Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Bags under eyes

(9 Posts)
cauliflowercheese14 Mon 21-Nov-16 12:16:00

DD (3) has a gluten intolerance and though we've removed that from her diet, she often has bags under her eyes and looks awful (she also has frequent colds too due to preschool). I've read that allergies can cause puffy eyes and wondered if anyone else has experienced this? I'm worried she's allergic to milk or something else, otherwise she's seemingly healthy.

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 21-Nov-16 12:19:23

Dd1 has this.

She does suffer from eczema and asthma although the episodes are very rare now which is good...

But she is soooo pale. She is lighter than all the kids in her class

And she always looks like someone's punched her despite sleeping between 10 and 11 hours a night

GreenAndWinter Mon 21-Nov-16 12:23:09

Ds1 has this too. He often looks pale and puffy with shadows under his eyes. It's worse when his asthma flares up.

cauliflowercheese14 Mon 21-Nov-16 13:18:48

Ah thanks - that's very reassuring, she also has eczema but it's well controlled. Do you both have food allergies going on as well?

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 21-Nov-16 13:22:58

I've always suspected something nit I have no idea. We currently have no known allergies.

But asthma and eczema and hayfever are often accompanied by allergies aren't they? <awaits correction >

cauliflowercheese14 Mon 21-Nov-16 14:33:53

Yes I believe so. DD has never been formally tested but clearly has a reaction to gluten. I'm wondering if there's something else going on too though like dairy.

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 21-Nov-16 14:53:47

We already avoid dairy which has helped with her eczema. But I've had the feeling fir a long time now that I'm missing something.

When she was a toddler she reacted behaviourally to some medication. The same medication when given in tablet firm caused no problems so whether it was the colourings or sweeteners or flavourings I don't know but something sent her bananas.

cauliflowercheese14 Mon 21-Nov-16 22:48:36

I think I'll try avoiding dairy for a couple of weeks and see if it improves.

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 22-Nov-16 13:58:53

Trouble is if your dd has a problem with milk, many who are intolerant to the protein
Are also Intolerant to soya. (Around 40 %)

Dd2 was cmpi (also had the eye thing)

If you weren't all ready cutting out gluten I doubt avoiding soya and milk would be a big deal. However I wouldn't advise cutting out so much stuff without seeing a gp first. Just to be safe.

I do have to say though that dd1s asthma improved dramatically when we but out dairy and she's hardly ever ill now.

The only concern is really have is that despite 10-11 hours sleep every night she is always moaning she's tired is a nightmare to get up in the morning and still looks like she's been up all night playing Computer games or something....hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now