Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think that Ross was in the wrong not Rachel? That Emily wasn't an absolute cow? Please can we have an old school friends debate?!

(329 Posts)
MandyMcFly Sat 02-Oct-10 13:53:41

grin

Just been watching friends...and it's been a long time since I have had a truly deep and meaningful debate about it haha.

Emily - after her and Ross split for good they acted like she was a complete bitch. Well, no actually...Ross said Rachel's name at the wedding, but she went ahead with the service. Then decided to give him another chance and went to the airport to see Ross leaving for their honeymoon with Rachel, but she still was willing to give him another chance on the conditions that he didn't see Rachel anymore. Now I know that obviously they couldn't have had Ross not seeing Rachel, but Emily wasn't actually unreasonable was she? From her point obviously it wasn't a lot to ask and she was very fair giving so many chances, right?! grin

And what does everybody think about the 'We Were On A Break!!' thing?

[thinks about things too much emoticon]

Now, no spoiling my fun, telling me to get a life please. wink grin

MandyMcFly Sat 02-Oct-10 15:10:04

anyabanya that made me laugh, 'off to google 'hobbies'

I loved Richard, but for a different reason. When I was younger I love the 3 Men & A Baby/3 Men & A Little Lady films with Tom Selleck in. I don't know my Dad, never had, so I used to tell the other kids at school that Tom Selleck was my Dad but I didn't see him because he was off making films! blush grin I always just thought he seemed so nice haha.

HocusPontas I really disliked Charlie, she was such a cow.

ShowOfHands gosh I'd never have seen it like that! Very interesting perspective isn't it??

AM I the only person who wasn't that keen on Richard?

I so can't remember the phone call when Rachel tells Ross they can work it out. I'm getting old.

But here's my fav phone call ever: www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3LnxXClu9I&feature=relate d

BitOfFun Sat 02-Oct-10 15:13:03

Yes you are Stealth. Weirdo.

Me, I found the whole Monica and richard thing a bit boring.

He wore flannel shits and had a moustache

TechLovingDad Sat 02-Oct-10 15:14:24

Stealth, no. but then, I'm not keen on any of them. Who, in real life, overthinks everything the way they did? Really?

thumbwitch Sat 02-Oct-10 15:15:24

I didn't like Monica and Richard together - although I love Tom Selleck (Magnum PI for me) - but I wasn't that enamoured of the Monica/Chandler combo either.

ShowOfHands Sat 02-Oct-10 15:15:29

Ross was always given grand gestures (missing out on his tv appearance for example to look after Rachel) to make people go awwwww.

But really he was manipulative and awful. He shouted in the face of a date (the Lake Tipidabo story) because he was horny, desperate and she was behaving like a normal person and trying to talk to him (ha ha ha, how funny). He lied to Mona about Rachel, gave her a key and then changed the locks, hid a phone message for Rachel to stop her dating again, interfered with her work plans when she was going to Paris by bribing her boss. I could go on. He was so sweet in the first few series of Friends but became a horrid caricature that I went off entirely.

BitOfFun Sat 02-Oct-10 15:16:03

Flannel shits? Yes, that would put anyone off. But you are wrong. In fact, could you be any more wrong? grin

We spend most of our time overthinking on here Techlovingdad!

BitOfFun Sat 02-Oct-10 15:17:26

Oh do go on, SoH- I am loving this grin

pmsl at flannel shits

TechLovingDad Sat 02-Oct-10 15:18:26

So Ross was actually an abuser and Rachel his enabler? Wow, it's a lot deeper than I thought.

All that, "so, what's going on here? with us? what is this thing?". It's my cock, now just sort it out and stop thinking 10 years down the line.

Wow, I'm such a catch.

Until now, I had Ross classed as a mild PITA, but now I feel as a new universe has been disclosed...

TechLovingDad Sat 02-Oct-10 15:20:01

I always thought Ross was totally wet. Now I see he's like Robert De Niro in Raging Bull.

BitOfFun Sat 02-Oct-10 15:20:03

Wow yes, Ross was an abusive piece of shit, as it turns out. In fact he probably had NPD.

TechLovingDad Sat 02-Oct-10 15:20:23

What's NPD?

BitOfFun Sat 02-Oct-10 15:21:18

Narcissistic Personality Disorder. You would have to be a Relationships board regular to get the joke, I think.

TechLovingDad Sat 02-Oct-10 15:23:14

I am a regular lurker. Shows how much I actually read it, though.

Instead of relationships, shouldn't there be a big My DP is a Prick, section?

lol at ross = robert de niro in raging bull grin

ShowOfHands Sat 02-Oct-10 15:25:18

He made a list of Rachel's flaws, he invited a heartbroken woman up to his apartment and humiliated her, just to make Rachel jealous, he treated Mona and Emily depsicably for lots of different reasons, he accused Rachel of sleeping with Mark, got in a tizz and became convinced that Emily was sleeping with Susan (convincing Carol of the same thing), he downright lied to Carol and told her that Rachel had been cheating on him with Mark. And on and on and on...

TechLovingDad Sat 02-Oct-10 15:27:14

And all with those big puppy dog eyes of his.

hocuspontas Sat 02-Oct-10 15:39:11

I didn't like Richard either Stealth. It was probably the moustache though, it was like Baldrick's slug in Blackadder.

and the checky flannel shirts

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now