people saying the teachers' kids get the best parts. My siblings and I never got any speaking parts in primary school productions as we were teachers' brats (and of the teacher who did all the productions). My mother said she couldn't have people saying only her children got chosen, so we didn't get chosen at all sad And it was true of all the other teachers' kids at our school.

rockinhippy Wed 01-Dec-10 23:21:50

pumpkinpoppet

^Advice needed - DS refuses to dress as an inn keeper with the other 180 (I kid you not) pupils. He insists on being a spaceman. He has no clue about the point or the story, just that he is singing some nice songs. And as far as he's concerned, if he has to dress up, then a spaceman it is.

We were sent a letter asking us to dress our children as inn keepers, but that the alternative could be an angel. So I suggested a spaceman outfit with fairy wings. But no - DS has 'compromised' by adding a cape and crown to the silver jumpsuit - to be a king. When asked the teacher seemed a bit indifferent to the costume choice.

Am I going to get snowballed by the other parents^

You could try boxing clever, tell him his spaceman is on a secret space mission, & needs to go in disguise....as an in keeper....or better still come up with something else, with the same costume wink

other than that, IME the decent parents won't worry at all, & will probably see it as sweet - & any that don't aren't worth the effort of worry wink

Thinking back, I remember our friends Son dressing as Spiderman for a Xmas play...he wouldn't wear anything else for months, so it was normal clothes for him, I remember lots of giggles over it, but nothing nasty at all, most thought he was adorable - so don't worry

oxeye Thu 02-Dec-10 00:18:08

Pumpkinpoppet if it's any help my DS will only be a "shepherd king" so he is in a crown carrying a lamb confused nobody seems to care (or maybe I am just very thick skinned/ unaware! grin)

Of course, age may make a difference - this is 4 year olds -if your DS is 13 maybe not....

helenagrace what lovely revenge by the teachers karma grin

..oh and pumpkinpoppet if bribery and blackmail have failed, I would just let DS be a blooming space-king IIWY (I am assuming he is quite young and not, in fact, 13 grin)

JoBo69 Thu 02-Dec-10 12:26:08

When my DD (now 10) was in year 2, she had the starring part of.......wait for it.................

DANNI MINOGUE confused

....in her Church of England School Nativity Play: "The X-Mas Factor"

confused
she was fab (naturally) but the play was genuinely BIZARRE: Mary, Joseph, Baby Annabel Jesus, Louis Walsh, Simon Cowell, 3 kings, shepherds, Sharon Osbourne and Danni!

confused confused confused confused

Madmartigan Thu 02-Dec-10 13:13:54

DS is not quite two. Just caught myself reading this thread thinking "I won't have this problem, DS will obviously get the best parts when he is at school - he is so beautiful and naturally talented." Arf, might need a reality check on myself.

Summerhols Thu 02-Dec-10 14:29:36

I was Mary when I was 5. My mother said she couldn't stop laughing through the whole thing as apparently I was directed to 'rock' baby Jeasus. I took this to the extream and my mum said she would have reported Mary to the social services as I 'rocked' Jeasus so hard I would have given him brain damage. My mum still loves to do an impression of me, I am 32!

londontj Thu 02-Dec-10 16:57:52

I am still traumatised from the year when I was cast as 'Angel Gabriel's star carrier' until the day of the show when Mary was off with tonsilitis. I spent all day out of lessons learning the lines but she rocked up 10 mins before we went on and I was back to silent (and very sulky) star carrying.

Never got over it. I'm also 32.

We3kingsoforientRaahh Thu 02-Dec-10 17:08:50

I love this thread!

Bollox! DD( age 4) just an hour ago produced a soggy crumpled piece of paper from her bag(no idea where it has been til now)- announcing her role is one of the generic cows/sheep/donkeys- and can she wear wear brown/black leggings and t-shirt. Oh, and make ears and a tail. Thanks.

She doesn't have brown or black anything! and i know it is bah humbug, but i do object to buying something she wont wear again...grinCould she be a disney princess cow, do you think?

