Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Coconut milk yoghurt? Available in UK?

(25 Posts)
Teafairy Thu 31-Jan-13 21:32:20

Thanks for that, i'll keep looking and get back in touch with the dietician and see if she can suggest anything. It's not a big thing if not, would just be nice to be able to offer her similar to her big sister and try and keep her calcium levels up.

CecyHall France Thu 31-Jan-13 21:22:59

Coyo is a coconut yogurt- ocado sell it, as do places like whole foods market. It's expensive and Im not sure if its enriched.

SuburbanMomma Thu 31-Jan-13 21:18:43

Oh and when I was BF and DS was still under one (we knew about the milk allergy and advice was to hold off on soya until 1) I tried making deserts with Nutramigen. We had a recipe book from the dietician at the hospital. I don't have the book anymore but anything I did try and make was foul.

SuburbanMomma Thu 31-Jan-13 21:17:08

So Delicious is the brand and I don't think it's available in the UK. We get it here in the US and they do yoghurts alternatives (though quite high in sugar), milk alternatives (though not high enough in fat for young children) and ice cream alternatives all based on coconut milk.

Teafairy Thu 31-Jan-13 20:44:16

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but...my question is basically the same as the OP. My 9 month old DD can't have dairy or soya, she is still BF-ing so is getting calcium that way, as well as through enriched oat milk in cooking (and custard!), the dietician that we saw said that DD's diet is very good but she suggested that an enriched yoghurt-y thing might be nice as well as helping with calcium levels as she starts to BF less. Have been looking around and found a few, but they are made with pea protein and pea's are a no go too. Any one found any oat/coconut yoghurts?

cleanandclothed Thu 05-Aug-10 21:26:20

i keep meaning to attempt making yoghurt with oat milk. apparently it's easy to make your own regular yoghurt just by starting it off with some shop bought stuff....

will post back if i ever get round to it lol

angelmamma Thu 05-Aug-10 21:14:10

our son has a metbolic condition and can't process protein - we asked our dietitian about rice milk and she said it has traces of arsenic - that's why its not recommended for children under 5

you can make fab ice cream with coconut milk, Nigel Slater had a recipe in the observer a few yrs back

Academicmum Thu 09-Apr-09 23:34:19

The oatly cream is much better than the alpro cream - it is less sweet. Would suggest buying in bulk though as it is difficult to get hold of. We tried the rice dessert thingys which ds2 liked them, but very sweet. I've also tried making thick milkshakes with pepti, swedish glace ice-cream (or home-made oat ice-cream) and fruit. DS2 loves these but still not quite the same as yoghurt...

trixymalixy Thu 09-Apr-09 23:16:18

I've just checked the tescos website and oatly alternative to cream is on there. I can't link to it as you need to sign in.

trixymalixy Thu 09-Apr-09 23:13:24

The big Tescos near us sells Oatly cream. It is really good. I have made succesful ice cream and potato gratin with it.

I would really like to know what id bad about Rice dream. DS drinks gallons of the stuff!!

Thanks Swampster! Brilliant! Oatly milk (do oats feed their own babies oat milk hmm) is really watery, so hopefully the cream will be a bit thicker...

mrsgboring Thu 09-Apr-09 22:10:01

I didn't think breastmilk would turn into yoghurt because of all the enzymes in it. I suppose it might if you scalded it first to kill off the enzymes and then cooled enough to add the yoghurt bacteria.

swampster Thu 09-Apr-09 22:09:04

- Oatly Cream [tries again]

swampster Thu 09-Apr-09 22:07:18

Cream [stalker emoticon]

Where did you get Oatly cream? Have been trying to find it!!!

We saw the Dietician this week and she was suggesting that Rice Dream isn't advisable due to the manufacturing process? Didn't have time to ask her about it as DD was going into meltdown.

trixymalixy Thu 09-Apr-09 21:30:01

Oatly oat cream is quite thick. I'm considering whizzing some up in the blender with some fruit. Will let you know how it goes.

DS recently has been diagnosed as cow milk protein intolerant/allergic and am struggling...

Would be quite interested if you do manage to track it down. A product called 'mimic cream' sounded great until I realized it was based on nuts (have been advised not give either DD or DS nuts as I have a severe peanut allergy...)

trixymalixy Thu 09-Apr-09 20:46:39

There are rice and rice desserts on either goodness direct or dietary needs direct, which are in yoghurt sized pots, but not as good for you unfortunately as they have a lot of sugar in them.

misscreosote Thu 09-Apr-09 20:42:19

I wish we could get it here, but I'm pretty sure there are only soya based alternatives (DD severely allergic to dairy so have spent some time looking for non dairy options...). Sorry sad

trixymalixy Thu 09-Apr-09 15:12:39

I have spent ages looking for non-dairy/non-soya yoghurt in the UK to no avail. You can apparently get rice milk yoghurt in the US as well.

You can get non-dairy soya based yoghurt starters so you could try making it yourself.

My Ds is allergic to both dairy and soya so not an option for him unfortunately.

Academicmum Thu 09-Apr-09 10:09:26

Breastmilk yoghurt? Crikey, I'm not sure my expressing skills are up to getting enough volume for that!

morningpaper Thu 09-Apr-09 09:59:29

yuck! grin No idea, but if you are breastfeeding still, have you thought about making your own?

Academicmum Thu 09-Apr-09 09:54:17

DS2 has a strong milk allergy but loves his soya yoghurts. As he is less than a year old though, I'm keen to find alternatives so that he doesn't get too much soya in his diet. I saw that in the USA you can get yoghurt made from coconut milk and I wondered if anyone knows whether you can buy this in the UK? If so, where?

Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now