to think that Ross was in the wrong not Rachel? That Emily wasn't an absolute cow? Please can we have an old school friends debate?!

(329 Posts)
MandyMcFly Sat 02-Oct-10 13:53:41

grin

Just been watching friends...and it's been a long time since I have had a truly deep and meaningful debate about it haha.

Emily - after her and Ross split for good they acted like she was a complete bitch. Well, no actually...Ross said Rachel's name at the wedding, but she went ahead with the service. Then decided to give him another chance and went to the airport to see Ross leaving for their honeymoon with Rachel, but she still was willing to give him another chance on the conditions that he didn't see Rachel anymore. Now I know that obviously they couldn't have had Ross not seeing Rachel, but Emily wasn't actually unreasonable was she? From her point obviously it wasn't a lot to ask and she was very fair giving so many chances, right?! grin

And what does everybody think about the 'We Were On A Break!!' thing?

[thinks about things too much emoticon]

Now, no spoiling my fun, telling me to get a life please. wink grin

hocuspontas Sat 02-Oct-10 14:40:43

She was either an old aunt or the housekeeper. You are not mad, don't fret.

yes "With WHOM am i speaking?" springs to mind

ShowOfHands Sat 02-Oct-10 14:42:16

They were NOT on a break. Rachel was feeling suffocated and criticised, being accused of things with Mark and she snapped. Ross walked out on the suggestion that they have a 'break', no terms discussed, no reflection. They then spoke on the phone later and Rachel told him it was stupid and she wanted to be with him. He jumped to conclusions about Mark again and had sex with somebody else. His last conversation with Rachel, she was saying let's be together, let's sort this out. Then he lied to her the next day and tried to cover his tracks. He made a stupid assumption based on nothing, slept with somebody else and then lied about it.

He was WRONG. And I could write a lot more than 18 pages front AND back about it.

Oh and Emily was Evil Brit. They all were. Hugh House whatshisname, the housekeeper, Emily's parents, drunk relatives etc all snooty, mad, inebriated. The London episodes annoyed me greatly.

thewook Sat 02-Oct-10 14:43:29

Most interesting thing about endless Friends repeats is a) the fashion and b)the impact of the Atkins diet for the girls/ painkillers diet for Chandler. Amazing, but not nice.

TechLovingDad Sat 02-Oct-10 14:44:02

To be fair, the WERE on a break.

Rachel is still hot. Boring, but hot.

They should bring out a CD of Phoebe's songs - I'd buy it!

ShowOfHands Sat 02-Oct-10 14:44:34

Phoebe and Mike definitely.

And Ross was great until he became a caricature.

rubbersoul Sat 02-Oct-10 14:44:35

I didn't get why Emily was portrayed as a bitch either- who could blame her for not wanting ross to be near rachel when he said her name at the altar?! Shouldn't have married him though...

I loved Monica and Richard together, always thought she should have chosen him tbh.

fave characters, if I had to choose, are probably rachel and joey, although chandler is very funny. Bit of a love/hate thing with ross- can be really funny but also very annoying!

HitGirlGrownUp Sat 02-Oct-10 14:45:35

The Rachel and Joshua thing made me cringe as well. The cheerleader outfit and when she met his parents, just wrong. Purely to get her RL boyfriend into the show gimmick.

Totally agree with the Atkins diet effects. Scary!

she met joshua's parents? Don't remember that one

HitGirlGrownUp Sat 02-Oct-10 14:48:08

showofhands perfect synopsis of the "On a Break" situation and from that I don't think it can be argued with that Ross behaved like a complete Pig.

HitGirlGrownUp Sat 02-Oct-10 14:50:41

Rachel stripped off to her underwear (a lacey slip kind of thing) while having a date at his place and had to go out to dinner like it because his parents turned up, he lived with them and found her like that and she told them it was the new fashion.

