Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Help with dairy and gluten-free diet please?

(54 Posts)
hobnob57 Sat 23-Jan-10 21:11:55

I've been off dairy since Christmas, and am now adding gluten to the list to see if DD2's (2mths) abdominal pains and mucusy nappies improve (on GP's advice). I've done this before for DD1, but would like some new ideas for things to eat. Especially for those need-to-pig-out urges one gets when BF.

So, if you're in a similar situation or are coeliac, what have you had to eat today?

CMOTdibbler Sat 23-Jan-10 21:17:29

I had Doves Farm cereal flakes for breakfast (pretend Special K and v nice), char sui noodle soup (with rice noodles) for lunch, and a bratwurst and salad for dinner.

My top gf things are Genius gf bread - you can even have sandwiches with it !, and Rizopia pasta. And gf fish fingers

It's not that bad these days - just go to a largish supermarket and find the Free From bit. If you stand there for long enough you can get personal recommendations from other shoppers

tatt Sun 24-Jan-10 08:58:51

Sometimes I make gluten-free bread. Use a panasonic breadmaker (got one on Amazon recently) and the problem is resisting the bread.

For pigging out Sainsburys dark chocolate in the free from area is lovely as are Mrs Crimbles chocolate chip cookies - although you might need to get a health food store to order them in for you. After Eights are OK. You can also make gluten-free cake in the breadmaker. Sainsburys do frozen pizza so you could have a slice of that or munch on dates or dried fruit. Buckwheat pancakes are quick and easy to make and lovely with jam.

Breakfast for me is often rice cakes and egg - boiled or scrambled. Lunch would be something like smoked salmon salad or if I'm in a rush tinned soup. There aren't a lot that are gluten free but Heinz tomato and some of the Sainsburys bean soups are. Baked potatoes with cheese or baked beans are good - sainsburys or heinz beans are OK. You can also do gluten free pasta although you need to be very careful not to overcook it.

When we aren't eating roast dinners it's often rice, the remains of the joint and stir-fry veg. Obviously you need to be careful with sauces - either make your own or look at tomato based ones. Ragu are often good and so is Sainsburys Peking Lemon.

Have to stop writing this - I'm trying to lose weight gained at Christmas and its making me feel hungry.....

tatt Sun 24-Jan-10 09:18:15

Ooops - Sainsburys pizza is obviously not dairy-fre, sorry blush. The other things are though and so are some of sainsburys beef-burgers, although they aren't really pigging out food.

DS (7) is.

Breakfast Oz puffs (like sugar puffs)

Dinner : roast lamb, yorkshire pud (90g cornflour, 3 eggs, milk to double cream thickness, mix and cook as normal) veg

Tea : sandwich (genius bread - really quite nice) and cold yorkshire pudding with jam

Of course assorted fruit etc in there but this is the main meals

Big soup - Steak & pot is GF, this is brill in am emergency !

I 2nd standing in the free from aisle and pouncing on anyone else stood there, I have done that a few times now (DS only been diagonosed a couple of months)

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Sun 24-Jan-10 09:50:34

'Healthy Gluten Free Eating' has great recipes, including a really nice pastry which is usually difficult to make successfully when gluten free.

I think Waitrose do the Mrs Crimble's cookies.

I actually found a lot of foreign foods were easy to adapt -things like Thai chicken curry with coconut milk, or stir-fries with rice or rice noodles.

I used to make my own muesli with spoonfuls of oats, cornflakes, dried fruit and loads of nuts, with rice milk.

And I'm sure they've improved now from a few years ago, but the bread was always better toasted.

post Sun 24-Jan-10 09:55:23

Oats do have some gluten, depends how gf you need to be

DeirdreB Sun 24-Jan-10 10:04:28

I've been off dairy, wheat and sugar since October as breastfeeding food sensitive baby. The village bakery do a fab ginger cake (which I ate in one sitting!). Mrs Crimbles free from everything apple cake and ginger cakes are good. Swedish Glace ice cream was good before I excluded sugar as well! I have eaten my body weight in dates and seed bars - Lyme Regis seed and nut bars with cranberroes are my favourite!

pagwatch Sun 24-Jan-10 10:17:18

swedish glace do ice cream bars like the Magnum ones.
DS2 still won't touch them but DD will. Sweet popcorn feels indulgent if sugar isn't a thing.

