Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to put my son in tights?

(116 Posts)
PavlovtheWitchesCat Mon 01-Nov-10 11:33:18

he is 11 months old, dislikes socks, other than to eat, and so it getting cold toes.

I mentioned the fact that DH and I are putting him in tights (today in fact when I pop out to shops to buy them) to several friends whose opinions ranged from scoffing at the idea to actively telling me it is 'wrong'!

wrong? wtf? surely it is wrong to let him have cold feet?!

It is not like I am going to put him in pink stripey tights, and even then, wtf not?! he is 11 months old.

And now you mention it, why on earth are there no nice masculine coloured tights in the shops? Surely this is not a new idea to me?

<humph>

ethelina Mon 01-Nov-10 11:34:46

YANBU im doing it already with my 7 week old son. its much better than socks.

belgo Mon 01-Nov-10 11:35:01

I'm sure you can get dark grey or navy tights in Asda. That's what my ds wears.

Chil1234 Mon 01-Nov-10 11:35:36

Good luck trying to get tights on an 11 month old child that hates socks....

PavlovtheWitchesCat Mon 01-Nov-10 11:41:10

chil he is fine getting them on, he just does not like keeping them on. Within 5 minutes, he has lost one, at least, or has slimed it with baby spit!

grin I shall let you know!

I just found a site that does boy tights!!!! Tykes Tights it is called! But ver ver ver expensive.

DinosaurRumpus Mon 01-Nov-10 11:42:34

I've got three boys and they all wore tights in the winter when they were small. To be honest, underneath their trousers, you can't tell whether they are wearing socks or tights.
In fact even when they started primary school, if there was an occasion when they were likely to get really cold (outdoor concert in December / sledging etc) they would not object to wearing tights under their trousers / socks!

Ignore your friends - a cold child is an unhappy child!

RedSuedeShoes Mon 01-Nov-10 11:43:44

In the winter I used to send my three year old to nursery with tights under his trousers. 10 years on and he can't get enough of girls hmm so it certainly didn't affect his preferences if that is what these silly mums are getting at!

HeadlessPrinceBilly Mon 01-Nov-10 11:44:07

Since when were tights just for girls? All my boys have worn tights (the youngest is wearing them now), my brother wore them when young, my DH and his brothers had tights as babies, and half the baby boys I know wear tights.

I'm seriously confused by the notion that they are somehow inappropriate. confused

AuntAda Mon 01-Nov-10 11:44:30

In Germany you can get boy's baby tights.

See here

WowOoo Colombia Mon 01-Nov-10 11:45:04

Mine wears navy tights. From John Lewis. Can't get em off at all!

diddl Germany Mon 01-Nov-10 11:46:11

Can´t see a problem with it.

Only annoying thing is it´s an extra layer when it comes to changes.

HeadlessPrinceBilly Mon 01-Nov-10 11:46:31

And I buy grey and black ones from Tesco, and have red and navy ones from Primark. And we have some purple stripy ones and some rainbow ones too.

yanbu. There are people who are shocked by it, but they have vast ishooooos

ThighsWideShitItsAGhost Mon 01-Nov-10 11:47:52

Adopting this style.

Never thought about putting tights on DS, and normally wouldn't as he'd freak, but will from now on when we go to some freezing outdoor event.

Great idea.

DS is wearing tights and he will be 3 in a few months.

(mind you, we live in a cold country and it's normal for boys to wear tights in winter - having said that, ds also wore tights last winter when we were living in London).

No idea where to get them though - I bought all ds' tights abroad last year as I could only find girly tights when I went shopping (with 2 small dc's so to be fair my concentration skills were pretty thin on the ground).

MumInBeds Mon 01-Nov-10 11:49:06

My brother wore tights 30 years ago and my ds wore them 10 years ago, why should they get cold just because they're boys?

pickledbabe Mon 01-Nov-10 11:50:32

I think it's actually a really sensible thing - there seems to be a culture of boys must do this, girls must do this etc.

I don't understnad it. if you're bloody cold, and you can do something about it, then do!

in the 15th century, men's trousers were mostly tight leggings with feet, so they wore tigths as their trousers and they didn't have any problems with their masculinity!

