Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Still reacting to amino acid formula!! Please help!!

(10 Posts)
twirlymuma Thu 27-Oct-16 19:23:47

Where do I begin!
I have a 4 month LB. Since he was about 2 wks old we have had problems with feeding. We thought he might have a milk allergy (throwing up, wind, failure to thrive, rash) this was confirmed by a Dietcian. We tried nutramigen for 2.5 months. To begin with things improved but then symptoms returned. Switch to alfamino, he is still reacting! The sickness has calmed but the eczema has gotten so bad! He still has mucous poos and they are more explosive! He cries at the end of a bottle now and has bad wind and refuses to settle at night. I feel there is something in the formula that's not agreeing with him but I don't know what???
He also has reflux and is on ranitidine for this.
Anybody had anything similar? Any suggestions? Becoming so desperate now, I'm so emotional due to lack of sleep and feel so hopeless. I don't know what to do??

canteatcustard Thu 27-Oct-16 23:31:36

completely changed protein type allergy milk? not partially changed?

if so carry on. The gut will take some time to heal after the previous formulas.
I think a month is suggested as best time to give a allergy milk time to work.
I would only stop if he isnt thriving and loosing weight. get him checked by GP for peace of mind.

The gut is inflamed by poorly digested milk going through system, and this does take time to settle.

I know how tired you feel, have been there.
What else have you tried? e.g proping cot legs? slings ?
what other support have you had?

Pocketsizedpixie Tue 22-Nov-16 22:00:27

If you've trialled the alfamino for a few weeks you could try asking to switch to neocate, which is also amino based. I think they are very similar, but a slightly different recipe might suit him better?

fraggle84 Sun 27-Nov-16 07:45:20

Neocate

GwendolynMary Sun 27-Nov-16 07:50:46

Yep, neocate is more broken down than alfamino. Alfamino is not for true allergies, rather better suited for intolerances.

And ranitidine can cause loose bowels, so keep that in mind. Have they discussed omeprazole for the reflux? Getting the stomach acid under control helped us enormously.

RayofFuckingSunshine Sun 27-Nov-16 08:05:53

Gwen - I thought alfamino and neocate were both completely synthetic formulas? The only difference being the oil and sugars each company choose to use.

GwendolynMary Sun 27-Nov-16 08:46:53

Ah, I'm in Oz and used Allerpro. The paed told me it was the same as alfamino/pepti jnr, which wasn't as broken down as neocate. Possibly very different on the other side of the world, my apologies!

RayofFuckingSunshine Sun 27-Nov-16 08:58:20

That's okay then! I was having a slight panic as my DD has alfamino on prescription as a milk substitute in foods, but we haven't used it yet (bf) We tried the hydrolysed Pepti and it ended with her in hospital so you saying that made me panic.

GwendolynMary Sun 27-Nov-16 09:03:30

Oh how terrifying, you poor things. Hospital sounds awful! Good luck with the alfamino when you do try it.

Have you planned your dairy binge when you (ages from now I hope) finish BF? It got me through some long, long nights of feeding, dreaming of cheesecake topped with ice cream...

RayofFuckingSunshine Sun 27-Nov-16 09:05:13

It's how I spend my life. Dreaming of pizza and chocolate. Waitrose does an amazing chocolate ice cream mixed with orange sorbet that will probably be my exclusive diet for a week when this is all over.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now