Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Washing Powder and Eczema

(30 Posts)
melon1 Mon 20-Dec-04 09:39:07

Hi

I am in the process of trying to figure out what, if anything in particular, triggers dd's eczema. I have stopped using any fabric conditioner, and have been using Persil Non-Bio, but someone told me the other day that their child's eczema flared up when she used anything by Persil, and that when she switched to Fairy washing powder, it settled down. Can anyone tell me if they've tried this, and what success they've had?

cab Mon 20-Dec-04 09:42:42

As a life-long eczema sufferer I can honestly say I've never come across anyone who thinks Fairy is anything but awful for eczema.
Persil Original non bio is usually the best - but powder, not sachets of liquid.
HTH

nailpolish Mon 20-Dec-04 09:52:05

what about fairy snow?

misdee Mon 20-Dec-04 09:52:17

fairy is useless. Ariel non-bio used to work for us, but then they changed it to their quick wash formula and dd1 came out in a horrible rash, and made her eczema awful. currently using teswcos non-bio and no probs so far.

Each child reacts different, I have tried most brands available. ecover was ok, surcare is good.

melon1 Mon 20-Dec-04 10:18:15

Thanks ladies

Just woken dd up and feel like crying! She went to bed last night with fairly ok skin, and has woken up the this morning blotchy and red again. Has anyone had any luck with sudocreme? I really don't want to start the hydrocortisone again, but its the only thing that seems to work.

TetleyHallsWithBoughsOfHolly Mon 20-Dec-04 10:22:53

Have you thought about a washball/ Lakeland sell them & I've used them for a while now. They're good for general washing (if stuff is filthy I still use powder). One of my kids has eczema - but only mildly, but a friend uses one as her son has is more severely & she finds it's good.

It's one of those wierd products that you're not sure how it works...but it does!

See what you think...Washball

cab Mon 20-Dec-04 10:28:02

Sudocreme never suited me but everyone's different. You could try emulsifying ointment in bath, fucidin H for really bad bits, 1 per cent hydrocortisone for quite bad bits and diprobase for a moisturiser on it's own or with the steroids. Avoid soaps and go for very basic shampoos but avoid Johnsons products and 'Simple' products.
I'm a very poor thermoregulator so this time of year also find it's worthwhile avoiding extremes of temperature and go for cooler rather than too hot in e.g. the bath or bedroom. Wrap up well when going out but get outdoor clothes off asap once inside - even if it's a shopping centre.
Plenty of water can help too, and personally, I would avoid too much salt in the diet.

karakal Wed 22-Dec-04 17:42:11

Message deleted

TheHollyAndTheTwiglett Wed 22-Dec-04 17:44:08

I can recommend giving your wash an extra rinse cycle to make sure all the soap is rinsed out

it can help

bids Sat 22-Jan-05 23:21:30

You should have a go with Melaleuca's lovely laundry products. Most brands use fillers and caustic chemicals which leave residues that can irritate skin.
This uses natural ingredients.
I've been using it for a year and clothes get clean and are very soft.
See noticeboard small ads healthy homes, we are showing these products next week in the south and east, or e-mail me for info
joannabrett@hotmail.com

SPARKLER1 Sat 22-Jan-05 23:30:04

my dd has very sensitive skin and last year she had a huge flare up after I used a novelty bubble bath. never again. I always buy washing powder and a seperate softener but make sure that they are labelled sensitive. Feel for you.

sievehead Sat 22-Jan-05 23:33:05

i get terrible problems with my skin, and find that Fairy is the only one that is ok. I think its all the other things we use in the bath etc that trigger it. Have you tried Oilatum in the bath for her?

vicdubya Sun 23-Jan-05 20:57:59

I use Surcare washing powder & softener, it was recommended to me by several friends with kids with excema.

mears Sun 23-Jan-05 21:00:06

I use Persil non-bio and comfort pure.

Boots have a powder recommended for eczema and sensitive skin. I tried it but didn't see a difference.

Blossomhill Sun 23-Jan-05 21:00:08

Can I say that the best washing liquid and conditoner I have ever used is Asda's own brand. I buy the non-bio and sensitive conditioner. It is by far the best for there skin (dd and ds both have flare ups still). Fairy brought both of there skin up really badly.

leahbump Sun 23-Jan-05 21:04:43

I have found that using any dteregent makes ds skin go awful- I just use the washballs.

I've really noticed the difference on all our skin as dh also has v dry skin.

alibo Wed 26-Jan-05 14:42:50

where can you buy surcare from??

Tiggus Wed 26-Jan-05 14:54:46

Surcare available at Asda, Waitrose, Tesco. Filetti also good. Otherwise hot cycle no detergent.

wanda Thu 27-Jan-05 09:51:59

Ds (four months) had mild excema over his forehead and some patches on his back and tum. Switched to Fairy recently in the hope that this would ease but his skin has got far worse over the last few days and mostly over his body. Was begining to think Fairy was responsible so am interested to see the comments about this powder. Am out to get something different today!

twiglett Thu 27-Jan-05 09:59:52

I switched from Persil Non-Bio to Persil Non-Bio with aloe-vera when DS was 18 months old (after testing a trial pack) and he developed really bad excema all over

I complained to Persil .. they said to try an extra rinse in the washing cycle to ensure all the detergent is rinsed away (they also said that it might have been a slightly different formulation to the 'trial pack' [anger]
but refused to tell me what the difference was so I could avoid in future .. they did send DS a teddy bear .. gee thanks )

I switched to Fairy but didn't find it a good product then switched back to Persil non-bio and have had no problems

I think you just need to trial things

.. you can tell if its a contact excema by where it is .. backs of legs and arms and torso tend to come out worst HTH

donnie Thu 27-Jan-05 10:00:46

we use Ecover washing liquid, it's available at waitrose, sainsbury etc. They also so a good range of other things including hand wash. No chemicals and very effective.

PhDMumof1 Thu 27-Jan-05 10:31:10

Has anybody used clothes by excema clothing . com ? Interested to hear recs for nightwear.

misdee Thu 27-Jan-05 10:33:17

yes. my dd's live in those pj's. they are excellant.

PhDMumof1 Thu 27-Jan-05 10:39:52

Thanks. Will check out the range.

ecomum Thu 03-Feb-05 20:50:19

Hello. I was using ecover but I've just started using ecoballs and I must say they are marvellous. It certainly beats rinsing all ds's clothes, towels and bedding by hand!! Saves so much time and everything comes out so soft. Would definitely recommend.

Freddiecat Thu 03-Feb-05 21:28:54

My DP gets eczema spots and we used to use Dreft machine wash powder (it also contains NO bleaching agents so is nice to clothes too) and it was absolutely fine for his skin. Then they stopped doing it. So we tried Ecover liquid but that was no good - however Ecover non-bio powder seems fine.

That said - DD now has eczema rash all over. Doctor has prescriibed her 0.5% hydrocortisone for the bad spots and aqueous cream on her whole body which really seems to help.

ChicPea Thu 03-Feb-05 23:04:51

Freddiecat, Dreft is no longer available? In your local store or everywhere? Used to love it.

alibo Sun 06-Feb-05 14:10:25

thanks to those who recommended Surcare; ds's excema has almost gone!!

ChicPea Mon 07-Feb-05 17:32:22

That's fantastic Alibo!

alice2505 Mon 10-Dec-12 04:32:08

I have suffered from Eczma all my life and have spent 20 yrs using creams drs recommend that do nothing or just make it worse. However i recently found a website called chemistdirect.co.uk that has a whole section for Eczma. I use the oiltum bath oil the soap and eumocream all of which really helps.
Hope this helps people xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now