I don't see how it's any different from dressing an 11month old girl in tights.

strawberrycake Mon 01-Nov-10 11:51:36

Good idea! I'm off to get ds some, thanks for the suggestion.

Lots of different tights here - some more expensive than others. They send to the UK for something like £6.

duchesse Mon 01-Nov-10 11:56:43

Loads of people do, I don't see any problem with it whatsoever. Can't see the difference with socks myself. People are weird.

Little boys look cute in tights

PavlovtheWitchesCat Mon 01-Nov-10 12:02:08

really, i was shock that my male friends thought it would be a problem. One in particular though was concerned that we put DDs spare pink sunhat on him when we forgot his at a bbq once (we often did it, just he only saw it this once). I was like hmm at him and told him not to be so ridiculous.

Now, next question...can you get tights, like totes tights, with grippers on the bottom? i prefer him not to wear shoes as much as I can, and we have wooden floors at home.

mousymouse Mon 01-Nov-10 12:04:10

I really like the german colourfull ones that auntada posted. have a few of those as well.
Asda sells plain cream and blue ones.
soo much easier to keep the little ones warm especially in the sling or pushchair where the trousers ride up the leg exposing the goose bumps.

Pav, the gap tights I have have grippers along the bottom (and a bear on the arse come to think of it)

PavlovtheWitchesCat Mon 01-Nov-10 12:11:21

boo oh how cute!!! i am going to go look for them today...er...no...there is no Gap in this place...sad. Oh well Asda it is then!

Mumsnut Mon 01-Nov-10 12:12:09

Polarn o Pyret have bright, colourful tights but they are pricy.

PDR Mon 01-Nov-10 12:13:54

I put my DS in tights all the time - he is 2.5.

I think he looks cute

mousymouse Mon 01-Nov-10 12:14:02
BigTeuchLittleTeuch Mon 01-Nov-10 12:16:07

Both my boys wore tights as babies and still do now when it is cold. Other people have commented on it but, quite frankly, I place their discomfort (on seeing a boy in tights ffs!) many, many leagues below my child's discomfort in being cold grin

When I was wee it was perfectly normal for boys to have tights as well as girls....not sure when girls were awarded exclusivity on cosy knees hmm

Just practice your "you are being so ridiculous I won't even warrant you with an explanation" face for everyone else.

littleducks Mon 01-Nov-10 12:21:42

This is such a contentious issue that a similar thread on last year became the topic of a phone in on 'The Wright Stuff' hmm

I have seen special boys tights in Polarn O pyret (with fire engines on, looked really cool) but to be worn under trousers its probably better to save the money and buy plain navy/black tights

tabouleh Mon 01-Nov-10 12:32:19

YANBU - your DH and others who think that there is something wrong with an 11m old baby boy wearing tights need to get a grip.

This type of thinking is sexist and is at the route of a lot of problems we have with sexism in this country - the fact that we treat DDs and DSs so differently.

Nurture magnifies some small average differences which there are between the sexes.

People need to realise that there are much greater variations between members of the same sex than the small average difference between the two sexes.

Let's start treating DCs as individuals rather than as stereotypes.

I am reading Pink Brain Blue Brain at the moment and the Feminist Book Club this month is Delusions of Gender.

See www.pinkstinks.co.uk/ - for how this effects girls - (and no it doesn't advocate "banning pink" - it is about the "culture of pink").

For those of you who think I am being overly-dramatic about this:

Go and read The Equality Illusion - we do not have Equality in this world - and we certainly will not have equality whilst this attitide of "boys/girls can/can't/should/shouldn't do XYZ".

staranise Mon 01-Nov-10 12:34:29

Boys in Spain all wear tights. I can't even believe people would object.

mousymouse Mon 01-Nov-10 12:44:05

just came back from shopping, John Lewis does non-pink colourfull tights as well.

ThighsWideShitItsAGhost Mon 01-Nov-10 12:45:45

Lidls have childrens thermal tights coming in, on 8th november. Ages 1 - 6 years. Just had my leaflet thru the door, the coincidence.

