Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Allergic to wedding ring?

(5 Posts)
HughLauriesStubble Sat 22-Oct-16 10:07:47

Got married recently and every time I wear my wedding ring my finger breaks out in a rash. I have allergies to certain chemicals in soaps so am careful to avoid them and wear gloves while cleaning etc so I don't think it's a soap related thing. I've worn my engagement ring constantly on the same finger for the last 6 years with no issues. So I'm wondering if there's some alloy in the wedding ring that might be causing the rash? I'm a bit stumped to be honest. Both my engagement and wedding ring are 9ct gold.

Elllicam Sat 22-Oct-16 10:11:07

I was the same with mine, I put clear nail polish on the inside and it gives me enough of a barrier for me not to react.

HughLauriesStubble Sat 22-Oct-16 18:47:26

Brilliant thanks elli I'll give it a go smile

Elllicam Sat 22-Oct-16 19:31:40

Hope it works for you smile

lastnightiwenttomanderley Sat 22-Oct-16 19:49:46

It may be that the alloy mix is different to your engagement ring - both are about 60% 'non gold' so the mix may include something you are allergic to, or more of it to cause a reaction.
Was it made for you or from a high street jeweller? They might be able to assist.
Personally, for something I'd wear every day (hopefully) for the rest of my life, I'd try and find an alternative ring I didn't react to. I appreciate that might not be the answer you wanted though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now