She is getting very involved with drawing pictures of the Nativity. She asked me this morning if shepherds have earshmmgrin

HalfCaff Thu 02-Dec-10 17:21:33

In reception my ds was in 'The Gigantic Star' She was a cow and the star was indeed GIGANTIC and right in front of her throughout the production! It wasn't worth buying the video...

HalfCaff Thu 02-Dec-10 17:23:22

Meant dd of course. My ds was the sobbing Joseph last year.

AuntyJ Thu 02-Dec-10 17:25:28

DD in Yr 1 announced a few weeks ago that the teachers were deciding who were having the speaking parts - I asked her if she wanted to do it, she said she would if there no other mums and dads there, because she was shy.
So I told her that if that was the case then tell your teacher that you a scared and she will understand.
She got the part of no1 narrator and turned it down flat saying that - her mummy wouldnt let her do it. I was mortified.
She is now content with being a towns person.

Spacehoppa Thu 02-Dec-10 17:43:10

I have a little donkey so she is being trained in 'little donkey' round the clock. She will get it.

jugglingjo Thu 02-Dec-10 19:15:21

Orange sellers Mummy,

Not sure what to dress her in ?

How about taking Nell Gwynn as your inspiration !

I once worked at Nell Gwynn Nursery School in London.

A lovely school, but a slightly unusual role model I thought !

HGsells Thu 02-Dec-10 21:23:55

This thread is making me laugh, especially all the little ones who insist on donkey role!

DD1(3.5)has bagged the role of Mary this year but she thinks it's the 'singing lady from x factor', must tell her the nativity story....

fightingthezombies Thu 02-Dec-10 21:36:37

Years ago our school production was The Lion,The Witch & The Wardrobe. I was given the part of Mrs Beaver hmm.

DwayneDibbley Thu 02-Dec-10 21:37:29

Message withdrawn

knackered76 Thu 02-Dec-10 21:42:38

My ds (4) is one of the kings. I asked him what he had to do, to which he replied 'guard the treasure' . . . . now that should be interesting when he has to give it up to Jesus My dd (5) is an angel, along with the other 59 children in her year group also being angels grin Boys not so impressed with having to wear long white t-shirts and tinsel!

oxeye Thu 02-Dec-10 21:57:53

Orange Sellers Mummy, I too thought Nell Gwyn grin

My DS when I asked him his lines said "I say the same as Jo did last year" grin

How sad am I

I bought a shepherd and wiseman costume for DS just in case and they had sold out of costumes that fit...

He is a .....villager.....

Well the wiseman costumer will do for a wizards one with a hat instead of a crown.

He is my only DS who just started reception this year and I can't believe the amount of costumes he has already needed this term for various things.

Well he starts drama class in Jan, we'll hopefully get him a part in the pantomine in the Spring term!!!

MissClavel Fri 03-Dec-10 12:34:42

namechange100 my son is also a 'villager', a part that comes with 1 line of narration duty.

He's wearing a shepherd's outfit for it - apparently villagers at the time were also slavishly following the 'teatowels on head teamed with dressing gown' trend. Could your ds wear the shepherd outfit anyway?

readysalted Fri 03-Dec-10 12:55:33

my dd is tinsel in the play some of her friends are baubles grin

oxeye Fri 03-Dec-10 13:42:02

My DS's costume is brown trousers and a red T shirt. No tea towel on head, no dressing gown, I feel strangely cheated
His dressing gown has stars on, he'd be the Night Sky in a twinkle!

Marmalade53 Fri 03-Dec-10 14:09:23

how funny is this thread!

DS is Joseph in the nursery nativity, they had a rehersal yesterday. Mary wouldn't give him a kiss when prompted so he kissed the donkey instead!

mystified76 Fri 03-Dec-10 14:50:26

I may be the only person alive who has been mary and joseph (at different times!!!)

The advantage of going to a single sex primary school and i was the girl with the shortest hair!!

DD1 is child1 in her nativity - she is mightily peed off that she doesn't get a costume, she just has to wear her 'stupid old uniform'

SparklyJules Fri 03-Dec-10 16:42:50

Many moons ago our sunday school used to put on a nativity play and every child would get a part. This meant that one year, my brother who was a little shit troublesome ended up having the role of...

the straw.