You can also - if you wantto be really naughty make this recipe by converting butter to sunflower marg and using GFCF biscuits of your choice it is one of those rare recipes that tastes better made with plain.
My children eat it as fast as I can make it...

CMOTdibbler Sun 24-Jan-10 15:43:46

You need to watch Mrs Crimbles - some of their cakes (and I think the apple one is an offender) are wheat free but not gluten free.

Lots of the Eat Natural cereal bars are GF

hobnob57 Sun 24-Jan-10 19:51:57

mmmm time to go shopping methinks. Sainsbury's is miles away for us and our Tesco free from aisle is more limited I think (and so expensive!) so GFDF 'normal' foods like some beefburgers are good to know about. It's all slowly coming back to me how I lived off steak burgers on hols last time blush. Will investigate soup tins and ragu. Top tip about popcorn - I'd forgotten about that. friendly does your yorkie recipe work for pancakes too?

ATM I'm tending to eat a lot of nuts or peanut butter to 'fill up' IYSWIM so ideas to vary this are great. I found some GF museli today so am looking forward to a change from omelette for brekkie tomorrow. Have any of you tried/had trouble with Oatly oat milk? It's so much nicer than rice milk and without the arsenic but isn't certified GF.

Sorry if this sounds dim, but is cocoa butter DF?

Yes works for pancakes too. The best sausages I have found are Black Farmer (but not sure about dairy for these)

Most of our meals are meat and veg type. A lot of oven chips aren't GF so be careful. We do have a lot of "brunch" breakfasts, sausage, bacon, mush, toms, beans, eggs and hash brownies

DS eats lot of celery and peanut butter

we make a lot of spag bol type things and I add lentils to the meat mix. You could make your own onion bhajas with gram flour. Poppadoms are GF as well as most tortilla chips and salsa

hobnob57 Sun 24-Jan-10 21:02:42

ok, so on the dinner menu this week we have:
- GF spag bol
- home made fajitas with nacho crisps instead of tortillas
- baked spuds with beans and salad
- chicken stir fry
- chorizo risotto
- prob pasta & veg with tomato sauce

...unless you've got better ideas?

That looks fine

Curry and rice ?
I make a sausage casserole

Instead of roast today I made a chicken in tom sauce and mash pots & veg

savoury pancakes (mince) or even cook them and roll them for the fajitas ??

Will have a think

tatt Mon 25-Jan-10 18:05:33

More apologies blush - the tomato soup has dairy in it. However Heinz carrot and lentil doesn't, nor does Sainsburys spring vegetable. I'm afraid I never shop in TEsco.

Mince and sausages need to be chosen carefully to get gluten free varieties. I checked Birds eye quarter-pounders and they were gf/df.

Kallo organic beef stock cubes are GF/DF. e don't have to be DF now but I think I had bisto best onion gravy granules when we were.

lol tatt - I was just reading through the thread and was going to point out that the heinz tomato soup is not dairy free. I love it but have been unable to have it for aaaages now.

falafels
hummus
chicken enchilada (corn tortillas)
veg chilli
salmon fishcakes
risotto (is this gluten free?)

Awww - risotto just neeeeeeds cheese to make it yummy!

I have a good recipe for sweet potato falafel though - allegedly the one they use in Leon restaurants. Would you like it?

Oh, and if you want to make cakes and the like which are gf and df then you absolutely must buy this book. I'm sure I must be responsible for a surge in sales of this book by now, but I just can't rate it highly enough. Uses veg instead of fat, and rice flour.

OOOOOh looks fab, just ordered it for me to bake cakes for DS - ty

tartyhighheels Mon 25-Jan-10 19:25:56

Seconding or thirding the genius bread - amazing

don't forget you can still eat heinz and branston baked beans (not usre about own brand) heinz tom soup (who doesn't like a bit of red soup eh?)

You can buy doves farm gf flour both plain and self raising which is really excellent

In my opinion stick to corn pasta, it seems to hold together better and for goodness sakes do not overcook it!

Pancakes with aforementioned four is the biggest winner in our house - lovely comfort food for us.

