Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

HELP! My daughter has to be on a strict dairy free diet

(12 Posts)
becks130 Sun 23-Oct-16 19:10:02

My 6 year old daughter suffers from chronic idiopathic constipation with a slow moving lower bowel and mega bowel. She has suffered from this since 2 years old and they have now said to try a dairy free diet but I'm struggling to find nice treats, has anyone got any ideas? Also I'm struggling up find a milk alternative that she likes, we have tried soya, almond milk and coconut rice milk! Is there any other suggestions?

Thanks x

talulahbelle Sun 23-Oct-16 19:11:51

Oat milk is quite creamy, doesn't work in hot drinks but otherwise is nice.

Soya ice-cream tastes like cheap vanilla ice-cream.

Chocolate bourbon biscuits are dairy free.

Good luck x

cherrypiemay16 Sun 23-Oct-16 19:14:44

Sainsburys free from range is good for chocolate things. If she can have soya you're fine as almost all chocolate has soya lecithin in it. I love m&s iced spiced buns. Bourbons, Oreos, ginger nuts. I like Oatly milk and they do chocolate flavour too. I'm off soya too so my options are a bit more limited but apparently Aldi are great for dairy free treats smile

Pancakeflipper Thu 27-Oct-16 19:52:08

Poor thing - she's having a tough old time

My 8 yr old likes Oatly milk.
He hated all the others.
Meringues are great!!!
The Swedish Glace icecream is ace
Tesco's do some dairy free like magnum icecream lollies that my son declares 'amazing'
Oero's are dairy-free, some versions of cherry bakewells/Jaffa cakes etc. You'll get expert in label reading.
Betty Crocker also does some cake mixes (there's a brownie one) that have no dairy in if you need to make a quick batch of something up. And Betty Crocker does this ready made choc icing stuff which again is great for quick buns.

Stork do a Original Baking Block - this is ace for cake making.

Jus Roll do some products like pain au chocolates that are dairy free and some of their ready made pastry is too (as are some of the supermarket own brands).

And we make lots of flapjack cos it is easy.

Pancakeflipper Thu 27-Oct-16 20:00:30

Forgot to mention Party Rings... They do mini-bags that are great when on long walks and picnics.
Also Hotel Chocolat do some things that dairy-free. They are getting in their Xmas stock and there's some lovely treats for children. I have always found the staff to be super helpful. They seem to offer us a taster when we enter the shop and DS2 always says " I am dairy-free so no thanks" and they always get him something he can have.

pashmina696 Fri 28-Oct-16 13:24:31

Its daunting, but it isn't too difficult once you get used to it. tesco/sainsbury gingerbread minis are dairy free, as are the basic cupcakes in sainsbury, sainsbury's basic garlic bread and a lot of frozen garlic bread is dairy free. if you order pizza then papa johns base is dairy free and they have a "remove all cheese" button. restaurants are good at swapping butter for olive oil, and flora have just launched a dairy free spread. the free from section in tesco has just launched a lot more products and many more are now also dairy free too. for yogurts, we often buy jelly as a substitute, my son is ok with soya so we get soya yogurts, and swedish glace ice cream and moo free chocolates, or supermarket own brand free from chocolate lollies.

becks130 Mon 31-Oct-16 14:09:48

Thanks so much! We are finding it all ok at the moment but still haven't managed to find a milk alternative, I think we've now tried 6 different Types shock

PragmaticWench Tue 22-Nov-16 22:04:09

Oatly also do small cartons of 'cream' that are good for cooking, say for creamy pasta sauces. Think Waitrose sell them.

woof67 Fri 25-Nov-16 17:38:01

My daughter LOVES alpro hazlenut milk and I love alpro cashew milk - tastes like normal milk in tea

woof67 Fri 25-Nov-16 17:44:35

PS My daughter had similar longterm constipation issues which lead to megarectum & soiling. She stopped eating dairy last spring with magic results - everything now normal!

Ditsy4 Fri 25-Nov-16 17:49:03

Sainsbury's makes several types of dairy free ice cream. I think you have to persist a bit with the milk. Try hot chocolate Green and Blacks and almond or hazel nut milk.

randomsabreuse Fri 25-Nov-16 17:57:31

If she likes chocolate have you tried the dark chocolate Almond milk. Is my favourite thing ever - I now prefer it to normal milk.

We do a fake "pizza" for my DD with hummous instead of cheese which gets hoovered up by us when she loses interest (15mo...).

Bourbons, nice biscuits and some dark chocolate (Tesco and Sainsbury's 74%) are free from dairy and soya. The milk chocolate substitutes I found horribly sweet tbh.

Watch crisps - some salt and vinegar crisps contain dairy as well as the obvios cheese/soured cream flavours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now