CreeperSutherland Mon 01-Nov-10 12:49:50

Mine do all the time.
DH was a bit hmm at first, the chump.

I buy grey, red or black ones when I see them, but I'll put "girly" ones on if I can't find any.
DS1 wears DDs old school tights.

Vine Mon 01-Nov-10 12:51:46

YANBU, both my DSs wear tights but we call them long johns.smile

icantbelieveimnotbitter Mon 01-Nov-10 12:52:23

babies wear tights in winter to keep them warm. Their sex is irrelevant, and anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot.

<gavel>

smile

mumbar Mon 01-Nov-10 13:01:00

YANBU, My then 5yo DS borrowed a pair of my friend DD's pink spotty tights last year when they went sledging!! He actually chose those ones over the navy/ black and white ones hmm

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 01-Nov-10 13:08:48

put him in tights, i often did with dc boys, as keeps them warm and tbh no one knows or should even care what they wear under their clothes

plupervert Mon 01-Nov-10 13:32:57

There have been millions of these boys in tights threads, and I always come on to say YANBU - tights are brilliant for the winter!

Matalan, John Lewis, Mothercare (occasionally) do neutral-coloured tights. It is a bit of a pain to find a "set" of two neutral coloured tights in Mothercare, but it can be done. Anyway, dark pink (think cerise) is quite lovely for a boy in the autumn, teamed with a pair of brown cord trousers!

I find Sainsbury's ones bobble and are not worth the money!

HTH!

nevercansaygoodbye Mon 01-Nov-10 13:37:21

I put my ds in tights until he was 2/3 -navy ones, black ones and really fab red and white stripy ones..my normally v rational dh was NOT keen but they are as everyone has said a much better choice than socks and so so cute, like mini-tudor hose

5DollarShake Mon 01-Nov-10 13:40:20

I saw some blue and beige (default boys colours...!) in Boots yesterday.

Diziet Mon 01-Nov-10 13:48:37

I have 2 DSs, we've always done the tights-under-trousers thing, though the eldest is now 5 and I think if we get another winter like last year I'll just get him some thermal longjohns for under his school trousers - you don't know what other folk tell their kids sad and I don't want him to be picked on.
Definitely still going to do it with DS2 though, for as long as I can get away with it!
My DH thinks it's a great idea and when he goes to football in the winter he often steals a pair of mine to wear under thermals & jeans etc to keep extra cosy!
I think they look cute. When I first took the DC to playgroup with them on and had to do a nappy change, I got a few comments but they were mostly good-natured. It makes them look like little ballet dancers!!

plupervert Mon 01-Nov-10 14:03:51

I've got a pair of Thomas the Tank Engine tights for DS this winter.

<preen, preen>

DinosaurRumpus Mon 01-Nov-10 14:13:37

Where did you find those plupervert?
Do tell!!

FindingGuysMojo Mon 01-Nov-10 14:14:49

I hear you OP!!

messylittlemonkey Mon 01-Nov-10 14:19:35

I have an alternative for what it's worth.

I have two DDs so no worries about tights anyway but when my 7mo DD wears socks, I use a pair of those very soft, leather soled 'shoes' when we go out - these were given to me by a friend and do keep the socks in place.

I have always steered clear of shoes for babies, DD1 didn't wear shoes until she was walking, but the ones I'm talking about are incredibly soft. Also have the advantage of adding an extra layer of warmth.

Rannaldini Mon 01-Nov-10 14:21:28

don't do it
people will think he is a gay baby

mixedraceparents Mon 01-Nov-10 14:22:27

I have tights for my nearly 2 year old but in my defence hes quite thin and feels the cold. I put up with a week's worth of tantrums when the weather turned cold (he's never had them before) then bought him some black ones and he's been fine ever since wink

messylittlemonkey Mon 01-Nov-10 14:24:10

I'm guessing that's a joke, Rannaldini? confused

YANBU I used to put DS1 in tights, got a pack with red and navy from matalan.

Haven't put them on DS2 though his Grandma who is German offered to pick a load up on her next trip over there as its quite common for boys to wear tights over there.