If you want chips macain are gf and chip shops (unless otherwise stated) - gf fishfingers are a massive winner

tartyhighheels Mon 25-Jan-10 19:27:17

of and chocolate snack a jacks - amazing - a huge advance in rice cake technology

tarty - we've just discussed how she can't use heinz tom soup as it contains dairy!!!

hobnob57 Tue 26-Jan-10 10:14:00

Well my baby is a different person on this diet. She actually has settled periods where she looks contentedly around her and talks and smiles. It's lovely. Daytime sleep will come, I hope. So it looks like the diet is here to stay sad

I'd worked out about the heinz tomato soup early on. Bang went my favourite pasta bake. dierdre I'd be interested to hear how you worked out the sugar thing? What were your LO's symptoms? Despite being more settled, DD2's nappies still resemble caramel slime.

can'tsleep that book looks amazing. I'd love the falafel recipe if you don't mind typing it. The more recipes under my belt the better. I struggle at the best of times to dream up a varied menu, so please keep telling me what you've had today! Must find some GF sausages though. Sausage casserole is too good to miss out on. I'll really miss my tesco finest pork and brambley apple ones though.

I'm wondering whether I should be cooking separately for me from a nutritional point of view for DD1 (3) or whether she'll be getting enough dairy/grains through breakfast & lunch? Pasta is easy as I just pop on an extra pan, but missing dishes like tomato pasta bake seems unfair for her and DH, but heaps of work for me!

We all eat GF here. I refuse to cook 2 lots of meals amd tbh the GF corn pasta is really good and we've not noticed much difference.

Today we've had "Oz puffs" (like sugar puffs) for lunch (school) he will be having cron wraps and a chicken/tom mix and salad. Pudding he normally has fruit/yoghurt

Tea we are having chilli with peas and rice (with added "invisible" lentils) Pudding he will have a frozen smoothie

Hale and Hearty do GF cake mixes, faffel (sp ??) mixes, breakfast cereals and they are now available at Waitrose/Ocado - not had these yet, some coming tomorrow night on my delivery.

The black farmer sausage are GF & DF (just checked) and I've got these from Ocado, Co-op and me thinks Sainsburys. Some Tescos do Jimmies sausage sad not seen them locally but they where fab !

You could do stuffed peppers one night ?

hobnob57 Tue 26-Jan-10 12:49:28

Is it just my BF appetite or is it GFDF diet: whenever I eat I get MORE hungry!

Sweet potato falafel (I didn't have to type out - just C&P ). Gram flour is made from chick peas, just in case you didn't know, so is gluten free.

Makes around 18 falafel - enough for four

2 medium sweet potatoes (orange inside), around 700g in total

1½ tsp ground cumin

2 small cloves of garlic, chopped

1½ tsp ground coriander

2 big handfuls of fresh coriander, chopped (about 30g)

Juice of half a lemon

120g gram flour

A splash of olive oil

A sprinkling of sesame seeds

Salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 220C/425F and roast the sweet potatoes whole until just tender (45 minutes to 1 hour). Turn off oven, leave the potatoes to cool, then peel.

Put the sweet potatoes, cumin, garlic, ground and fresh coriander, lemon juice and gram flour into a large bowl. Season well, and mash until smooth with no large chunks. Stick in the fridge to firm up for an hour, or the freezer for 20-30 minutes. When you take it out, your mix should be sticky rather than really wet. You can add a tablespoon or so more of gram flour if necessary (the water content of sweet potatoes varies enormously).

Reheat the oven to 200C/400F. Using a couple of soup spoons (put a well-heaped spoonful of mix in one spoon and use the concave side of the other to shape the sides) or a falafel scoop if you have one, make the mixture into falafelly looking things and put them on an oiled tray. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top and bake in the oven for around 15 minutes, until the bases are golden brown.

tatt Tue 26-Jan-10 15:03:38

Problem with gluten free food is that so much of it has a high Glycaemic index that you do feel hungry again rapidly. So it's useful to include things like lentils that are lower GI. Can't remember but think baked beans may be too?

Purely in the interests of research I have invested in Genius brown bread today. Have to say it isn't nearly as good as the bread from a Panasonic breadmaker but maybe it will keep better. It is better than the other shop bought GF bread I've tried.

