Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Flipping homework for seven/eight year olds.

(172 Posts)
HRHPrincessReality Mon 13-Sep-10 11:03:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

I don't think UABU with regard to the obvious parental help with the other childrens work, but UABU about the length of time. My DD who is admittedly in Y5 has forty, yes 40 minutes of homework to do every night. Your DS could have done his best in 15 minutes. Surely you could have winkled 15 minutes out of his day on Saturday or Sunday.

PosieParker Mon 13-Sep-10 11:06:36

WE have homework every Friday and even when busy we get this done, we also ensure we don't do too many activities over a weekend especially at the start of term. That said I'm sure you could do it tonight if you talk to the teacher.

nikkershaw Mon 13-Sep-10 11:07:48

oh dear, i'm glad my son's school isn't like that! i don't think they should get homework at all at this age though. (remembers yesterdays painful episode)

cheesesarnie Mon 13-Sep-10 11:08:40

im suprised this is his first ever homework!i agree with last poster,15 minutes a day-split it up do it earlier so hes not tired.

HRHPrincessReality Mon 13-Sep-10 11:09:33

And I should add, I really don't agree with homework for primary aged children. I struggle with the idea of it at secondary level. DH agrees with me and he is a teacher.

weegiemum Mon 13-Sep-10 11:11:15

Teachers know this. Its pretty easy to spot homework done by parents!

HRHPrincessReality Mon 13-Sep-10 11:12:09

Yes, I'd meant to add what weegiemum said, teachers are aware that Billy couldn't possibly ensure that the sticky backed plastic on the rocket didn't have air bubbles in it, or Janey couldn't possibly set up such a slick power point independantly at her age. IME, teachers prefer stuff that is less polished and has an 'individual' look about it.

mummytime Mon 13-Sep-10 11:19:03

DCs school don't do homework at junior. If the parents are going to spend this long doing their kids homework at this age, just wait until they get something serious. I'd have been inclined to go in and just say he hadn't done it, because we were too busy this weekend. But then we are notorious non-homework doers of old.

Although now some are at seniors we are much stricter about it all.

Katiehym Mon 13-Sep-10 11:20:33

I think yanbu to be annoyed at the level of parental involvement. My sons school does ask for parents to limit what they do on design led homework. My son had the chocolate bar project in Year 3 last year. the actual designing and making was all done in school!

LostArt Mon 13-Sep-10 11:29:19

There will be lots of children who didn't complete a full blown ad campaigns. You wouldn't have noticed them because they will have been stuffed into the book bags.

Let these parents get more and more competitive with each other - it would be fun to see what they have created each Monday. The teacher will know exact what each child is capable of and will be having a good laugh about it in the staff room.

Journey Mon 13-Sep-10 11:30:29

I can't believe that that was his first ever homework! My kids are only in yr1 and 2 and I spend at least 40 minutes a day on their homework. Sometimes it can be 1 1/2 hour. I'm a great believer in homework and my kids enjoy it.

The teacher will know that the parents did all the fancy stuff and not the kids so the teacher maybe more impressed with your son's work because it will look as if he did it himself.

acebaby Mon 13-Sep-10 11:34:54

YANBU and I think you did the right thing in getting him to do a smaller project himself rather than writing one for him.

It is clever of the teacher to ask the children to do presentations. 7yo's will not be able to manage to give a really complicated presentation written by someone else, and so it will be obvious which ones have been written by the parents.

Perhaps you could ask the teacher to consider giving out big projects like this on Wednesday to give you a bit more time to work on it?

amberleaf Mon 13-Sep-10 11:35:16

YANBU

This really pisses me off too!

acebaby Mon 13-Sep-10 11:36:48

Sorry - freudian slip there. I meant

'to give him a bit more time to work on it'

grin

DD has loads of homework and has for years, also in year 3. She has had homework daily 2 or 3 pages at a time.

I am glad that dd has never had to do a presentation yet though, shes painfully shy and would hate that, its took her till now to just put her hand up.

GooseyLoosey Mon 13-Sep-10 11:41:48

I'm not sure about this, I do get where you are coming from but think you may be being a bit unfair.

Ds is in Yr3 too but has had homework since Yr 1. He would be able to do his own powerpoint presentation and would spend considerable time doing it and adding sound effects and animation. He would be very proud to take it in and show everyone. He would be very hurt to think that parents were there looking at him thinking we had done it all for him. I would also be fairly hurt that the effort we sometime put in to help him would be regarded by other parents as competitive one-up-manship.

diddl Mon 13-Sep-10 11:57:33

Did he really on get the homework on the Friday?

HRHPrincessReality Mon 13-Sep-10 12:00:34

Onetoomanycornettos Mon 13-Sep-10 12:04:38

I completely disagree with over the weekend homework at 7/8 years. For goodness sake, they are at school six and a half hours a day or more, five days a week. Can't they do this vital piece of work in a couple of those thirty hours? I resent having the only two full family days of the week taken up with jumping around doing more tasks for school. I don't count reading practice which is a given every day, but otherwise, it's the weekend! My Y2 daughter has just started with the weekend homework nonsense, and it's stuff that would take five min on a weeknight. It's just insidious and I don't believe for one moment it raises standards at their age.

Chil1234 Mon 13-Sep-10 12:06:42

Teachers know when children's parents have done their homework... they're not daft. For the future, I think you have to set time aside to do homework - especially importatnt if it's a busy weekend or they have some after-school activity that they do. A year 3 child should be able to get everything done in 15-20 minutes - and the amount will increase as they move through junior school. It's the discipline of putting the time aside that sets them up for the future rather than the dazzling content of the homework.

picc Mon 13-Sep-10 12:19:56

Agree with onetoomanycornettos

Am a secondary school teacher, and can't believe pupils are expected to do homework at primary school nowadays, too. When did this all start?

If you have a weekend like that planned again, just write a note to the teacher to say he couldn't do the homework. It was his birthday, after all, and you had no notice that the homework would be coming until last thing on Friday.

everythingiseverything Mon 13-Sep-10 12:22:52

Do all primary schools have homework now? shock. No wonder society is getting less equal. This would put me off schools hugely. Hopefully by the time DS gets to school the madness will have eased.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now