someone opened my payslip at work

(18 Posts)
hogshead Wed 14-Jul-10 22:35:47

last month i was `technically' on annual leave before i returned to work form meternity leave.

When on mat leave my payslip was posted to my home address but in the last month forces that are higher up from me decreeded (probably to save money) that all payslips should be sent by internal mail and because of an internal cock up my payslip was sent to an office in an area where i was covering for my service (i work in the public sector) TBH i was so busy arranging childcare and worrying about my Dad (who has been ill) and going back to work i didnt notice i hadnt recieved it.

Yesterday i got my June payslip in the internal mail and it had been opened shock

Personally i dont think it couldnt have been opened in error as it has 3 sides that have to ripped off and everyone in out organisation knows what a payslip looks like.

its a small matter in the grand scheme of thinss but i was really upset and felt a bit
violated.

I've put a formal complaint into my line manager am i BU?

hogshead Wed 14-Jul-10 22:36:39

thinns? things doh!

HecateQueenOfWitches Wed 14-Jul-10 22:38:47

No. I don't think you are BU.

Nothing will ever come of it because nobody will admit to having done it, but probably there'll be some sort of communication and the guilty party will know it's due to them!

Rosieeo Wed 14-Jul-10 22:40:06

YANBU, that's just bloody rude.

IFancyKevinELevin Wed 14-Jul-10 22:40:22

shock shock shock

They need to send an e-mail around about an anonymous incident.

Out of order.

bluejeans Wed 14-Jul-10 22:40:45

YANBU - they are in those type of envelopes for a reason! I would also be complaining. Thankfully the company I work for has recently changed to electronic payslips

LynetteScavo Wed 14-Jul-10 22:41:32

YANBU! Any body would put in a complaint if this happened. Although I doubt the person who opened it will ever own up!

Buzzybb Wed 14-Jul-10 22:44:05

shock There would have been a disciplinary action take if we gave anyone a pay slip that was not theirs major serious offence in my place of work line managers were always paranoid about it YANBU

IFancyKevinELevin Wed 14-Jul-10 22:47:23

Send an email round saying that it has been sent to forensics for fingerprinting.

Kidding!

Pinner35 Wed 14-Jul-10 22:47:28

I actually did this once....and our payslips were the same sort in that I had to tear off three sides to open it. It was a genuine mistake and as soon as I realised, I took the payslip to the intended person and apologised.

RustyBear Wed 14-Jul-10 22:47:47

I don't see why it shouldn't have been opened in error - we have payslips of that type and I have to say I do tend to assume the one that's been put in my pigeonhole is mine and I don't necessarily actually check the name. There was obviously carelessness involved by someone but I don't think you need assume it was malicious.

hogshead Wed 14-Jul-10 22:48:00

i was a bit worried in case i was being a bit precious - DH is away this week with work and i'm always a bit more on edge.

the worst thing is i received my opened payslip in an unsecure internal envelope - anyone could have looked at it - it has my assignment number (which we use to claim back work expenses) my job description, how much i pay for my work car, national no, how much i warn, my pay band . . .. . . so much information!

Oenopod Wed 14-Jul-10 22:56:47

I've done it once in the dim and distant past when i had a proper job. Was handed a payslip, opened it, tried to figure out why it seemed wrong. Only then did I realise I'd been given the wrong one.

I gave it straight to the right person. And then had to hunt down MY payslip.

I don't know what you will achieve by complaining - honest mistakes happen.

IFancyKevinELevin Wed 14-Jul-10 22:58:29

But you both gave it to the person and apologised.

You didn't open it and then sneakily say nothing about it.

hogshead Wed 14-Jul-10 23:01:05

unfortunately i dont think this could be a mistake - apparently it was sat in reception area unopened for a week and someone within my team told the staff where to send it (corrently) but it came back to me opened.

Also it had the return address to payroll on the outside - it could just as easily been returned to them unopened

hogshead Wed 14-Jul-10 23:06:09

actually thinkning about it - it must have been longer than a week - we get paid on the 27th of the month and i got my payslip yesterday (13th) so thats nearer two weeks.

plus there was no note saying `sorry opened in error' like i would have attached

am i wrong in thinking its illegal to open post that is in someone elses name?

kickassangel Wed 14-Jul-10 23:12:22

like others, i can see how it was a mistake if it just went into someone's pigeon hole & they opened it without looking,
BUT if you think that wasn't the case, then raise it. mention that you are concerned due to your expenses number etc, as it could lead to the COMPANY being open to fraud.

Do it politely, but firmly. presumably, they will then have some kind of procedure to deal with this - including giving you a new number for your expenses.

nbee84 Wed 14-Jul-10 23:17:10

Another one here that has opened someone else's payslip by mistake. They all look the same, and it was only when I looked at the figures and thought 'I didn't do that much ovetime!' that I realised my mistake.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now