Checked some more soups - Heniz winter vegetable broth is suitable and there was a Baxter's bean soup and a beef consome.

Wouldn't worry about grains for your DD1 but you need to be careful about calcium for both of you.

CMOTdibbler Tue 26-Jan-10 16:41:35

The Black Farmer does some pork and apple sausages, as well as chipolatas, so check them out.

I'd cook the same for everyone - DH and DD1 can add cheese to their pasta bake etc if they like

hobnob57 Tue 26-Jan-10 17:16:01

black farmer not stocked up here sad. Will ask at butcher.

CMOTdibbler Tue 26-Jan-10 19:57:46

Most good butchers will make gf sausages for you if you ask - you might have to say that you will buy a couple of kgs to freeze if they don't normally have any demand.

Or you could order from Sally's Sizzlers who make really nice sausages, and they are delivered to you - all gf and df

DeirdreB Tue 26-Jan-10 20:42:06

Friendlypizzaeater: Where do you get wheat free corn tortillas? we used to have them but can't find them at the moment.

Great thread - lots of new ideas for me - thanks!!

Sugar: I couldn't eat dairy / sugar while pregnant as made me feel ill so stayed off for the first three months. DS was a "high maintenance" baby, non sleeper, carried alot etc. I returned to a normal diet and weaned DS but skin and bowels got quite bad. In desperation, I went to see a Kinesiologist who diagnosed Wheat, Dairy and Sugar issues. There is a DIY test you can try described in my other posts. This is not a substitute for comprehensive allergy / intolerence testing but can short circuit the "exclude, wait, reintroduce" cycle. (Other posters have described this as dangerous etc)

He is now happy, sleeping, bowels and skin improving. Bowels responded initially but took a long time to get to "normal" so might be that your DD just needs more time.

DeirdreB Tue 26-Jan-10 20:55:19

Bombay mix great for the munchies!

Deidre : here http://www.coolchile.co.uk/

They freeze really well too.

DeirdreB Tue 26-Jan-10 21:56:04

Thank you Friendlypizzaeater. I was hoping you were going to say - Waitrose / Sainsbury's but now I feel a 'proper' Mexican evening coming on!!

hobnob57 Wed 27-Jan-10 13:51:25

I don't envy you Deirdre. Not at all. Sugar is my last remaining friend. That and Tesco finest salted crisps. Mmmmm.

I was really hoping this diet would sort out DD's belly problems but she still has thunderstorms of wind in her tummy and dark bits in her nappies. I hope this hospital referral hurries up. Still, it's lovely to see her having settled periods during the day and longer naps. That said, some of that could be due to her jabs which were on Monday.

Found some FreeFrom sausages last night in Tescos, so looking forward to a casserole. I also bought a couple of recipe books - including that yummy cake one - using some amazon vouchers I had. It's still great to hear what normal folk are doing though.

Todays :

Cereal bar (tesco freefrom)

Chicken pie (at school) minus the crust, mash, veg and fruit

Tea : HM Beef and onion meatballs in a homemade tom sauce (tin toms, garlic, peppers, tom puree, celery, grated carrot) on GF spaghetti.

To make sure I keep his calcium levels up he almost always has ice cream or a smoothie for pudding

Hope this is helping

Dawm

DeirdreB Wed 27-Jan-10 18:05:55

We have been largely dairy and wheat free in our house for 2.5 years now so here are some of our meals:

Frittata - Eggs and anything (ham, veg, beans, potatoes

Noodles and meso soup with smoked salmon and peppers

Lentil Stew, shepherds pie, chicken, peppers and pasta (GF).

We have a hospital referral in two weeks so hoping for good results or at least clarification of what we should be doing!!!

tatt Thu 28-Jan-10 09:19:55

hobnob57 I have a recipe book with some GF cakes and can post recipes if you want? I substitute stork hard margarine for butter when cooking for those who are also DF.

Coeliacs who are DF sometimes find they can reintroduce dairy. Gluten damages the lining of the intestine and especially the bits that produces lactase (enzyme needed for milk). So once you have been off gluten a minimum of 2 weeks you may want to consider reintroducing dairy for a trial.