His Mum said something like "that money we left you was for food Joshua" implying that Rachel was a hooker.

ahh yes

ShowOfHands Sat 02-Oct-10 14:53:54

The painkiller diet was very obvious when Chandler proposed to Monica and was chubby and then, a short series break later, they told everybody and he was suddenly stick thin again.

I very much enjoyed the natural delivery of triplets with little pain, no monitoring, barely any medical staff and all of Phoebe's friends milling in and out.

MandyMcFly Sat 02-Oct-10 14:56:22

You didn't imagine June Whitfield stealth she was somebodys housekeeper! Yeah I actually said to DH this morning that they were my favourite episodes, the ones in London, they were very entertaining. Richard Branson was in it as well.

I love Hugh Laurie on the plane in that episode, where he says to Rachel 'I just want to say you are a really really horrible person' and then he finishes with 'And to me it seems perfectly clear that you were on a break!' grin Link here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXNd99IhdmA

Yes I bet she would have stealth I know it was meant to be funny most of the time but it made me feel sad for Monica.

purpleduck Sat 02-Oct-10 14:57:24

No No NO to Richard and Monica. I mean they were good, and he would have been a good parent, but he wouldn't have been as into it as Monica. And he's what, 27 years older or something???

And Ross was WRONG!!!!! Technicalities ("we were on a break") have no place in the afaairs of the heart

Sure he was allowed to be with other people, but he shouldn't have wanted to.

anyabanya Sat 02-Oct-10 14:57:48

Oh dear.

This might be my fave ever MN thread.

I am off to google 'hobbies'.

And no I do not think they were on e break. Ross was an idiot. Emily was not a bitch. Could never understand why they named their baby Emma when so close to the name 'Emily'.

And my fave episodes were deffo the ones with Divine Richard in it. Mmm.

MandyMcFly Sat 02-Oct-10 14:58:03

Oh showofhands I forgot about that! They did speak on the phone didn't he when he was in the club didn't they?! And Rachel said she didnt want a break and they could work it out. But he went off in a strop because Mark was there and slept with somebody else! So yes, I am back to being sure that Ross was in the wrong grin

Panzee Sat 02-Oct-10 14:59:10

Not sure this was the aim of the thread, but I've just ordered the Coupling DVD.

1. Emily not a bitch, but Baxendale was pregnant (hence lots of scenes with her in bed) so I'm assuming it was an easy way to conclude the story.
2. They were on a break, but that's no excuse - although I take the point about Mark and revenge.
3. Monica and Richard were brilliant together.
4. I loved Phoebe and David.
5. Rachel and Joey was a stupid romantic pairing. Although they made great housemates.
6. I loved it when the series ended on a cliffhanger, then the next one would start up where they left off, except for their hair being different and they all had tans from their holidays!

Ross
Chandler
Monica
Rachel
Joey
Phoebe

ShowOfHands Sat 02-Oct-10 15:04:23

Imagine it on here. A poster who is with a dp who is dismissive of her job, accuses her of having an affair more than once, turns up and makes a scene at her office (again more than once), insists on accompanying her on work trips because he doesn't want her to be alone with another man. She thinks they're working things out, he jumps to a conclusion again, shags somebody else, deliberately tries to cover it up, tells her he only did it because he thought she was having sex with somebody else (it's her fault he shagged somebody else) and then never, ever accepts responsibility for his actions. Even lies again about having listened to her, lies about having read her letter, failed miserably to acknowledge what it took for her to trust him again.

The leave him brigade would be salivating.

TechLovingDad Sat 02-Oct-10 15:06:01

I'll post my story in relationships, then grin

BitOfFun Sat 02-Oct-10 15:07:41

You are absolutely right, SoH.

And if a woman turned up at her DP's office with a picnic on his birthday in front of all his collegues and then threw a hissy fit when he couldn't drop everything would be rightly seen as a nutjob.

very true SoH
the barbershop quartet was cringeworthy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now