ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

to be bored with myself and to want to become a Jilly Cooper character for the winter?

(793 Posts)
BalloonSlayer Wed 13-Oct-10 12:32:43

I want to sit in front of a fire of apple logs, wearing only a Dark Blue towel.

I want a rosy-cheeked face which I have to tone down with green foundation, instead of looking like a corpse unless I put on loads of blusher.

I want to drink three quarters of a bottle of Moet before doing ANYTHING. (Including: getting up in the morning or taking an important exam.)

I want an Absolutely Filthy Mini instead of a people carrier.

I want DH to do thumb exercises so that the ball of his thumb becomes pudgy because apparently that's sexy or something hmm.

I want to lose loads and loads of weight every time I am a bit sad about something, so that everyone who thought I was a minger before is suddenly struck by my beauty, instead of eating cakes to cheer myself up and getting fatter.

AIBU?

Beyond excited to hear that Jilly is releasing a new book and RCB is back!!

JoelyB Wed 09-Dec-15 00:14:44

I'm not awfully happy with Audrey Pig-West.
I think I'll adapt to Mother's first name, School house hyphenated with dog's name. Feel free to adopt if it suits you better.
Yours, Clarissa Clarendon-Morse. x

MizK Tue 08-Dec-15 23:55:31

I love my new name, Eileen Edwards-Irwin. Possibly a batshit older lady who swig gin from morning to night and has lipstick on her teeth and lots of incontinent little dogs. So The Dream, really.

Am rereading TMWMHJ and it's a perfect Christmas read. I love her ability to create cosiness and comfort; her descriptions of interiors, gardens and meals are perfect. She's an amazing woman IMO.

JoelyB Tue 08-Dec-15 23:55:29

I read 'Polo' shortly before going out to groom in Florida, and actually sat squeaking with excitement in Cobblestones (which was real) with my fellow grooms!

PoppieD Tue 08-Dec-15 23:48:20

Ooh love JC! Always wanted to be Perdita with her effortless control of huge steeds and looking fabulous in anything- even when sick as a dog from the champagne hangovers!!

JoelyB Tue 08-Dec-15 23:43:06

I've just found this thread and am overjoyed. I wanted to be Taggy but am old enough now to be her granny!
However I do have a Taggy daughter and a Perdita type daughter (though not conceived via an orgy with RCB I fear)
What a joy dear Jilly is.
(although I drew the line at Wicked, can't be doing with that weird kid and teacher stuff, sadly.)

Stratter5 Fri 06-Nov-15 23:47:34

Good Lord, this means I've been here over 5 years shock

tiredvommachine Fri 06-Nov-15 23:02:01

<Eats the last leftover roast potato>

KenDoddsDadsDog Fri 06-Nov-15 22:40:21

I'm going to be Tory wolfing cornflakes with double cream .

backtowork2015 Fri 06-Nov-15 22:25:40

Thats Crashing at my rib cage! Ceashing?

backtowork2015 Fri 06-Nov-15 22:24:22

I would have to be Podge the groom, being led into the wooded glade to be photographed nude by Rupert Campbell Black with my heart ceashing against my rib cage as he gazed at my glorious breasts...full and sloping downwards (bit wierd phraseology but still floats my boat!)

MmeGuillotine Fri 06-Nov-15 22:12:46

'Everything I know about sex, I learned from Coma' has a great ring to it. ;)

Stratter5 Fri 06-Nov-15 22:12:15

Ohh, I became me on this thread <wistful>

KenDoddsDadsDog Fri 06-Nov-15 22:09:36

I love Jilly !

pandarific Fri 06-Nov-15 22:06:41

Is there ever an exotic foreigner? I could be an exotic foreigner...

Hallo , Isabel Greenfield Pembroke here
( slightly made up so it's the previous previous roads , as we live in Wales now and Isabel Y Gloch Abergorlech doesn't have much of a ring to it )
Love Jilly , off to load the dish washing machine , write myself a shopping list with turquoise ink and paint my fingernails as its easier than cleaning them

FindoGask Fri 06-Nov-15 21:51:46

"My favourite was Imogen, Findo. "

I loved that too - but I read it much later, after most of the Rutshire chronicles, so it didn't have the same impact on me as it would if I'd found it earlier!

I don't know if Jilly is still writing. I hope she's working on something.

Mme Guillotine - I tell people very similar, although my mum didn't have Flowers In the Attic, which is probably for the best. She did have a lot of dodgy and medical thrillers though, like Coma and Brain.

dementedma Fri 06-Nov-15 21:40:37

Frances Bath- Burnbank!

MmeGuillotine Fri 06-Nov-15 21:36:38

Oh God, I LOVE it when this thread is resurrected! It's brilliant!

Sadly, I don't know my mother's maiden name so I can't join in with that although my maiden name was double barrelled and rather lovely. Sigh.

I remember devouring all of Jilly Cooper's books when I was probably still FAR too young for them. My especial favourite was Imogen, which I thought was just wonderful. However, I remember being completely confused by the bit in Riders when Rupert suggests that he, Helen, Billy and Janey all 'go to bed together'. I was only about ten or eleven at the time and thought they were going to have a lovely sleepover type thing and then was terribly confused when it all ended in woe. Oh dear.

(I also read The Exorcist at around the same time. That was MUCH more confusing - although I do like to tell people that 'everything I know about sex, I learnt from reading Jilly Cooper, The Exorcist and Flowers in the Attic at an impressionable age'. grin)

PunkrockerGirl Fri 06-Nov-15 21:16:48

Does anyone know if she's writing any more, post Leo's death?

PunkrockerGirl Fri 06-Nov-15 21:14:48

My favourite was Imogen, Findo. I'm a huge tennis fan and still have a read of this one occasionally smile

tiredvommachine Fri 06-Nov-15 21:02:28

Her one liners are excellent.
Love Jilly!

<distainful scrawl in royal blue ink emoticon>

FindoGask Fri 06-Nov-15 20:51:04

Big Jilly fan here too. My mum had Harriet, Octavia, and Lisa & Co - I can still picture the covers now - and I read and re-read them all when I was far too young to understand most of her one-liners: maybe twelve or thirteen. Harriet was probably my favourite, and possibly set my expectations about romantic relationships ever so slightly askew: ever since I have had a thing for difficult, unavailable older men. And then I got found Rivals in a WHSmith when I was 15 or so and spent all my pocket money on it: I still think that must be the book I've read the most times of any book over my life. It's probably still my favourite of hers; that or Polo.

I think her books started going a bit downhill with Score! but I can't help be hugely fond of her still. Was very sad to hear about her husband Leo dying recently.

PunkrockerGirl Fri 06-Nov-15 20:49:24

My name is Mary Leadon-Glendower.
Had to buy a new copy of Riders because the old one got so dog-eared blush
Working my way through them all again, about to start 'Score' again. I have a signed copy of this one "to Punk, much love Jilly".
<preens>

ShamelessBreadAddict Fri 06-Nov-15 20:34:09

Best.thread.ever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now