Alternatively you may want to consider Peptizyde enzymes for your diet. These help to digest both gluten and dairy. They are not suffiently effective for coeliacs but might be adequate for someone who is breastfeeding. They are expensive but so is being GF/DF.

merryberry Thu 28-Jan-10 10:04:12

waitrose hav ea new hale and hearty range. we had their gf df pancakes 4 grain mix with berry compote for bfast yesterday. excellent.

merryberry Thu 28-Jan-10 10:07:33

try the sweet potato falafel on this page

i make a really big batch, freeze half. good for snacks where a piece of toast is what you would have had. then also in tortillas dressed up with salsa and salad and wha have you

hobnob57 Thu 28-Jan-10 11:10:33

tatt thanks for the offer - I'll see what my amazon order brings. Feel free to post up your favourites though. Every little helps grin. Interesting about the enzymes. Will consider trying them when/if DD2 ever settles down. She was up all night with sore wind, only settling when attached to me sad, and more big black bits in her mucusy nappy yesterday. I'm wondering about nuts too?

Those falafels look ace. Unfortunately my oven is busticated ATM. Must get around to phoning someone about that today....

Baked spuds or Klaw's chorizo risotto recipe tonight? I'm not a fan of microwave spuds actually. Decision made smile

Emmamorr Thu 28-Jan-10 11:30:09

Morrisons do a really tasty spelt and rye bread.. it's very soft- my daughter loves it!

DeirdreB Thu 28-Jan-10 12:45:19

Spelt and rye both contain gluten, rye less so and while spelt is easier to digest that "modern" wheat, it is still a form of wheat.

notapizzaeater Thu 28-Jan-10 13:02:28

Today :

Breakfast Hale & Hearty Bee Puffs (first time - success !!!) had a bowl full with milk then ate a couple of handfuls dry.

Dinner - school roast dinner (with GF yorkshires, stuffing etc)

Tea - home made braised steak and onions with mashed pot, brocolli and sprouts

and all the usual fruit/veg/sweets snacks etc

We have the hale and hearty pancake mix, am going to make and american brunch at the weekend for the family.

hobnob57 Sat 30-Jan-10 14:10:29

I'm loving the red velvet book grin!!!!

Such a shame my oven still isn't fixed sad. I can't wait to get stuck in. 'Cooking without made easy' looks pretty useful too, but with no pics.

Found some Baxters chicken broth today. A bit salty for my tastes but plugs a gap. That said, I can empty a large bag of those Tescos finest salted crisps at an alarming rate, so I can't really talk about salt blush

Thanks for being such a help. I now feel I have the basics of some meal plans. I'm still pretty useless at lunch (it's either omelette, genius bread and banana, soup or leftovers) but will get there I hope. Fingers crossed my hunch about DD's food sensitivities being more extensive isn't right. I'm avoiding nuts for now to see of things improve.

Lipstickdipstick Wed 03-Feb-10 20:16:40

Try Antoinette Saville books available on amazon. new one just out. I make my own bread and use the same recipe for Pizza bases and then the children put their own ingredients on and so make one without cheese for myself. loads of cakes in teh books and other recipes. nak'd bars the nicest snax and Lyme Regis foods and Bendicks range of Bitter chocs, don't like Mrs Crimble too dry. Bananas great in cakes with bicarbonate of soda as raising agent, stops the drying out of cake which is what gluten free flour does. Vegetable stews with loads of beans and pulses very filling, hearty and good for you. Baked potatoes and there is a mayonaisse substitute which is OK if mixed with somthing i.e tuna. i prefer Pure Soya to Sunflower and use Olive oil in mash with seasoning. Baked sweet potatoes are delish. Go to the butchers for beefburgers usually pure beef and sausages often dairy free. Home made pesto without parmesan and rocket pesto and parsley pesto all homemade.

Lozza70 Wed 03-Feb-10 20:28:17

Have a look on the Sainsbury's website they have just relaunched their free from range.If they are not near you it may still be useful as they do have some recepies on the site for various diets.

hobnob57 Wed 03-Feb-10 23:11:30

oooh, more great tips, thanks!

tatt Fri 05-Feb-10 06:35:20

interesting looking site here, there are other GI/dairy free recipes but the low GI value of plums make this a good dessert plum tart

Cokie Fri 05-Feb-10 13:01:25

((http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/script/home.html try here))

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now