dismantling DH's lego constructions

(38 Posts)
zapostrophe Sat 21-Aug-10 19:44:16

Message withdrawn

Having been forbidden from eating at the dining table the other day as DH and DD had built a big Playmobil scene but 'hadn't finished the foliage' by bedtime I sympathise.

But YANBU - in fact it's I believe a legal requirement to dissemble any structures on health and safety grounds before the hours of darkness lest they crush a family pet. wink

Chatelaine Fri 27-Aug-10 18:41:55

I do feel that you should consult DH and children before destroying dismantling. Am I right in understanding it's Lego not Duplo (thinking of the fine motor skills of the average 30 something) grin A lot of thought goes into the making/construction and my DH would spend a lot of time with DS & DD creating, very patiently, wonderful models such a bridges, demonstrating the strengths and weaknesses etc. It's the ideal play material and the whole point is that it needs work and imagination, it fosters engineering. It's that important imo. However I understand it is so inconvenient then everything is left on the dining table or wherever and no one is around to help and it's left to you to "move" it. It's a strong impluse just to want it gone. I'm sure you know all this. You need to speak to all concerned so that they have the opportunity to move models into their own space (once enjoyed by the whole household) if they want to preserve them longer. So until this happens, on balance I think YABU but it's fully understandable grin

Honeydragon Fri 27-Aug-10 18:11:56

we dismantle and rebox to rebuild the sets.

However

Ds and dh like lego, hornby and model making which is why I have four, four (!) fucking sheds in the garden and talk of a fith. I life in a 3 bed semi ffs!

The plus side is slightly less clutter in the house - the down side is the sheds.

lazarusb Fri 27-Aug-10 18:00:54

And it's mine, all mine....ha ha ha grin

suzi2 Fri 27-Aug-10 14:31:20

Oooh, you have the medieval village, I'm jealous. I have a winter toy shop on the way :-D

lazarusb Fri 27-Aug-10 14:06:37

If dh broke up my Lego medieval village I'd go MAD! However, Duplo is not the same so destroy it! wink

suzi2 Fri 27-Aug-10 13:35:56

lol, this came up on my talk roundup and I had a good chuckle. Thankfully the only person insisting we don't break up lego is DS. If I take a photo though I'm allowed to trash them.

I'm off to buy myself some Xmas lego now. Just for me. I love lego!

Morloth Sat 21-Aug-10 22:54:01

Duplo is for babies, snurk.

We have Lego creations here. The Death Star is the next thing DS1 is saving his pennies for.

He will spend an entire day building the thing piece by piece and then the next day will rip it up and chuck all the bits in the lego box.

JaxTellersOldLady Sat 21-Aug-10 22:44:46

My DS keeps his lego in his bedroom - in a HUGE plastic crate. All his starwars creations are on a large shelf (possibly 2) and are NOT to be touched by anyone.

I wouldnt dare dismantle his starships.

We are going to Legoland tomorrow, would your DH like to come and play in the test track with my DS? grin

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Spacehopper5 Sat 21-Aug-10 22:24:08

Message withdrawn

lauzb Sat 21-Aug-10 22:03:47

Duplo?! Really...?

He must be v special Zapostrophe

poshwellies Sat 21-Aug-10 21:56:16

yes,dh says dublo is for children under 5 <runs off>

If it was something mega like the Lego Death Star then I would say your DH is right and something like that should never be destroyed but should have pride of place on the mantleshelf for ever. But as its Duplo YANBU.

BeenBeta Sat 21-Aug-10 21:44:36

poshwellies - grin

KurriKurri Sat 21-Aug-10 21:21:54

I suggest you buy him his own Duplo for his nearly 40th 39th birthday, and then he can keep his creations intact indefinitely.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sat 21-Aug-10 21:16:14

YANBU.

I get told off for clearing away DH's carefully assembled train track using every piece we own so that I can hoover/DS can play with something else.

grin

poshwellies Sat 21-Aug-10 21:11:02

Piss orf beta! grin

dh has just completed a mindstorm and driven me around the bend in the process

cupofcoffee Sat 21-Aug-10 21:07:58

oops I misread the thread title, thought it said DS's lego constructions and came here to sympathise as my ds objects if his creations are broken but he is 6. grin Don't know what to say now....

We went to legoland the other day and ds had a great time. There is a good lego shop there too. Maybe you could take DH there grin

BeenBeta Sat 21-Aug-10 20:33:40

Mr zapostrophe - I feel for you mate!

What you want to get yourself is a Lego Mindstorm.

It says you can build a humanoid with it - you could threaten to build yourself a new wife.

That'll learn her! grin

maddylou Sat 21-Aug-10 20:19:21

i wouldn`t but then I`m a softie--the Scaletrix track made at Christmas once was still being stepped over in the lounge months later!!!

DH not a lego addict but my 3 adult brothers are terrible. Whenever we get together at my parents' house they immediately get the lego out "for the kids" and for the next 45 minutes you hear nothing but the scrape scrape of trying to find the right piece and then the cl-click of assembly.

emptyshell Sat 21-Aug-10 20:00:49

The first thing I heard from hubby when I told him I was pregnant was "COR I CAN GET ALL MY LEGO OUT OF THE LOFT AT MY MUMS NOW!!!"

zapostrophe (the real one not the lego nerd grin)

Can I just say YADNBU and major thanks for introducing me to the term "emotional capital".

Stunning.

McCrappy Sat 21-Aug-10 19:59:20

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now