To think a wedding reception/evening do....

(28 Posts)
Boys2mam Thu 30-Sep-10 16:10:11

...in a Leisure centre is a bit naff??

KnitterNotTwitter Thu 30-Sep-10 16:12:38

YABJ (you are being judgy)

It's probably the place that they can get most people for least price.

DetectivePotato Thu 30-Sep-10 16:13:10

YABU.

Its up to people where they want to hold it. They may be able to get discount etc. If you are too much of a snob, then don't go.

2shoes Thu 30-Sep-10 16:13:30

yabu

Boys2mam Thu 30-Sep-10 16:14:19

Its my do, I just wanted to see if others thought it was rubbish.

ForgottenTomato Thu 30-Sep-10 16:17:08

I think you'll be fine... so long as you haven't cheaped out and hired half the hall (with under 8s football lessons booking the other half).

ilikewine Thu 30-Sep-10 16:18:29

Its about the marriage that matters,I would never turn my nose up at your day to many people spend to much these days.

As soon as you mention weddings the hotels and posh places think money,money,money.

Enjoy your day and who cares what anyone else thinks it what you want and what you can afford.

DetectivePotato Thu 30-Sep-10 16:19:07

Oh if its yours then I'm assuming you chose it?

Its fine. These places often have a nice room for occasions like this. Nobody will think its crap (and if they do they are snobs and not worth inviting. wink)

MmeLindt Thu 30-Sep-10 16:21:58

My brother got married in the function suite of a gym last year and it was lovely. And they were able to invite everyone they wanted to rather than scrimp on costs.

And they were allowed to use the creche since it wasn't being used that day for the children to play in. Was fab.

cat64 Thu 30-Sep-10 16:24:32

Message withdrawn

BigOfNoorks Thu 30-Sep-10 16:25:33

I saw a fabulous Barn for a wedding reception, I was amazed it looked brilliant all old beams and cottage style I have never seen anything like it. It is not where it is but how you do it, leisure centre sounds great congratulations grin.

fatlazymummy Thu 30-Sep-10 18:48:19

It's not naff at all. My evening do was held in a social club, thankfully before the days of weddings being held in stately homes and castles.It used to be normal to hold wedding receptions [and other celebrations] in church halls, working mens clubs etc, people still enjoyed themselves.If people look down on it then that's their problem. Personally I would rather be thought of as a bit 'naff' than be a snob.
Have a fantastic day.

feedthegoat Thu 30-Sep-10 18:52:00

I've been to two weddings this year.

One was a really posh expensive do. The other was in a working mens club catered by the bride.

Both were lovely but the last one was probably to best wedding I've ever been to. We had such a fantastic day.

Lonnie Thu 30-Sep-10 18:54:26

Depends on what sort. but most of them are just fine

Boys2mam Thu 30-Sep-10 20:25:46

Thank you ladies.

DP wasn't keen but I really don't care what people think so I thought you ladies could clear it up for me.

He's now agreed to come take a look so I thank you all x

BoojaB Thu 30-Sep-10 20:28:30

What about alcohol? Would they serve it in a leisure centre? You can't have a do without booze!

needafootmassage Thu 30-Sep-10 20:32:10

If anyone thinks it's naff and that somehow matters more than your marriage itself, then they don't deserve to share your special day with you.

I hope you enjoy it, wherever it ends up taking place.

CMOTdibbler Thu 30-Sep-10 20:33:50

Sounds like a great idea - plenty of room for a good dance, easy to park presumably, and I bet they do you a great price - leaving more for food and booze

PorkPieLove Thu 30-Sep-10 21:01:28

Yabu. I wouldn't think anything of it ifI were invited...sounds fine to me.

KnitterNotTwitter Fri 01-Oct-10 13:44:21

ah - apologies for the over rapid response. I assumed it was someone else's wedding.

Absolutely no problem with it myself. one of my BF had her reception in a school hall - was great :-)

emptyshell Fri 01-Oct-10 13:53:29

We had ours in a village hall (doubles as a sports hall/everything hall) and it was fantastic... meant we had more money for food and booze :D

Chil1234 Fri 01-Oct-10 13:58:08

The only drawback of leisure centres and other 'municipal' buildings is that they can be a bit on the stark side deco-wise. Friend of mine got a marquee company to line the inside of a fairly grim village hall with one of their marquees and added plenty of ribbons, balloons, flowers and streamers. Once you were inside it looked dead posh!!

nasirDZ Sat 05-Nov-16 07:12:42

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

AnaG1ypta Sat 05-Nov-16 07:16:34

Reported

LetsAllEatCakes Sat 05-Nov-16 09:39:35

The only other person's opinion who matters is your dp. If he thinks it's naff then you need to come up with a compromise or other plan. Anyone else should jog on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now