He was a bale of straw in the stable!!!!

Oh, how we laughed and laughed. And still do. grin

pagwatch Fri 03-Dec-10 16:59:08

Last year at nursery my DD was Mary

One woman geeted me with
" what role does Paggirl have"
" she is Mary "

" I bloody knew it" she replied, graciously

grin

fadingfast Fri 03-Dec-10 21:07:12

DS is mightily disappointed, for the second year running, not to be an angel. He thinks it is very unfair that all the angels are GIRLS (as well as technically incorrect). He has a desire to wear wings that I fear is never to be satisfied.

He is a narrator and has to wear.....smart school uniform hmm

dAncerandRudolfsMum Fri 03-Dec-10 23:36:18

Well Mary threw a strop in the nativity play today and an angel in a spangly silver ballet dress took over only to have joseph disappear for a cuddle and miss receiving a T-rex from one of the Kings - who is dinosaur mad ... meanwhile my DD1 sang her little heart out as an angel. It was brilliant fun!

pagwatch Fri 03-Dec-10 23:41:53

Ds2 was Joseph once. He dressed as Joseph the first time but regarded having to do it twice as taking the piss so refused. So then Mary did too. They both sat there in their uniforms ignoring everything around then while Mary swung baby Jesus around with obvious indifference.
It was an accidental satire on modern times. We were so proud grin

Timbachick Sat 04-Dec-10 11:01:19

My DS had the role of Joseph in Nursery. That has been the pinnacle of his starring roles. smile. He asked with great indignation - "Myrrh! What's Myrrh then?"

He has also been an angel (he fell off the stage backwards whilst waving his star wand around VERY enthusiastically), a narrator and various odd creations that I never knew existed in Jerusalem 2000 years ago smile

He has loved each play or production he has been in, embraced each part - large or small and thoroughly enjoyed himself - that's what it's about, surely?

Love the stories about the all the dramas, upsets, accidents and enraged parents.

sarahtigh Sat 04-Dec-10 16:44:58

my best part was being the river nile lying on floor waving a blue and green scarf

Greeninkmama Sat 04-Dec-10 18:51:46

I had the star role in every single school play - except for Mary, which went to my admittedly beautifully serene-looking best friend. Both me and my mum have been waiting for my DD to rectify the wrong. This year was her one chance - and she is a traveller. Gutted! The only consolation is that she gets to knock on the inn door AND say a line - unlike her much-disliked schoolmate who has to simply stand alongside. Am now pinning all my hopes on her sister.

nbee84 Sun 05-Dec-10 13:19:45

My nephew was given the part of 'speaker'. My sis was wondering where on earth she was going to get a box big enough and all that faffing about painting it black etc, moaning about these 'new modern' nativity plays, until I pointed out that 'speaker' was probably a 'narrator' - and it was! grin

LeninGrad Sun 05-Dec-10 13:22:42

We are going to our first on Tuesday. It's called 'Born in a Barn' which is spot on. DS1 is a cat, I'll be amazed if he cooperates. Am crossing everything and preparing to ensure my focus is elsewhere if he doesn't, DS2 will be a good decoy.

Jix Sun 05-Dec-10 14:21:00

My son came home a few years ago with a note from the school saying: "In the year's Christmas play, your son will be playing ..."Gravy"..."
This has now become a family joke, that no matter what happens, at least your not the gravy.

celticlassie Sun 05-Dec-10 14:51:13

Lol at Mrs Beaver... grin

I was never Mary, was narrator and Gabriel that I can remember and now recognise that that was because I was a good reader. My serene angelic looking best friend was Mary, (at least twice) something I was narked about at the time but now understand that I don't didn't really have the right temprament for the role...

holidaydreaming Sat 11-Dec-10 22:53:04

Oh my - I think I may have woken the dds laughing so hard.
Florilegia, I misread your post. I read you were cast as second leprous bugger........ such a pity you were a beggar not a bugger!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now