DegreesCelcius Mon 01-Nov-10 14:25:45

The main point is that the child is warm...it shouldn't matter what sex they are.

I have a bil who was an undertaker and he always wore tights under his uniform in the winter to keep warm especially at burials!

Rannaldini Mon 01-Nov-10 14:25:47

nope

the joke is that some people would question what children wear to keep warm

plupervert Mon 01-Nov-10 14:26:04

Croatia, DinosaurRumpus: a place where they are very homophobic, yet make "boy tights" because It Makes Sense.

messylittlemonkey Mon 01-Nov-10 14:28:55

True, Rannaldini, but so what if someone questions it? Some people's opinions aren't worth worrying about.

reallytired England Mon 01-Nov-10 14:33:49

I think it would be hard to persaude my son to wear tights as he is eight years old.

However putting a baby boy in tights is fair enough. I wish I had done that with my son. It would have saved a few lost socks.

Hullygully Mon 01-Nov-10 14:37:11

He will be warped.

And very possibly a danger to others.

Rannaldini Mon 01-Nov-10 14:39:31

lol hully

I've put all my Ds's in tights when they were babies/toddlers. DS3 has some fab ones from H&M that have cars on them. Last year H&M also did brown and black stripey ones and a few other darker colours.
It is soooo practical when it's cold that I wouldn't actually give a shi*t if anyone commented, not that anyone ever has.

Of course YANBU but your friends comments are the tip of the iceberg.

My DS (19*months*) was admiringly following a little girl around the park last week who had a canvas bag with an upsy daisy on it. I said to the mother of the little girl something like "oh he loves bags and he loves upsy daisy" and she said "well I hope he grows out of it soon, that would be very difficult!" with a completely straight face. Made me very shock!

chipmonkey Mon 01-Nov-10 14:44:05

If you go to ebay.de and search for Babystrumpfhose there are loads.

Hully, you trying to get on Matthew Wright again?grin

MumNWLondon Mon 01-Nov-10 15:01:25

i am going to get some for ds2 aged 6 months. imo ok up to reception. ds1 still likes tights in the winter under school trousers but i told him he's now too big and will have to suffer with cold legs. confused

pickledbabe Mon 01-Nov-10 15:11:17

here's a good website

I just don't understand why the fuss - from anyone.

As posters have said - in colder countries, men wear tights.
It makes sense.
leggings and trousers, even long johns, don't vut it - because you always get that gap between leggings and socks.

pickledbabe Mon 01-Nov-10 15:11:30

cut it, not vut it...

pickledbabe Mon 01-Nov-10 15:12:52

MumNWLondon - that doesn't make any sense, though.
why should he suffer cold legs, when you wouldn't do that to a girl the same age?

mumeeee Mon 01-Nov-10 15:15:10

YANBU. Wehn I worked in a nusery quite a few parents put there baby boys and toddlers in tights.

cheesesarnie Mon 01-Nov-10 15:17:52

yanbu.i used to with both ds's.common sense imo.its cold,they dont keep socks on etc.

samay Mon 01-Nov-10 15:19:19

Message withdrawn

samay Mon 01-Nov-10 15:21:10

Message withdrawn

mamadiva Mon 01-Nov-10 15:22:26

I would have put DS in tights if he did'nt like socks but luckily we never had that with him.

Now he's 4 and we put thermal long john's on him in colder weather and layer them up as I think DP would take a freaky .

wouldliketoknow Mon 01-Nov-10 15:22:50

mine is 6 mo, i'll do the same if he starts pulling his socks.

maybe we should start a mn campaing: let the boys be warmed!

MumNWLondon Mon 01-Nov-10 15:25:34

I know doesn't make sense.

I have loads of 6-12 month tights from DD but am now buying DS2 new tights as all the ones i have are too girlie BTW John Lewis do plain navy tights for all ages including babies.

DD wears tights and leggings (and skirt) to school in the winter, they are not allowed to wear trousers. Last year DS1 was in nursery he wore DD's too small navy school tights under his trousers. But not sure now he is at school not nursery, worried he'll get teased.

SeriousWispaHabit Mon 01-Nov-10 15:28:19

If you look at baby photos from the 70s/80s you can't often tell the sex of babies and toddlers from the clothes they are wearing. They just had 'baby clothes' a lot of the time.

Tights are fine on girls and boys.

snugglejunkie Mon 01-Nov-10 15:30:47

Fab idea. Don't know why it hadn't occured to me. And I think I'll also get some pink stripy ones for my DS for shits & giggles.

Firawla Mon 01-Nov-10 15:34:27

i don't think there is anything wrong with it, i might just copy your idea as it is quite cold these days, so could be worth getting some tights in for my 10 months boy, im sure i have seen colours like navy and cream tights around??

Psammead Mon 01-Nov-10 15:35:23

shock

You are all ignoring a very important medical risk. Boys are physically not the same as girls and by putting them in tights you are exposing them to the very serious disease known as The Gay.

Rough-house with your baby immediately to reduce risk of infection. You will only have Yourself to Blame otherwise.

grin

Boys here (Germany) wear tights as a rule. Not sure I understand why someone would object.

diddl Germany Mon 01-Nov-10 15:37:14

Psammead

I´m also in Germany & tend to find children here often overdressed tbh.

Psammead Mon 01-Nov-10 15:46:01

Yes.p diddl I bloody HATE it. I also don't know how the babies can stand it. DD sweats and howls when she is in anything more than a jacket and trousers. I see babies on a regular basis here, fully dressed, in a snowsuit with hood up and a wooly hat under that, and in a footmuff in a pram.

I get comments all the time that I should put more clothes on DD, but she would die, really. I really don't get how those babies sit there quite happily.

diddl Germany Mon 01-Nov-10 15:59:41

Well you´re supposed to dress thenm the same as yourself, aren´t you-only when very tiny I think that an extra layer is recommended.

I mean it does get cold here, but sheesh, all thouse layers for a 10 min journey to kindergarten & then spending the day there in just tights & tops!

This was after taking a snowsuit & trousers off!

For me the idea of the snowsuit was that you could dress "normally" underneath!

plupervert Mon 01-Nov-10 16:12:47

It's worth considering that babies sit in their prams, not moving, while the adult pushing is likely to be warmed up from the exercise! Also, babies are so little, they haven't got the big core of fat heat that a grown person has.

krisskross Mon 01-Nov-10 16:15:06

my son wore tights till he was 2, as threw socks off. amazing how many people commented on it- given that they were gender neutral colourwise. Do it! Better than old ladies telling you off because he doesnt have socks on (and of course better than cold feet!).

diddl Germany Mon 01-Nov-10 16:17:11

Yes, but when small they usually have blankets & when older a cosytoes type thing when in a pram/buggy.

jeee Mon 01-Nov-10 16:20:07

How can anybody tell? I assume they're wearing something ovre the tights? I doubt if anybody even noticed my DS wearing them - and I didn't think it was important enough to mention.

AlwaysbeOpralFruitstome Mon 01-Nov-10 16:38:16

Lunacy not to put boys in tights in cold weather! Still there's nowt queer as folk - when I had DS1 I went into M&S to buy some tights for him and asked an assistant where they were and did they have them in navy or red. On realising that I was going to put A BOY in them (horrors!) she gave me lecture about how they are not designed for boys and the seam would hurt his winkle (What? Through his nappy and a vest??hmm) and would may cause him infection blah, blah. Loon.

His winkle is fine. He has picked out his future wife (although he's 5 so that's probably subject to change) so probably not a poofter (who cares if they are anyway?) and the tights have just last week been extracted from storage for DS3.

allhallowsandwine Mon 01-Nov-10 16:40:25

they are selling boys thermal tights in lidle from mon 8th they look ok. I would

thanksamillion Mon 01-Nov-10 19:13:30

I've got Spiderman ones for DS. (Also overseas somewhere that's very cold in winter where people would think I was mad not to dress him in them).

thefinerthingsinlife Mon 01-Nov-10 19:22:40

My ds is also 11 months and in tights, I couldn't care less if people scoff, as long as my baby has warm toes he's happy and so am I

PavlovtheWitchesCat Mon 01-Nov-10 20:01:25

I am very pleased that the general consensus agrees with me grin

Of course, i am putting him in tights regardless of what my friends think, i just wondered why on earth they thought it odd! And clearly, they are indeed Odd!

DH said this evening that he would prefer not pink, but if that is all we could get, then pink he gets! This is because I went to buy some while spending too much in sainsbos toy sale shopping this evening, but they only had pink sparkly ones so I shall try Asda tomorrow before getting the sparkles! grin

PavlovtheWitchesCat Mon 01-Nov-10 20:02:08

when DD was young, through the winter (6 months +) we used to just put a sleepsuit on her under her clothes, thinking about it.

isoldeone Mon 01-Nov-10 20:02:21

Zara sells grey tights for boys and girls. So do h& m both stores have just been launched online. My son wears them under jeans. I dressed him navy leggings when he was younger( navy and stripy) he looked like a little cyclist!

littleducks Mon 01-Nov-10 20:06:11

I saw that lidl will be doing www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/SID-84C0678B-3F4F67CC/ lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_15178.htm boys tights soon, no it must be catching on to have cool designs here too

PavlovtheWitchesCat Mon 01-Nov-10 20:11:15

oh I am off to H&M and Zara which is right next to it! tomorrow of course, will be closed now wink I did not see any when in H&M last week but was not exactly looking as not considered they would sell them.

dobbyssocks Mon 01-Nov-10 20:18:04

Both my ds's have worn tights in the winter as an extra layer under their jeans. Can't see the problem! Ds1 is 5 this year so not sure how keen he'll be but if its as cold as last year he's not getting a choice! They've got black / navy tights for girls in Asda/Tesco/Mothercare/John Lewis so I just buy those.

mablitz Mon 01-Nov-10 20:30:52

My DS wore tights in the winter when he was a toddler, he's 12 now. He loves thermal vests in the winter, they look a bit like a T-shirt, but the other day he came home from school without it on, apparently somebody noticed it under his polo shirt and he was teased for wearing a vest! I'm going to cut a V neck in it now, I told him if they want to make fun of his underwear do they want to see what he has on underneath I would rather him be warm than worry about other peoples opinions.

My boys have always worn tights. I also got these for DS2 on warmer days, stay on better than socks.

PavlovtheWitchesCat Mon 01-Nov-10 20:35:03

oh i love those! DH and I were talking about shoes/socks like this just the other day when we were going to the beach as DS is crawling/cruising but not quite walking so not really good for shoes yet, and needs grip on grass, sand etc.

FAB I am getting some of those!

Dolanette Mon 01-Nov-10 20:37:44

My DS wore tights as a toddler, got them in Lidl. Boys tights are also available in H&M, blue ones with bear or dog and trucks boys stuff etc! They were especially handy when we went to Disney land Paris and it was very cold there. Have cute pics of him wearing them. smile

Chatelaine Mon 01-Nov-10 20:39:49

Very sensible for toddlers, think of them as leggings rather than tights smile

preghead Mon 01-Nov-10 20:52:08

All my 3 boys wear them, even the 5 y old wore last winter skiing and bonfire night. I grew up in Europe and my brother wore them then when little 20 plus years ago. It is normal in Europe. I recently got some nice ones from h and m and pumpkin patch for my newborn in non pink colours. Pumpkin patch have some nice black and grey stripy ones. In h and m you normally have to look in the girl section with the frilly socks but they have white, navy etc. My newborn had the White ones on today, looked so cute on his skinny little chicken legs!

Dont get me started in the whole pink gender bullshit, it drives me insane. I always cite the abomination that is the pink "girl" globe in ELC as evidence of how wrong it all is.

anonymosity Mon 01-Nov-10 20:54:12

I put navy tights on my son (under his trousers) last winter and the winter before because it was so cold. Now that he's started preschool I don't (mainly because my mother told me I had to stop at this age).

methsdrinker Mon 01-Nov-10 21:36:29

If you go on any building site in the winter and have a rummage you will find lots of rufty tufty hard hatted men types wear tights.
It keeps them warm. Probaly doesn't do much for their sperm count but at least the little darlings are warm.

Maybe at 11 months he is to young to climb scafolding and juggle spanners and so won't look manly enough for the warm office sit at your desk types, but for any proper worker tights are a god send.

They are not tights when boys are wearing them.

They are <ahem> sports leggings

fruitstick Mon 01-Nov-10 21:49:09

DS2 wore tights all last winter. DH and the rest of my family were hmm but he was toasty warm when we had all the cold and snow.

baby gap did some great unisex ones. brown, red and brown,red & white stripes.

YANBU - I got some red and navy ones in M&S a couple of years ago for my DS he would never keep socks on - now DD is wearing them. They looked like a pretty standard two pack - maybe near the school uniforms in 12-18 mths so I am sure they would still stock them.

blackeyedsusan England Mon 01-Nov-10 22:01:26

none of the boys at parents and tots wear tights, except ds. we put socks with grippers on on top, the tights make it a lot harder to get the socks off especially if they are quite long socks covered with trousers. i can't abide the cold so why should ds? glad to hear so many do it, just thought i was a bit unusual.

lazylula Mon 01-Nov-10 22:01:55

I am now wishing I had thought of tights on my ds2 last year, cross with myself that I never thought of it!

moajab Mon 01-Nov-10 22:49:37

All of my DSs have worn tights during their first winter. It was accidental to start with as I bought what i thought were navy blue socks and they turned out to be tights! But as he would never keep his socks and soft shoes on those tights turned out to be very useful! I've always bought them in blue, red or white and I think they look really cute on a toddler! But when we were out and about they always had trousers over the top so i don't suppose anyone realised they were wearing them! In my experience babies of 6 - 18 months never keep socks on, so tights are fantastic - it's so funny watching them try to pull them off!

katiepotatie Mon 01-Nov-10 22:55:05

ds now 18 months is wearing them again this winter. Who cares as long as he is warm! He's wearing his sisters hand me downs grin

NigellaTufnel Mon 01-Nov-10 23:06:39

Gap tights are lovely and you can get them online.

colditz Mon 01-Nov-10 23:09:13

I always did this with mine.

edam Mon 01-Nov-10 23:14:09

I used to do this when ds was small, seems sensible to me. Haven't done it for a while but persuaded him to wear tights this weekend for a Halloween party (very thin costume and party held in house and garden with patio doors wide open all night) and yesterday for trick or treating.

Was very glad to find a pair of age 6 to 7 tights in his drawer - dh's habit of buying clothes several sizes too big for him finally comes in handy after years of irritating the hell out of me!

mousymouse Thu 04-Nov-10 11:39:42

when in germany I always get told that my children are not dressed appropriately...people there just can't fathom that kids can get too warm and my babies would just scream the place down.

My 6yr old DS wears tights if we're outside all day in the cold - he knew his daddy wore thermal leggings under jeans for working outside so we originally told him they were kids long johns. Now he can read he's well aware they're tights but doesn't seem at all bothered.

aaah remembers the little fella getting dressed by himself to go out - tights on but no pants - very attractive darling now go and put some pants on !!

preghead Thu 04-Nov-10 14:12:11

Ha ha today I put 2 week olds tights on and forgot to put the nappy on first! Luckily noticed before school run.

They've got some bright red baby tights in mothercare at the moment

gothelen Thu 04-Nov-10 15:03:20

I put tights on DS (now 2) every winter he's been alive. He's recently decided that he doesn't like it when his trouser ankles and socks don't meet when he's sat in his car seat so I need to get my backside in gear and sort some new ones for him!

DH did have a meh face on him about it in the first place hmm but we all told him to grow up FFS and he has! grin

thereisalightanditnevergoesout Thu 04-Nov-10 15:14:21

I put my DS in them when he was younger - and I will put DS2 in them when he's born. It's fairly normal, in places like Germany, to find boys in tights (I used to to live here - I'm not just making it up).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now